• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: Hollywood Diversity and Inclusion See Little Rise in 10 Years

Link.

Despite Hollywood’s rising awareness of diversity issues and the growing movement in support of inclusivity, there has been little year-on-year rise in inclusion in films released in 2016, according to a new study of 900 popular films from 2007 to 2016.

The study, from Dr. Stacy L. Smith and the Media, Diversity, and Social Change Initiative at the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, analyzed nearly 40,000 characters for gender, race, LGBTQ status, and disability in 900 films, including the top 100 movies of 2016. (The report encompassed films released from 2007 to 2016, but excluded movies from the year 2011, which a separate study had covered.) Almost nothing has changed in terms of representation of these groups on screen, according to the study, and behind the scenes, the pool of directors proved even less diverse.

“These are embarrassing findings to a progressive industry that cares deeply about inclusion,” Smith told Variety. “The activism is clearly not reaching studio decision makers.”

The report found that of the films surveyed in 2016, 31.4% of speaking characters were female, unchanged from 2015 and not much higher than the 29.9% logged in 2007. The overall ratio of male to female characters was 2.3 to 1, and 34 films had a female lead or co-lead, compared to 32 in 2015.

Meanwhile, 70.8% of speaking roles in 2016’s top 100 were white, far outweighing the tallies for characters who were black (13.6%), Asian (5.7%), Hispanic (3.1%), or other (7%). The study also calculated “invisibility” numbers that reported, for instance, that 72 of 2016’s top 100 films had no Hispanic or Latina female speaking roles, and 91 had none for LGBTQ females.

Women were underrepresented behind the scenes as well, making up 4.2% of directors, 13.2% of writers, 20.7% of producers, and just 1.7% of composers. There were only 34 unique female directors that released films between 2007 and 2016 (excluding 2011).

Male gay characters were among the few demographics to rise year-on-year, up to 36 speaking roles in 2016 from 19 in 2015. There was also an uptick in underrepresented racial or ethnic groups in animation, but that was attributable to just two films, “Moana” and “Kubo and the Two Strings.”

The 2.7% of characters with disabilities in 2016 films was about on par with the 2.4% reported in 2015.

In addition to data breakdowns across film genres and varying combinations of gender, racial, and ethnic indicators, the study also suggested tactics that would bring its numbers up. Among these were target inclusion goals, as well as equality clauses or inclusion riders stipulated by big-name talent for their contracts.

devilhawk

70.8% of speaking roles in 2016's top 100 were white, far outweighing the tallies for characters who were black (13.6%), Asian (5.7%),

White American 223,553,265 72.4 %
Black American 38,929,319 12.6 %
Asian American 14,674,252 4.8 %

That's almost scary.

I realize the wiki demographics don't parse Hispanics and Whites, but I'm unclear how a third party could for sure determine if a character identifies as White or Non-White Hispanic anyways. And if they can, the Non-white Hispanic percentage is the biggest offender here. Needs to be 5x what it is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile, 70.8% of speaking roles in 2016's top 100 were white, far outweighing the tallies for characters who were black (13.6%), Asian (5.7%), Hispanic (3.1%), or other (7%).

Comparing this to the US Census, that would imply black and Asian speaking roles are actually overrepresented compared to the their proportion of the US population. The big disparity is Hispanics against non-Hispanic whites.

The disparity for women actors is really depressing, though. The MCU isn't really my cup of tea, but I hope Wonder Woman's performance changes the perception in the commissioning room.

Addi

Comparing this to the US Census, that would imply black and Asian speaking roles are actually overrepresented compared to the their proportion of the US population. The big disparity is Hispanics against non-Hispanic whites.

The disparity for women actors is really depressing, though. The MCU isn't really my cup of tea, but I hope Wonder Woman's performance changes the perception in the commissioning room.

The term speaking role doesn't say how they are represented though, if the minorities always are sidekicks, die first or whatever. Minorities being shown on screen doens't necessarily mean their stories are being told.

“These are embarrassing findings to a progressive industry that cares deeply about inclusion,” Smith told Variety. “The activism is clearly not reaching studio decision makers.”

Well yeah, Hollywood is full of shit

Motion pictures are so powerful to communicate ideas.

When you see a film with an all white cast, that's on purpose. They want to communicate all the things that white people can be, but with other groups, our roles are limited; again, by design

It's why I don't watch shit like game of thrones, it's a fantasy where part of that fantasy is less people of color. Since less people of color isn't my fantasy, I don't want shit like that

Glass Rebel

I'd like to see more detailed numbers for those "speaking roles". It's sometimes hard to draw lines but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers for minorities were particularly skewed towards supporting characters.

I don't know why people are surprised it's still the same, and it'll continue that way because It's all systemic.

If you as a content creator are not socially aware or conscious and actively fighting against it and challenging the status quo by your casting then you're merely a cog in this system that will keep churning out White leads, characters and stories.

Which is why it boggles my mind why people of color communities don't call out specific people of color who are in positions of power to make change but continue to maintain the status quo.

It's stayed the same because you're leaving it up to Hollywood which is silly, because it's going to continue to work as it was designed.

Slayven

In the box office thread someone linked to a Hispanic acotor that had like 50 roles, most of them as a gang member named hector

Vibranium

Banned
How many actors with disabilities currently working in Hollywood I wonder? Lots of my friends wish more people in the community would be able to break into movies and tv. My guess is below 0.5% and that's sad.

And yeah, we need more science fiction and action movies with minority leads.

There needs to be more women and minorities in executive positions, which will in turn increase the amount of women behind the camera or writing, which will in turn increase the amount on screen in prominent roles, hopefully.

Tagyhag

Meanwhile, 70.8% of speaking roles in 2016's top 100 were white, far outweighing the tallies for characters who were black (13.6%), Asian (5.7%), Hispanic (3.1%), or other (7%).

This is the weirdest thing for me, 2 years ago Hispanics made up 17.6% of the country, now it's probably 19-20%.

I wonder if it's because there were some studies that Hispanic people didn't care if there was a Hispanic actor/actress IIRC.

There needs to be more women and minorities in executive positions, which will in turn increase the amount of women behind the camera or writing, which will in turn increase the amount on screen in prominent roles, hopefully.

Not necessarily. Perhaps if you have more women and minority screenwriters, directors and producers then you'll probably see more change. However more importantly, you need people invested in seeing whatever type of representation or stories you want to be told for it to really happen.

Raven117

Bwahaha. No shit. So, if activism really isn't changing your own industry...is it really activism, or would you rather just lecture others?

Hypocrites.

The biggest hole is non-White Hispanic, especially since that demographic is growing in terms of movie-watching audiences. (From the MPAA)

WAOXmjm.png

Basically, most minority demos in the US watch more movies than Caucasians, meaning you're actually behind in overall audience representation on every scale.

And people wonder why April Reign, Ava Duvernay and others talk about this so much.

This fight is gonna take a while

But in Ava Duvernay's case it's less talk and actual action from the casting in her films which is ultimately how change happens.

The biggest hole is non-White Hispanic, especially since that demographic is growing in terms of movie-watching audiences. (From the MPAA)

WAOXmjm.png

Basically, most minority demos in the US watch more movies than Caucasians, meaning you're actually behind in overall audience representation on every scale.

Hollywood executive: Which begs the question if they're already watching, why is there a need to cast them?

Slayven

WAOXmjm.png

Damn the dropoff for Hispanics. That is why i say they always leaving money on the table

TDLink

How are they defining "Top 100" of 2016? Top grossing?

In the last 10 years I feel like it's definitely gotten better for Black people, not so much the rest.

Also, this study is only looking at Films. I feel Television has really exploded in the last ten years in terms of diversity.

kunonabi

Well outside of some arbitrary race/gender bending and the occasional tacked on non-hetero romance its not like hollywood has really doing been doing anything to solve the problem. Hopefully efforts like wonder woman, get out, moonlight, hidden figures, black panther, etc can actually create worthwhile change. Its never getting better for asians though.

MKIL65

Damn. So there's really no excuse for this bullshit! Save for the shameless attempt to whitewash everything.

TDLink

Here's the full report. I'm reading it now.

http://annenberg.usc.edu/sites/default/files/Dr_Stacy_L_Smith-Inequality_in_900_Popular_Films.pdf

Why do you think it's gotten better for Black people and not so much the rest?

Creed, Straight Outta Compton, Hidden Figures, Get Out, 12 Years a Slave, Fences, All Eyez on Me, Moonlight are all prominent films featuring majority black casts (including black leads) in the last couple years.

You also have a few major upcoming tent-pole blockbusters with black leads like Black Panther, The Dark Tower, and Pacific Rim Uprising. And even Star Wars had a black leading man.

A lot more can still be done, but all of this is a huge improvement over 10 years ago.

There's also been a big increase on the television side of Hollywood for black actors, including leads.

Creed, Straight Outta Compton, Hidden Figures, Get Out, 12 Years a Slave, Fences, All Eyez on Me, Moonlight are all prominent films featuring majority black casts (including black leads) in the last couple years.

You also have a few major upcoming tent-pole blockbusters with black leads like Black Panther, The Dark Tower, and Pacific Rim Uprising. And even Star Wars had a black leading man.

A lot more can still be done, but all of this is a huge improvement over 10 years ago.

There's also been a big increase on the television side of Hollywood for black actors, including leads.

But why do you think that is?

Shaanyboi

Banned
According to some posters in the Dunkirk thread, the inclusion of PoC shouldn't be deemed important unless it's a documentary as they make things too expensive and too complicated with useless plotlines like a Roland Emmerich movie. They just don't have the time!

So y'know, it's understandable!
/s

TDLink

For Black representation, I think you've seen this shift due to Hollywood looking at films that catered to "the black audience", like what Tyler Perry was doing/does, as well as slightly older but still kind of recent films like Django Unchained. And they were seeing profit there that wasn't being properly tapped. So now there's suddenly a lot more representation in the last couple of years.

Like I said, I feel the TV side has been helpful here too. Shows like The Wire, Orange is the New Black, and Empire have all aided in showing Hollywood there's a real market for this stuff that they were previously ignoring.

As to why the other minorities remain significantly untapped? I really have no idea.

You do have Fast and Furious, a series pretty much Hispanic led, with the majority of the rest of the cast filled out by different minority representation... and that's one of the top grossing franchises now. But outside of that it's still pretty rare to see good representation. I'm not sure why.

Asians definitely have it the worst. At least (and I say this kind of begrudgingly), there will always be those drug cartel focused shows and roles for Hispanic actors. And you have the few who break through into major roles because they're white enough (like Oscar Isaac). But for Asians, there's no equivalent.

The term speaking role doesn't say how they are represented though, if the minorities always are sidekicks, die first or whatever. Minorities being shown on screen doens't necessarily mean their stories are being told.

yeah, the problem for those groups isn't the number of roles, it's the quality of them

Speaking roles might be "overrepresented" for Asians, but what about the quality of those roles? Except for a few shows like Fresh Off the Boat or Master of None, Asians are never actually in starring roles. You mostly have supporting characters who often play gross stereotypes, like Han in Two Broke Girls. I'm still waiting for the first bonafide Asian male sex symbol after Bruce Lee died more than 40 years ago.

smurfx

get some go again
Hollywood executive: Which begs the question if they're already watching, why is there a need to cast them?
pretty much. hispanics aren't going to start getting representation unless they actually do something about it instead of just continuing to buy hollywood's garbage.

Speaking roles might be "overrepresented" for Asians, but what about the quality of those roles? Except for a few shows like Fresh Off the Boat or Master of None, Asians are never actually in starring roles. You mostly have supporting characters who often play gross stereotypes, like Han in Two Broke Girls. I'm still waiting for the first bonafide Asian male sex symbol after Bruce Lee died more than 40 years ago.

Hell, you're talking about TV shows, and the report was about Hollywood Films which is probably worse for quality representation of Asians.

Top Bottom