• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock: Remake |OT| The ChatGPT Revolution

Roni

Gold Member
I'm getting stuck constantly in this game; feels like I'm 10 years old again, playing something slightly out of my league. Feels good, feels like home... Too bad these types of games gave way to everything else we have today. Can't imagine what types of games we'd have today if this genre made the publishers the big bucks.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Cyberspace sections are just dreadful. Christ.
At least on Normal, which is the difficulty I'm currently playing, they're easily the most difficult sections of the game that I need to constantly retry and get good in order to progress...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This game is rad man...

The lack of handholding is crazy. I had to google on how to get into Executive - and it was so hard because there are barley any good guides. LOOOOL

How was I supposed to know this? Apparently some random Audiolog mentions what you have to do.

Crazy game. Might end up even toping RE4 as my GOTY so far.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Ok, what the fuck is this shit? The cyberspace section in Executive is driving me insane.

It's super frustrating as it is to make it through all the enemy spawns without quicksave and then the last transit section is pumped with mines?! That is some grade A bullshit. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

€dit: Finally firggin made it. F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5............ F5.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Am I the only one in here going in fresh and not having played the original? This game feels like from another time. Even Dark Souls usually has you going forward a certain path. But here I've been stuck multiple times now with no clue whatsoever what I even have to do. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I mean, since there is no mission log whatsoever you are screwed if you do not listen to the audio logs. The first laser mission alone... I mean, come on.... And it's so hard to even find out what you have to do because half of the time I didn't even know what to search for in Google. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can't believe I'm actually playing a game like this in 2023. Shit, makes Prey seem like the most casual game ever made.

Anyway, I'm in Engineering now. Even though I get frustrated with the lack of direction at times and the cybersections are annoying, I'm really loving this game. May even do another playthrough right after I finish it.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You can still find them saved in your journal.
I know. But when you compare the logs to say Bioshock, in latter you listen to them more in passing and for lore. In System Shock you really have to pay attention to what is said. There was this one audio log that I missed in storage that told me one digit of a door code combination. Hence I was unable to get the enviro-suit and the Beta Grove was damn near impossible to get through...

And that is what I mean… miss one audio log, can’t complete the game. Insane… Like I said, game from another time.

samoilaaa

I'm getting stuck constantly in this game; feels like I'm 10 years old again, playing something slightly out of my league. Feels good, feels like home... Too bad these types of games gave way to everything else we have today. Can't imagine what types of games we'd have today if this genre made the publishers the big bucks.
man i love these type of games , they give you freedom to use ur brain and find the solution to a situation , it doesnt treat you like you have a handicap , there are no puzzles that solve themselves , you cant just press a button and figure out where to go and what to do

this is how games should be , not a 10-15 h campaign with 5h of cutscenes and forced slow walking

samoilaaa

I know. But when you compare the logs to say Bioshock, in latter you listen to them more in passing and for lore. In System Shock you really have to pay attention to what is said. There was this one audio log that I missed in storage that told me one digit of a door code combination. Hence I was unable to get the enviro-suit and the Beta Grove was damn near impossible to get through...

And that is what I mean… miss one audio log, can’t complete the game. Insane… Like I said, game from another time.
yep , it truly is from another time , a time when the majority of gamers used to love a challenge and had good attention span

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
yep , it truly is from another time , a time when the majority of gamers used to love a challenge and had good attention span
To be fair, the year was 1994 and there wasn’t as much diversion as there is today. Back then you often had no choice but to keep searching the levels. It was either that or boredom. Today other entertainment is just one click away.

Ok, what the fuck is this shit? The cyberspace section in Executive is driving me insane.

It's super frustrating as it is to make it through all the enemy spawns without quicksave and then the last transit section is pumped with mines?! That is some grade A bullshit. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

€dit: Finally firggin made it. F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, F5............ F5.

I don't remember this playing the original. Now I'm interested playing the remake after what you said.

xrnzaaas

Cyberspace isn't that bad in my opinion. My only issue was getting lost too often (and even going back to the exit once or twice), but it's been happening to me since the first Descent game - I just can't deal with proper 3D orientation when flying in enclosed space. It stops being a problem in a game like Ace Combat when you're not limited and have the hud. I got around it by avoiding to rotate when it's not necessary.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just completed the game. Loved it to bits.

Weird for me, who often complains about the state of the industry, to have two games added to my very short 10/10 list in 2023. First the RE4 Remake and now the System Shock Remake.

There isn't much to add to what I've already said. Perhaps the last 2 floors had a bit too much shooting going on but by now I'm kinda used to it since every single "Shock" game had the same issue. I'm really puzzled why they keep doing this given that the combat is usually the weakest part in these games... Also, the very final level was a strange choice indeed.

After Prey bombed at sales I was actually thinking I'll never see a game like this again, yet here we are. Shame this SS Remake also seems to get very little traction. Why you guys no like immersive sims? :(

Patrick S.

Banned
The game is a bit boring, if I'm being honest. And big parts of the map have that feeling of "this room/corridoor/section is just here so it can be a maze for you to get lost in or have a fight. Why would it be here? What purpose does it serve?"

Denton

Is there seriously no way to enable toggle for sprint on controller?
Did nobody from Night Dive test this on a controller? It is literally unplayable, since sprint is fairly god damn importand and having to hold down analog stick is unwieldy (and makes me feel like the stick is just gonna break).

Also, what is it with the missing sound when hitting enemies with the pipe? It feels like there is zero impact, all because of no proper sound.

Apart from these issues I like what I played so far, intro is awesome. But these issues annoy the fuck outta me. 8 years since I backed it on kickstarter..

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The game is a bit boring, if I'm being honest. And big parts of the map have that feeling of "this room/corridoor/section is just here so it can be a maze for you to get lost in or have a fight. Why would it be here? What purpose does it serve?"
It's a game man, it's there to be explored.
The level design can be a bit confusing but if even I was able to get around without getting lost after some time, anyone can.

RagnarokIV

Finally just blitzed the last section on the bridge. Outstayed it's welcome when the difficulty and enemies spike after the self destruct sequence.

Can see why I never finished it as a youngling. The sequel is worlds better and kinda makes this obsolete. Still, was worth playing and glad I backed it all those years ago.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
GIF by Vulture.com

Oh cool I keep forgetting this got made, will try to keep an eye out for that update as a starting point.

Never played it and heard such good things!

Enjoyed this remake. Really captures the essence of the original. However, had to stop at the penultimate boss as it was just a little too hard to be worthwhile. Wish you could adjust the difficulty on the fly.

Guilty_AI

Surprised by how much i'm enjoying this. Very few games can convey such a great sense of discovery and exploration.

I'm not finding it as difficult as i expected it to be either, it really is just about paying attention and exploring, which certainly isn't an issue given how good the game is in immersing you into it.

I also like their approach to the inventory and weapon upgrade, it creates this pseudo-rpg where you must commit to some inferred build.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
I'll try the game when it comes to playstation. I really enjoyed Deus ex so I'm down for immersive sims.
Played through Deus Ex Mankind Divided for the second time recently, it has held up really well since it came out. Great now as in 2016. Prey is an obvious recommendation, if you haven`t played it already.

Guilty_AI

The real shame is that this thread only has two pages… Man, why do so few people like immersive sims?
I think it's less to do with immersive sims and more with the adjacent genres that usually follow it.

Stealth, tactical action, dungeon crawler, puzzle, etc; none of these are incredibly popular and just happen to be the genres most commonly associated with imm-sims. On the same page, imm-sims derived from RPG mechanics tend to gain more traction, like Deus Ex or more recently Baldurs Gate 3.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Do you guys consider this game to be an immersive sim?

For me, those games must offer multiple approaches and different solutions to each scenario. I really loved my time with the System Shock remake, but I would say it's a dungeon crawler and nothing more, since I remember it being quite straightforward when it came to looking for solutions for the problems it throw at you.

In any case, this remake? Fucking awesome game, one of the few remakes I've really enjoyed and consider an upgrade over the original.

Guilty_AI

Do you guys consider this game to be an immersive sim?

For me, those games must offer multiple approaches and different solutions to each scenario. I really loved my time with the System Shock remake, but I would say it's a dungeon crawler and nothing more, since I remember it being quite straightforward when it came to looking for solutions for the problems it throw at you.
System Shock has always been considered more of a "proto-immersive sim" than a proper immersive sim. It introduced a lot of the ideas that shaped the genre and it's almost purely system-driven, but it never really leans heavily on those aspects.

There are many areas of the game that can be accessed in a variety of ways for examples, like solving a puzzle in the front door, using a device to bypass it, or taking an alternative hidden route. I've seen some strategies the game allows you to pull also, like keeping multiple overcharged beams so you can fire them in succession without waiting for the cooldown time.

One i experienced in particular was getting the last number to a door code, the game then expected you to find another number so i could try 10 different combinations. Instead i just went to the door and tried 100 different combinations (took 5 minutes or so) and was able to get an upgrade a bit earlier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom