• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successor to the Switch to be announced later this fiscal year

Jakk

To be honest, I don't care about Nintendo games too much, so I probably won't buy it, but nevertheless I'm curious to see what hardware they come up with.
I will never trust a quick google search ever again.
As far as I know, different companies use different dates for the beginning/end of their fiscal year.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Since they said fiscal year, this could still be announced January-March 2025. Remember the official Nintendo Direct to announce Switch launch lineup and date was January 13, 2017. 3 months before officially launching in March 3 before fiscal year ended.

Edit: Nintendo did this because they didn’t have games ready? Or/both was to squeeze what ever sales they could out of the holidays for Switch launch.

This seems to be same situation!

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Since they said fiscal year, this could still be announced January-March 2025. Remember the official Nintendo Direct to announce Switch launch lineup and date was January 13, 2017. 3 months before officially launching in March 3 before fiscal year ended.

Edit: Nintendo did this because they didn’t have games ready? Or/both was to squeeze what ever sales they could out of the holidays for Switch launch.

This seems to be same situation!
My guess is the games aren't ready and they want to go hard with the Switch 2 launch because of how bad they handled the jump from Wii to Wii U. They basically have said as much in interviews.

BlackTron

Makes sense. Reveal the rest of your 2024 lineup in June, then announce Switch 2 and 2025 games in September.

I don't know. They would probably be reticent to announce Switch 2/games right before Switch 1's last holiday season. "This fiscal year" ends next March so it's possible they will launch the console later and we are only getting the reveal by then.

On the other hand if they don't want to be stuck on the old hardware for too long they might accelerate Switch 1's demise on their own but...I don't know if it seems that necessary to them. They probably feel they can pick and choose to launch on their terms, even if it ends up next fiscal year.

Davevil

OM7.gif
282.gif

gamer82

hopefully it still releases before christmas thats money loss that could go towards more games for the future or whatever others plans they have. if parents end up bying a swtich one this year i doubt they will want to double dip again within a few months

Robb

Gold Member
I mean, I don't think Nintendo cares about this at all considering how much money these games generates. I feel this will start being a problem for them when these games will stop selling so well and looking at Pokemon games popularity, I don't really see this changing anytime soon
Well they did apologize for the issues, so they definitely care. Although as with most companies things have to blow up in their faces before they start to give a crap. Not sure if Game Freak cares as much though.

Dazraell

Well they did apologize for the issues, so they definitely care. Although as with most companies things have to blow up in their faces before they start to give a crap. Not sure if Game Freak cares as much though.
Writing three sentences that sounds like something that came right out of the template after getting called out definitely shows that a company cares about consumer lol

The longer they delay it, the more powerful it will be.

They may be getting key games ready.

They may be looking at timing to compete (or not compete) with competition.

They can squeeze the last bit of juice out of the Switch and bide their time.

If they announce November it'll probably be a March 2025 launch just like the switch.

Robb

Gold Member
Writing three sentences that sounds like something that came right out of the template after getting called out definitely shows that a company cares about consumer lol
I don’t think they care at all about the consumer. I think they care about Game Freak’s work affecting the perception of Nintendo’s own software.

You don’t want people playing the latest Pokemon to think that’s what you can expect from Zelda/Mario/Other Nintendo output.

Hudo

The pokemon games might be able to run at stable framerate and not look like trash LOL
I don't think that new hardware will give them a better technical director. There is clearly something fundamentally wrong with their tech stack. They could go to Monolith Soft or to Nintendo proper and ask them for an engine.

LordCBH

Looking forward to it. Hopefully the joycons have some thiccness to them. The current joycons are awful to hold and play on.

Woopah

Probably announced early 2025 and then a mid or late 2025 launch? Hopefully mid.

I mostly just want to know the specs. Is it a significant upgrade over Switch or is it like WiiU to Switch? Because that was downright pitiful.
There probably won't be the change in form factor that we saw from Wii U to Switch. It will be more like the jump from DS to 3DS.
I don't know. They would probably be reticent to announce Switch 2/games right before Switch 1's last holiday season. "This fiscal year" ends next March so it's possible they will launch the console later and we are only getting the reveal by then.

On the other hand if they don't want to be stuck on the old hardware for too long they might accelerate Switch 1's demise on their own but...I don't know if it seems that necessary to them. They probably feel they can pick and choose to launch on their terms, even if it ends up next fiscal year.
I'm making that prediction assuming Switch 2 is coming March 2025. If it is coming later, then yes they can wait until next year to talk about it.
The thread title is misleading...

It's JAPAN's fiscal year that started April 1st and end March 31, 2025
But that is Nintendo's fiscal year too. What is misleading?
hopefully it still releases before christmas thats money loss that could go towards more games for the future or whatever others plans they have. if parents end up bying a swtich one this year i doubt they will want to double dip again within a few months
For the first few months Switch 2 will be targeting early adopters, rather than people buying a Switch in its 8th year.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Universso Nintendo is the source for some leaked Direct dates:

Source for the translation: https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...s-before-commenting.55/page-2787#post-1085048

• Switch 2 is slated for March 2025 still - nothing has changed since his original report
  • He expect announcement to pan out similar to Switch 1 (Sept-Nov for full reveal etc)
  • third party should be allowed to mention Switch 2 mulitplatform releases from June on even without showing it, since Nintendo is now openly talking about it (e.g. for games announced for 2025 they can confirm "PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch Successor)
  • Direct in June is the last proper Switch 1 Direct but there's rumors about a Partner Direct late rin the year
  • Nintendo will announce more remasters in the Direct, he expect Metroid Prime 4 to be the last big reveal for Switch 1 and released this year but he doesn't know and it's just speculation on his part
  • He expects more leaks to come out now that the successor has been mentioned

He then adds:

You've missed the bit about an Indie World in August and the fact that I'm personally aware of a couple of multiplatform games that'll be announced for Switch 2 early on in the next semester, but that's a great summary!

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Hopefully we see Prime 4 and the Remakes of Oracle Of Ages/Seasons in June. That would be a fine last hurrah. Shadow drop of Prime 2 as well.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

The longer they delay it, the more powerful it will be.

They may be getting key games ready.

They may be looking at timing to compete (or not compete) with competition.

They can squeeze the last bit of juice out of the Switch and bide their time.

If they announce November it'll probably be a March 2025 launch just like the switch.
If it's already in the planning stage, the specs of the machine won't change between now and release, they can't just decide to put a better graphics card in the machine a week before it comes out, specs and internals are planned years in advance

Last edited:
If it's already in the planning stage, the specs of the machine won't change between now and release, they can't just decide to put a better graphics card in the machine a week before it comes out
Depends how long before it comes out. Could be a year, and in that case they can still negotiate for best price effective chips.

DonF

"This Is Furokawa, president of Nintendo, next month we will have a Nintendo direct, no news about the switch successor and no news of silksong, thanks"

Buggy Loop

Nintendo quality games with PS4/Pro power using modern Nvidia feature set?

Don't threaten me with a good time!

Yea

Oh no, Imagine what Nintendo can do with ~4TFlop

Considering this was done on 1.6 TFlop Steam deck with FSR 2 (barf)

Oh no, terrible, terrible. /s

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hopefully we see Prime 4 and the Remakes of Oracle Of Ages/Seasons in June. That would be a fine last hurrah. Shadow drop of Prime 2 as well.

Probably safe to bet that Prime 4 is a launch window title for the next console at this point, given it’s a system seller. We’re unlikely to see it. More likely they have another remake coming.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Nah, it ends April 2025.
yeah its like march of next year for Nintendo's Fiscal Year. So that could mean they can theoretically wait till next year to even announce it. Not that they would, but they could want to hold off for one more Holiday Season of sales.. That would be so Nintendo. Announce it next January for a summer release. UGH

Deerock71

Wow. All these publications are going to be making a prediction of the Switch 2 announcement now that an announcement of the announcement has finally been confirmed.
Awkward Surprise GIF by Tokkingheads

Top Bottom