• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Nintendo Direct Aug 31, 2023

eIttTHi.jpg
😏

BlackTron

Time to once again show SEGA how 2D is done. Looks great, better than the New games. Not a fan of the talking flower's voice, but it's a feature for young kids so it needs to be clear and audible.

If the new 2D Sonic, which comes out 3 days apart, is actually good, using 16 bit physics. Along with a game based on SMB3 physics. This timeline man, I could NEVER have dreamed this stuff, I would laugh at myself

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The little flowers remind me of Locoroco a little

VN1X

Banned
Not sure why people are hating on the flowers. As far as I know they only talk when you get close to them?

It's not as if they have endless amounts of nonsensical dialogue trees either as seen in so many other games lol. I think it adds some charm and personality to it.

Hudo

Not sure why people are hating on the flowers. As far as I know they only talk when you get close to them?

It's not as if they have endless amounts of nonsensical dialogue trees either as seen in so many other games lol. I think it adds some charm and personality to it.
You can actually romance them.

Regginator

This is shaping up to be the best 2D Mario platformer since, what, World? Maybe since the first New because of its novelty then, but from a gameplay perspective Wonder trumps over it and everything else.

Gonna be two expensive months with BG3 and Wonder.

Sojiro

I agree. At most we have seen single lines from them, it's not like they are prattling on for a long while or anything. Besides, you don't even have to stop for them, Mario just runs by them as they say hi or some other line. The flowers fit in with the wacky style this game has. There are a whole lot of grumpy no fun people in here lol.

The direct was great, a good number of additions in there that look cool. I was already sold on this game from the first trailer, this direct only added to that.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I mean, I can throw in that the colors are slightly more pastel?

Otherwise, I imagine most people would just think they're the same game if they saw full-sized screenshots of U Deluxe vs Wonder.
I saw a huge difference immediately, but I’m also a huge Mario fan.

Not sure what to tell you. One looks like the old school Mario artwork, the other one doesn’t.
c9Fj7r8.jpg

Hudo

Basically the same art style
Huh? I think they're pretty different, especially in motion.

Color palette is different throughout the board. The models are still 3D but strictly axis aligned to give off a 2D vibe and have different proportions, closer to SMB3 (IMHO), especially noticable in the animations, which are completely differently done than in NSMB. Lighting is different. UI artstyle is different. Actions now seem to have pop-art style background surrounding the character, that was completely absent as a stylistic tool in the NSMB games.

They have a completely different visual language introduced here in comparison to the NSMB games. But then again, I am not an artist/designer. So what the fuck do I know.

Cashon

Banned
Huh? I think they're pretty different, especially in motion.

Color palette is different throughout the board. The models are still 3D but strictly axis aligned to give off a 2D vibe and have different proportions, closer to SMB3 (IMHO), especially noticable in the animations, which are completely differently done than in NSMB. Lighting is different. UI artstyle is different. Actions now seem to have pop-art style background surrounding the character, that was completely absent as a stylistic tool in the NSMB games.

They have a completely different visual language introduced here in comparison to the NSMB games. But then again, I am not an artist/designer. So what the fuck do I know.
I'll put it this way:

Is there any debate or hesitation about the difference in art style between Super Mario 3 and World? Even if you go with the All-Stars version, they look very distinctly different. How about World and World 2?

There's a reason why many people's initial reaction was "NSMB style again?!"

Hudo

Then I guess our observations differ. Because from what I could observe, many people were more like "oh, that art style is neat".

But fair enough, I guess.

Cashon

Banned
Then I guess our observations differ. Because from what I could observe, many people were more like "oh, that art style is neat".

But fair enough, I guess.
Just as an example: https://www.nintendolife.com/featur...wonder-really-a-departure-from-the-new-series

As a said, there are definitely small changes/additions to color palette, animations, and details, but people have to really look to notice and then convince themselves that the changes are significant enough to be considered different.

Astral Dog

I'll put it this way:

Is there any debate or hesitation about the difference in art style between Super Mario 3 and World? Even if you go with the All-Stars version, they look very distinctly different. How about World and World 2?

Its not entirely different, its not the same either

NSMB U literally reused assets and models from the Wii version, Super Mario Wonder is an evolution from that style,lightning ,animations and models have been totally revamped

It looks nicer,fresher,and with actual gameplay innovations,alot(and i mean a lot) of people played and enjoyed the NSMB games,i don't see the problem in finding a middle ground

Super Mario Wonder is a succesor,and looks like it will be a very good game 👌

Top Bottom