• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

amigastar

Ya I’m officially trash with Ryu lol

Main problems are, my old habits of wanting to do cr.MK into hadoken, it’s not safe on block anymore and that’s fucking me up. I always default to doing that lol, I either get punished on block or DI.

Speaking of Ryus cr. MK, it’s a decent poke, but so many times after a jump in or a short block string I throw it out and it doesn’t reach, it’s range is shorter then it looks. This his has been screwing with me as well.

Finally, the input short cuts in this game drive me a little crazy. Sometimes I’ll be walking forward and throw a hadoken but the game registers my forward walk and reads it as me inputting shoryuken instead. What’s even worse is getting a shinku hadoken when I just want a DP to come out. I looked in the options menu but there’s no way to turn off input shortcuts. Would really love this feature. Very frustrating to have a move come out that you didn’t want and then have that mistake decide the match. Obviously this doesn’t happen with charge characters, so next week I may just go back to playing one of the charge characters.
Isn't that what the Negative Edge option is for? On or off? But you probably tried it out already.
Maybe i'm wrong, though.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Conversation started on twitter with some pros complaining that the game was too hard. Max and others of course had to make content out of it lol. I blame the great dumbing down for it in some ways lol. People got too comfortable with that trend.
SF6 has more depth to it than even SF3, but since it's also more approachable thanks to the slower speed and easier execution (as well as modern controls) it sounds like it's dumbed down.

Personally, i approve of the easier execution. motion inputs are cool and a necessity in fighting games, but should not be as tight as they were in the 90s/2000s games. I shouldn't be struggling to pull off a basic hadouken in SF of all games

However, i'd like "turbo" to be brought back into SF. After SF3 it just isn't common anymore, and turbo gave a chaotic energy to many of SF's best matches. It can't be that hard to increase the game speed... right?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, one minor criticism i have of SF6 that probably no one will have oher than me... the camera. I don't like how it's straight on like the 2D games. SFV had this problem too, but i would've appreciated the slight tilt that the SF4 camera had. I know it might hinder competitive gameplay, but it added a bit of a cinematic flair to the game, and helped it feel more dynamic.
Most people will probably not remember what I'm talking about, so here's 2 videos where you can compare gameplay side by side

see how the camera slightly sways and tilts depending on how high up you are, how close you are to the enemy, etc. It's very subtle but you'll definitely feel it, if not be able to notice

[Sigma]

ProblemX(Lily) beat Idom(Manon). One of the few match ups I like for Lily, he(ProblemX) got a good draw for his first match. And of course Kakeru crushed it against NL. Great match between Zhen(JP) and Bonchan(Luke). AngryBird(Ken) vs BigBird(Marisa) was also great with an lol ending. You know AngryBird has to be sick af right now.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

JabhiM(Chun) beat Tokido(Ken):lollipop_bomb:. Rare footage of Tokido cracking too.

EDIT: Well that largely went the way I expected although ProblemX had a chance to steal a couple of games. The Lily/JP matchup is stupid hard for Lily. Akainu making the most of that last minute invite. His Guile is clean.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Its called Button Release Input in SF6. Please report back if it solved your problem

I will mess around with it later today, been so busy the last couple days, haven’t had much time to try

Edit.
I don’t think negative edge is the issue. It’s a combination of sloppy inputs and the shortcuts , like you can press a series of down and forward motions and a DP will come out. There’s some kind of shortcut implementation in the game. It is what it is I guess.

Last edited:

nikos

I don't think he looks as annoying to play against as I had imagined. Hopefully I'm not wrong about that. Kind of looking forward to trying him out.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
His animations look great (all the characters do)
But I’m just not the biggest fan of him.

Also made the mistake of starting Honkai Star Rail…. It’s amazing

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Haven’t gotten a chance to try this yet. Are people playing more with classic or modern controls?

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
Haven’t gotten a chance to try this yet. Are people playing more with classic or modern controls?
Even as a rookie, most opponents in ranked seem to be using classic. That’s probably why I stomped all over them and got to silver rank despite being completely new to the series and barely knowing what to do.

I tried to use classic, but it’s too frustrating with a controller. Having your special only actually trigger one out of four times isn’t fun.

Dr. Suchong

The menus in this game are an absolute cluster fuck of unnaviagable, spiderwebbed bullshit.
Just changing my title gave me an aneurysm.
Had very little chance to play lately, but limped to Gold with Marisa.
She's good, but I don't have much of an answer to anyone who's half decent at zoning.
Also her anti air game is lacking imo.

Had very little chance to play lately, but limped to Gold with Marisa.
She's good, but I don't have much of an answer to anyone who's half decent at zoning.
Also her anti air game is lacking imo.
Anti airs are generally dependent on the jump arc of the opponent, so some characters have multiple anti airs depending on the situation. For instance, JP's cr.HP is really good for close jumps, but his st.HK works much better for jumps from a longer distance since he sticks his leg out at a long upward angle. Air to airs are an option as well, depending on which button you use. You can hit the opponent mid flight while avoiding an annoying trade of hits if you are moving backwards as well if you choose. This is all general, and there are some wonky specific situations like opponents who can change their jump arc with a diving attack, but hopefully this helps a little bit.

Last edited:

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
This game is like a mini-revival that started with SFIV. If there was ever a time for SRK forums to come back, it would be now. There's nowhere to talk shop. Don't even ask about the Steam forums...it's just a bunch of people complaining/white knighting modern controls.

I could have sworn this place used to to have forums dedicated to Street Fighter...Where did they go?

This game is like a mini-revival that started with SFIV. If there was ever a time for SRK forums to come back, it would be now. There's nowhere to talk shop. Don't even ask about the Steam forums...it's just a bunch of people complaining/white knighting modern controls.

I could have sworn this place used to to have forums dedicated to Street Fighter...Where did they go?
Is a whole forum really needed though. Feel like ots There's enough room to discuss the game.

I'm stil waiting to get on. What's the deal with the modern controls I keep hearing about? They worth using.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
I’ve retired from this game. Classic controls are unreliable on the game pad, and I don’t feel like dropping $300 on an arcade stick. Modern controls are actually fun, except the reliance on partial assisted combos to perform any combos of substance ruins it for me.

The skill range in this game is weird. I can get to silver with any character only using anti-air and sweeps. Then I am suddenly thrown in with people who have ten-string combos memorized and any false move leads to losing 25% health.

I don’t know. Every match just feels like poking back and forth until someone makes a mistake, which leads to a “punish combo”. I don’t feel like we are actually fighting.

Last edited:
It didn't have a forum, just OTs like this one, but pretty much all the SF/FGC players left here when the gaf/era split happened; they asked me to leave with them because I made the OTs for SF5 and wanted me to continue on era.
It's a shame cause we had some top level players in here like FluxWaveZ

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
Is a whole forum really needed though. Feel like ots There's enough room to discuss the game.

I'm stil waiting to get on. What's the deal with the modern controls I keep hearing about? They worth using.
Well, I just remember SRK having sections dedicated to each character, with specific discussions on setups, frame data, matchups and combos. On top of that, there was general overall game discussion. I think that this game is kinda bringing back the folks that skipped SFV, including myself. I mean, I bought all the seasons, but the gameplay just wasn't compelling enough for me to want to lab and learn, like it was with IV and is with VI. Dedicated forums would kinda just help organize thoughts and help learn the game.

If any game needs forums, it's this one, simply because of the meta and the mental stack. You've got 1 bar at the top that's basically your ex meter, stun bar and movement bar all in one. Then you've got 3 levels of super arts to keep track of. And on top of that, if your opponent glows green, they're about to rush you down, but if they glow red, you've got to mash on your Drive Impact button. There's so much going on.

Don't even get me started on modern controls.

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
It didn't have a forum, just OTs like this one, but pretty much all the SF/FGC players left here when the gaf/era split happened; they asked me to leave with them because I made the OTs for SF5 and wanted me to continue on era.
It's a shame cause we had some top level players in here like FluxWaveZ
Yeah, I remember. I used to lurk here back when NeoGaf wouldn't let you use a Gmail account and you needed something else in order to even sign up. I had to sign up with my post graduate college email address. It felt mad exclusive.

Damn, that's a shame.

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
I’ve retired from this game. Classic controls are unreliable on the game pad, and I don’t feel like dropping $300 on an arcade stick. Modern controls are actually fun, except the reliance on partial assisted combos to perform any combos of substance ruins it for me.

The skill range in this game is weird. I can get to silver with any character only using anti-air and sweeps. Then I am suddenly thrown in with people who have ten-string combos memorized and any false move leads to losing 25% health.

I don’t know. Every match just feels like poking back and forth until someone makes a mistake, which leads to a “punish combo”. I don’t feel like we are actually fighting.
It's very contrary to what we're used to with street fighter. In every game prior, you could use buttons to poke, pressure and push your opponent around. Throwing buttons out was always dangerous, but in this game, you really can't just press buttons or someone uses DI, eats your move and crumples you for stupid damage. I feel like the people who are good at this game are the ones that can develop that twitch reflex of hitting DI as soon as they see a red flash happen on screen. I'm 42, my reaction time is shot, so I'm stuck half-utilizing the systems in place because they require cat-quick twitch reactions.

Naked Lunch

This post pretty much nails it.
Third Strike dumps all over this mess. Really not even close.
Its basically a sit, and counter attack fighting game. Punish into your memorized max combo. Rinse repeat. Gone stale not even a month later.

It's definitely lacking at the moment, but that's part of a new Street Fighter since they rebuild from scratch every time. Coming off the heels of SFV and it's final updates that left an incredible polished and balanced game with lots of variety in characters and styles, SF6 is a little hollow at the moment. Every mainline Street Fighter release is always a bit reserved and tame from what I remember. Over years it's updated, balanced and polished to the later and final versions that we love. This game is in the initial stages of the SF Cycle.

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
You're def right that the first iteration obviously requires polish, but I definitely think this is the most polished a first street fighter iteration has ever been.

In terms of single player, there's a whole game you can play that's tens of hours long if you're so inclined. This was definitely intentional due to the backlash from V.

In terms of game systems, there's so much new stuff, but it all works once you lab how to incorporate it into your gameplay. Drive Impact, Drive Rush, Drive Parry and Burnout are a lot to take into consideration while punching or getting punched in the face and getting mixed up, but that just means the learning curve is steep, but not impossible.

Modern controls make the game accessible, and can make any average player feel like they're ready for EVO. Granted, it will be a false sense of accomplishment due to the many setbacks modern control imposes in exchange for 1-button supers, but it won't really matter until high level competition.

The only thing VI is missing that made IV so endearing was an actual arcade release...that and the support of the SRK discussion forums community.

They're almost all on Discord now.

I think there's a bit of rose tinted glasses situation with the SRK forums too. They had dedicated threads sure but the activity is nowhere close to what you find in Discord communities now. Even the information is better since most of them have google docs with anything you need to know from combos to character specific punishes.

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
Less rose tinted and more because it was better than what we had prior, which was grainy YouTube videos or worse, VHS tapes of matches months old. We've definitely come a long way from tech taking months to travel across the country, and I think that was one of the reasons the forums shut down...there were so many options popping up, from the rise of Eventhubs, to all the online content being produced, to yes, inevitably Discord. It didn't make sense to maintain something that big, when there were so many other choices and options.

It was nice going right to the Sakura forums and reading threads started specifically on how she fought Fei-Long.

You're def right that the first iteration obviously requires polish, but I definitely think this is the most polished a first street fighter iteration has ever been.

In terms of single player, there's a whole game you can play that's tens of hours long if you're so inclined. This was definitely intentional due to the backlash from V.

In terms of game systems, there's so much new stuff, but it all works once you lab how to incorporate it into your gameplay. Drive Impact, Drive Rush, Drive Parry and Burnout are a lot to take into consideration while punching or getting punched in the face and getting mixed up, but that just means the learning curve is steep, but not impossible.

Modern controls make the game accessible, and can make any average player feel like they're ready for EVO. Granted, it will be a false sense of accomplishment due to the many setbacks modern control imposes in exchange for 1-button supers, but it won't really matter until high level competition.

The only thing VI is missing that made IV so endearing was an actual arcade release...that and the support of the SRK discussion forums community.
If I could "fix" one issue I have with this game, it would be to make it a bit less homogeneous. It feels nice to play and it's a really great game, especially for a first run like you said. I do think the drive mechanics make things look and feel more homogenized than I'd like. The V-System was so distinctive for each character, but the Drive System tend to make things look the same. Of course they are character differences and whatnot, but I wish they were more distinctive like they were in SFV. I'm sure this is something that will get better slowly over time though, so it's more of an observation right now than a hard gripe.

Edit: Here's a nice Rashid comparison

Last edited:

TheRetroK1d

Neo Member
I agree...although I think that's a good thing in terms of learning the game as a whole. Being stuck in Plat 1 limbo, I realize there's a lot I need to learn about each character in order to know how to fight each matchup better. The V system was daunting because you literally had to learn not only moves, combos and gimmicks of each character, but also their V-Trigger variations and V-Skill properties. This was one of the reasons I stayed in the training room and never went online. Maybe I'm being lazy, but less to learn for each character gives me (slightly) more confidence in fighting other characters.

PadBros, I already have the older model Hori fight pad for Xbox (The Fighting Commander), but I was looking to get a second one for local play. The FC is hard to find now not second hand, so I was looking at the Octa.
7Q1MIK3.jpg

Does anyone have experience with it? From my “research” the Xbox version needs a firmware update to make the Dpad work right, but it’s like $40 on Amazon so I don’t if it’s worth it.

Labolas

PadBros, I already have the older model Hori fight pad for Xbox (The Fighting Commander), but I was looking to get a second one for local play. The FC is hard to find now not second hand, so I was looking at the Octa.
7Q1MIK3.jpg

Does anyone have experience with it? From my “research” the Xbox version needs a firmware update to make the Dpad work right, but it’s like $40 on Amazon so I don’t if it’s worth it.
I've just been using PS4 fighting commander still so I can't really tell you if that's a good controller or not, but if you're familiar and comfortable with that style of dpad and button layout, I'd say go for it.

I've been messing around with Chun Li and holy shit, she's fun. I always found Chun kinda boring to play in some ways to other characters but this version of Chun is kinda nuts, she isn't just a charge character anymore, she's a hybrid and she's better off for it. Also the mods for Chun is great as well. Chun players eating well.
291-1687872624-1023832546.jpeg

Last edited:
I've just been using PS4 fighting commander still so I can't really tell you if that's a good controller or not, but if you're familiar and comfortable with that style of dpad and button layout, I'd say go for it.

I've been messing around with Chun Li and holy shit, she's fun. I always found Chun kinda boring to play in some ways to other characters but this version of Chun is kinda nuts, she isn't just a charge character anymore, she's a hybrid and she's better off for it. Also the mods for Chun is great as well. Chun players eating well.
291-1687872624-1023832546.jpeg
I don’t have the game yet actually. Played the beta a decent amount and I’m probably gonna main Kim. My usual mains are Vega and Ibuki, but I don’t think either of them will be DLC anytime soon or possibly at all. Kim has an Izuna Drop and “Ninja” style shenanigans so I took to her in the beta pretty quickly.

Can’t decide amongst Juri, Chun, or Cammy as a secondary main. Always messed with them as side characters in other games. The only caveat to Chun is she still has charge moves and I play charge characters much better on stick, and I don’t want to buy a new one just for one character.

Labolas

I don’t have the game yet actually. Played the beta a decent amount and I’m probably gonna main Kim. My usual mains are Vega and Ibuki, but I don’t think either of them will be DLC anytime soon or possibly at all. Kim has an Izuna Drop and “Ninja” style shenanigans so I took to her in the beta pretty quickly.

Can’t decide amongst Juri, Chun, or Cammy as a secondary main. Always messed with them as side characters in other games. The only caveat to Chun is she still has charge moves and I play charge characters much better on stick, and I don’t want to buy a new one just for one character.
Honestly Chun is easy enough to learn on pad. Hell, a Chun player beat Tokido, one of SF gods (known for playing Akuma), on a pad.

Rat Rage

Gold Member

This is why SV6 sucks, and this is why basically any heavy combo-focused fighting game sucks as well. It's always: make mistake > receive or deal a huge combo. Problem: you always have to wait a fairily long time until it's your turn again. The best fighting games are like table tennis: a quick back and forth between players. That's why SF2 Super Turbo is still the best and most exciting fighting game both to spectate and to play.

Honestly Chun is easy enough to learn on pad. Hell, a Chun player beat Tokido, one of SF gods (known for playing Akuma), on a pad.
Yeah I watched that tourney. Tokido made a lot of weird mistakes, which was odd, but digressing I see a lot of people playing pad in tourneys so far. I’m generally fine using the Series X pad for fighters and I really like the Dpad. I just like dedicated fight pads for SF because of the 6 button layout.

If they don’t bring back Vega or Ibuki, I hope they at least bring back Laura (the only character from 5 I liked when I played it briefly near launch) or Sean (and make him good again, maybe give him a mechanic that expands his basketball mix ups).

I think El Fuerte would work well in 6 too, being a hyperactive hybrid grappler. There’s really so many characters that would be sick in this game I’m looking forward to see who makes the cut DLC wise. Though I may wait for a “Super” edition since my free time is pretty limited nowadays.

Last edited:
Yeah I watched that tourney. Tokido made a lot of weird mistakes, which was odd, but digressing I see a lot of people playing pad in tourneys so far. I’m generally fine using the Series X pad for fighters and I really like the Dpad. I just like dedicated fight pads for SF because of the 6 button layout.

If they don’t bring back Vega or Ibuki, I hope they at least bring back Laura (the only character from 5 I liked when I played it briefly near launch) or Sean (and make him good again, maybe give him a mechanic that expands his basketball mix ups).

I think El Fuerte would work well in 6 too, being a hyperactive hybrid grappler. There’s really so many characters that would be sick in this game I’m looking forward to see who makes the cut DLC wise. Though I may wait for a “Super” edition since my free time is pretty limited nowadays.
I'd love to see Fuerte, Viper, Hakan, Dudley, or really any more of the SF4 newbies who got snubbed in 5 return.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Says SF3 is simple.
in comparison it is. The only real 'special' gimmick SF3 adds is the parry, and super arts. otherwise its pretty much just street fighter.

Drive rush is very hard to execute though, that i agree with. You should be able to just press parry and a direction in order to execute DR, it shouldn't require two taps. Makes combos kind of hard for me imo.

Top Bottom