• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summon Night 6: Lost Borders Coming to PS4, PS Vita in February 2017

Yeah, I realized after posting, I edited my post. Thanks :)

No chance this hits Xbox One tho?

Absolutely 0 chance, especially since the game has been out in Japan for a while now. It would also be best to not expect any Japanese games other than AAA Square or some of the Experience drpgs on the system. The system is deader than dead in Japan and it's a guaranteed loss for most companies to waste time porting anything to it.

So, Summon Night 5 EU when? Need to get caught up!

Also, this won't only be sold through Gaijin's website will it? (The normal edition I mean). So it'll be up on the import sites (VG+/PA) for me to get a copy to Europe?

Yeah... this is purely speculation on your part. If Europe is so niche friendly, then why is it completely being ignored by the likes of Atlus. Oh, right, probably because you think those companies are stupid.

Atlus? Most definitely since it'e like the only "niche" japanese publisher not involved in Europe. Koei-Tecmo and NISA seems to be doing fine in Europe. And I mean, you just have to look at the PAL charts to see that Japanese games both niche and more mainstream chart higher in Europe than in the US.

I know this. Strangely no one releases any new (as in: not previously published) PSP games anymore in there. I wonder why. Such missed opportunity!

And how is that any different then from the US? Where are those "not previously published PSP games which are getting released there?

I'm just saying: Working Designs was a legendary publisher in the States. Anything its successor publishes will attract more attention in that region (even if it's deeply hidden in the Vita store) just based on that fact alone. In Europe they have to start from scratch. In the States they are almost guaranteed to run a profit, in Europe (after paying a lot more on ratings fees) the risk is a lot higher to not make any money at all.

Doesn't mean that it's not worth it though.

So you want them to lose money and then complain about it? Lol.

Not really, having a business is taking risk to make a profit, that's economy 101, you can't say that releasing games in Europe is not worth it when more or less everyone else who does it are making a profit. When Acttil, XSEED and Aksys can manage to release games in Europe then this legendary publisher which closed down and had to reopen surely can manage to do the same?

Last thing they said about the possibility of the EU release for SN5 was this:

Thanks, happy to see that they're still working on it, the wait is being quite hard for me...

Atlus? Most definitely since it'e like the only "niche" japanese publisher not involved in Europe. Koei-Tecmo and NISA seems to be doing fine in Europe. And I mean, you just have to look at the PAL charts to see that Japanese games both niche and more mainstream chart higher in Europe than in the US.

Charting higher doesn't mean they sell more in absolute numbers.

And you're cherry picking. A good deal of Aksys games never made it across the ocean either.

And how is that any different then from the US? Where are those "not previously published PSP games which are getting released there?

Well, as I said before... Working Designs was a legendary publisher, with to this day a loyal fanbase, who will also buy GaijinWorks' releases. So you already start with a head start of x number of sold copies.

That's a difference, isn't it?

Meanwhile in Europe, you have zero brand recognition, zero visibility in the PlayStation Store, higher operating costs (because more rating systems) and zero market knowledge. How's that for some more differences?

Doesn't mean that it's not worth it though.

But chances of it not being worth it are much higher.

It's safer to just spend your time doing something else in stead, e.g. release another game in North America that you know will do well.

Not really, having a business is taking risk to make a profit, that's economy 101, you can't say that releasing games in Europe is not worth it when more or less everyone else who does it are making a profit. When Acttil, XSEED and Aksys can manage to release games in Europe then this legendary publisher which closed down and had to reopen surely can manage to do the same?

Neither Acttil, XSEED and Aksys are releasing new PSP games in 2016 in Europe. You're being disingenuous, comparing apples with oranges.

Verelios

I love the variant covers I got for Summon Night 5 and am looking forward to these ones, still, no Vita collectors editions really bums me out. I don't particularly like playing RPG'S on my PS4 so I'll probably pick up a regular vita version.

And you're cherry picking. A good deal of Aksys games never made it across the ocean either.

I'm not, most Aksys games are coming to Europe, if one doesn't it's an exception.

Well, as I said before... Working Designs was a legendary publisher, with to this day a loyal fanbase, who will also buy GaijinWorks' releases. So you already start with a head start of x number of sold copies.

That's a difference, isn't it?

Meanwhile in Europe, you have zero brand recognition, zero visibility in the PlayStation Store, higher operating costs (because more rating systems) and zero market knowledge. How's that for some more differences?

I don't understand your point here, no one release PSP games period so Gajinworks' case is an outlier, it's easier to release for them in the US, I agree with that. How does that relates to the fact of not releasing their games in EU? You don't have recognition until you release something somewhere, that's the same for everyone. Doesn't mean that a staggered launch doesn't make any sense.

But chances of it not being worth it are much higher.

It's safer to just spend your time doing something else in stead, e.g. release another game in North America that you know will do well.

Again, I agree with that.

Neither Acttil, XSEED and Aksys are releasing new PSP games in 2016 in Europe. You're being disingenuous, comparing apples with oranges.

Well Trails in the Sky Second Chapter released a month and a half before Summon Night 5 in the US, it took them 2 weeks to release it in EU.

Anyway, that's off topic and I'll stop there.

I'm not, most Aksys games are coming to Europe, if one doesn't it's an exception.

Well, you claimed that Europe was THE market for niche Japanese releases. Then how come some games don't come over, but do get published in the States? Just saying that perhaps you're a bit overly optimistic about what gets localized where. The short stick is usually for Europe.

I don't understand your point here, no one release PSP games period so Gajinworks' case is an outlier, it's easier to release for them in the US, I agree with that. How does that relates to the fact of not releasing their games in EU? You don't have recognition until you release something somewhere, that's the same for everyone. Doesn't mean that a staggered launch doesn't make any sense.

Well, if you had read my previous posts, my point was that releasing Summon Night 5 in Europe maybe wasn't worth it anymore...? And in case you missed it: we were talking about that "outlier" from the start: the fact that Summon Night 5 never got released in Europe. Because, as I said, it's probably not worth it.

If it was actually worth it, everyone would be releasing never before published niche Japanese PSP games in Europe, wouldn't they? Because, as you claimed, Europe is pretty much the valhalla for anyone looking to publish niche games.

Only: as it turns out: NOBODY seems to agree, because no PSP games get published in Europe anymore.

So it makes little sense for GaijinWorks to try that now (when they can make more money elsewhere), unless they'd somehow have very good prospects of at least making some money out of it. At least in America, they know that they can get a profit out of it.

Well Trails in the Sky Second Chapter released a month and a half before Summon Night 5 in the US, it took them 2 weeks to release it in EU.

Bit of a different story there, as it's a direct sequel to a game many people (both in Europe and America) bought and loved 5 years earlier. Making it a bit easier to predict whether it will sell or not.

That's not what I asked about, at all.

All the relevant information was in there though, if you wanted to find it at least.

I specifically stated (between brackets) which release is exclusive. Which implies all the rest is not exclusive.

The exclusive release is up for pre-order right now. Some minor deduction on your part would have tought you that the rest consequently isn't up for pre-order yet.

Ventara

That is one awesome LE, though I'm afraid I don't have the money for it. Not counting shipping, that would be $170 CDN. Will just stick with the regular copy. Though I do have until mid-September to change my mind, so that's nice.

vireland

Should I assume the standard version for Vita (and PS4) will be sold at retailers like Best Buy? The way it's worded is a little weird and I'd think if they were exclusive to the GaijinWorks site, they'd be up for pre-order right now.

Yeah, we're only doing the limited Wonderful Edition through the website. The regular game only version will be available at retail. You should be seeing the regular version of PS4 and PSVita versions on Amazon, Gamestop, etc for preorder before long.

vireland

Right now it's set for digital only in Europe, but we're still trying to make a limited physical release of the regular retail version happen there for this one. It's a long shot, but we'll see.

vireland

Also, I think the PS Blog entry was edited for space. The actual entry I wrote was longer and wasn't so "stop and start." Here's the full original PS Blog post I turned in, before it was shortened. I think it has a little more flavor, but you decide:

As a gamer, it always bothered me that English speaking gamers were denied the goodness of Summon Night. But making the connections required for an English license to happen is not a simple undertaking. I don’t know who else, If anyone, was crazy enough to try to tackle Summon Night, but back in 2014, our madness paid off - the planets aligned, years of work paid off, and our karma glowed bright enough that we were able to license Summon Night 5 so we could finally release the first mainline Summon Night game in the US. The only drawback was that it was being released on the PSP, which only had a small but dedicated base left after almost 10 years since its release.

But, our hard work for that dedicated group of RPG fans would pay off in large ways. It turned out Summon Night 5 was only the warmup – Summon Night 6: Lost Borders would be the main attraction, and would be our very first multi-platform release, since it is for both PlayStation 4 and PS Vita. BANDAI NAMCO was happy enough with the job we did on Summon Night 5 that we were invited to do the next game in the series, which we discussed in a top-secret meeting in June 2015 at E3. Even about 9 months before the Japanese release, it was clear this was a beautiful, fun strategy RPG that was a Summon Night game, through and through. And it was extra-special because the game was tagged as a special release that celebrated the 15th Anniversary of Summon Night; it would bring together many key characters from the whole series for one grand, guaranteed trope-free romp.

Er...okay, I lied about the trope-free part. There as many JRPG tropes as you would expect throughout Summon Night 6: Lost Borders, maybe more, but they’re as fun and funny and entertaining as you would hope. The game centers on three main characters, living in isolation, except for a cute flying sidekick each one has. Their solitary routines are upended when people literally begin falling from the sky into their world. At first, they struggle to learn who the visitors are and why they dropped in, but as they unravel the mystery along with these visitors, they learn the power of friendship, eventually using that power to help them overcome a dark secret that cuts to the heart of their reality.

The gameplay is classic Summon Night, but both turbocharged and streamlined. The usual strategy grid is displayed when you move, but the characters are free to run anywhere within their movement range without being limited to the squares. The Summon magic is represented here, as expected, as are assists, but there’s a new huge Summon Burst type of attack that unleashes crazy devastation on enemies. Terrain is expressed in 3D beautifully, as are the characters. And the ever-popular night conversations are available with more characters than ever to help develop strong ties with allies at the end of every chapter. Cross-save is also making its first appearance, allowing the game to be played on PlayStation 4 and also on PS Vita with the same cloud save, so fans can have Summon Night wherever they are. And, they’ll need that edge because the game is a replay beast, with more than a dozen endings to try to see.

There will, of course, be a regular retail release for the game with a case, disc and even a physical manual, but what I’m really excited about is the Wonderful Edition I’ve put together for fans. I feel like it’s the best Collector’s Edition value in at least the last decade, a throwback to my days at Working Designs where we were setting the bar for Collector’s Editions in North America with almost every release. But the Wonderful Edition eclipses anything I put together at Working Designs. It’s, well...wonderful. The set includes the PlayStation 4 game with full color disc label and full color physical manual, a 200+ page hardcover art book with a dust jacket, a full 32 track soundtrack in a full CD case, one of three possible adorable 7” plush (randomly inserted) of the sidekicks, four PVC coasters with the main characters and game logo, a huge 21”x30” poster, and an awesome, enormous box it all comes in. This special item will only be available from the GAIJINWORKS website via the presale that opens today. The early birds will get a special price, and the presale that reserves copies of this for fans closes forever on October 31st so we have time to get everything manufactured, shipped, and assembled in time for the game’s release in February.

Whichever version you choose to play, whether PlayStation 4, or PS Vita, regular edition or Wonderful Edition, if you’re a jRPG fan, you’re in for a rare treat that opens the door to a fantastic universe a little wider.

Quixzlizx

Just to confirm, there will be no JPN voice track?

If not, is it due to licensing hell, or do you just don't think people want it?

At this point in the localization industry it would be foolish of any niche publisher to think people don't want dual audio.
Of course dual audio is the preferred option but it's not always feasible which is probably what happened here. The cost can be astronomical.

I've been trying to look up information about the game but haven't been able to find too much.

Do we pick a Cross again or is it just the little blue/pink poofs?

I loved that part of 5 for the partnership between the two!

vireland

Licensing costs rising at an unsustainable rate are killing Japanese audio options. We tried for Summon Night 6, even though the cost quoted just for the Japanese voice license alone was more than we GROSSED on any of the Class of Heroes games. We were going to do a thing where if we hit a certain amount of sales (that would make the voice license work), we'd do it. However since we don't have source code for this project, we have to rely on the Japanese developer and we were told that they wouldn't have time to implement dual audio, even if we paid for the voice license, so that was that.

We definitely tried to include it.

vireland

I've been trying to look up information about the game but haven't been able to find too much.

Do we pick a Cross again or is it just the little blue/pink poofs?

I loved that part of 5 for the partnership between the two!

The three main characters in SN6 don't have crosses since they're not from Lyndbaum or the Otherworlds, but the Summon Night characters that fall into the heretofore unknown world featured in SN6 still bring along at least some of their powers. However, the new "Summon Burst" kind of takes the place of the super attacks with a cross. Summon Burst attacks are almost like a two person Summon Assist, but the magic that they unleash is huge and devastating. Also, Summon Assist is present and accounted for. The battles also allow more characters to participate without swapping them out.

Quixzlizx

Licensing costs rising at an unsustainable rate are killing Japanese audio options. We tried for Summon Night 6, even though the cost quoted just for the Japanese voice license alone was more than we GROSSED on any of the Class of Heroes games. We were going to do a thing where if we hit a certain amount of sales (that would make the voice license work), we'd do it. However since we don't have source code for this project, we have to rely on the Japanese developer and we were told that they wouldn't have time to implement dual audio, even if we paid for the voice license, so that was that.

OK. Thanks for doing your best.

Yes and yes. Both the PS4 and PS Vita releases will have a physical manual, and cross save lets you go back and forth between Vita and PS4.

Thank you, Vic. I'll be purchasing the standard Vita release along with the Wonderful LE.

And thank you for providing a generous preorder window for the Wonderful LE!

vireland

O M G. Could this be the first North American Vita retail title that has a manual?

I haven't seen one personally, but I didn't know that NONE of the NA PS Vita releases have had manuals. Whelp, at least we'll break that terrible streak if that is the case.

vireland

Thank you, Vic. I'll be purchasing the standard Vita release along with the Wonderful LE.

And thank you for providing a generous preorder window for the Wonderful LE!

It's hard to concentrate on what you're saying when I keep being drawn to your avatar!

But thanks x 2!

Ventara

I haven't seen one personally, but I didn't know that NONE of the NA PS Vita releases have had manuals. Whelp, at least we'll break that terrible streak if that is the case.

I've never seen one either. There have been some online-only limited releases that got it, but none that went retail, afaik.

O M G. Could this be the first North American Vita retail title that has a manual?

NA retail Vita games with manuals are rare indeed. The only that comes to my mind right now is Limited Run Games' recent Vita release of Xeodrifter.

I've never seen one either. There have been some online-only limited releases that got it, but none that went retail, afaik.

Exactly, I doubt there any NA retail (Gamestop, Amazon, etc) with physical manuals.

Thank you for the effort.

Yeah, we're only doing the limited Wonderful Edition through the website. The regular game only version will be available at retail. You should be seeing the regular version of PS4 and PSVita versions on Amazon, Gamestop, etc for preorder before long.

Sweet! Thanks for clarifying, looking forward to February. Wonder if it'll be out near my birthday...

NA retail Vita games with manuals are rare indeed. The only that comes to my mind right now is Limited Run Games' recent Vita release of Xeodrifter.
Hastune Miku Project Diva 2 has a physical manual but it's like 8 pages and it's divided into 3 languages lol.

dgco86

There will, of course, be a regular retail release for the game with a case, disc and even a physical manual, but what I’m really excited about is the Wonderful Edition I’ve put together for fans. I feel like it’s the best Collector’s Edition value in at least the last decade, a throwback to my days at Working Designs where we were setting the bar for Collector’s Editions in North America with almost every release. But the Wonderful Edition eclipses anything I put together at Working Designs. It’s, well...wonderful. The set includes the PlayStation 4 game with full color disc label and full color physical manual, a 200+ page hardcover art book with a dust jacket, a full 32 track soundtrack in a full CD case, one of three possible adorable 7” plush (randomly inserted) of the sidekicks, four PVC coasters with the main characters and game logo, a huge 21”x30” poster, and an awesome, enormous box it all comes in. This special item will only be available from the GAIJINWORKS website via the presale that opens today. The early birds will get a special price, and the presale that reserves copies of this for fans closes forever on October 31st so we have time to get everything manufactured, shipped, and assembled in time for the game’s release in February.

Hi Vic,

Thanks again for all your hard work. It's been a pleasure collecting all of Gaijinworks' stuff.

Regarding the 3 randomly inserted plushies, there was a note on the page saying "If you place multiple orders, we will make every effort to get you a selection of different plush from the three available, but we cannot guarantee this."

Would it be sufficient to just place 3 separate orders, or should I email someone to specify my preference for 1 of each variant if possible? Also, would I need to place all 3 orders at one go, or can I leave a week or two between each order?

Thanks!

vireland

Hi Vic,

Regarding the 3 randomly inserted plushies, there was a note on the page saying "If you place multiple orders, we will make every effort to get you a selection of different plush from the three available, but we cannot guarantee this."

Would it be sufficient to just place 3 separate orders, or should I email someone to specify my preference for 1 of each variant if possible? Also, would I need to place all 3 orders at one go, or can I leave a week or two between each order?

Thanks!

When the orders are queued for shipment the multiples are kept together, so we'll be able to see them regardless of when in the presale period each order was placed. That's so we can try to give people who've ordered multiples a selection of variants. We didn't have that worked out for Class of Heroes 2, but we improved that for CoH2G and by Summon Night 5 we had a pretty good system for that. I'm pretty confident that barring an actual mistake on a specific order we'll be able to give multiples a non-repeating selection of the plush variants (unless it goes past 3, when it will repeat because there are only three possible plush). The "every effort" part is just there in case there's an error.

vireland

Hm...do you pay immediately for the LE? Not sure.

Yes, it's charged right away. You're actually buying a reservation code, which will be emailed to you. At release, that reservation code will automatically be fulfilled and a Wonderful Edition shipped to you. This system has worked really well for the last three games we've done since we can lock down exactly how many to make because people have paid for their copies. It's why the presale closes at the end of October. We need time to actually make all the components, ship them, and assemble in time for the game release. 90 days isn't a lot of time when you're doing custom manufacture split between the US and China. We have to have everything ready to go in late January.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Exactly, I doubt there any NA retail (Gamestop, Amazon, etc) with physical manuals.

That Miku game, Project Diva F 2nd has a manual. Short but in color.
Technically, that's the first I believe.

Top Bottom