• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle will never get a sequel.

Silky

Banned
Let's look and see the multiple attempts at Streets of Rage 4 possibly probably being a thing, and SEGA saying 'no' in regards to it.

1996-1997 - - Core Design (Tomb Raider) pitched a 32bit direct sequel to Streets of Rage 4. Seen Here. It was originally meant to be for the Saturn. Ultimately the project was cannedd in the middle of development during differences between Core and SEGA. The game then released as Fighting Force.

1999 - - SEGA makes multiple concepts of SOR4 alongside Ancient Corp. seen here. But, SEGA of America shot down the idea at the response on how the beat-em-up genre died around that time period. It was to the point where the team at Ancient already had Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage composer) and Ayano Koshiro (Ancient Corp. artist) preparing music and art design.

2001 - - Around the launch of Shinobi for PS2, Overworks (formely AM7--Streets of Rage's original devs.) expressed interest in returning to the SoR series. Nothing surfaced, sadly.

2008 - - SEGA and BottleRocket actually begin development on Streets of Rage Online for PS3/360! But it got canceled. Concept art:

3E9RJDV.jpg

kOn3kzU.jpg

LZpEBOT.jpg
2012 - - GRIN (Bionic Commando Reboot and Bionic Commando Rearmed) attempts making a Streets of Rage. Cancelled.

Ruffian Games (Crackdown 2) attempts as well, but I guess the project never went into fruition. But hey, here's some footage of that!

2013 - - Backbone (They did the SoR ports that aren't by M2) pitches their own vision of SoR4. Cancelled

Not to mention the multiple pitches and projects of other SEGA titles being canceled -- SEGA Aus's Golden Axe reboot, the Jet Set Radio Wii project, etc. Streets of Rage for now seems like to be the only IP at SEGA that's been given the shaft so many times.

Then SoR Remake comes out, and get's C&D'd by SEGA...maybe the IP's cursed. :/

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's fine. At least 2 and the Japanese version of 3 were phenomenal games. And there was that pseudo fan-remake a while back. Sega can't put that genie back in the bottle.

I'm willing to let it go.

2013 - - Backbone (They did the awesome SoR trilogy re-release on 360) pitches their own vision of SoR4. Cancelled
Pretty sure it was M2, not Backbone who did the XBLA and PSN SoR emulated trilogy.

SoRR is the best thing until someone gets it done. Honestly, I'm not all that broken up about it and only want a great beat 'em up with a great soundtrack. That doesn't mean it has to be a classic BEU IP that would likely never be lived up to, anyway.

Z3M0G

Streets of Rage may be my favorite game of all time. But I don't think I'd actually want a sequal... when I go back and try to play the original games, the first one is the only one I enjoy anymore.

bigkrev

It sounds like they have tried a bunch of times, but nothing was good enough early to continue working on it. Probably for the best.

Damaniel

Banned
I'd rather have the awesome memories of the originals than a modern, half-baked (and likely DLC/micro transaction laden) sequel or reboot. Brawlers were much better in their 16-bit incarnations, anyway. The format lends itself to 2D much better than it does 3D.

All of the remake/pitched sequels shown in the OP have gutter-trash art. Shits all over the beautiful legacy of the first three games.

there are probably hundreds of 2D games out there where you can mindlessly mash X to beat up bad guys

A great beat 'em up doesn't really feel mindless. Bad enough we don't get them often, but there aren't any that can claim to be as good as the old 16-bit games.

Phediuk

We got the phenomenal fan remake, though, which is almost certainly better than any revival would have been.

Silky

Banned
A great beat 'em up doesn't really feel mindless. Bad enough we don't get them often, but there aren't any that can claim to be as good as the old 16-bit games.

Out of all of the beat-em-ups released this year, I can only think of five that are as good as the stuff put out in the 16-bit era.

jordisok

Streets of Rage may be my favorite game of all time. But I don't think I'd actually want a sequal... when I go back and try to play the original games, the first one is the only one I enjoy anymore.

This is almost exactly how I feel, the 1st will always be my favourite.

That's fine. At least 2 and the Japanese version of 3 were phenomenal games. And there was that pseudo fan-remake a while back. Sega can't put that genie back in the bottle.

I'm willing to let it go.

Pretty much this.

I really, really don't want to see what could go horribly wrong with a reboot or new entry in the current market. This is one of my favorite old franchises I'd rather they just left alone.

FourMyle

I'd rather have the awesome memories of the originals than a modern, half-baked (and likely DLC/micro transaction laden) sequel or reboot. Brawlers were much better in their 16-bit incarnations, anyway. The format lends itself to 2D much better than it does 3D.

Urban Reign and Def Jam FFNY were better than any 2D brawler (sans nostalgia) I can think of

i don't think so. they all had universally shitty AI and used extremely cheap ways to toughen the game up to get you to put more quarters into the cabinet. even my personal favorites like AvP were pretty mindless

I'm almost glad they can't go and make a new one, so they don't screw up the virtual perfection of the first 3.

You think you're going to get that pixel-perfect engine for combat with a ton of different moves/grabs/holds/combos? With a bunch of destructible stuff and different weapons/parts of the environment you could use to fight with? With well-balanced characters, and that MUSIC from prime Koshiro? Without nickel-and-dime DLC for incomplete missions/game difficulties/move sets/secret characters/endings?

Never happening.

This series was an ace from a bygone time when you could simply scroll and beat people up for $50, and that was more than good enough. That time is gone, guys and dolls. :(

andymcc

Banned
there are probably hundreds of 2D games out there where you can mindlessly mash X to beat up bad guys

for a guy that says they think SFIV was the best game of last gen, it's weird that you'd be that oddly dismissive of beat em ups.

Urban Reign and Def Jam FFNY were better than any 2D brawler (sans nostalgia) I can think of

so you're not that familiar with the genre.

ok.

Danneee

SoR2 is the epitome of scrolling brawlers (with the hard mode cheat). Sega obviously know that it will never be surpassed.

The beat'em up genre is hard nut to crack these days being a pure product of arcade design which no longer works for today's audiences after 15 minutes. Someone really needs to mix it up and evolve the genre to make it work again. I feel like a few have like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, and The Warriors (R*), but too many times people just try to remake the old formula. IMO "character action" games (stuff like DMC, God of War, Ninja Gaiden) are the real natural evolution of that genre though.

Timu

Honestly playing Streets of Rage 2 makes it hard to go back to the 1st one.

FourMyle

for a guy that says they think SFIV was the best game of last gen, it's weird that you'd be that oddly dismissive of beat em ups.

so you're not that familiar with the genre.

ok.

well i went back and played/replayed a lot of those type of games last year so nostalgia isn't factoring much into my opinions about them anymore, and i have no idea what my like of sfiv has to do with anything.

Risette

A Good Citizen

i don't think so. they all had universally shitty AI and used extremely cheap ways to toughen the game up to get you to put more quarters into the cabinet. even my personal favorites like AvP were pretty mindless
this is true of licensed Konami beat em ups but saying it about other good games in the genre is pretty silly

and nostalgia has nothing to do with it because I only started playing arcade games in like 2010

andymcc

Banned
well i went back and played/replayed a lot of those type of games last year so nostalgia isn't factoring much into my opinions about them anymore

i play them pretty frequently (the good ones, not the licensed shit made by Konami) and I can't say I agree. my love for many of the titles is definitely not owed to nostalgia.

Errr...have you ever played a fighting game before?

errr... yes? i figured that someone that recognizes the deep mechanics of fighting games would like certain brawlers with those characteristics.

i play them pretty frequently (the good ones, not the licensed shit made by Konami) and I can't say I agree. my love for many of the titles is definitely not owed to nostalgia.

This is how I feel and I play them every so often. I hate when people pull out the fucking nostalgia card.

Tain

I love the trilogy, but I don't need another. They're wonderful games.

FourMyle said:
well i went back and played/replayed a lot of those type of games last year so nostalgia isn't factoring much into my opinions about them anymore

Did you make it a point to not use continues or did you just die all the time?

jmood88

If that's all you did in a Streets of Rage game, you'd die quickly.

Anyway, I'm fine with them never making another one as I would have no idea how they could do it without messing it up. I can still play Streets of Rage 3 like it just came out yesterday.

Fruitster

Probably a good thing. Got great memories of those games (1 and 2 especially) but they belong to another time. No desire to see a modern day sequel personally as I can't imagine it would be in the spirit and style of the old classic SoR series.

Teeth

errr... yes? i figured that someone that recognizes the deep mechanics of fighting games would like certain brawlers with those characteristics.

Maybe I'm not versed enough in the genre, can you please tell me the name of some brawlers with deep mechanics?

Finalizer

Like others have said, given the existence of Streets of Rage Remake, it's hard to be too fussed over the lack of new entries into the series when it provides basically everything I want out of a modern entry, and entirely free to boot. Would be cool to see an attempt at a good 3D SoR though, but there's just so much potential for a new entry to wind up being a total disappointment that simply shits all over the legacy of the series.

v1perz53

It's ok, I will just listen to this song and cry. But seriously, as much as I would love another Streets of Rage, arcade style beat em ups have long since faded (most beat em ups now have at least some kind of RPG progression system) and I'm not sure I want to see them try to reboot the series into something other than a beat em up.

Zephyrus

Banned
Man, who the fuck cares about Sega anymore?

They have an amazing IP line-up and they ignore it only to release more sonic games.

Where's my Shenmue? My Street of Rage? My Virtua Fighter? My Valkyria Chronicles? My Skies of Arcadia?

Man, fuck Sega.

cacildo

I love those games. I dont want any sequel, reboot, HD remake

The 3d classics version was already good-but-with-one-great-flaw

Top Bottom