• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kil lThe justice League Previews are coming up

thatJohann

This is gonna BOOOOOOMBBB so hard. It will be this year's Gollum.

Honestly, they should just cancel it.

And the UI is atrocious. Who the hell is working on this game? wtf

isnLeXy.png

Last edited:
So much for “it’s just a niche of Arkham fans that don’t like this” huh? I mean that was always bullshit but now beyond any ambiguity the distain for this game is mainstream

God imagine the morale right now at the office over in the UK. They have to know this is garbage. I genuinely wonder what happens to the studio after this? Back to Batman for a safe profit? Superman to apologize to fans? Shut down?

Ristifer

This will be the game that carries all the frustration of modern game fans and be panned for it disproportionately.

I think (after the last trailer) this will be at least as much fun as GotG.

Sadly journalists can already smell blood in the water and will make this their 'safe bet' to give an edgy 6 to.
Please don't bring up GotG with this game, just because they both star a group of heroes/anti-heroes. The games have totally different philosophies and GotG was all the better for its focus. This game looks like it's all over the place. An identity crisis in the making.

Mossybrew

Man, previews almost always try to put a positive spin on it, but across the board these are very wishy washy, IGN saying they straight up didn't like it? Not a good sign.

FeralEcho

From the IGN preview:
Holy shit....This abomination will get 4's and 5's at best if ign of all sites is this down on it at a sponsored preview event...9 years wasted on this garbage...9 fucking years....This should be illegal to do this to such a great studio.

Hope WB crashes and burns asap.They have no sympathy from me for what they did to Rocksteady,one of my fav developers.... Just replayed Asylum,City and Knight...still some of the greatest games ever made... it's boggling my mind that we went from that to whatever the fuck this abomination is...They could've just made Arkham Beyond and rake in millions but nah....It would've made too much sense and WB ain't about that.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I've been a Superman fan all my life. Trust me, I know when someone is trying to get a rise out of Superman fans.
No, he is right. Superman sucks. They made him all-powerful and readers/ viewers can't relate to him at all. (unlike Peter Parker). The only time he is vulnerable is when stupid kryptonite is around. Seems like Kryptonite is abundant as a lump of coal it seems.

Last edited:

nbkicker

That looks so bad in the previews videos, this is where we gonna see which studios taking a bung when the reviews come out. 9yrs for this game , rip rocksteady

This has to be the saddest fall from grace in all of gaming right? I can't think of anything on this magnitude.

WB Montreal was never as loved as rocksteady, CD projekt red redeemed themselves in the mainstream, BioWare is getting there own redemption arc going back to what the fans love, Naughty Dog has their detractors myself included post TLOU2 but their games are still competent as hell and they steered away from their live service villain arc, I'm really at a lose for another studio blunder this bad. I don't think one exist.

The core combat looks solid, but gawd the UI is so damn cartoony in a bad way. Also what's up with slot machine UI and functionality, like why?

Mr.Phoenix

At this point, the only reason this game is being released is so they can at least make something back.

Better to sell it to 500k people than to cancel it completely.

Holammer

At this point, the only reason this game is being released is so they can at least make something back.

Better to sell it to 500k people than to cancel it completely.
Of course, the game and DLC characters and season/crossover content is already done. Might as well kick it out of the door screaming.
If it's as bad as it looks, I expect new studios with ex-rocksteady devs 2 years from now.

Bartski

Gold Member
Nastiest clusterfuck of a UI I've ever seen in my life, it somehow looks 10 times worse with all the static hud but then there are also damage numbers, indicators, pickups, highlights, prompts...

Last edited:

Nydius

GDbgmdoWMAEiAdI

WTF is this shit ?
It's very rare for a static image to give me a migraine but this accomplished it!
Congrats Rocksteady!

I still think the benchmark for awful UIs is the vanilla World of Warcraft UI -- but at least that one allowed for mods so I could adjust the UI in any way I saw fit. This will probably forever be shit. I doubt many PC modders will spend their time trying to mod this clusterfuck to be less annoying.

Mr.Phoenix

WB ruining devs left and right...

-NRS with MK1
-Rocksteady with this trash
This isnt WB's fault, they are the same publishers behind Hogwarts weren't they?

Devs need to be held accountable for what they do and how they do it. And when in 6 months we hear that WB is shutting down studio or firing workers people start throwing a pity party. If I am a publisher, and I pay devs for 5+ years to make a game for me, and they turn out with a shit product, I am firing everyone in that studio that had anything from a supervisory position and up.

What I don't understand about devs, is when they are making their game, when they play it, can't they tell its bad or not fun?

xrnzaaas

This isnt WB's fault, they are the same publishers behind Hogwarts weren't they?

Devs need to be held accountable for what they do and how they do it. And when in 6 months we hear that WB is shutting down studio or firing workers people start throwing a pity party. If I am a publisher, and I pay devs for 5+ years to make a game for me, and they turn out with a shit product, I am firing everyone in that studio that had anything from a supervisory position and up.

What I don't understand about devs, is when they are making their game, when they play it, can't they tell its bad or not fun?
Or maybe it should've been cancelled years ago? A disaster like this doesn't happen within the last year of production.

Plus we don't know for sure if Rocksteady had any say in picking what they want to do or deciding to abandon the project when it became clear they couldn't deliver.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
“OKAY YOU FOUR” repeat .

Fastest man alive, that can literally just punch them to death
"Okay you four"
Starts spinning like a fucking idiot without doing anything

Are these devs retarded? I am absolutely positively sure that no one who worked on Arkham games worked on this and it pisses me off even more that this will be Kevin Conroys final game...way to stain his reputation. Fuck the people who greenlit this.

MirageMew2

A comic book YouTuber I follow described it as Crackdown x Fortnite which as an Alpha player I can absolutely attest to.

It’s a real unfortunate situation as I genuinely feel the production is there narratively and visually but everything wrapped around it is riddled with MTX garbage. I’ll tell you right now there’ll be the usual cosmetic emotes, skins, even purchaseable winning cutscenes (the most egregious I swear), and “free”/premium battle passes which should be fucking criminal in a $70 game.

That’s just such a far cry from the Arkham series and overall philosophy of everything that came from Rocksteady before, it’s beyond me how they even arrived at the pitch or how they failed to see this as anything but a critical flop.

Fastest man alive, that can literally just punch them to death
"Okay you four"
Starts spinning like a fucking idiot without doing anything

Are these devs retarded? I am absolutely positively sure that no one who worked on Arkham games worked on this and it pisses me off even more that this will be Kevin Conroys final game...way to stain his reputation. Fuck the people who greenlit this.

I’d be surprised if there isn’t a “what went wrong” article a month or so after launch on Bloomberg or somewhere similar.

Something has gone wrong at that studio, either too much publisher interference, drastic dev changes or a mixture of the two.

You don’t go from the Arkham games to this without something drastic taking place. It barely looks better than anything on PS4. It’s like Agents of Mayhem, Crackdown and Borderlands combined to fart this out .

Fake

“OKAY YOU FOUR” repeat .

Watch this video and reading the dev from rocksteady is the most brain move I ever see.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

What if the studio wasn't capable of making this gaas garbage in the first place nor did it want to...because Rocksteady had two pitches before Suicide Squad was flung at them by WB execs.A Superman game and a Batman continuation of the Arkham games that were rejected because "hurr durr there was a new Suicide Squad movie so we have to find a way to capitalise on it and oh hey look at all the moneyz live service games are making hurr durr let's make it gaas cuz why not "

If you're the boss of a company and you put the janitor on handling security, it's not the janitor's fault he can't do his job properly cuz his boss is a retarded moron who chases trends...

This is all on WB,I hope they go under.They are one of the most incompetent publishers in the business.Your Hogwarts example is hilarious as WB has stated even after Hogwarts success that they are betting on gaas projects for the future.Get Ready for Howarts:Kill the Potter franchise gaas bulshit as the next thing.

SJRB

Gold Member
“OKAY YOU FOUR” repeat .

This is why the game and premise are flawed on the most fundamental level.

The notion that these four buffoons, these absolute nobodies would stand any chance for more than 0.4 seconds against someone like Flash is ridiculous. Preposterous. Especially when he is supposed to be "evil". Flash would've turned them to yello before they even knew what hit them. Literally atomized. This was a terrible idea from the absolute get-go.

So to level the playing field you see an absolute S-tier powered character being artificially held back so our heroes stand a chance. Seeing him just standing there like an asshole repeating oneliners and conjuring up tornadoes with the speedforce while the player just jumps from point A to point B and back while dumping magazine after magazine into him is just absolute bottom-of-the-barrel design.

You telling me these fucking idiots have a jetpack or grappling hook and therefor now stand a chance against Flash, Batman and Superman? Evil Batman would fucking body them and break every bone in their bodies.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

What if the studio wasn't capable of making this gaas garbage in the first place nor did it want to...because Rocksteady had two pitches before Suicide Squad was flung at them by WB execs.A Superman game and a Batman continuation of the Arkham games that were rejected because "hurr durr there was a new Suicide Squad movie so we have to find a way to capitalise on it and oh hey look at all the moneyz live service games are making hurr durr let's make it gaas cuz why not "

If you're the boss of a company and you put the janitor on handling security, it's not the janitor's fault he can't do his job properly cuz his boss is a retarded moron who chases trends...

This is all on WB,I hope they go under.They are one of the most incompetent publishers in the business.Your Hogwarts example is hilarious as WB has stated even after Hogwarts success that they are betting on gaas projects for the future.Get Ready for Howarts:Kill the Potter franchise gaas bulshit as the next thing.
After this game crashes and burns, I expect that WB like most other publishers that have tried this shit would have a course correct—especially being that they would have seen just how successful their single-player non-GAAS entry was.

If they instead decide to turn Hogwarts into a GAAS in its next iteration, only then can we legitimately say they are incompetent, honestly can't fault every publisher out there for trying their hands at a GAAS title at least once.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

The original film (and to a lesser extent the second film) is excellent, Man of Steel has some issues but the action scenes slap hard, Superman vs. the Elite is one of, if not the, best of the DC Animated films, the Superman animated series from the 90’s may not be on the level of Batman TAS or even Justice League/JLU but is still great, there’s been a ton of great comics with him particularly All Star Superman, etc.

We’ve been eating good with Batman games for a while. Particularly with Kevin Conroy passing I feel it’s okay to take a break and give another DC hero the solid video game treatment that is long overdue.

It’s time for gamers to believe a man can fly.
I presume the problem with Superman games is that nobody can think of a way to make a fun one.

Top Bottom