• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T2T CEO: Marvel's Midnight Suns was a critical success but a commercial flop

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looked like a mobile game. Gameplay i think is good, but this dialoge i couldn't even stand in short review videos, let alone play it myself. And as I understand it, the dialogs are mandatory.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Just finished this up yesterday really enjoyed the game. With the ending tease i definitely expect an expansion and a ultimate superhero edition

Jennings

I said this in the review thread before we had a stand-alone thread for this news. I'll share it here since this seems like a better place for this type of conversation:

The only reason I didn't pick up Midnight Suns, especially after all the amazing word of mouth that only continues to grow to this day, is the $70 price tag on my platform. After seeing all the love I went straight to product page and was ready to buy until I saw the price. Now the game is relegated to patient gamer status and I'll just get around to it whenever I get around to it, after a deep sale some time down the road. They just murdered my hype, all urgency, my impulse purchase, and a +1 on their sales numbers.

I have no idea how representative I am of the average gamer, but the game seems like it deserves better and it's unfortunate that it hit the street positioned so poorly and at such a prohibitive price.

Mister Wolf

Been playing this the past few weeks and absolutely loving it. Probably my favorite Marvel game to date. Hope there's more to come but considering it bombed, it's probably unlikely.

It was my first time playing a game with a card based battle system and I absolutely loved it. Makes me think about all the card based rpgs that I shouldn't have ignored in the past like Baten Kaitos.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s an excellent game. I am glad I gave it a chance because I thought it looked stupid before hand too. Anyone who has ever played a Firaxis game and liked it will like this one too. Put aside the fact that it’s capeshit and just give it a try. It is easily as good as any other game they ever did.

Fbh

I could have looked past the ugly graphics and art direction and the card based system which on the surface make it seem like a cheap mobile game. But in the end the seemingly extensive social crap in between missions ended up being the dealbreaker for me. I want to join Blade in kicking vampire ass, not joining a book club

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I said this in the review thread before we had a stand-alone thread for this news. I'll share it here since this seems like a better place for this type of conversation:
I somehow missed that the XCOM team (I love the newer XCOMs) made an XCOM-adjacent Marvel (card) game until last week. Been really enjoying Marvel Snap on mobile. Excitedly went to the Steam page. Saw "Mostly Positive" reviews along with a $60 price tag and same--straight to the wishlist for when it inevitably goes on sale. Or Game Pass.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm not paying full price for a card game. Lol.

I'm still interested in playing at some point, but I have a stack of games to finish first before I would even consider purchasing it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$70 was a total non-starter - and this is coming from someone who enjoys Marvel's output, likes tactical RPGs, and generally enjoys Firaxis stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hey Take 2, you know what else was a critical and commercial success, but you gave a big FUCK YOU to 60+ million gamers?

RDR2.

Last edited:

DryvBy

It looked like a mobile game. Gameplay i think is good, but this dialoge i couldn't even stand in short review videos, let alone play it myself. And as I understand it, the dialogs are mandatory.

I rented it on PS5 and it looks like a cellphone game. I didn't even find the gameplay fun either. I'm not sure why people loved it that played it.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Y'all in here are wild and it honestly blows my mind, nothing about this game is discount/budget and it's completely worth full price; it's super fucking good and could be a hit franchise if people would just pay for it 😤

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

It’s a full game with tons of content and lots to do. What exactly makes it a discount game?
I instantly thought of the high price point when I saw the Jason tweet just like lots of other posters. Fair or not a static xcom like game like this is going to be judged on its price regardless of its content.

$70 is a premium price and consumers only give that up to AAA games the first month. If they had charged $50 it would have stood out. It would be cheaper than new last gen games and a fair price point.

Inscription. Tactics Ogre Reborn is $40 on Amazon for Switch.

Nintendo is charging $40 for tactics Ogre. Argue all you want about how they are different games and ones a remake. You still can't charge $70 for Marvel suns or this will happen.

Bet it sells alot though when it's on sale. It's on my wish list

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I tried to get a refund from MS for this game (no fault of the game, just would rather use the money on a different game) and was denied. I only played it for about an hour.

Oh well. I look forward to getting back to this game though. I’ll likely have to start over though. I don’t think I remember the mechanics.

Top Bottom