• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summon Night 6: Lost Borders Coming to PS4, PS Vita in February 2017

Loudninja

As a gamer, it always bothered me that English-speaking gamers were denied the goodness of Summon Night. But making the connections required for an English license to happen is not a simple undertaking. But back in 2014, our madness paid off — the planets aligned, years of work paid off, and our karma glowed bright enough that we were able to license Summon Night 5 so we could finally release the first mainline Summon Night game in the United States.

It turned out Summon Night 5 was only the warmup — Summon Night 6: Lost Borders would be the main attraction, and would be our very first multi-platform release on PS4 and PS Vita.

Even 9 months before the Japanese release, it was clear that this was a beautiful, fun strategy RPG — and a Summon Night game, through and through. And it was extra special because the game celebrated the 15th anniversary of Summon Night; it would bring together many key characters from the whole series for one grand, trope-free romp.

There will, of course, be a regular retail release for the game with a case, disc, and even a physical manual, but what I’m really excited about is the Wonderful Edition I’ve put together for fans. I feel like it’s the best Collector’s Edition value in at least the last decade.

The Wonderful Edition eclipses anything I put together before, including my work at Working Designs. It’s, well… wonderful. The set includes the PS4 game with full-color disc label and full-color physical manual, a 200+ page hardcover art book with a dust jacket, a full 32-track soundtrack in a full CD case, one of three possible adorable 7″ plush (randomly inserted) of the sidekicks, four PVC coasters with the main characters and game logo, a huge 21″x30″ poster, and an awesome, enormous box it all comes in.

This special item will only be available from the Gaijinworks website via the pre-sale that opens today. The early birds will get a special price, and the pre-sale that reserves copies of this for fans closes forever on October 31 so we have time to get everything manufactured, shipped, and assembled in time for the game’s launch in February.

Whichever version you choose to play, whether PS4 or PS Vita, regular edition or Wonderful Edition, if you’re a JRPG fan you’re in for a rare treat that opens the door to a fantastic universe.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...rders-coming-to-ps4-ps-vita-in-february-2017/

Wonderful Edition up for pre-order here: http://www.gaijinworks.com/SN6_WE_orders.htm
(Total shipping Outside Continental US & US Territories $19, Canada $35, other international addresses $48, added at checkout. )

Today we are taking the wraps off one of the best special edition box sets we've done, the Wonderful Edition for Summon Night 6:Lost Borders. It's the super-size direct presale-only big brother to the standard retail release that will come out in February. The Japanese collector's edition for the PS Vita was very nice, so we had a lot to live up to, but we put our ambition into overdrive to improve on that in every way possible for the North American PlayStation 4 collector's edition.

We took the softcover Japanese art book and made it hardcover with a de-embossed logo in the cover and a dust jacket to protect it all. And since the game theme is one of friendship, we decided to make cool molded PVC coasters featuring the characters from the game so you can enjoy a cold one with your friends while you play without marking up the furniture with condensation rings. The soundtrack is the same as the Japanese one, but upgraded with a full CD case and booklet instead of just a sleeve. Fans liked the mini poster we included with Summon Night 5, so we've supersized that idea for Summon Night 6, including a massive 21” x 30” poster in this set. And then there's the plush. We think you're going to fall in love with the main character's sidekicks like we have, so we made a hefty plush of each of them. The pink one, Quilt, is shown, but there will be a blue one and a gray one, too. Each Wonderful Edition will have one plush randomly inserted from among the three we're making. All of this is packed up with the PlayStation 4 game in a big, beautiful box that will look great next to your other prized gaming possessions.

Presales for the Wonderful Edition are open today - right now! Each presale reservation voucher purchased will reserve one Wonderful Edition that will ship when the game is released in February. From now until September 15th, we're offering a $20 discount off the $149 price, meaning you can get it for $129! From September 15th to October 31st the price returns to $149. After October 31st we will not be selling any more Wonderful Editions so we have time to complete manufacture, ship, and assemble the sets so they're ready for launch.

WE_Order_Shot.jpg

Should I assume the standard version for Vita (and PS4) will be sold at retailers like Best Buy? The way it's worded is a little weird and I'd think if they were exclusive to the GaijinWorks site, they'd be up for pre-order right now.

I'm actually glad this is coming out in 2017, give me more breather room since this year is so busy.

As much as I love playing on my Vita, I'm going for the PS4 version.

mejin

Wish I could get Wonderful Edition, but Persona 5 and Horizon coming in February too. Standard edition it is.

Wish I could get Wonderful Edition, but Persona 5 and Horizon coming in February too. Standard edition it is.

Pre-orders for the WE end in October already and payment is taken upon ordering.

So you would have to buy this WE now (i.e. the coming months) and not alongside the other games in February.

Man, it would be so much easier to buy this if I could get the PS4 copy swapped out for a Vita copy before shipping.

I don't even care about variant discs and cover art or whatever.

Class of Heroes 2 also never came out, right?

It looks they haven't released a game in Europe since 2012.

That is correct. It's probably just not worth it whatwith all the European rating systems etc (PEGI, USK, the Russian thing), which all cost money.

Digital only releases of PSP games don't really get a lot of attention anymore anyway in 2016.

Clive

$164 USD even with the early bird discount is a bit steep to get it to Canada but I needs it. No chance of Gaijinworks teaming up with VideoGamesPlus for a more Canada-friendly alternative? I know Gaijinworks has worked with them in the past.

$164 USD even with the early bird discount is a bit steep to get it to Canada but I needs it. No chance of Gaijinworks teaming up with VideoGamesPlus for a more Canada-friendly alternative? I know Gaijinworks has worked with them in the past.

If that were the case, VGP would probably not give you the early bird discount though. So it would likely end up costing you about the same.
That discount is purely there to make it a bit more manageable for international customers.

Victor Ireland on the GW forums said:
It will be more than that. Even with the discount being offered for early birds, it will be over a hundred. I'm doing the discount for the early birds to help out International fans, especially. This will be a very heavy collector's edition and shipping will be bad for international shipping as a result. The discount offered for the initial 6 weeks or so will offset most of the shipping for international, and make the price very good for domestic, relatively speaking.

http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact...SVita)-stateside&p=83476&viewfull=1#post83476

Ranmo

Thanks for the heads up! Went ahead and pre-ordered. Glad they use Amazon pay. Made it as simple as possible.

The CE is wonderful indeed, but that price with shipping and custom duties to Germany would kill me. Way too expensive. Pitty.

JarrodL

That is correct. It's probably just not worth it whatwith all the European rating systems etc (PEGI, USK, the Russian thing), which all cost money.

Digital only releases of PSP games don't really get a lot of attention anymore anyway in 2016.
Reading this post actually makes me angry. This is a series of good games that were never localized and released outside of Japan in their time - a tragedy, if you ask me. They have a small but dedicated international fan community despite this - people who have been hoping for something to happen for years. A few fan translation projects were attempted, but nothing complete/solid ever came out of them (to my knowledge).

And now, when one of these games FINALLY gets officially translated and released in english in US, you're saying "it's not worth it" to release in Europe for the rest of us because it's too much effort to get a game rated. Are you for real? Please don't encourage them or justify their line of thinking, they absolutely should release the game for everyone!

Go buy Summon Night 5 if you haven't already.
I will, as soon as it's available for purchase in my region. :sadface:

And now, when one of these games FINALLY gets officially translated and released in english in US, you're saying "it's not worth it" to release in Europe for the rest of us because it's too much effort to get a game rated. Are you for real? Please don't encourage them or justify their line of thinking, they absolutely should release the game for everyone!

*sigh*

Listen, pal, this is just my opinion. I don't know the whole story behind it.

But think about it for a moment:
- Summon Night as a series is completely unknown in Europe. In America you at least still had some spin-off releases on DS.
- the PSP section in the PlayStation Store in Europe was closed a while ago. So PSP releases have like ZERO visibility on there. So how do you even promote your product to European gamers? It's hard enough as it is to get an American gamer website to write a story about a PSP release in 2016.
- GaijinWorks is not known in Europe. In America many gamers know about Working Designs and may thus be familiar with its successor too.
- the rating systems I mentioned earlier. Each one of them costs thousands of euros, which you have to pay up front as a publisher. Which means, to make any profit AT ALL, you'll have to sell quite a bit of copies already. As a result it could take months, maybe even years to just earn back the costs you made.

I'm sure you'd like publishers to lose money over any release as long as you get your game. But that's simply not how the economy works.

JarrodL

- the PSP section in the PlayStation Store in Europe was closed a while ago. So PSP releases have like ZERO visibility on there. So how do you even promote your product to European gamers?

Only the native store on PSP itself was closed, you can still buy PSP games through the web store or the Vita PSN store. Those who want to buy it will have no trouble doing so. I can't accept any of the other reasons you listed either - because they basically all apply to any new game freshly introduced into the west, and, obviously, that doesn't stop other publishers from releasing their games in Europe.
Well, except for Atlus, but that's just ... Atlus. Let's not encourage others to follow their example, maybe, please?

Holy shit that price...
I don't know about this one. I've preordered ever GW game since they've been doing this but I'm gonna need to stop and think on this for a bit.
Id love to have that WE but if not I'll definitely still grab the standard.

Only the native store on PSP itself was closed, you can still buy PSP games through the web store or the Vita PSN store. Those who want to buy it will have no trouble doing so. I can't accept any of the other reasons you listed either - because they basically all apply to any new game freshly introduced into the west, and, obviously, that doesn't stop other publishers from releasing their games in Europe.
Well, except for Atlus, but that's just ... Atlus.

Honestly, I don't care what you choose to accept or not.
I know you can still download PSP games. I stressed the visibility of new PSP releases though, the marketing aspect of it. PSP games are well hidden in the PlayStation Store. If you can't find the games to begin with, there is no point to being able to download them.
All the other reasons I listed are to show how a release of Summon Night 5 in North America is different from a release in Europe. You seem to think there isn't a difference, which is simply wrong.

Also: how many other publishers released a newly translated PSP game in 2016 in Europe?
Because that's what we're talking about here: not just ANY "new game freshly introduced into the west", as you imply. But in stead a game on a dead platform. Which no other publisher even considers touching any more.

*sigh*

Listen, pal, this is just my opinion. I don't know the whole story behind it.

But think about it for a moment:
- Summon Night as a series is completely unknown in Europe. In America you at least still had some spin-off releases on DS.
- the PSP section in the PlayStation Store in Europe was closed a while ago. So PSP releases have like ZERO visibility on there. So how do you even promote your product to European gamers? It's hard enough as it is to get an American gamer website to write a story about a PSP release in 2016.
- GaijinWorks is not known in Europe. In America many gamers know about Working Designs and may thus be familiar with its successor too.
- the rating systems I mentioned earlier. Each one of them costs thousands of euros, which you have to pay up front as a publisher. Which means, to make any profit AT ALL, you'll have to sell quite a bit of copies already. As a result it could take months, maybe even years to just earn back the costs you made.

I'm sure you'd like publishers to lose money over any release as long as you get your game. But that's simply not how the economy works.

-Europe is more friendly to niche Japanese games than the US though
-PSP games are available on the Vita store and new released PSP games are available on the Vita games tab of the Vita store
-Them not being known might have something to do with the fact that they don't release their games here? XSEED or Aksys were not know until they started releasing games in Europe.
-That's a valid complaint but I would expect them to have the money to pay it when doing a staggered launched and they if it ends up not being worth it they can mention it and people would stop complaining. Maybe they already did but I personally have no idea.

Tapejara

I'll just be going for the standard version. Will probably pick up the physical PS4 version first and then get the digital Vita version whenever it goes on sale.

Glad you were able to bring this game over, Vic!

-Europe is more friendly to niche Japanese games than the US though

Yeah... this is purely speculation on your part. If Europe is so niche friendly, then why is it completely being ignored by the likes of Atlus. Oh, right, probably because you think those companies are stupid.

-PSP games are available on the Vita store and new released PSP games are available on the Vita games tab of the Vita store

I know this. Strangely no one releases any new (as in: not previously published) PSP games anymore in there. I wonder why. Such missed opportunity!

-Them not being known might have something to do with the fact that they don't release their games here? XSEED or Aksys were not know until they started releasing games in Europe.

I'm just saying: Working Designs was a legendary publisher in the States. Anything its successor publishes will attract more attention in that region (even if it's deeply hidden in the Vita store) just based on that fact alone. In Europe they have to start from scratch. In the States they are almost guaranteed to run a profit, in Europe (after paying a lot more on ratings fees) the risk is a lot higher to not make any money at all.

-That's a valid complaint but I would expect them to have the money to pay it when doing a staggered launched and they if it ends up not being worth it they can mention it and people would stop complaining. Maybe they already did but I personally have no idea.

So you want them to lose money and then complain about it? Lol.

JarrodL

Last thing they said about the possibility of the EU release for SN5 was this:
We're still trying to work through the process for all the PSP games (and one PS3). Having never done SCEE/PEGI we just keep coming up against a new issue when we think we have everything covered. The latest is a technicality with the global approval from like 18 months ago. We'll work through it, and once we get ONE on, we should have a roadmap to get everything up.

So it doesn't seem like marketing or recuping costs is what's holding them up, but just working through the process for the first time. Sounds like they need time/motivation to finishing doing that more than anything else (especially since they're a small studio), which is why seeing posts in the vein of "it's not worth it, they shouldn't bother" makes me want to jump in and argue. They should bother, and it is worth it for plenty people who care about good games, dead platform or not.

Wasn't this just released on PSP? If it's the same game that's awesome that they didn't just release the PS4/Vita versions and call it a day. Makes everyone happy and able to play.
You're thinking of Summon Night 5 which released on PSP last year.
This is the sequel.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You're thinking of Summon Night 5 which released on PSP last year.
This is the sequel.

Not sure if Id call it a sequel outside of just being numbered in the series. As the story pretty much has nothing to do with the other games outside of characters from previous titles dropping out of the sky.

Its basically Summon Night super robot wars with how the cast is a mishmash of everything else. lol

Yeah, I realized after posting, I edited my post. Thanks :)

No chance this hits Xbox One tho?

Considering there never was an Xbox One version highly doubtful.

So it doesn't seem like marketing or recuping costs is what's holding them up, but just working through the process for the first time. Sounds like they need time/motivation to finishing doing that more than anything else (especially since they're a small studio), which is why seeing posts in the vein of "it's not worth it, they shouldn't bother" makes me want to jump in and argue. They should bother, and it is worth it for plenty people who care about good games, dead platform or not.

Of course they have to go through the process for the first time.
That includes figuring out if they can even break even financially. In other words: figuring out if it's worth it or not, because the costs of a European release are different.
And in case you didn't know: before Summon Night 5 they released Class of Heroes 2 for PSP digitally and physically in North America. And NOT AT ALL in Europe.
The exact same logic applied to that game (i.e. "go through the process for the first time"). Well: it never happened.
Not saying it can't still happen, but clearly it's not a priority. Just as getting Summon Night 5 in Europe is also probably not a priority.

Top Bottom