• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successor to the Switch to be announced later this fiscal year

Mephisto40

Yea

Oh no, Imagine what Nintendo can do with ~4TFlop

Considering this was done on 1.6 TFlop Steam deck with FSR 2 (barf)

Oh no, terrible, terrible. /s

I see people's judgement on the power of consoles is still being swayed by meaningless 2013 marketing jargon

Buggy Loop

I see people's judgement on the power of consoles is still being swayed by meaningless 2013 marketing jargon

Do you believe Nintendo and Nvidia will make something less powerful than a 2022 Steam Deck running a windows OS and windows API? Even a cheap Qualcomm Snapdragon gen 2 that is mass produced and into mobile devices such as Quest 3 would beat the Steam deck. Ampere architecture and DLSS would already be a major step technology wise compared to what you found in a PS4, even outside of TFlops, no doubt about this. The memory handling of Ampere is a generational leap comparatively.

Is there anything wrong with how The Last of Us part 2 looks on PS4?

Nintendo is entering a power realm that is mostly limited by how much money you want to throw at a project rather than a limitation. Most games even nowadays don't even compete with Sony's efforts on PS4.

Last edited:

tkscz

Not sure if an announcement to make an announcement is news. That could be anytime between now and next January as well

saintjules

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Nintendo is following the same playbook as Switch launch.

Nintendo did a tease for Switch announcing the Nintendo Direct Switch presentation for January 13, 2017 and then date March 3, 2017 Switch launch.

This was to get more revrnue for fiscal year ending March 31, 2017.

Switch 2 launch looks to be eerily similar.

Edit: Oh, what I said is same as OP! 😆

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Do you believe Nintendo and Nvidia will make something less powerful than a 2022 Steam Deck running a windows OS and windows API? Even a cheap Qualcomm Snapdragon gen 2 that is mass produced and into mobile devices such as Quest 3 would beat the Steam deck. Ampere architecture and DLSS would already be a major step technology wise compared to what you found in a PS4, even outside of TFlops, no doubt about this. The memory handling of Ampere is a generational leap comparatively.

Nintendo is entering a power realm that is mostly limited by how much money you want to throw at a project rather than a limitation. Most games even nowadays don't even compete with Sony's efforts on PS4.
I believe that TFlops are completely meaningless in this day in age, and were used by Microsoft and Sony during the PS4 and Xbox one Launch to attempt to get a leg over each other even though the comparison was pretty much completely pointless from a technical standpoint

Buggy Loop

I believe that TFlops are completely meaningless in this day in age, and were used by Microsoft and Sony during the PS4 and Xbox one Launch to attempt to get a leg over each other even though the comparison was pretty much completely pointless from a technical standpoint

Still we know what these mobile chip power envelopes are in TFlops with modern chipsets and see the results as seen from the video I posted. Ampere architecture completely bitchslaps what was found on PS4 even without TFlops discussion. Let's not even go into ARM versus fucking Jaguar CPUs.

There's no problem of power for Nintendo with Switch 2. I doubt they'll pour in the kind of money and have the technology and artists to compete with the likes of Naughty Dog Studio, but the power is there, easily.

Love that they're going to do a big June Direct, like the E3s of yore. I know how hard it is for them to pre-announce a Direct like this so far in advance, because expectations just get completely out of control. But I see why they had to do it in this instance. And I already saw a few popular Youtuber influencers saying "well they didn't say Switch 2 software wouldn't be in it!" and it's like, c'mon. It will be Switch software. Obviously anything ported to Switch 2 at some point in the future isn't impossible, it's just we won't be seeing any software that won't be available on Switch in this Direct.

I know it will be port & remaster-heavy, and I'm good with that. Yoshi Woolly Word, Wind Waker HD, and Xenoblade X are all high on my list to have on Switch. This is very likely to be the last Switch-only Direct, as I doubt we're getting another one in September, if they lineup for second half is light on brand new games.

Yoshi's Crafted was super disappointing to me, and it's a crime that there isn't a great Yoshi game for Switch.

Having said all that, I really hope Metroid Prime 4 comes out this year. They can juice it up for a $70 Switch 2 port in 2025.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn. There goes the dream of a 2024 release.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Did a mod move my reply from the other thread to this one? I didn’t know they could do that. Cool!

Enjoy your PS4 quality games in 2026 Nintendo fans
It's all about the gameplay experience. BotW didn't look great even back in March 2017 but it was the absolute best game I had played in at least 10 years.

Comparing Switch 2 to what came before it from Nintendo, it will be more than a full generation leap in fidelity. Doesn't really matter what some PS4 games looked like.

It's all about your mindset 🤷‍♂️

Since they said fiscal year, this could still be announced January-March 2025. Remember the official Nintendo Direct to announce Switch launch lineup and date was January 13, 2017. 3 months before officially launching in March 3 before fiscal year ended.

Edit: Nintendo did this because they didn’t have games ready? Or/both was to squeeze what ever sales they could out of the holidays for Switch launch.

This seems to be same situation!
Yes, Nintendo's FY runs April 1 - end of March, so technically they could announce it on March 29 2025, but we all know it is being shown before the end of the year, and releasing in March, just like Switch 1.

Switch 1 was revealed in October 2016, fully unveiled in January 2017, and released 7 weeks later, not even 2 full months.

Last edited:

Dacvak

As great as it is to have an official timeline from Nintendo, I’m sad that we won’t get the Switch 2 reveal during E3’nt this year.

Bring It Dancing GIF by Lifetime

Nintendo Switch Attach
So, A) Worst name ever

and B) 100% won't happen

I know it was in a survery, but it wasn't a Nintendo survey, and come on, it's not the name, it wouldn't have leaked this early, because even Nintendo may not have decided on a name yet. Names are one of the last things decided before a hardware launch.

Super Switch, Switch 2 are probably all on the table, but there's a strong chance it doesn't use the name Switch at all. To avoid a Wii U situation.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Yes, Nintendo's FY runs April 1 - end of March, so technically they could announce it on March 29 2025, but we all know it is being shown before the end of the year, and releasing in March, just like Switch 1.

Switch 1 was revealed in October 2016, fully unveiled in January 2017, and released 7 weeks later, not even 2 full months.
Haha! I counted the months. Disregarding the days and February is a short month! 😆

Dacvak

It just would make no sense at all to announce it 9 months before release. It would just limit hardware sales over the holidays.
I know. I’m mad about it lol.

tr1p1ex

Is it a significant upgrade over Switch or is it like WiiU to Switch? Because that was downright pitiful.
It will obviously be a significant upgrade. The Wii U to Switch was moving from a bulky console to a sleek handheld. And was only 4 years later on top of it.

Switch 2 is handheld to handheld move and will be 8+ years after.

Obviously dramatic improvement will be had in the power of the device.

Last edited:

tkscz

Probably announced early 2025 and then a mid or late 2025 launch? Hopefully mid.

I mostly just want to know the specs. Is it a significant upgrade over Switch or is it like WiiU to Switch? Because that was downright pitiful.
The Switch was rushed out because of the WiiU's lack of sales. Hell, it was originally supposed to have 2GBs of RAM but Capcom told Nintendo to make it 4. Basically they went with whatever worked because they didn't have a choice.

Going from 256 16nm Maxwell CUDA cores to (rumored) 1245 (or 1560 both have been circling for a while) 8nm Ampere CUDA cores (and 48 Tensor cores and 20 RT cores) is a much bigger upgrade than Switch to WiiU.

Woopah

Love that they're going to do a big June Direct, like the E3s of yore. I know how hard it is for them to pre-announce a Direct like this so far in advance, because expectations just get completely out of control. But I see why they had to do it in this instance. And I already saw a few popular Youtuber influencers saying "well they didn't say Switch 2 software wouldn't be in it!" and it's like, c'mon. It will be Switch software. Obviously anything ported to Switch 2 at some point in the future isn't impossible, it's just we won't be seeing any software that won't be available on Switch in this Direct.

I know it will be port & remaster-heavy, and I'm good with that. Yoshi Woolly Word, Wind Waker HD, and Xenoblade X are all high on my list to have on Switch. This is very likely to be the last Switch-only Direct, as I doubt we're getting another one in September, if they lineup for second half is light on brand new games.

Yoshi's Crafted was super disappointing to me, and it's a crime that there isn't a great Yoshi game for Switch.

Having said all that, I really hope Metroid Prime 4 comes out this year. They can juice it up for a $70 Switch 2 port in 2025.
Prime 4 would be great, along with an FF4 remake and a 2D Donkey Kong or Zelda.
It just would make no sense at all to announce it 9 months before release. It would just limit hardware sales over the holidays.
I know we are now in different times, but 3DS was fully revealed in June and released 9 months later in Feb/March.

Stafford

The Switch was rushed out because of the WiiU's lack of sales. Hell, it was originally supposed to have 2GBs of RAM but Capcom told Nintendo to make it 4. Basically they went with whatever worked because they didn't have a choice.

Going from 256 16nm Maxwell CUDA cores to (rumored) 1245 (or 1560 both have been circling for a while) 8nm Ampere CUDA cores (and 48 Tensor cores and 20 RT cores) is a much bigger upgrade than Switch to WiiU.

Would that be like a PS4 Pro in terms of how powerful it is, like rumors have said?

Prime 4 would be great, along with an FF4 remake and a 2D Donkey Kong or Zelda.

I know we are now in different times, but 3DS was fully revealed in June and released 9 months later in Feb/March.
But it was replacing DS, which had completely died. And their new home console was still a ways out. So, yes different times. But also back then they needed to announce it early because they had nothing else to talk about.

The Switch wasn’t rushed at all. Quite the opposite, they delayed it out of 2016 just so they had good software to prop up the launch window. Nintendo took their time and carefully thought their plan out and it paid off in spades.

Woopah

But it was replacing DS, which had completely died. And their new home console was still a ways out. So, yes different times. But also back then they needed to announce it early because they had nothing else to talk about.
DS sold 17.52 million between April 2010 and March 2011. I wouldn't call that dead.

Chronos24

Not gonna read through pages of comments here so if it's been said already im sorry. But... to play "tin foil hat" here and most likely turning something from nothing, look at how he worded his message. He said there will be no mention of the Switch successor during THAT presentation. WHICH COULD MEAN!!!!>>>>Maybe there's another special presentation right after or very soon after that will show the successor. Not impossible to have two presentations in the same day or very close to each other. I'm sure I'm most likely wrong here but one can dream.

tkscz

Would that be like a PS4 Pro in terms of how powerful it is, like rumors have said?
It's not something easy to say for many reasons.

1. We don't know any clock speeds and that makes a huge difference. It'll have two main clock speeds, handheld and docked, with handheld obviously being significantly lower for good battery life. To figure out raw stats like TF/s we would need to know what the clock speeds are. The rumor has been 700MHz in handheld, (if we go with the lower CUDA core count would be ~1.7TF/s, less than the PS4 Pro) which is based on an nvidia leak with what was originally going to be the Switch Pro, but recent rumor may suggest otherwise and that it's lower. Though that's based on MLiD saying that the aim in docked mode is 4TF/s which would suggest an insane 1.6GHz when docked, though going from 1.6GHz to 700MHz is a huge 56% drop.

2. We can't fully compare the GCN Polaris GPU in the PS4 Pro to the Ampere GPU in the Switch's successor. Even if in raw power it doesn't stack up, based on architecture, Ampere will be able to do things that Polaris can't, like comparing an RX 480 to an underclocked RTX 3050.

3. We still don't know RAM or CPU though it's not hard to top a Jaguar CPU and LPDDR5 as been shown to be really fast at low power, which is why it's not really talked about.

So in raw power I wouldn't expect PS4 Pro though in capability, it could punch above that weight. If it's true that behind closed doors it was running UE5, that already puts it above what the PS4 Pro could do.

FStubbs

My guess is the TFLOPS will come in a little lower but with features like DLSS it'll be more powerful.

Kind of like how (edit) Series S is more powerful than Xbox One X.

Last edited:

Woopah

Not gonna read through pages of comments here so if it's been said already im sorry. But... to play "tin foil hat" here and most likely turning something from nothing, look at how he worded his message. He said there will be no mention of the Switch successor during THAT presentation. WHICH COULD MEAN!!!!>>>>Maybe there's another special presentation right after or very soon after that will show the successor. Not impossible to have two presentations in the same day or very close to each other. I'm sure I'm most likely wrong here but one can dream.
I think it's unlikely, as then the Switch 2 event would completely overshadow the Direct.

They'll want to give the last Switch Genersl Direct some room to breathe.

AngelMuffin

Odd that he said fiscal year, which ends March 2025. You’d think they would have just said by the end of this year if it was going to be announced in 2024.

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Odd that he said fiscal year, which ends March 2025. You’d think they would have just said by the end of this year if it was going to be announced in 2024.
Not odd if they follow the Switch plan. Switch was tease on October 2016. Switch revealed and software lineup in Switch Presentation January 13, 2017. Switch launch 2 months later March 3, 2017.

Just “Switch” the year to 2024 and 2025. 😂

AngelMuffin

Not odd if they follow the Switch plan. Switch was tease on October 2016. Switch revealed and software lineup in Switch Presentation January 13, 2017. Switch launch 2 months later March 3, 2017.

Just “Switch” the year to 2024 and 2025. 😂
Right, which is why I questioned why they said fiscal year & not calendar year. I don’t think they want to announce anything about the Switch 2 this Fall and take away from the Switch’s last big Holiday sales season. They didn’t have to worry about that with the Swtich & Wii U.

Having said all of that. I would still be surprised if they waited til early next year to announce the Switch 2 but if they did, they wouldn’t have lied.

DS sold 17.52 million between April 2010 and March 2011. I wouldn't call that dead.
The software market for the DS had collapsed by 2010 due to piracy and the casuals falling off of it. Nintendo needed the 3DS. And 17.52 million was barely half of what DS was selling annually two years prior.

Like the Wii, it peaked in ‘07/‘08 and very quickly petered out. Once the casual fascination of Wii Sports and Brain Age had worn off, demand quickly corrected back to “normal”. And iPhone also came out in ‘08. Which didn’t help either, admittedly 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom