• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Nintendo Direct Aug 31, 2023

Neff

There's much more to this mechanically than I expected. Lots of abilities and features.

Was never a big fan of the New series, which this is obviously a spiritual continuation of, and the music/talking flower is annoying, but it does look very interesting nonetheless.

i feel with odyssey they were so close and an iteration on the formula would have put them into galaxy territory of all time greatest game. They usually do 3d then 2d then 3d so i don't think your guess of it being on their next console is all that far off.

I will say this + Sonic, 2d platforming is gonna have a good year.
Meh, it's unfortunate platformers these days don't have the same impact as they had in the 90s. There is not many of them anymore and those that do exist for the most part they are just ok. I believe because they are just very basic "one and done" kind of experiences and the audience for them are just not large enough to create more.

Holammer

Time to once again show SEGA how 2D is done. Looks great, better than the New games. Not a fan of the talking flower's voice, but it's a feature for young kids so it needs to be clear and audible.

Jeeves

Now this is a sufficient step forward for 2D Mario in a post-Mario Maker world. Looks like it's doing a fine job of balancing between setting itself apart from predecessors while also pulling the best principles and concepts from the series past...even to the point of kind of pulling badges from Paper Mario? I love it!

tkscz

Peach out here giving Dumbo drunken nightmares
GIF by tomcjbrown

Glad to see the game does a lot to be unique both thematically and mechanically. The "New" series was antiquated the moment it was released. Missing abilities, lack of unique level design, enemies and bosses were copy pasted from older titles. And the best thing re-introduced in Wonder that was missing from every "New"
kick-up.gif

Why has kicking upwards been missing in 2D mario after World I'll never know but so damn happy it's back.

mcjmetroid

I can't say I was blown away but it's probably going to be better than the new games. I'm still not a fan of their musical choices and the general art style of it.

I still wish they would treat the 2d games like a 2d version of the 3d games. There's no reason they can't be just as epic.

Fake

The artstyle of the chars are OK, but the rest of the game looks super cool.

Glad they are giving this genre a try.

SCB3

I wasn't too sure on the Art style in that last direct but this has sold it on me, being Mario it was Day 1 anyway but I legit cannot wait to play this

E-Cat

I’ve never enjoyed the sound design/music in modern 2D mario. I was hoping they go in a different direction here, make something that’s a bit darker. I dunno, I loved how dark some of the tracks in SMW were and I don’t think they ever hit that tone since.

Blame the Kondo-imitating losers who only seem to copy his style at the surface level

Skeptical

Neo Member
That was neat. Tons of weird new ideas, weird new enemies, weird new powerups. If they can combine that with some excellent level design (which even the NSMB games had), we should get something truly great. Personally, I hope that there's still something there that elevates this from "great" to "special." Remember the first time playing SMB3 and getting to the Kuribo shoe level? Or playing and all of a sudden the hammer bros on the map turned into a white ship filled with coins and you were all "what the WHAT?" Or playing SMW and finding star levels and thinking this was cool and all but weird and then you completed them and got transported to a black screen with super crazy levels named Tubulur and stuff and you were all "what the WHAT?" again? Yeah, I'm hoping for that level of creativity. Throw some secrets, REAL secrets into the game that nobody expects. Throw some moments in there that just defy all expectations (hopefully the Wonder effect can do some of that). SMB3 has been my favorite platformer for 30 years. Let's see if it can get dethroned.

But if not, well, I'll probably still be happy with it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I love the little talking flower dudes, honestly. I like their stupid little reactions lol. Also seriously digging the music here.

Something feels a bit off about the visuals… they’re like halfway between something new and unique, and NSMB. I think that’s what’s throwing me off, is that it’s still a bit too close to NSMB, maybe? Either way, I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

But holy crap, the star of the show is definitely the creative gameplay design. Stages look so fresh yet readable. I love the pseudo online play idea too. Wonder effects are just as cool as I was hoping. And Badges?? The player can change up Mario’s gameplay kit at will? That is SO cool and is gonna make replaying stages super fun.

Gotta say, I really love everything about this game so far. Maybe with the exception of some of the visuals, but I’ll probably get used to them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the visuals. Looks better than NSMB, but still a bit too "pre-rendered 2D". 2.5D like the 3D World levels in SMM2 would have been better IMO.

I'm day one, cos it's Mario platforming. Live the badge system idea, was hoping for public, Mario 35 style races. The ghost system is great but I really want Mario 35 back.

Can I have Mario 35 back?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Have to admit, it's a bit hard to get excited about this, when Mario Maker is just 1000% more interesting, even years after launch--always some clever levels and brilliant designs to find.

I think I'd be okay with sunsetting 2D Marios in favor of an ever expanding line of Maker games.

Last edited:

Fake

4 players local co-op is the best bonus this game have.

Devs should learn one thing or two with Nintendo.

Last edited:

LRKD

Is Mario now a STRAND game?
The flowers look annoying af still, the elephant power up is disturbing, badges seem to trivialize an already way too easy series. But regardless of all that it looks quite fun.

Well ! That's a ton of weird ass ideas but looks good! Weird but good , I thought he kept saying pedo island 😄, petal island ...yeah! They must of been on some good ass shrooms while creating this game.

Jsisto

Gotta be honest, looks kinda bland and basically more “new super Mario bros”, but with some new, bizarre elements thrown in. Seems to be kinda lacking inspiration. Put this next to something like Tropical Freeze and it’s not even close. Looks fun, but can’t say I’m excited for it.

linko9

Looks fun, though I don't love the idea of having to go through every level twice once you figure out what badge is needed. Overall it looks like a minor evolution of 2D Mario, which will be fun, but not groundbreaking.

Oberstein

I’ve never enjoyed the sound design/music in modern 2D mario. I was hoping they go in a different direction here, make something that’s a bit darker. I dunno, I loved how dark some of the tracks in SMW were and I don’t think they ever hit that tone since.

It's amazing how far ahead these composers were.
It's not just nostalgia, Koji Kondo has done wonders.
And indeed, you can't find that distinctive touch in the new, modern 2D tracks.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Looks fun, though I don't love the idea of having to go through every level twice once you figure out what badge is needed. Overall it looks like a minor evolution of 2D Mario, which will be fun, but not groundbreaking.
You don’t ‘need’ any badge though, or did I misunderstand it?

To me it seems those were just optional. Some will obviously help/make the level easier but I didn’t get the impression you had to use a badge to clear a level?

Top Bottom