• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Snake would bring more hype for the Wii U version, especially if he's heavily marketed upon his reveal. And if they include the code for the 5 bonus characters free for the 3DS version, it'd be more incentive for 3DS players to get the Wii U version, & they could bypass the Cross-Buy stuff. Either way, my gut is telling me that if this leak is legit, the 5 DLC characters will be in the Wii U version to start with.

Why would a 3DS owner buy the Wii U game for the DLC? It would be significantly cheaper to buy the DLC separately..

When trying to debunk a leak, we shouldn't go for such stretch arguments. The only things that ever debunked a leak was a source image or a character reveal anyways. Whether if a leak is doable is irrelevant.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yesterday Girahim A.T and today he shows ballad of the goddess... Impa incoming lol?
Sakurai has hinted at vet and newcomer reveals just before showing them(SMG stage and then a couple days later rosalina reveal, metaknight mii mask and then MK's reveal), so you might be on to something

Just looking at the potential leak and its DLC contents, is anyone else completely surprised that there are only five Pokémon characters? Brawl's roster was much smaller and technically had six playable Pokémon, and the Pokémon series has grown considerably since 2005/2006. There should be an equal amount of Pokémon or more of them, not fewer. Considering the presence of Mega Evolutions, Mewtwo is a really glaring omission.

Mario having seven reps and Pokémon having five is very bothersome to me. Mewtwo may be Gen 1, but he's a villain who is really liked at GameFreak and had been recycled back into the movies and games lately. I think with Pokémon games moving forward the focus is going to be far less on the new Pokédex and more on the new experience as a whole. Gen wars based on Pokédex will be obsolete.

When trying to debunk a leak, we shouldn't go for such stretch arguments. The only things that ever debunked a leak was a source image or a character reveal anyways. Whether if a leak is doable is irrelevant.

Yeah, it could always feasibly be fake, no matter how high quality.

It is weird how "leaks" always seem to be blurry off-screen cell phone photos instead of full un-deniable videos... but even the low quality ones turn out to be true sometimes, like Mario Maker at E3.

I think most people agree. You can edit basically any image into any other image given enough time, but being unable to properly source any of these renders is the strongest argument for the thing being real at the moment. The strongest argument against it would be to disprove one of the renders, just ONE of them, then the whole thing is debunked.

Unfortunately that requires seeing the final game's character select screen or having another veteran or newcomer revealed so we get their official art. The whole leak is teetering on a fence, and a single piece of additional evidence will prove it or debunk it.

So we wait.

The tension builds.

The arguments get more desperate.

The whole thing is going to just lead to more anger and frustration from both sides towards one another, the longer it takes to find out the truth.

A war is brewing.

Po6XwcD.gif

And the dog is the puppetmaster. As he always was.

georly

Yeah, it could always feasibly be fake, no matter how high quality.

It is weird how "leaks" always seem to be blurry off-screen cell phone photos instead of full un-deniable videos... but even the low quality ones turn out to be true sometimes, like Mario Maker at E3.

With enough time and skill, I can create a perfect replica of the Brawl CSS. That doesn't make the brawl CSS fake.

Crocodile

I'm going to have to agree with others in that I really can't see a good reason for not bringing Mewtwo back. Unlike all the other cut vets, he's actually INCREASED in popularity and notoriety since Melee. I can't imagine that Sakurai/Game Freak/whoever would care about Gen I over-representation as we now have LESS of it than we did in Brawl with the Squirtle and Ivysaur cuts.

Mewtwo should really come back. Imagine Mega Mewtwo Y in Smash and Mega Mewtwo X in Pokken? That's some good synergy (or something :p) IMO :p

Why would a 3DS owner buy the Wii U game for the DLC? It would be significantly cheaper to buy the DLC separately..

That's not necessarily true

Smash for 3DS is 39.99, if each of the DLC is $5 for the 3DS version and included for free with the WiiU version it would be cheaper to just wait and buy the WiiU version as opposed to buying the 5 character DLC separate.

Also the DLC could be a $20 dollar pack for all 5 which would make it the same price as the WiiU version

Not

Banned
Yeah, Fi is a trophy. Not happening. If the leak is fake (which I'm... sigh... starting to doubt), and we get a Skyward Sword rep, it'll be Impa.

nerdbot

It's like stephen colbert level of persona, i think. He's always 'in-character' in public, but I bet he's probably normal when at home w/ friends and family. Maybe even professionally (when doing VA work, not PR work). A side of him that many have not seen.

I met him at San Diego Comic Con on 2012. He was incredibly nice. The girl in front of me had a sick kid brother and he gave him a phonecall and did this whole adorable Dr. Mario act for him.

He did a little video for my friends and he heard my worn out convention voice and told me to drink plenty of fluids and take care of myself and not let all the excitement overwhelm me, in this really genuine grandpa way.

I also find it weird at the idea of

Mario = 7 reps (up 3 from Brawl)
Pokemon = 5 reps (down 1 from Brawl)
Zelda = 5 reps
Fire Emblem = 4 reps (up 2 from Brawl)
Kid Icarus = 3 reps (up 2 from Brawl)

It just seems really lopsided, if any one franchise should have 6-7 reps it should be Pokemon over Mario.

Popnbake

Has a fighting game ever locked a character behind retailer specific DLC?

I know MvC3 had pre-order characters, but they went on the store quickly and it wasn't retailer specific.

Retailer specific DLC is not something I can see happening for Smash. For Nintendo they would want everyone to have as much equal access as possible given fan expectations.

It's another reason why I don't think they will put much attention towards really limited/rare Amiibos.

Sponge

Banned

Zelda = 5 reps

It just seems really lopsided, if any one franchise should have 6-7 reps it should be Pokemon over Mario.

Not to mention DK still at 2 reps after Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Why are you starting to doubt whether or not it's fake?

I think he's saying his first reaction was that it's fake, and that he wants it to be fake, but the more he looks at it and thinks about it he's starting to believe it's real even though he really doesn't want that to be the case.

Zelda = 5 reps

I dunno, people overlook how important the Mario franchise is to Nintendo. It really is the flagship franchise and it's not that big of a deal to me if it has the biggest representation.

Pokemon is a tricky one too because with the Pokeball items there's actually a ton of representation. I'd like to see them get more creative with the Pokemon choices by letting you actually play as Red or a Gym Leader or something, using Pokemon as B moves.

Zelda though, Zelda deserves at least one new character if Fire Emblem and, more importantly, Kid Icarus of all things gets two additional characters.

Since the stage select image doesn't provide any indication, how do you guys reckon you toggle FD variants of stages? A switch in options, perhaps, and it'll disable all stages that don't have FD mode? It seems a bit out of the way, but that'd probably make the most sense.

edit: I'm dumb. So, maybe after you select the stage, you choose between FD or normal mode?

Is Go Shiina too busy with Tales or something? Gonna be disappointed if he's not doing anything for the Wii U version either despite Namco working on this and having so many of their composers contributing here.

Very late reply I know, but Go shiina is working on Tales of Zestiria....but so is Motoi Sakuraba, which makes me wonder why Go Shiina is not helping with smash. And Sad. :(

Maybe on 3DS? =D

*goes back to reading the past pages*

Since the stage select image doesn't provide any indication, how do you guys reckon you toggle FD variants of stages? A switch in options, perhaps, and it'll disable all stages that don't have FD mode? It seems a bit out of the way, but that'd probably make the most sense.

I guess I figured it was going to be random, everytime you pick FD it just randomly selects a theme for it.

georly

Zelda = 5 reps

Well, it's not odd when you consider that it's sakurai.

We know he's a huge fire emblem fan, and he made KI:U.

I think he really likes pokemon, too, so that's weird.

He went to the roundtable:

Here he is showing off his loot:

He also seems to be a monster hunter fan (crosses fingers), even though it was a gift:

Luqi

Am I the only one who thinks that the Dog is a terrible fit for the game?

I mean... yep, terrible fit, he doesnt mash with the other characters and look at him.

Thinking about Pokemon reps, we tend to count reps by number of movesets - thus, with Pokemon Trainer, Brawl has 6 reps. Do we know that this is how Sakurai counts reps? Might he count by slots on the CSS? In that case, Pokemon Trainer would count as one rep, not three, which means Brawl would have had 4 reps, and now Smash 4 will have 5 - a gain rather than a loss of 1. Just a thought.

It's like stephen colbert level of persona, i think. He's always 'in-character' in public, but I bet he's probably normal when at home w/ friends and family. Maybe even professionally (when doing VA work, not PR work). A side of him that many have not seen.

I just saw this quoted, and without the context, I thought at first you were talking about afoni lol

Neoxon

Zelda = 5 reps

Mario & Pokémon bring in the most money for Nintendo, so I can understand why they have ample reps. And though I never expected a Zelda newcomer, I'm sad that we won't get anyone new from that series even though Fire Emblem & Kid Icarus got new reps (even though both mentioned franchises had series-reviving, or series-saving in FE's case, entries since Brawl).

Thinking about Pokemon reps, we tend to count reps by number of movesets - thus, with Pokemon Trainer, Brawl has 6 reps. Do we know that this is how Sakurai counts reps? Might he count by slots on the CSS? In that case, Pokemon Trainer would count as one rep, not three, which means Brawl would have had 4 reps, and now Smash 4 will have 5 - a gain rather than a loss of 1. Just a thought.
Sakurai considers there to be 39 characters in Brawl, so he counts the Pokemon separate.

georly

Pls.

PLS.

A ranged MonHun fighter with sword melee would be AWESOME.

I'm ok even if it's just a stage. I'd normally say 'no chance' since they're player-created... but now we have Mii and Robin, so anything's on the table. MH is one of capcom's biggest things, so i'd not discredit it. It would be totally unexpected.

Interesting if he uses an arsenal of weapons, or uses an 'iconic' weapon, like greatsword, and then items (potion, barrel bombs, traps, etc).

Also, just started MH4 on my japanese 3DS last night. Love it. Love love it. Charge axe may be my new main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom