• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

Lambhalf

This game is really fantastic. It gave me the feeling I had when games were exciting and new. I think they could do make games on this level if they had the passion, purpose, outline, and proper procedure to deliver on a great game.

Corporate pressure and shareholders is what is killing games in general. That is exactly why this game is succeeding, the passion and the time it took to finish. To my knowledge, the lunch has been pretty flawless too.
It does throw shade on Triple A developers through and through, this game goes against the norms and reminds people what finished polish products look like.

I do have to wonder how much the license has given them more exposure, if this had been DS3. A lot of nostalgia at work for BG 1 and 2.

Worthy contender for GOTY, would send a great message to the big players.
Then again, if getting upstaged by Nintendo taking their time despite not being so small didn't teach them that lesson, I fear things won't change much.

Portugeezer

This video abit of a misrepresentation of what I seen some devs say, which is essentially that baldur gate 3 level of scope is not going to be possible for most devs to recreate mostly because of the time it takes and the team configuration they have. Honestly, publishers alone makes this impossible, as you damn well know the bear scene would have been 86ed if they had a publisher, and the game would have been fairly generalized by idiots in suits. Only games that are frequently outstanding are ones that do not have publishers, or just let the developers cook.
The publishers need to know what it takes when the bar is raised, developers don't like it because they don't trust the publishers to give them what is necessary.

The silver lining is that publishers still use Metacritic scores as a metric, to an extent, so maybe (just maybe) some of them will allocate more budget/resources to compete in this regard.

Stare-Bear

Banned
up8M0Sd.jpg

I too would be bricking it if my upcoming game looked like this. Made by a much bigger team, with a lot more funding...

damidu

The Avowed team is much smaller than Larian.
Larian has over 400 employees, that's almost double Obsidian and Obsidian is working on multiple projects.

yeah and who told them to work on multiple projects to keep a loss leading sub service alive.
they are owned by a trillion dollar company, what exactly is holding them back from hiring 400 employees.
maybe they should bitch to their employers instead of gamers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don’t think its ridiculous to expect Square Enix to release a RPG on par with Baldur’s Gate 3 in terms of quality and scope

Deanington

What I love about Baldurs Gate being so successful is that I hope it forces studios to make better RPG's. Bring back actual choices and depth please.

Last edited:

Deanington

I was mostly thinking about Bioware

They literally started the golden age of cRPG games on PC in the 90's and oh how they have fallen.
Yeah I agree! I am going to edit my post and take out Beth. It was supposed to be a general statement but Beth just needed to be in there for some reason, lol.

Wildebeest

I was mostly thinking about Bioware

They literally started the golden age of cRPG games on PC in the 90's and oh how they have fallen.
Golden age was Ultima, Wizardry, Gold Box, Bards Tale, and so on. Fallout and Diablo started a Silver Age. Bioware lucked out by hitting a winning Silver Age formula by adding more Final Fantasy type story elements. Bethesda and InExile have more claim to a golden age CRPG legacy than Bioware.

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

I don't have a problem with devs wishing they were in a position to make something so good.

I do have a problem with devs implying its 'unfair' that Larian was, or that their own games should be compared to BG3.

You're charging the same amount for your games, you're probably going to try to nickle and dime me more later on and you probably have big publisher support, so shut the fuck up.

Last edited:

Dane

Corporate pressure and shareholders is what is killing games in general. That is exactly why this game is succeeding, the passion and the time it took to finish. To my knowledge, the lunch has been pretty flawless too.
It does throw shade on Triple A developers through and through, this game goes against the norms and reminds people what finished polish products look like.

I do have to wonder how much the license has given them more exposure, if this had been DS3. A lot of nostalgia at work for BG 1 and 2.

Worthy contender for GOTY, would send a great message to the big players.
This is where the developers concern should have been about, WRPGs are the best way to shorten a studio life expectancy, because either you don't have money, or you have a corporate pressure, or everybody disagrees and starts leaving. You don't see the same issue happening in short term with other types of games.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

When I first heard about this stuff it made me rage. The fact that various AAA devs were dogpiling on Twitter basically saying the game is creating untouchable expectations for other studios, lmao. So, they're upset that a studio like Larian (that has been through quite a bit of shit) worked really hard and pulled off something really special. Something that pushes the envelope in so many ways, especially in innovation and creativity.

These devs making it sound like they don't want to have to work hard, lol.

Puscifer

It seems that studios wanting to make cheap RPGs with 20-30 people every 2-3 years to cash in on Game Pass money are unhappy. Instead of respecting this genre and looking up to those who invest in it, they consider this high-budget work as abnormal. It seems with these narrow-minded individuals, the RPG genre won't be able to reach a new level; we've been waiting in vain for years. Long live Larian Studios! The RPG genre is in safe hands.
Well this is a weird take.

You know at Biowares peak they created Kotor, Jade Empire and Dragon Age 1, which were amazing games that only took about 20-30 hours to complete but gave you many options that had them replayable, right?

It's why I can play KotoR so much, I can finish it in 15 hours and still feel like every playthrough is unique enough to do it again.

Last edited:

twilo99

This game also proves that you don't need "exclusives" in order to have high quality games that sell well..

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Well this is a weird take.

You know at Biowares peak they created Kotor, Jade Empire and Dragon Age 1, which were amazing games that only took about 20-30 hours to complete but gave you many options that had them replayable, right?

It's why I can play KotoR so much, I can finish it in 15 hours and still feel like every playthrough is unique enough to do it again.
According to this website, the development of Dragon Age: Origins took about 6 years, and towards the end, a considerable amount of crunch was required. The games I mentioned were recent RPG titles. According to this website, Pillars of Eternity was developed in close to 3 years and was released in 2015. The game Tyranny, also from the same company, was released in 2016, and Pillars of Eternity 2 was released in 2018. Similar low-budget RPGs had become quite prevalent in recent times - that's what I was referring to, actually. I'm not saying the games were bad, but it was evident that they weren't made to revolutionize the RPG genre.

kuncol02

Banned
I didn't dislike the trailer, but what the fuck were they thinking by releasing this screenshot?
Released by who? It's screen capture of trailer. You don't see abysmal youtube compression in that picture?

That was my question too, when I saw that tweet... what funding?
So they made it for free? You can't hire 400 devs without significant budget. They had $100m from Early Access alone.

anthraticus

Banned
Golden age was Ultima, Wizardry, Gold Box, Bards Tale, and so on. Fallout and Diablo started a Silver Age. Bioware lucked out by hitting a winning Silver Age formula by adding more Final Fantasy type story elements. Bethesda and InExile have more claim to a golden age CRPG legacy than Bioware.
Yea, golden age started in the 80s with those classics for sure.

Lefay and Peterson's Bethesda though.....NOT the Toddler's !!

Reactions: Fuz

Cyberpunkd

So they made it for free? You can't hire 400 devs without significant budget. They had $100m from Early Access alone.
That they wouldn’t have without great word of mouth, which was a result of their stellar track record. Guess what - you make good games, people will trust your next game will be good. Shocking.

Is anything preventing EA going Early Access with ME? Ubisoft with AC? Did I miss anything except hurt pride?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This whole topic, I have to admit, annoys the hell out of me.

Exceptionally good, exceptionally ambitious ANYTHING is always an outlier. Doubly so in the commercial space where "success" can be quantified in many ways other than the creative, because ultimately these products only exist to turn a profit and allow for the creators to continue working.

Can you imagine if the same rationale was applied in a classroom? Just because one kid is a savant, way better than the rest of the students it doesn't follow that everyone else is lazy or backwards! Is it not possible to celebrate excellence without dismissing the efforts of everyone else?

The point that initial tweet was making is that expecting the peak of scope and ambition represented by BG3 to become a new standard is simply unrealistic. The circumstances and conditions of its development are not representative of the entire industry.

Smaller developers simply do not have the time and resources to keep up, corporate devs have the resources but not the freedom due to the demands of business. Not to mention the obvious fact that just because a person works for a AAA dev, it doesn't follow that they have the power to influence the overall direction and economics of the projects they are assigned to.

No creative person wants to spend their days figuring out monetization strategies! Does that sound like the sort of thing people get into game-dev for?
NO. Its an imposition made out of necessity, because if the money doesn't flow, they'll be out of a job.

Sorry to get ranty, but some of the opinion pieces made by Youtubers honestly made me want to reach into the screen and go full-blown Homer Simpson choking Bart on them! Especially when they pull this thing where they feign this understanding that "game dev is hard but..." schtick...

If they actually cared to understand, they wouldn't be using Tweets from random developers as representative of the failings of AAA game-dev. The people who make the decisions that they hate regarding scope and monetization aren't the ones posting!

Everyone is trying the best they can under the circumstances, because truthfully there's no upside to not doing so. Noone wants to spend 5 years on a thing that people don't like or more importantly want to spend their money on. Disappointment, disdain, shortly followed by unemployment is not a career highlight.

I'm not sure what's worse. This, or developers of inferior open world games dumping on Elden Ring last year, because it wasn't spoon-feeding them content. You'd think that games with high player agency and no BS nickel and diming being GotY two years in a row would finally send the right signals, but instead these dorks are coming out the woodwork whining.

Probably the same guys who make it a priority to put culture war shit into their titles above all else. A good chunk of the western developer scene seems to be beyond hope.

Last edited:

damidu

This whole topic, I have to admit, annoys the hell out of me.

Exceptionally good, exceptionally ambitious ANYTHING is always an outlier. Doubly so in the commercial space where "success" can be quantified in many ways other than the creative, because ultimately these products only exist to turn a profit and allow for the creators to continue working.

Can you imagine if the same rationale was applied in a classroom? Just because one kid is a savant, way better than the rest of the students it doesn't follow that everyone else is lazy or backwards! Is it not possible to celebrate excellence without dismissing the efforts of everyone else?

The point that initial tweet was making is that expecting the peak of scope and ambition represented by BG3 to become a new standard is simply unrealistic. The circumstances and conditions of its development are not representative of the entire industry.

Smaller developers simply do not have the time and resources to keep up, corporate devs have the resources but not the freedom due to the demands of business. Not to mention the obvious fact that just because a person works for a AAA dev, it doesn't follow that they have the power to influence the overall direction and economics of the projects they are assigned to.

No creative person wants to spend their days figuring out monetization strategies! Does that sound like the sort of thing people get into game-dev for?
NO. Its an imposition made out of necessity, because if the money doesn't flow, they'll be out of a job.

Sorry to get ranty, but some of the opinion pieces made by Youtubers honestly made me want to reach into the screen and go full-blown Homer Simpson choking Bart on them! Especially when they pull this thing where they feign this understanding that "game dev is hard but..." schtick...

If they actually cared to understand, they wouldn't be using Tweets from random developers as representative of the failings of AAA game-dev. The people who make the decisions that they hate regarding scope and monetization aren't the ones posting!

Everyone is trying the best they can under the circumstances, because truthfully there's no upside to not doing so. Noone wants to spend 5 years on a thing that people don't like or more importantly want to spend their money on. Disappointment, disdain, shortly followed by unemployment is not a career highlight.
i can understand the reasoning for smaller devs, its that obsidian josh butting in reaching for same excuse is what is infuriaiting.
they are owned by a zillion dollar company. there is abolutely no excuse for them or other big boys to not to achieve similar depth and breadth.
if you are hold back by your corporate owners (which btw doesnt seem to mind burning billions at every oppurtunity), shame them publicly, not the players for wanting more.

whole thing became like "quality work shaming", which is extremely annoying and unfair to larian. no wonder they started to push back.

Karak

So far I have only got 12 answers to my emailed questions to other devs. But so far none of them have expressed any worry and 4 have pointed out that amazing genre-raising level games have come out and then other games have that might not be AS good and are still loved. 2 others pointed out that BG3 has done them a service in interest in their own games with one stating they saw more interest in the last 3-4 days after BG than they did the prior 90 days combined

Last edited:

Kappa

Tbh there is a huge lesson to be learned. All devs should be putting their games out on early access as soon as it's playable. The 3 years of $60 early access this got shaped it into a masterpiece. Gamers will provide good feedback and are willing to pay full price for a incomplete game

Top Bottom