• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Nintendo Direct Aug 31, 2023

Muffdraul

Super Mario World is literally the reason I'm here today. The reason I became a born again gamer in 1991, after leaving them behind for about 7 years after I hit puberty. But I've just never been able to go back to 2D Mario. Same as the New Super Mario games, if I were to buy Wonder, I'd play it for a few levels and then never touch it ever again.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I will play it once, have a somewhat enjoyable but forgettable experience, and never touch it again. lol

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I see the talking flowers are the new Yoshi’s New Island music, what with people already hoping there’s a way to mute them. When they found out there isn’t, we’ll have threads begging for a patch.

And LOL at the people ranting about the Nintendo score bonus and this one getting 11/10s. 2D platformers are passé, even if it’s Mario. This will be a 7 or 8 from most outlets, with 9s and the occasional 10 from the most Nintendo-leaning sites. New Mario U was an outstanding game and nobody gave a shit because WiiU.

Also, don’t forget this will be pretty easy until the latest stages and the likely post-game content.

Now that that’s out, I can say I’m sure this will be another great Mario game. Probably day one for me.
That limited edition hardware though? Eeeh, not really feeling it. That Nintendo-red dock would stick out like a sore thumb in any real-world living room.

EruditeHobo

This looks good, and don't get me wrong I'm definitely going to buy and play this close to day 1... but I think it's honestly a little embarrassing how minimal these 2D Marios feels compared to what they could be doing with this concept. And I'll admit this definitely feels like perhaps the deepest/most innovative of their 2D Marios, so I do give credit for that... but it could/should be so much more.

Just for one example -- one-at-a-time badges? Shouldn't you just add those moves to the moveset through progress?

4 players local co-op is the best bonus this game have.

Great... but why isn't there online co-op as well? So frustrating, but it just wouldn't be Nintendo if there wasn't something maddeningly annoying about even their most fun-looking product.

Last edited:

Fake

Great... but why isn't there online co-op as well? So frustrating, but it just wouldn't be Nintendo if there wasn't something maddeningly annoying about even their most fun-looking product.

If I would guess is because Nintendo Online infrastructure is utelly trash.

My old brother send me his Switch Lite as a gift wih Pokemon, this new Pokemon game don't even have real time online battle, they are like 'base turn' and even just using base turn events the online system can't keep up resulting into disconnects.

This is like my main complain with Nintendo products. Nintendo are like in the stone age in comparison with the competition.

Skeptical

Neo Member
Wired has an interview with Takashi Tezuka. Some tidbits:

- The team was purposely not given a deadline in order to make sure that no idea would be cut for time
- Multiple badges were considered but dropped. “It felt more like maybe something that you would see in a Zelda title,” says Tezuka. “It didn’t really feel very Mario-esque … Mario gameplay is a lot more straightforward and simple.” So for those questioning the move, that's the official reason (and one I personally agree with).
- One high priority of the team was to fill the levels with secrets. I hope this is legit and not just fluff.
- Every main course apparently has a different Wonder effect. The team supposedly collected over 1000 different ideas and then narrowed them down

EruditeHobo

That’d be cool imo. My guess would be that they don’t want to add more moves than absolutely necessary so that people who are familiar with the 2D games can jump in and always feel ‘at home’.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right... I'm sure it's done with good reason. I just see what's possible, and it feels so much more interesting than the safe games that they end up putting out. Especially in this series. That is part of their whole brand, I get that... but imagine a 2D Mario with like the Mario 64 moveset to start, perhaps with worlds catering to a specific powerup (or badge?) that you actually needed to use to progress? Something much deeper in terms of the demands on the player.

Whatever. Nintendo do what they do really well. I just think this series in particular could be so much deeper and more interesting.

But! I will play this. It looks pretty fun.

This is like my main complain with Nintendo products. Nintendo are like in the stone age in comparison with the competition.

It's a huge bummer.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The New Super Mario Brothers art style continues to be a drag. I'm also not feeling the new power ups. That said, the Wonder Flower LSD trips look pretty nifty as does the potential of the badge system. I also like the look of the Souls inspired online functionality.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

- The team was purposely not given a deadline in order to make sure that no idea would be cut for time
- Multiple badges were considered but dropped. “It felt more like maybe something that you would see in a Zelda title,” says Tezuka. “It didn’t really feel very Mario-esque … Mario gameplay is a lot more straightforward and simple.” So for those questioning the move, that's the official reason (and one I personally agree with).
- One high priority of the team was to fill the levels with secrets. I hope this is legit and not just fluff.
- Every main course apparently has a different Wonder effect. The team supposedly collected over 1000 different ideas and then narrowed them down

I'm not enthusiastic about this game at all yet, but I do respect Tezuka. He's still the leader of Mario level design after all these years. I recall his Iwata Asks interviews on some past projects, particularly somewhere regarding Mario Maker that he discussed how they started making these fun level creation tools internally in order to teach level design principles.

Cashon

Banned
I think the multiple renditions of the *New* Super Mario Bros series have left a bored taste in people's mouths, because there really doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in this brand new 2D Mario.

And I'm sure it's at least partly due to this art style that doesn't look significantly different than the*New* series.

I'm sure I will eventually play this game, but for now my interest is surprisingly low.

Astral Dog

I think the multiple renditions of the *New* Super Mario Bros series have left a bored taste in people's mouths, because there really doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in this brand new 2D Mario.

And I'm sure it's at least partly due to this art style that doesn't look significantly different than the*New* series.

I'm sure I will eventually play this game, but for now my interest is surprisingly low.
You say that now but i think it will end up selling more than 30 million 🤑

I’m not a big 2D Mario fan (except for SMW) and I hate the NSMB games, but this one looks so unbelievably creative and refreshing. I love the Dark Souls style online mode with ghosts and other players. The power ups looks like a ton of fun. And the levels, wow there is just so much actual new stuff crammed in.

Was a doubter but this looks like a worthy holiday tent pole game for 2023. What an unbelievably great year this has been.

Stratostar

Game looks good, will be full of surprises for sure. I'll play it eventually, but after a closer look at it in this Direct it's slid a bit down my priority list. I grew up on 2D platformers, but I can only get so excited for a new 2D Mario. (if this was a new DKC or Wario Land we were talking about, however, day fucking 0)

The art style looks okay. Love the new, more lively animations for the characters themselves, don't love the yapping flowers. Nice to see Daisy get some action in a mainline title. And from what I've heard, the new voice actor for Mario is serviceable. I like the way he says "Wonderful!"

AREYOUOKAY?

doIvK3W.png

game looks so overly busy and chaotic, i couldn't even finish the video

and i hate the nsmb art style

super mario world is still the goat 2d mario 30+ years later, it's insane

Robb

Gold Member

This all sounds fantastic! Especially the part about the wonder effects and secrets.
chris-pratt-rubbing-hands.gif

UnNamed

Banned
At first it seemed flash-like animation to me. Now I used to it, I like it a lot.
It's an impressive game graphically.

My only worry is the framerate during the online mode, too much stuff there.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
In before Elephant Peach Waifu fanart.
Before?
I wouldn’t search for Elephant Peach images without turning on safe search starting from ten minutes after the presentation.

For people scoffing at the graphics, take a good hard look at the animations. This is on a completely different level compared to the New series.

Marvel14

Banned
Think it's going to be stunning...it looks like they've created stages that work on multiple levels(!) and have to be replayed multiple times with different badges to fully appreciate/complete....this could be the genre innovating evolution of the generation. And a fitting Swan song for the Switch.

They've taken mushroom references out of the game wherever possible -- mushroom kingdom to flower kingdom (makes little sense on the face of it) -- guarding a potential backlash from anti psychedelic social policies. Elephants and particularly 'pink elephant' was a term related to drunk hallucinations.

Hudo

I wonder if this will end up having a "Deluxe" version for Switch 2.

Really weird but I kinda like it: In the German version of the game, the flowers talk in German. And it's not a bad voice they've chosen.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Mario Maker 2 is a thing.
I don’t think Mario Maker scratches the same itch for most people, me included. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe has sold over 16M copies (despite being a WiiU port) while Mario Maker 2 is at 8M.

In theory Mario Maker 2 should be the superior title I guess with all of the styles, options etc. etc. but I don’t think the building theme has the same allure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom