• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
Renewed? Honestly, I'm not sure what more tale needs to be told. The story kind of wrapped itself up tidily enough. Not that I'm against more, just seems a tad unnecessary.

Renewed? Honestly, I'm not sure what more tale needs to be told. The story kind of wrapped itself up tidily enough. Not that I'm against more, just seems a tad unnecessary.

season 2: explore Africa, more voodoo stuff, everyone but Tom dies

season 3: off to Nookta, Tom Hardy establishes the first Tim Hortons and creates a glorious Canadian business empire where furs and tea from china are traded for donuts. Voodoo donuts.

Alpende

Well, they just set off to a new continent so I'm sure there are plenty of stories to tell.

Finally got around to finishing this up, B-/C+ sounds about right.

Tom Hardy, the setting, the grimy luridness were enough to see me through to the end. However I found many of the story threads to be a bit too thin, never meaty enough to grab me and always woven by Delaney's all-to-convenient voodoo genius. There were a number that simply did not stand on their own and were half-heartedly worked into the grand scheme in order to justify their existence. The show was overstuffed and the massacre of the cast at the end is probably a good thing, despite losing some great talent. The show definitely has potential moving forward and despite being lukewarm on the first season, I'm very interested in how they move forward.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Yeah this show really could've done with two fewer episodes by cutting all those boring and pointless scenes with the sister, Brace and Bow. Last two episodes were great but the 3-4 episodes before were a borefest.

UrbanRats

Watched two episodes.
Production values and cast are brilliant, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't find it pretty boring so far.
It seems like they're building mystery around something that they already told you or at least heavily implied beyond not that much doubt.

Hopefully Ep3 kicks things into gear or plays with my expectations.

Wife and I FINALLY binged this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Reading through the thread, I'm glad neither of us are particularly picky. :p

I don't have anything to add that has not already been said, other than: someone early on mentioned the relatively low production values. I TOTALLY disagree with that. The show looked great; I can't imagine that 1814 London is all that easy to pull off, but they did it.

I had been recording this every week when it was airing and finally decided to watch it. I've just finished episode 4 and it's been fantastic. Really looking forward to see how this all plays out. Question, though. There isn't actually anything supernatural in this, is there?

kevin1025

Banned
I had been recording this every week when it was airing and finally decided to watch it. I've just finished episode 4 and it's been fantastic. Really looking forward to see how this all plays out. Question, though. There isn't actually anything supernatural in this, is there?

Kind of, is the best answer I can give. There could be, especially in one very specific scene (you may not be at it yet, so I'll spoiler tag it, though I tried to be as vague as possible ---
when his sister is in bed during a ritualistic moment
).

Kind of, is the best answer I can give. There could be, especially in one very specific scene (you may not be at it yet, so I'll spoiler tag it, though I tried to be as vague as possible ---
when his sister is in bed during a ritualistic moment
).
Hmmm. Thanks. And regarding the spoiler, that was in episode 4, but it's hard to tell if any of this is real.
Like later in the episode at the dance, he says he could break in to her room again or something, but I didn't know if he meant he was physically doing that or not.

kevin1025

Banned
Hmmm. Thanks. And regarding the spoiler, that was in episode 4, but it's hard to tell if any of this is real.
Like later in the episode at the dance, he says he could break in to her room again or something, but I didn't know if he meant he was physically doing that or not.

Yeah, it was fairly vague and never really played beyond that, apart from I think one more ritual scene. I think it's meant to be interpreted as either voodoo or they are so entwined as brother and sister/lovers that he has power over her and her over him, but where the voodoo and the power meet is unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom