• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successor to the Switch to be announced later this fiscal year

Gambit2483

Ol2oh2.gif
robert-redford-nodding.gif

McRazzle

It's not something easy to say for many reasons.

1. We don't know any clock speeds and that makes a huge difference. It'll have two main clock speeds, handheld and docked, with handheld obviously being significantly lower for good battery life. To figure out raw stats like TF/s we would need to know what the clock speeds are. The rumor has been 700MHz in handheld, (if we go with the lower CUDA core count would be ~1.7TF/s, less than the PS4 Pro) which is based on an nvidia leak with what was originally going to be the Switch Pro, but recent rumor may suggest otherwise and that it's lower. Though that's based on MLiD saying that the aim in docked mode is 4TF/s which would suggest an insane 1.6GHz when docked, though going from 1.6GHz to 700MHz is a huge 56% drop.

2. We can't fully compare the GCN Polaris GPU in the PS4 Pro to the Ampere GPU in the Switch's successor. Even if in raw power it doesn't stack up, based on architecture, Ampere will be able to do things that Polaris can't, like comparing an RX 480 to an underclocked RTX 3050.

3. We still don't know RAM or CPU though it's not hard to top a Jaguar CPU and LPDDR5 as been shown to be really fast at low power, which is why it's not really talked about.

So in raw power I wouldn't expect PS4 Pro though in capability, it could punch above that weight. If it's true that behind closed doors it was running UE5, that already puts it above what the PS4 Pro could do.
It's definitely not using Orin then.
The 1,024 core Orin uses 25 watts at 918 MHZ, obviously there's some extra AI silicon on there, but if you subtracted that and added the 500+ cores T239 is suppose to have, I think the TDP is likely similar.

source:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/jetson-orin-nx-16-gb.c4086

tkscz

It's definitely not using Orin then.
The 1,024 core Orin uses 25 watts at 918 MHZ, obviously there's some extra AI silicon on there, but if you subtracted that and added the 500+ cores T239 is suppose to have, I think the TDP is likely similar.

source:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/jetson-orin-nx-16-gb.c4086
I don't care to keep bringing up Moore's Law is Dead but he's so far the only one throwing out rumors but he's said before to throw out the idea that it's using Orin and that it's completely custom.

sachos

March 2025 release? 8 Years life span for the OG Switch with a chance to break PS2 record. If the Switch 2 has full BC with the Switch and is able to improve performance of BC games it is an instant success.

Toons

Im wondering what they'll have as launch titles.

No way there's another zelda. Not likely another Mario.... well less likely at least.

Maybe they have another Smash in the tank? Another metroid?

Robb

Gold Member
Not likely another Mario.... well less likely at least
I’d personally say Mario is the most likely. By the time “Switch 2” launches they’ll have had about 8 years to develop a new 3D Mario game since Odyssey back in 2017.

Mario Kart 9 is long overdue as well. It’s been 11 years since we got a new installment.

I doubt we’ll get a new Metroid at launch, if anything we’ll get a cross-gen port of Metroid Prime 4.

I could see some kind of “Complete” edition of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate get released that includes all DLC.

I’d personally love to see some new semi-high budget IP from them again. ARMS was a bit too motion control heavy for my tastes, but still a fun experiment.

Sojiro

Looks like team 2025 were the winners after all, but honestly since we have yet to hear anything about it, Switch 2 launching in fall wasn't going to happen by this point.

I’d personally say Mario is the most likely. By the time “Switch 2” launches they’ll have had about 8 years to develop a new 3D Mario game since Odyssey back in 2017.

Mario Kart 9 is long overdue as well. It’s been 11 years since we got a new installment.

I doubt we’ll get a new Metroid at launch, if anything we’ll get a cross-gen port of Metroid Prime 4.

I could see some kind of “Complete” edition of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate get released that includes all DLC.

I’d personally love to see some new semi-high budget IP from them again. ARMS was a bit too motion control heavy for my tastes, but still a fun experiment.
I agree with a lot of things here, I expect a cross gen Metroid Prime 4 as well, and a new 3D Mario within the first 6 months, maybe not necessarily right at launch. I still think Nintendo should shoot for Mario Kart 9 to be a launch title for the device. The damn game will sell throughout that devices entire life, and that would be a killer system seller right out of the gate.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If I can't get a stand alone console version I hope they add more to the dock this time. Like a m.2 slot. And an updated pro controller with better dpad.

tkscz

T239 has 12 SM.
It has 1536 CUDA, 48 TC, and 12 RT cores.
Thank you, I see so many numbers get tossed around from one rumor to another.

That said, to reach 4TFs would take 1.32GHz in docked mode which sounds more reasonable than 1.6GHz.

If we were to give it the same 56% drop from docked to handheld, it would be about 736MHz in handheld with a TF/s rate of 2.2TF/s, so I'd assume when MLiD said a massive drop it would be bigger than 56%.

If I were to make a more realistic guess it would be a 40% drop to 526MHz for 1.6TF/s in handheld mode.

Last edited:

Toons

This is also an opportunity to revive the star fox brand thats been stagnant for way too long

Kataploom

Gold Member
Enjoy your PS4 quality games in 2026 Nintendo fans
I probably will, with better performance and resolution. I skipped that console and went directly to PC so basically it was last gen by the time I started catching up (around 2020).

It's all about the gameplay experience. BotW didn't look great even back in March 2017 but it was the absolute best game I had played in at least 10 years.

Comparing Switch 2 to what came before it from Nintendo, it will be more than a full generation leap in fidelity. Doesn't really matter what some PS4 games looked like.

It's all about your mindset 🤷‍♂️
It looked great to me, and even today I'm amazed by how well packed it is: Open world, amazing physics, RTGI, PBR, 900p. It was at least way beyond anything on 7th gen.

Yes, Nintendo's FY runs April 1 - end of March, so technically they could announce it on March 29 2025, but we all know it is being shown before the end of the year, and releasing in March, just like Switch 1.

Switch 1 was revealed in October 2016, fully unveiled in January 2017, and released 7 weeks later, not even 2 full months.
Nintendo won't ruin their last Switch holidays sales, so they'll announce it next year, minimum by January, probably releasing right after the FY ends (I don't think they'll give it 6 months knowing Nintendo).

Nintendo won't ruin their last Switch holidays sales, so they'll announce it next year, minimum by January, probably releasing right after the FY ends (I don't think they'll give it 6 months knowing Nintendo).
I could absolutely see them waiting to announce it until January 2025, releasing March or April. It is certainly possible.

From the man himself. You love to see it! :messenger_sunglasses:

Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa reaffirmed that the company will continue to release physical games

Q&A #4
"Yes, digital sales and digital sales ratio increased. Our basic policy is not to simply increase the ratio of digital sales, but to maximize game software sales, including packaged software sales, and this policy will remain unchanged. In doing so, we need to improve convenience for both customers who play packaged software and customers who play downloadable versions, and we would like to continue making improvements and innovations in the future." (this was machine translated)

Top Bottom