• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI |OT| VI is for VICTORY

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
in comparison it is. The only real 'special' gimmick SF3 adds is the parry, and super arts. otherwise its pretty much just street fighter.

Drive rush is very hard to execute though, that i agree with. You should be able to just press parry and a direction in order to execute DR, it shouldn't require two taps. Makes combos kind of hard for me imo.
SFIII is only just Street Fighter if you play on a basic level with friends. At it's highest level, it's near unapproachable. Try to go online on Fightcade and win a match lol.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
At it's highest level, it's near unapproachable. Try to go online on Fightcade and win a match lol.
havent touched fightcade or SF3 in a hot minute, but that's what i recall. I don't think it was that complicated at high level play
besides, with how much easier the execution in SF6 is it's hard to go back to the older games like SF3....

Last edited:

Riptastic

Hi guys pls help!

I am a fightpad player (idgaf) and I am trying to set up the controls on PC/steam as how I had them when I played my last sf game (sf4) on the ps3 with the madcatz fightpad.

Here is the mapping I am trying to get:

Un0vfHk.jpg

I am not to clued up with steam input and when i try to make a change i seem to fk it up.

Can any kind soul create this mapping in steam input and I can just DL it? Failing that, how tf do I get this set up to play like this?

Thanks guys!

Seriously, what’s the secret behind DI? It seems like it’s able to be cancelled or something during attacks. I see an opponent trying to apply pressure on me and I see an opening then I hit DI to hit them and while they’re attacking me with pokes, they suddenly do a DI out of nowhere while I’m doing mine on them and I always lose the exchange. I can’t seem to cancel out of my attacks when I try a DI though. The reason I ask this because there seems to be ALOT of DI spamming online without much penalty and I don’t think I fully understand the mechanics on it.

Last edited:
Seriously, what’s the secret behind DI? It seems like it’s able to be cancelled or something during attacks. I see an opponent trying to apply pressure on me and I see an opening then I hit DI to hit them and while they’re attacking me with pokes, they suddenly do a DI out of nowhere while I’m doing mine on them and I always lose the exchange. I can’t seem to cancel out of my attacks when I try a DI though. The reason I ask this because there seems to be ALOT of DI spamming online without much penalty and I don’t think I fully understand the mechanics on it.
Has to be a special cancellable normal and it has to be during the cancel window.

BossLackey

Gold Member
That's because there are only specific attacks that are canceable into DI. If you throw out something unsafe and uncancelable, a DI will get you 100% of the time.

That's why so many people are just jabbing the night away. They can either break through the armor and then jab them out of it or the jabs slow them down enough during DI for you to react easily.

Moral of the story, bait with low risk moves for a DI for you to counter DI.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's because there are only specific attacks that are canceable into DI. If you throw out something unsafe and uncancelable, a DI will get you 100% of the time.

That's why so many people are just jabbing the night away. They can either break through the armor and then jab them out of it or the jabs slow them down enough during DI for you to react easily.

Moral of the story, bait with low risk moves for a DI for you to counter DI.
dragon punches are pretty useful against DI, if you react in time. If someone throws it out, and you hit them with a dragon punch, you can damage them while also not getting caught in the hit, since you'll be midair. great for punishing them afterwards.

I've only tested this with Cammy's cannon spike, and it's a tight window to make it happen, though. Unless you're in burnout it's probably better to just respond with a DI of your own

[Sigma]

I knew the numbers had to be really high since the Evo record was 5000k but damn it set it by a lot. I don't see that being beaten for a long time outside of Project L possibly taking it down. Imagine having to seed this.

Last edited:
Mena RD got everyone's panties in a bunch by saying SF6 is the scrubbiest Street Fighter ever. I think it is as well at the moment, even though I'm enjoying it a lot. He followed up by saying he hopes it improves year after year like SFV did(which it will), but I don't think anyone cared at that point.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I knew the numbers had to be really high since the Evo record was 5000k but damn it set it by a lot. I don't see that being beaten for a long time outside of Project L possibly taking it down. Imagine having to seed this.

It's like everyone playing online on Steam has joined the tournament.

[Sigma]

Me seeing Lily causing chaos this weekend in tourney results🌪️. Going to re-watch and study tomorrow.

EDIT: And the same thing that has happened in every Street Fighter game is starting to look like is going to happen in SF6.

Last edited:

mxbison

I assume with "scrubbiest" he is referring to like the top 1% level and I could see that being the case.

Drive Rush is just such an absurdly good (and cheap) way of getting in on your opponent it makes other things feel meaningless. Also throw loops are incredibly strong at every level.

Nothing some balancing tweaks shouldn't be able to fix though.

Last edited:
Alright, after a loooooong detour with Diablo 4 and Final Fantasy XVI I've finally returned to the glorious world of SF6. I said it before and I'll say it again, this game is an absolute GOTY contender and in the conversation for best SF ever, it's just that good.

First I'd like to talk a bit more about World Tour. I clocked close to 40 hours in this mode, finished it with only a couple of sidequests left, unlocked about half of the rosters alt outfits. This might be my favourite single player mode in any fighting game ever, it's undoubtedly up there with Edge Master Mode in Soul Edge, Challenge Tower in MK9, Kumite mode in VF4, Alpha 3's own World Tour and any other exceptional sp content that has appeared in fighters over the years.

I loved the silliness of World Tour, the over-the-top goofiness of many of it's characters. Traversing it's 2 big maps was a ton of fun, building a custom character and combining moves from a bunch of the "world warriors" is a novelty I won't soon forget (and I'll absolutely be checking out avatar battles for the crazy shenanigans). Lots of artwork to unlock, lots of background info to flesh out SF's roster, lots of references to characters that appeared in various SF games throughout the years, it really is good stuff. There is a tournament towards the end of the story with a cutscene of all these weird fighters walking in that immediately brought to mind the movie 'Bloodsport' from back in the day, loved that flick as a kid, wore out the VHS lol.

I have no doubt that for many casual players World Tour will be the main reason they buy SF6 and they won't touch anything else the game offers. Honestly, if this game only had WT, VS, Arcade, Combo Trials and training (so no online, no fighters hub, no classic arcade games, no extreme battle etc) it would still be worth the price of admission. Of course, the *real* meat and potatoes are those intense Ranked online battles, I finally took my Blanka into the belly of the beast last night, played for 3 hours straight and have a blister forming on my thumb to prove it! SF6 online fights are *fucking awesome*.

I'll preface this by saying I'm playing on Japanese servers, PS5, pad, cross-play off, 95% of my opponents were Japanese (had 1 Italian, 1 Dutch, 1 Chinese). The last SF I spent any significant amount of time with was SF4 where Blanka was also my main. I did about half the combo trials but honestly I'm getting too old to memorize all these different combo strings and in the heat of battle instinct trumps all, nothing goes as "planned". While things have changed over the years SF was never about big combo strings for me, it was always about the psychological mind games, footsies, zoning, whiff punishes, wake-up game, capitalizing on an opponents mistake to hit them with a super. Well, this is how 90% of my matches played out last night.

Starting at base level iron I brought myself up to 4 star Bronze in 2.5 hours, winning 75% of my matches, Classic control scheme of course. Some observations:

- Ken is the most popular character
- Manon is cheap lol
- Marisa hits like a ton of bricks
- Throw loops should be patched
- about 65% were using Modern controls
- chain parrying is so damn satisfying

Not sure how I feel about Modern controls in Ranked. Sure I beat most of them but just on principal I think if you want to play competitively you should learn how to play the game "properly", Casual/Avatar matches sure, do whatever you want. Only met 1 other Blanka (smoked him), 1 Sim (smoked him) 1 Gief (smoked him), 3 Juri (challenging for Blanka) 2 Ryu (easier then Ken), 3 Manons (her command throw that keeps it's charge across rounds is ultra cheap/OP), bunch of Marisas (why does she do so much dmg? Fits the character I guess lol), 4 Cammy (mostly easy to deal with) 3 DeeJays (smoked them all), 1 Guile (smoked him), 4 Luke's (relatively easy to deal with), 1 Jamie (he smoked me), 1 Honda (won 1, he won rematch, I won rematch), bunch of Ken's (probably 60/40 win ration for me) didn't see any other characters.

The last 30 minutes my thumb was starting to blister and muscle between thumb and forefinger was in real pain lol. Should have called it quits but I didn't want to stop, lost a bunch falling to Bronze 2 star, won last couple to bring me back up to 3 star, it is what it is. Everything I said about the depth of the Drive system still applies, it's brilliant with a lot of depth/utility. Will be interesting to see how the game evolves over time, it really is something special. I don't know how much time I'll actually invest simply because I play *a lot* of games but no matter what I already got my money's worth, look forward to playing more over the summer.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Just started playing with Dhalsim yesterday and I'm loving him. I swear like 90% of the ranked matches I play with people quit after the first fight and don't rematch, lol, so much fucking fun!

Neff

This game is like a mini-revival that started with SFIV.

This is the game SFIV should have been imo. I can't think of a single thing IV or V did better at launch aside from 'Indestructible' maybe.

Not sure how I feel about Modern controls in Ranked.

To me it feels like a fairly well-balanced training wheels-like ism or groove. Shit's simplified but you lose out on a lot, with some characters falling way short of their full effectiveness. While I'm sure there will be some who decide to stick with modern and become very proficient with it, I can see the majority of modern players at some point realising they can take their character to the next level and benefit from the added tools, combo versatility and boosted damage.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Hit my longest win streak yet yesterday. Was actually a bit of a problem because I was on lunch and kept winning. This was my last match before I lost. 28 win streak's not bad! :messenger_grinning:

Fun fact: While there is a title for 20-win streak - "Win Streak Grandmaster" - there is not one for 25 (I wonder if there's one for 30).

Not sure how I feel about Modern controls in Ranked. Sure I beat most of them but just on principal I think if you want to play competitively you should learn how to play the game "properly", Casual/Avatar matches sure, do whatever you want. Only met 1 other Blanka (smoked him), 1 Sim (smoked him) 1 Gief (smoked him), 3 Juri (challenging for Blanka) 2 Ryu (easier then Ken), 3 Manons (her command throw that keeps it's charge across rounds is ultra cheap/OP), bunch of Marisas (why does she do so much dmg? Fits the character I guess lol), 4 Cammy (mostly easy to deal with) 3 DeeJays (smoked them all), 1 Guile (smoked him), 4 Luke's (relatively easy to deal with), 1 Jamie (he smoked me), 1 Honda (won 1, he won rematch, I won rematch), bunch of Ken's (probably 60/40 win ration for me) didn't see any other characters.

I've found I've had an easy time with modern players once I gauge them a little, playing footsies to take advantage of my superior buttons, and scoring knockdowns for oki. I'll see if they actually use their better specials (AAs, command grabs) and formulate my plan from there.

are tournments on?

No. Still waiting. I have every other achievement in the game now and I'd like to finish them up at this point.

Just started playing with Dhalsim yesterday and I'm loving him. I swear like 90% of the ranked matches I play with people quit after the first fight and don't rematch, lol, so much fucking fun!

Can be understandably frustrating. As a Ryu, I generally like fighting Dhalsims (I like zoning games). The matchup feels more even than SF4's which was... frustrating but still fun. If you haven't learned already, be careful with ground teleports. Good players will jab on reaction and they'll get oki as you flip out. It's one of the parts of Dhalsim matches I relish the most, as Sims who TP low to the ground often struggle with handling the pressure. If you must TP, try doing it higher (although maybe I just suck and can't AA Sims that are that high).

Well, got my Blanka up to silver last night, only played about an hour, think I only lost twice. Finally started seeing different fighters including a couple of JP's, Kim and Chun. This Chun got me in an endless combo loop that I managed to break out of, parried her Hundred Lightning Kicks like a boss, came back and wrecked her, looked and felt great!

Got to say, few players know how to deal with the erratic movements of my Blanka lol. I miss my Ex roll not being able to pass through projectiles as it did in SF4 but I'll survive. Amazon River Run is my ultimate tool by far and has won me more matches than any other single move in my arsenal. Punishes projectiles, closes distance, great for catching jumping players on landing if I was ill prepared to prime a roll etc. Ex command throw is dope too, great damage and turtle punisher from range, I'll sometimes open a fight with it for shits and giggles 😂

By the way, did anyone know that the fabled Shen Long is in World Tour mode? I haven't found him myself but I was saw an article about it a couple of days ago. I used to read EGM magazine religiously back in the day and had the issue where Sushi-X started this rumor that would have players desperately trying to fulfill the requirements to fight the mythical warrior, the most famous hoax in fighting game history, old-school motherfuckers know what I'm talking about 😆

By the way, did anyone know that the fabled Shen Long is in World Tour mode? I haven't found him myself but I was saw an article about it a couple of days ago. I used to read EGM magazine religiously back in the day and had the issue where Sushi-X started this rumor that would have players desperately trying to fulfill the requirements to fight the mythical warrior, the most famous hoax in fighting game history, old-school motherfuckers know what I'm talking about 😆
Don't even get me started on the sacrifices I made in my young life trying to do this 😅

Rashid overview

Looks like he'll instantly be a top tier. Basically every tool you could ask for.

I actually love the timing of releasing him like 2 weeks before Evo. I want to see what pros have the balls to take him up against the field that's been practicing the other characters for 2+ months.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
How do I change the skin tones of the characters? I fought a Manon that was like tanned and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

EDIT: oops nevermind I found it, it's just in the regular color option, duh.

Last edited:

yurinka

By the way, did anyone know that the fabled Shen Long is in World Tour mode?
Yes, I kicked his ass so I stand a chance. He's on top of the high end tech company offices building.

Leave him for the end game of the world tour, equip good items that give you some good stats and save some health recovery consumables for the fight because he's level 90.

Last edited:
You can still use the old method of drive rushing by double tapping forward after a combo.
Yep. I've gotten used to it by now. It's not hard, but the new method seems pretty useful for cancelling from crouching normals. It's only one less input, but it makes a pretty sizable difference in a game where a dropped input can regularly mean you lose.

Reactions: RNG

nikos

He's playable right now 🙂
His flying kick takes off almost a whole stick of drive meter on block like Blanka. Good luck everyone.

It's -36 on block and punishable with a dash. Wind buffed version is -15 on block for medium/heavy versions and he bounces further back. That may be punishable with DR, not sure.

Fought 6 Rashids in Ranked, smoked them all with Blanka, one of them took a single round but that's about it. Everyone using Modern controls and memorizing a single combo string they are hoping to work in at some point in the fight, that seems to be the strategy lol.

Also have some important news to report GAF. Fought someone who was part of a club called "ResetEra", they were using Marisa, "modern" controls, how rich and oh so predictable lol. Anyway, I won the first game, they won the rematch, I won the third game. Disappointed I let them get the best of me once but hey, I took 2 out of 3, I did it for you GAF 😂

Brought my Blanka up to 4 star Silver, haven't played in a week, I just jump on whenever the mood hits me then I sit in for a good 3 hour session non-stop, the journey continues.

Make that 10 Rashids smoked lol

Brought myself to Gold 2 star, good times. Cammy seems to be the most popular now though I still see a lot of Ken, Juri too.

Last edited:
I've been mixed on what I think of the characters so far regarding their look, toolset, etc, but I like everything they did with Rashid over his SFV variant. He feels like an upgrade in every way, and that's saying a lot considering he was already a great character.

Just_one

just cant get into single player unfortunally

any tips? jusy got to italy and i hate the way my character plays(chun li now)

chriskun

Man, maybe its because Im playing Lily but I fucking hate this game. Between drive rush, drive impact, and fuckin jab mashing its just too much. Playing against Ken, Cammy, Deejay, Juri, JP and now fucking Deejay is just such an uphill battle and is not fun. I feel like its never my turn ever against those characters. I honestly feel like SFV was a better designed game at this point. Sadly Im thinking about uninstalling this game, Guilty Gear is more manageable and fair than this fucking game.

Top Bottom