• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad fan tries to sue WB for 'false advertising' over lack of Joker scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman94

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/suicide-squad-fan-suing-studio-false-advertising-lack-of-joker-scenes-jared-leto-warner-bros-a7180231.html

This is just...wow:

Jared Leto might have admitted that there are enough deleted Joker scenes to make a full movie but one Suicide Squad moviegoer has gone as far as to try and sue the studio for the disappointing lack of Clown Prince chaos.

Reddit user BlackPanther2016 has threatened to begin legal action against Warner Bros and DC Comics later this week, claiming that teasing Joker scenes in trailers that did not make the final film amounts to “unjust false advertising”.

The disgruntled superhero fan argued in a post on Movies subreddit that he should receive a refund after driving 300 miles to London to watch “specific scenes explicitly advertised in TV ads” only to leave feeling ripped off. He says he will file a lawsuit on 11 August, with his “lawyer” brother leading the case.

The article is very long so I'll just post the first part of what the Reddit user had to say:

“Suicide Squad trailers showcased several specific Joker scenes that I had to pay for the whole movie just so that I can go watch those specific scenes that Warner Bros/DC Comics had advertised in their trailers and TV spots. These scenes are: when Joker banged his head on his car window, when Joker says ‘“Let me show you my toys’, when Joker punches the roof of his car, when Joker drops a bomb with his face all messed up and says, ‘Bye bye!’ None of these scenes were in the movie.

“I drove 300 miles to London to go watch these specific scenes they had explicitly advertised in their TV ads…and they didn't show them to me. Adding to this, they were also two specific Katana scenes they advertised that were also the reason I wanted to go watch the movie. These scenes were: Katana’s eyes going black, and a slow motion shot of her and her sword taking souls in a smoky kind of style. These scenes were advertised several times in the first trailer and many TV ads but they didn’t show it to me in the movie. I wasted a lot of money paying and travelling to go watch this movie because of these specific scenes they had advertised to me and all of us saying, ‘Hey, check out our preview! This will all be in our movie, come watch it on the 5th!’ All lies.

I personally enjoyed the movie, it had its issues of course but I don't find it as bad as reviewers make it seem like. In the Reddit users defense, yeah that's false advertisement, but cut scenes from movies happen all the time even in movie trailers. And in defense of the movie...Suicide Squad has never been about the Joker. Joker wasn't an integral part of the Suicide Squad as much as Harley Quinn was. And given that Jared Leto claims there were enough Joker Scenes to make up a whole movie (which seems like a waste to film that much footage for a movie) it was probably a given that a lot of content was going to be cut, especially when he was never supposed to be the focus.

commedieu

Banned
tumblr_inline_np9gidgdrU1t7gobg_500.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I definitely got the impression the movie was about the joker, and if I had gone to see it, it would have been for the joker.

Finding out that he wasn't actually in it much, and the movie sucked, of course I didn't go.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I like DC Comics too, but let it go, y'all. Lots of movies have done this. Heck, the big dramatic one hit KO punch in the new Bourne movie trailers is different in the final film. Acting foolish isn't going to magically turn this into a good movie.

Haven't they always said Joker was going to be like Hannibal in Silence of the Lambs? Yeah, he featured prominently in the marketing...but so did Hannibal and he was also in that movie for less than 20 minutes. Joker was never going to be the big bad, you could tell it was something mystical from the trailers. They eee fighting dudes that looked like charcoal that broke apart.

Suit is obviously getting thrown out, but I think it's really sleazy of movie studios to cut trailers using mostly footage that got cut from the film. What exactly are you selling to people at that point?

I like DC Comics too, but let it go, y'all. Lots of movies have done this. Heck, the big dramatic one hit KO punch in the new Bourne movie trailers is different in the final film. Acting foolish isn't going to magically turn this into a good movie.

That's the same scene, just at a different angle.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Suit is obviously getting thrown out, but I think it's really sleazy of movie studios to cut trailers using mostly footage that got cut from the film. What exactly are you selling to people at that point?

That's the same scene, just at a different angle.

It's still different than what was presented to sell the movie. It is no less ridiculous than this suit.

If you want studios to make trailers based off the final cut of the movie, there would be trailers they couldn't release until a couple weeks before release. Heck sometimes even the week of release. It's a ridiculous expectation. They didn't say "Hey, this movie has X amount of Joker minutes." They knew what would be a draw for people. And evidently it worked.

Yukinari

Jared Leto getting so into the part to the point of creeping out his co-workers and all the news about the joker being big is upsetting now that we know hes only in the movie for like 10 minutes.

BioFan

I definitely got the impression the movie was about the joker, and if I had gone to see it, it would have been for the joker.

Finding out that he wasn't actually in it much, and the movie sucked, of course I didn't go.
This for me too. I wanted to see more joker after the trailers. Will smith def is not the reason I want to see SS.
Knowing that there are even less Joker in the movie, and the bad reviews, I decided not to go.
I hope this guy succeed then I can wait for SS: the joker cut bluray lol.

woolley

So he hasn't actually tried to sue anyone? They just found a random comment on the internet and decided to write an article about it.

Azerare

The trailers and advertising did make it seem like the joker was going to be more prevalent.
If more joker would have saved the movie... well lol

As silly as this is, it probably shouldn't be legal to advertise scenes in a commercial for your movie, that aren't in the movie.

False advertisement, no?

Jared Leto getting so into the part to the point of creeping out his co-workers and all the news about the joker being big is upsetting now that we know hes only in the movie for like 10 minutes.

10?
Try less than 5, much less.

Batman has maybe 1 minute but it was honestly pretty damn good and didn't require more.

Ecotic

I haven't seen the movie or any of the trailers. So like it's an ensemble cast with ensemble villains or something?

Why are you being a dick, OP? He's been waiting for this moment all his life. Haven't you never loved? Felt passion? He wants what was advertised. Cut it out, ya jerk..

#supportdcfilms

Kibbles

The article says 15min? Dude was in like maybe 8, 10min is the absolute max I would guess.

But I don't see the need for news articles about it until it actually happens, could just be a person trolling on reddit

Walpurgis

Banned
LOL at the guy's name. But if WB really did falsely advertise though, they deserve to be sued. It doesn't matter if movie companies do this all of the time and if people are typically too lazy to sue. If someone is willing to do it in cases like this, they have my support.

As silly as this is, it probably shouldn't be legal to advertise scenes in a commercial for your movie, that aren't in the movie.

False advertisement, no?
This is exactly how i feel and it applies to any movie, not just this one. In this particular case i felt that the advertising was especially misleading in pretty much every way. The trailer is not representative of the film at all.

I do find it odd they are to this day in new TV Spots still using scenes that were cut.

Are you kidding? It's what got us all pumped as hell about the movie. Say what you will, but the advertising was on point with this one. Truth be told, I wanted to watch this more than BvS..pretty sure I'm not alone.

Are you kidding? It's what got us all pumped as hell about the movie. Say what you will, but the advertising was on point with this one. Truth be told, I wanted to watch this more than BvS..pretty sure I'm not alone.
It was advertising a movie that doesn't exist. Tricking people into seeing your bad movie shouldn't be celebrated.

MutFox

Banned
It would be hilarious if this led to future trailers being legally obligated to have a
"May not contain various scenes on final release" sort of fine print.

Flo_Evans

1st off where the hell do you live where the closest theatre is 300 miles away? Sounds more like he wanted to go to London.

2nd I feel the guys pain. When I was a kid I loved Steven seagal movies (I know) I was all hyped for his next big action movie "executive decision" spoiler alert: he dies in the opening scene and Kurt Russell was really the star. In hindsight it was probably a better movie but man I felt ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom