• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

thuGG_pl

"I just want a friend, not a gay relationship" is a fair complaint I think. That goes for the female party members you just want to be friends with too. It's legitimately annoying how aggressive most of the non-flippant dialogue options are with all the members of your team, a tightrope walk to avoid either expressing sexual interest or them expressing interest in you. I just want to hear their stories and be a supportive team leader, basically. Talk to any of them though and next thing you know you have a lot of sexual dialogue options or a harsh rejection option. I've stopped interacting with the party members a lot of the time because it gets tiring.

I think it's fine for someone like Astarion to keep making advances and innuendo after you tell him you're not interested, since he's a deviant vampire, part of his character traits, but people like Gale, Wyll, Halsin, etc., it doesn't really make sense there. There are too many ambiguous dialogue options, too. Like you choose "cheers, *raise glass*" and that's supposed to mean "let's bang" apparently, and you have to then de-escalate awkwardly. Would really prefer clearer boundaries.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. Many times I just want to express support and to quicly it turns to gay sex. My only gripe with the game so far.

Shut0wen

Tbf i dont really get the hate towards these devs because lets be honest what there saying is true, everyone acts like witcher 3 is like the goty of all arpgs and yeah its a good game but the rpg elements in the game are incredibly minor because of how dog shit the combat is, bladurgate 3 is a great crpg but it isnt genre defying

Btw im just defending what josh said because what he said is true

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Dev/Animator at Sony Bend Studio also shares his thoughts on the recent IGN video
B2NzSlS.png

I agree with him. Instead of panicking why not learn from Baldur's Gate 3?

SkylineRKR

I agree with him. Instead of panicking why not learn from Baldur's Gate 3?

Perhaps they panick because shareholders and publishers have very tight deadlines and demands. They need to get a game out before X period leaving little room for improvement and experimentation. Many publishers also demand a good metascore, and something as versatile as BG3 might change the opinion of reviewers for their packages. Imagine if FFXVI came out like right now, its a hard sell when directly compared to something like BG3 that offers so many things.

Larian is in a different spot basically. They aren't being kept on a leash by Activision, EA or Square. They could go early access and release when its done. Many absorbed developers don't have this leeway anymore. I wonder if the developers of FFXVI truly wanted their game to be so mind numbing easy and linear or if SE just wanted to publish an accessible game. Everything done in that game ensures you never have to think or guess. I don't like it.

Ubi can set the same demands for their next AC, but it would mean it misses their holiday season and less frequent releases. Development should change accross the board.

Hugare

Larian doesn't have shareholders to answer to and self publishes their games, and that's 90% of the problem for most studios

They can do whatever the fuck they want, basicaly. Their CEO is a huge nerd and even directed the game.

Of course, they are a very talented bunch of people, but they are also lighting in a bottle.

No other studio this big in the world can do the same. Even Rockstar has to respond to T2.

Maybe Valve if they were still interested in making games

Even ND/Santa Monic doesnt have this much freedom

Cyberpunkd

. Maybe the executives in studios and publishers are way too risk averse or out of touch to achieve greatness.
They are not, but they need a pitch - they need the devs to come to them and plead their case using data. That’s it.

No competent executive thinks “man, I am just going to sit on my ass and bankroll the most generic shit possible”. If you are market leader you can do that but then Anthem happens…

So if you are not a market leader and you want to be one (most of the time you are either second or third) you need to play smart - how do I change the paradigm?

Top Bottom