• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock: Remake |OT| The ChatGPT Revolution

Draugoth

Gold Member

rPJnxmh.jpg

CUGpX9Y.jpg

BGATzFm.jpg

2L13jNN.jpg

DYWLH0a.jpg

fd1b97e47b0e28d0abb50759859cb9fb_original.gif

Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to a greedy TriOptimum executive. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to discover the surgeons are missing, the station is in disrepair, and the once-prime corporate facility now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots, and mutated beings, all programmed to serve a ruthless A.I.: SHODAN. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror...​

b91dfdf7f7d36867d402a59365a1c712_original.gif

The full release of System Shock is available for Windows, PlayStation, Linux, Apple Devices and Xbox One. The Windows version is available on Steam, Epic Games Humble, and GOG (DRM-free).
The upcoming remake is currently arriving as a Windows PC exclusive. However, Nightdive Studios plans to release it on console platforms, including PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and other PC platforms like Linux and MacOS. Developers have not yet confirmed a release window for the console versions.

cea2ce2081b30136e77ca6e9e80382bd_original.png
epic-games.png

Rmjv8PX.jpg

eVqZNK1.jpg

Controller Scheme

Mouse & Keyboard Scheme

OTHER LINKS

Last edited:
In the middle of my playthrough, never played the OG. I should update steam to the beta one so I can take notes with the in-game display because I keep spamming my friends chat with the codes I find because I havent found their use yet and with so many audiologs and emails you cant remember them without writting them down. It's also hard to remember/figure out what to do, for example only by complete luck I disabled the mining laser, only because I wanted to go back to that level to get an upgrade I forgot and Shodan triggered some enemies on me and I was like huh there must be something new here.

Other than that, amazing game. God I love this genre. I'll be coming back to it every 2 years or so just like Prey, I can already tell. It's like Im playing a survival horror + immersive sim, since I'm almost always out of ammo or limited ammo. Wish I could've put the mission difficulty on Hard like all the other things but since I never played it I had no idea what the 10 hour objective meant for me.

Thanks for the OT.

xrnzaaas

I finished it and it was great, I really liked the remake. The only weak point for me are the boss fights - I just didn't enjoy fighting a similar boss again and the final confrontation felt weak. Other than that it's still a superb game and SHODAN still remains an incredible antagonist.

dok1or

Wish I could've put the mission difficulty on Hard like all the other things but since I never played it I had no idea what the 10 hour objective meant for me.
Yap, this is confusing!

It tells that you have 10 hours, to stop Shodan and you will permanenlty die if Restoration Bay is not activated....
So i tried game to start on lvl 3 and I died on the beginning and I could load save with no permadeath...

So why is here mentioned Restoration Bay and permadeath?? When you can save and load game.

Is this 10 hours, to find Restoration bay on current lvl or to finish the game?? This permadeath is confusing me because there is no permadeath because you can load save.

Yap, this is confusing!

It tells that you have 10 hours, to stop Shodan and you will permanenlty die if Restoration Bay is not activated....
So i tried game to start on lvl 3 and I died on the beginning and I could load save with no permadeath...

So why is here mentioned Restoration Bay and permadeath?? When you can save and load game.

Is this 10 hours, to find Restoration bay on current lvl or to finish the game?? This permadeath is confusing me because there is no permadeath because you can load save.

I think after 10 hours, its game over for good, and you can't do anything about it. You can load save but the timer will still be active on that save which means u're kinda screwed either way. Thats my guess.

dok1or

I think after 10 hours, its game over for good, and you can't do anything about it. You can load save but the timer will still be active on that save which means u're kinda screwed either way. Thats my guess.
But why is mentioned Restoration Bay?

But why is mentioned Restoration Bay?

Dont know, like I said, never played it. Thats why I didnt risk putting the mission objective on Hard. Everything else is on Hard and I love it. Once I finish it, maybe I'll know what they mean and future replays will be done on that Hard.

dok1or

You have mod that makes it 24 hours...
I asked and there about this....

There; 24 hours in corner:

RMKlc94.png

Last edited:

dok1or

Dont know, like I said, never played it. Thats why I didnt risk putting the mission objective on Hard. Everything else is on Hard and I love it. Once I finish it, maybe I'll know what they mean and future replays will be done on that Hard.
Explained:

Mission 3 in the remake work the same as the OG did on normal difficulty.

Lest say you are on the lvl research and you did NOT activate res chamber on THAT level if you die you die.

In the remake mission 2 and below if you die there you will respawn on the lvl you have active res chamber active so it is easier than in the OG.

10 hours permanetly die means game over.

Also if you have cyber 3 on and you die on mission 3 without res chamber active on that lvl you likely die as well so it is much harder than 2/2/2.

And time limit means you will use energy and free healing less as that takes time.

dok1or

Will this make its way to consoles?
Yes....

Look at the end....

PLANS FOR FIRST PATCH

Below is a list of the upcoming items that will be included in the first patch of System Shock, which is currently pending:

• Fixed Softlock in Research Level by making Elevator Lobby doors and Circuit Breaker Room door always open if that Quadrant has power disabled.
  • Fixed Softlock in Reactor when pulling the Reactor Self-Destruct Lever and reloading a save
  • Improved Realspace Enemy AI
  • Improved Cyberspace Enemy AI
  • Improved Magnum Weapon laser dot FX
  • Improved Mag-Pulse Weapon impact vortex FX
  • Add Headbob Option to Accessibility Settings
  • Added Autosave after using Surgery Machine on every Difficulty
  • Fix for Surgery Machine getting stuck in a permanent busy state
  • Fix for Energy Shield screen FX not restoring after loading a save
  • Fix for pressing Back in the Media Reader to not close entire MFD
  • Corrected the Escape Pod Status in MFD Status Screen when triggering Self Destruct sequence
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Flight Deck with older DX11 versions.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting Maintenance Cyberspace.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing Grove Chess.
  • Fixed Ragdolls to not fall into place when loading into levels or saves
  • Players will have to save at least once to see it take effect after downloading this patch
  • Improved grenade rolling behavior when thrown.
  • Improved ragdoll behavior on Human Corpse attached to Cortex Reaver.
  • Fix for weapons with installed Modkits not always showing their attachments properly.
  • Fix Magnum laser sight FX not working properly when loading a save with it enabled.
  • Fix elevator music not stopping when the player dies in an elevator and respawns on another level.
  • Fix for Audio Log Portrait disappearing in certain cases.
  • Fix for game pausing unexpectedly after loading a game.
  • Fix equipment soft-lock that could occur when dying while arming an explosive.
  • Fix equipment soft-lock when saving and loading while focusing on a puzzle.
  • Credit Machines will dispense Tri-Credits when a Finance Chip is used on them.
  • Broadcast Monitors can now be shattered when attacked.
  • Minipistol Burst-Fire Modkit shoots three rounds instead of two, and can be toggled on/off.
  • Bio-Tanks that are destroyed will stop generating hazards after a short duration.
  • Items can be bound to the hotbar by pressing a hotbar hotkey while mousing over the item.
  • Balance tweaks to Maintenance Cyberspace Level
  • Removed duplicate Audio Log from Flight Deck

Console announcement date?

Console versions are running smoothly but need a few rounds of QA support before we move to certification.

Kuranghi

Console announcement date?

Console versions are running smoothly but need a few rounds of QA support before we move to certification.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the PS5 version, seems to be decently optimised on PC.

Does anyone know if the PC version has HDR?

dok1or

I'm wondering if I should wait for the PS5 version, seems to be decently optimised on PC.

Does anyone know if the PC version has HDR?
No.
I think there will not be HDR on console release

I will go and try Win 11 auto HDR...

Kuranghi

No.
I think there will not be HDR on console release

I will go and try Win 11 auto HDR...

Ta pal, I'll be happy with SDR over an after-thought HDR presentation anyway, and I'd rather just my backlight up in SDR than use any sort of Auto HDR horribleness personally.

dok1or

SDR look great also! Playing it on TV with tweaked picture settings and it look great!
I would recommend editin Engine.ini to have more light sources and bigger light draw distance, (vanilla ----- Engine.ini lines)

[SystemSettings]
r.DetailMode=2
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=4
r.HighQualityLightMaps=1

52947982484_15787c198e_o.png

Last edited:
For people who have played / finished this do you recommend rhis for people who have never played System Shocks but love Bioshock and really liked the newer Deus Ex games.

Old school games are fine by me, but I never played a lot of PC back in the day. Just games like Half Life and CS etc.

dok1or

For people who have played / finished this do you recommend rhis for people who have never played System Shocks but love Bioshock and really liked the newer Deus Ex games.

Old school games are fine by me, but I never played a lot of PC back in the day. Just games like Half Life and CS etc.
Yes! It is immersive game!
I have played original when it came out, but only a little and this is great!

Few QOL patches, bug fixes and game will be even better.
Melee combat is only thing that I dont like, but after hour or two you only use guns, so not big problem...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Presentation in general is incredible. Lighting, sound, music, atmosphere. Just wow. Animations are a bit wonky at times.

Whats the average playtime? After 10 hour it feels like i barely scratched the surface. I do take my time however.

dok1or

I thins if you are exploring and reading, around 35 hours...
I am now lost in Storage after 9 hours, must find radiation suit to enter reactor...

So ,mod for 24 hours to finish is......critical!! hehe

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I thins if you are exploring and reading, around 35 hours...
I am now lost in Storage after 9 hours, must find radiation suit to enter reactor...

So ,mod for 24 hours to finish is......critical!! hehe
Good to hear. I don't want it to end. It's so good. Especially the first playthrough.

Con-Z-epT

I think you gonna love it. I completely forget about the time while playing and when i take a break i can't stop thinking about it. Nightdive put a lot of love into it and it shows. Best game i played this year so far.

darrylgorn

This game really does bring back that serotonin hit of exploration.

It's certainly not a linear experience but that sense of satisfaction when you find a key item or plot event is something we need to inject back into the current generation of flaccid games.

Last edited:
Yes! It is immersive game!
I have played original when it came out, but only a little and this is great!

Few QOL patches, bug fixes and game will be even better.
Melee combat is only thing that I dont like, but after hour or two you only use guns, so not big problem...
Well Bioshock didn't exactly have a good melee system but it's still in my top 10. Does the shooting feel good? How's the shotgun?

I'm currently only playing on PS5 so hopefully it doesn't take too long for to arrive on consoles. And maybe just maybe most of the glitches have alreay patched by then.
I think you gonna love it. I completely forget about the time while playing and when i take a break i can't stop thinking about it. Nightdive put a lot of love into it and it shows. Best game i played this year so far.
Oh wow! I hope that the menus and weapon swapping will be good for consoles. Do you think the map layout is confusing?

Kuranghi

SDR look great also! Playing it on TV with tweaked picture settings and it look great!
I would recommend editin Engine.ini to have more light sources and bigger light draw distance, (vanilla ----- Engine.ini lines)

[SystemSettings]
r.DetailMode=2
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=4
r.HighQualityLightMaps=1

52947982484_15787c198e_o.png

Yeah, looks ace, I'm very happy with this excellently done presentation in SDR.

OoooOOOooo so its similar to UE in terms of variables that can be applied? Like TAA and pre-sharpening? Thats awesome if so, that way I can make it have a super clean IQ at 30fps since I think 60fps above 1440p is out of the question on my 1080 + 3770K, going by the demo performance anyway.

Oh ffs, I really shouldn't buy another game while I have so many on the go, you are a bastard for getting me more hyped on this game, an evil doctor you are.

Last edited:

dok1or

Yeah, looks ace, I'm very happy with this excellently done presentation in SDR.

OoooOOOooo so its similar to UE in terms of variables that can be applied? Like TAA and pre-sharpening? Thats awesome if so, that way I can make it have a super clean IQ at 30fps since I think 60fps above 1440p is out of the question on my 1080 + 3770K, going by the demo performance anyway.

Oh ffs, I really shouldn't buy another game while I have so many on the go, you are a bastard for getting me more hyped on this game, an evil doctor you are.
hahaha

You can destroy lights! :messenger_beaming:

Some of my gameplay...

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

PLANS FOR FIRST PATCH

Below is a list of the upcoming items that will be included in the first patch of System Shock, which is currently pending:
  • Fixed Softlock in Research Level by making Elevator Lobby doors and Circuit Breaker Room door always open if that Quadrant has power disabled.
  • Fixed Softlock in Reactor when pulling the Reactor Self-Destruct Lever and reloading a save
  • Improved Realspace Enemy AI
  • Improved Cyberspace Enemy AI
  • Improved Magnum Weapon laser dot FX
  • Improved Mag-Pulse Weapon impact vortex FX
  • Add Headbob Option to Accessibility Settings
  • Added Autosave after using Surgery Machine on every Difficulty
  • Fix for Surgery Machine getting stuck in a permanent busy state
  • Fix for Energy Shield screen FX not restoring after loading a save
  • Fix for pressing Back in the Media Reader to not close entire MFD
  • Corrected the Escape Pod Status in MFD Status Screen when triggering Self Destruct sequence
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Flight Deck with older DX11 versions.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting Maintenance Cyberspace.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing Grove Chess.
  • Fixed Ragdolls to not fall into place when loading into levels or saves
  • Players will have to save at least once to see it take effect after downloading this patch
  • Improved grenade rolling behavior when thrown.
  • Improved ragdoll behavior on Human Corpse attached to Cortex Reaver.
  • Fix for weapons with installed Modkits not always showing their attachments properly.
  • Fix Magnum laser sight FX not working properly when loading a save with it enabled.
  • Fix elevator music not stopping when the player dies in an elevator and respawns on another level.
  • Fix for Audio Log Portrait disappearing in certain cases.
  • Fix for game pausing unexpectedly after loading a game.
  • Fix equipment soft-lock that could occur when dying while arming an explosive.
  • Fix equipment soft-lock when saving and loading while focusing on a puzzle.
  • Credit Machines will dispense Tri-Credits when a Finance Chip is used on them.
  • Broadcast Monitors can now be shattered when attacked.
  • Minipistol Burst-Fire Modkit shoots three rounds instead of two, and can be toggled on/off.
  • Bio-Tanks that are destroyed will stop generating hazards after a short duration.
  • Items can be bound to the hotbar by pressing a hotbar hotkey while mousing over the item.
  • Balance tweaks to Maintenance Cyberspace Level
  • Removed duplicate Audio Log from Flight Deck
Again, this patch is pending.

Con-Z-epT

Well Bioshock didn't exactly have a good melee system but it's still in my top 10. Does the shooting feel good? How's the shotgun?

I'm currently only playing on PS5 so hopefully it doesn't take too long for to arrive on consoles. And maybe just maybe most of the glitches have already patched by then.

Oh wow! I hope that the menus and weapon swapping will be good for consoles. Do you think the map layout is confusing?

Shooting feels very good in general. Weapon animation, design and sound is top notch for all models. However the fights play out fairly similar.

Seems like the console version isn't to far out. Could be a month or two... maybe three.

Most of the controls should be easily convertible to a controller layout. It's the inventory management that will be hard to get right.

The map gradually unlocks while you traverse the level. It takes a bit time to get used to it but you can set markers on your own. It can be confusing at first but the levels have enough distinctive design choices that it's not to hard to keep track of where you are. Exploring Citadel Station is by far the best part of the game.

After watching DF video I'm gonna get this when it comes to console. Hoping it's not a full priced release tho. Seems like should be a $50 or less game. Not to say it's not great but in terms of budget it doesn't seem justified at $60-$70

Con-Z-epT

After watching DF video I'm gonna get this when it comes to console. Hoping it's not a full priced release tho. Seems like should be a $50 or less game. Not to say it's not great but in terms of budget it doesn't seem justified at $60-$70
39,99$/€ for the PC version. I doubt it's full price on consoles.

Con-Z-epT

Although Diego forced you into hacking Shodan it's quite intense to see that you are responsible for all the suffering. This puts a lot of weight into all the audio logs and emails you find. I'm very curious how the story will peak.

About half way through Executives now. Medical is still the best level so far in terms of layout. Vaporizing gets very tedious and many weapon upgrades don't feel all that useful to even bother vaporizing half of Citadel Station. Finding upgrades for yourself is pretty cool. Love the boots. Laser Rapier is OP.

The bad ending for accidentally activating the laser was very surprising and super random. And the sequence with the Cortex Reaver afterwards was creepy.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

It’s easily worth 70 USD, more so than most triple A trash released recently. I got it for less than 30 EUR, which feels like a complete steal.

Con-Z-epT

Am I supposed to rush through BETA Grove, while healing like a mad man, or did i miss the Envi Suit lvl 2? Can't find an upgrade for the suit and i die pretty quickly.

Con-Z-epT

no ui font size options
:messenger_pensive:
I guess it's to early for that. Still enough small inconveniences to fix before we get into stuff like that.

Do you play in 4K or on a big screen? Even on a normal display in HD and close to it, i have to focus to read item descriptions. It's not bad i can see what you mean.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I guess it's to early for that. Still enough small inconveniences to fix before we get into stuff like that.

Do you play in 4K or on a big screen? Even on a normal display in HD and close to it, i have to focus to read item descriptions. It's not bad i can see what you mea
no big screen for me , the text is tiny and has some chromatic aberration applied to it making it fuzzy and difficult to read , hoping a future patch will let us adjust them.

Con-Z-epT

I finished it today after 25 hours. Surely the best game i played so far this year. Considering how good the remake was overall, I found the ending and the final boss fight to be a bit anticlimactic.

Otherwise i can't stress enough how good it looks, sounds and plays. Art-style is outstanding!

Every single weapon felt awesome. Dismemberment was good. When the cleaning robot starts to drag the corpses aroud you just have to apprecheate the ragdoll physics. Atmosphere so thick you can cut it.

I guess the fact that the game wants you to figure everything out on your own helps a lot with immersion. No waypoint, no marker. Just like it should be.

Constantly thought about Descent and Forsaken while gliding through the Cyberspace. A FoV slider for the Cyberspace would help a lot. Why have it for the rest of the game but not here?!

Will take a break and then double dip for the console version.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just arrived in maintenance and loving this game so far. Took me a bit to get into it. The map and level design are really something else... I only started to get a grip of everything once I used the map markers. Cause if you don't you lost. Really curious to see how they want to make this work on consoles.

Top Bottom