• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRinn

Wait, is Chumly still alive?

Well, that was pretty action packed and they certainly cleared the board for the next season. Still really not thrilled with what the show did with Zilpha.

Yes. Well, sort of.
Yeah, dude is in preeeeeeeetty rough shape. Couldn't understand what he said at the end there.

I hope there is more to come at some point down the line. I still don't think this show would survive without Hardy though. Good season finale too. Closed the book on most of the stuff explored this season and left enough to tease where it could go in the future.

kevin1025

Banned
Yeah, dude is in preeeeeeeetty rough shape. Couldn't understand what he said at the end there.

I think he was apologizing to an old love of his, something like that.

But yeah, if he survives and doesn't succumb to the shock, Tom Hollander will have a good time with make-up next season, haha.

Poor Brace : ' (

I thought that was a pretty interesting aspect of the show. Brace killed his dad. Brace really did nothing while his mom was mentally abused and eventually committed to an asylum where she died (I think?). God knows what the fuck happened with Zilpha and James and the family and the assumed incest kid and what Brace did about any of it. Brace did a LOT OF bad shit to James' family and James.

So was it punishment for those crimes that he left him behind? Was it forgiveness, with his message of "you wouldn't be able to handle freedom"? Brace's expression at the end too was so weird, I really thought he was gonna kill himself but then the dog licks his face and he sorta looks happy and its just sooooo weird.

I missed the explosion in the east India company, how did it happen?

There was a packet from the "American doctor", who was Sir Stuarts double agent all along. But the packet did not contain the Nookta treaty, which is what he expected. It contained an explosive that the doctor (Chumly) had prepared. The "envelope" was something Delaney had taken from the American doctor after he killed him in the vats.

It does leave one small hanging item though, Sir Stuart should have known that the "head of the American spy agency" was the woman James visited and got the pass codes and right to sail stuff from. I guess maybe he did know and just didn't do anything with it yet, but seems a bit odd he didn't have her killed long ago.

EGM1966

So now it's finished I find I liked it overall. In particular I liked it's style/pace and the approach to character.

That said I have some niggles I think are flaws within this I'd like to see tided up going forward (no really huge spoilers but details on what I think was weak so I'll tag it):
wasted characters - his sister and a number of other characters in truth mattered little to the narrative and resolution despite being built up as having import.

weak villains in context - I loved Jonathan Price's character because I love Price but in truth the EIC was pretty lame and their attempts to thwart James pitiful. They send one assassin! They mope around when he outfoxes him with his will but fail to come up with anything concrete. They blow up his ship and try and frame him (the latter being odd as it could easily lead to him being killed in revenge which would spoil their plans). In short despite a nice strong start they turned out to be a damp squid

way to much unnecessary baggage/opaque narrative approaches - visions, ghosts, possibly mystical capabilities, taboo behavour: it was all hinted at or touched on but actually mattered to the narrative and outcome not at all. Every such event in every episode could be removed so far as I can see and nothing would change. That's bad because that means its just excessive window dressing that disguises a simple core.

In short, too often this felt like a reverse example of Chekhov's gun: everything took place in a room where every wall is festooned with guns and none of them are fired.

That said overall I liked it and found the positives outweighed the negatives. And Hardy was magnificent.

But yeah tighten it up and make sure everything has a reason. There's no point James having the past he does if it turns out to be meaningless in context.

However there is clearly room for improvement in the execution.

milanbaros

Member?
Good news for those that enjoyed Taboo.

The first 3 episodes all made the January iPlayer Top 10. In fact episode 1, with 2.8m views was second only to the first Sherlock (it beat episodes 2 and 3!).

Considering that epsiode 1 was also in the top 40 all of February, it may have overtaken it.

Big ratings success.

I felt the show was two episodes too long. I really lost interest by the end, whereas in the beginning I was pretty gripped. Seemed like a dark perversion of The Count of Monte Cristo.

I was barely paying attention through the last episode. And the BBC doing big barnstorming action sequences is usually more lol worthy than exciting. I'm unmoved by the idea of another season, I've been treating it throughout as a one off and I think that's all it should have been.

Overall a B-/C+ show. I'd watch another season, but if this is it I won't mind.
Yup, that's about where I am. I enjoyed Delaney and a few of the other characters (Cholmondeley, Lorna Bow, and Chichester in particular) and the finale certainly delivered the mayhem that had been building all season. However, I found the show overly long and grim plus the Zilpha plotline didn't do much for me. If they trimmed a few episodes and lightened it up a bit, I would have had more fun with it.

Rymuth

So now it's finished I find I liked it overall. In particular I liked it's style/pace and the approach to character.

That said I have some niggles I think are flaws within this I'd like to see tided up going forward (no really huge spoilers but details on what I think was weak so I'll tag it):
wasted characters - his sister and a number of other characters in truth mattered little to the narrative and resolution despite being built up as having import.

weak villains in context - I loved Jonathan Price's character because I love Price but in truth the EIC was pretty lame and their attempts to thwart James pitiful. They send one assassin! They mope around when he outfoxes him with his will but fail to come up with anything concrete. They blow up his ship and try and frame him (the latter being odd as it could easily lead to him being killed in revenge which would spoil their plans). In short despite a nice strong start they turned out to be a damp squid

way to much unnecessary baggage/opaque narrative approaches - visions, ghosts, possibly mystical capabilities, taboo behavour: it was all hinted at or touched on but actually mattered to the narrative and outcome not at all. Every such event in every episode could be removed so far as I can see and nothing would change. That's bad because that means its just excessive window dressing that disguises a simple core.

In short, too often this felt like a reverse example of Chekhov's gun: everything took place in a room where every wall is festooned with guns and none of them are fired.

That said overall I liked it and found the positives outweighed the negatives. And Hardy was magnificent.

But yeah tighten it up and make sure everything has a reason. There's no point James having the past he does if it turns out to be meaningless in context.

However there is clearly room for improvement in the execution.
I've crowed about the spoiler part.

I loved the scenes where the EIC complain how they are getting outplayed because Strange made them so entertaining...but I also hated those scenes because it highlighted the EIC's ineptitude. Every time Strange walks through Delaney's logic, the others look so dumbfounded :/

ZOONAMI

I don't understand the lukewarm reviews and viewer reception to this show.

It may be kind and of a slow burn but it's a drama not an action flick.

I think it is well acted, I enjoy the story, and it has great cinematography. I do think Hardy is somewhat one dimensional though and lacks emotion.

I thought it was just meant to be a miniseries but I'd be stoked about a second season with an NA setting. Would have Revenant vibes for sure.

IronRinn

Overall a B-/C+ show. I'd watch another season, but if this is it I won't mind.

Yup, that's about where I am. I enjoyed Delaney and a few of the other characters (Cholmondeley, Lorna Bow, and Chichester in particular) and the finale certainly delivered the mayhem that had been building all season. However, I found the show overly long and grim plus the Zilpha plotline didn't do much for me. If they trimmed a few episodes and lightened it up a bit, I would have had more fun with it.
This is pretty much where I ended up.

whoah, someone found something in three scenes of the show so far, first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14oAb5uin30

34 seconds in, just spoilered for those who wanna find it for themselves
F0u6Ize.jpg

Pkaz01

Ended up liking Lorna Bow a lot more than I thought I would, same with the chemist guy.

Overall will stick around to watch Hardy grunt and be a bad ass.

El Daniel

The thing I was annoyed by the most was how James was always a step ahead of anyone. Never in any danger, always in control, even when he was a captive in the second to last episode. When he got knocked out somewhere in the third episode he just woke up again and killed the guy. Even something simple like when someone brought him news he already knew it ofcourse!

I don't think I'll be back for a second season.

Aklamarth

"A show that opens with sorcery, cannibalism, and incest has no business being this dull."

Sadly, i have to agree with this.

I finally finished watching the last episode last night. I really enjoyed the show and hope it continues.

Hope Cholmondeley isn't dead if they do another season, as he's one of my favorite characters. Them heading to the Azores is a big difference in survival chances over heading to the US.

Curufinwe

The thing I was annoyed by the most was how James was always a step ahead of anyone. Never in any danger, always in control, even when he was a captive in the second to last episode. When he got knocked out somewhere in the third episode he just woke up again and killed the guy. Even something simple like when someone brought him news he already knew it ofcourse!

I don't think I'll be back for a second season.

How did he get out jail in this last episode? I must have looked at my phone when that got explained.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If there's one word that I'd use to describe this series it'd be: inessential. I'm not sure why 'Taboo' was such a passion project for Hardy - the premise was interesting but he didn't really do anything cool with it.

I also don't see why they initially implied that it was a one-off mini series, because the story certainly didn't end in a conclusive or satisfying way and there's clearly a set up for a second season.

The bolded is what really bugged me. How many times did Godfrey risk everything to run and tell Delaney the latest news, only to have Delaney brush him away because he already knew what he was going to say? It made Delaney seem obnoxious and Godfrey pointless until the very end.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I also don't see why they initially implied that it was a one-off mini series, because the story certainly didn't end in a conclusive or satisfying way and there's clearly a set up for a second season.

Yeah, no shit. Totally agree.

Kadayi

Banned
The thing I was annoyed by the most was how James was always a step ahead of anyone. Never in any danger, always in control, even when he was a captive in the second to last episode. When he got knocked out somewhere in the third episode he just woke up again and killed the guy. Even something simple like when someone brought him news he already knew it of course!

^This.

I really liked the look and feel, but there wasn't any sense of peril. Delaney always seemed to be ahead of the hounds, and I think the series as a whole would have been better served if there was at least some sense of obstacles overcome.

Klocker

Yep feel the same way as these last few sentiments... felt it was all wrapped up just to damned neatly in advance in Delaney's mind before it even happened.

Putting himself up for torture just "knowing" how everyone else would react was too much.

Had a great feel and Hardy's acting kept me glued.. but it all fizzled out

Ydelnae

I was finally able to watch the finale and my first thoughts after watching it were that I wish the whole show kept this pace. I literally laughed at Zilpha's resolution being a 2 minute scene at the start of the episode in which she kills herself lmao. Sad to see my favorite characters, Lorna and Cham, go.

I don't know if I will stick around for the next season. While I think the show has very good quality in it, I didn't enjoy the first season as much as I expected. The slow pace and lack of distinctive punch scenes were sometimes dreadful. The show also fails to hold any tension, because James is always one step ahead and he already has everything figured it out. Maybe the mary sue-ness of the character would have been better handled if the show kept exploring those secrets and dark magic that he is trying to hold back from Africa.

Does anyone else think that zilpha is still alive if they do another season?

God no, I hope she remains dead and we never see that character again.

I think Hardy fell into the same trap we all did when we heard about the show: it SOUNDS really fucking cool and awesome, but at the end of the season it really wasn't that good. Hopefully they can learn from the mistakes of season 1 and make a kick ass season 2, but it'll always be one of those shows where you just say "watch the first and last episode of season 1, skip the rest".

Falchion

Gotta say I enjoyed the first season quite a bit despite having problems with some key pieces. First, the sister was just awful, I dreaded all the scenes with her just standing their with her eyes wide open. Second, the show flirted with the ghost / paranormal stuff a lot but I didn't feel like it really explored any of that. The whole ghost in each episode thing is cool and would explain how James knew everything, but I guess they want to hold off on that until next season. Third, after all James' threats about betraying him and what happens to those who do, the Madame and her girl do just that and they are rewarded with a place on his ship for their troubles. I guess he could've forseen that and used it to his advantage, but that's still no reason to just let them do it and be cool.

EGM1966

Yep feel the same way as these last few sentiments... felt it was all wrapped up just to damned neatly in advance in Delaney's mind before it even happened.

Putting himself up for torture just "knowing" how everyone else would react was too much.

Had a great feel and Hardy's acting kept me glued.. but it all fizzled out
To be fair, unless I've completely misread it he didn't foresee everything nor did he intend to be tortured. Rather he is shown to improvise well and to maintain illusion of control while using his reputation to keep others unbalanced in their focus.

He didnt plan or expect an unknown wife to his father to appear. He didn't seem to plan for his ship to be destroyed nor dd he seem to plan for his betrayal nor even for EIC to attempt to assassinate him. Nor for US to need urgent gunpowder supplies,

Rather as these events unfolded he reacted well and quickly.

EIC out to kill him? Take out a will that blocks this?

Ship blown up? Leverage EIC into giving him a ship.

Betrayed? Resist torture until his captors are forced to allow him access to EIC to apply his leverage as noted.

I rather liked that his plans actually tended to go awry and not enough time out as intended but with a combination of bluster, the illusion of being all knowing and quick thinking he always managed to get his schemes back on track.

- Deadline: Tom Hardy Drama ‘Taboo’ Renewed For Season 2 By BBC One & FX
BBC One and FX are reteaming with Ridley Scott’s Scott Free London and Tom Hardy’s Hardy Son & Baker for a second season of Taboo. The high-profile period series that stars Hardy and is created by Peaky Blinders‘ Steven Knight with Hardy and his dad, Chips Hardy, had been expected to return. Knight recently told Deadline he’s got plans for three seasons.
Hardy said today, “We are grateful and excited to continue our relationship with the BBC and FX in contributing towards British drama. Fantastic news.”

Knight added, “I’m thrilled that a work which pushes boundaries has been so well received and found such a large and enthusiastic audience in the U.S. and Britain. We have tried to take an impressionistic, rather than figurative, approach to a narrative which we hope more accurately portrays the spirit of an extraordinary time in history. James Delaney will continue to explore many realities as he takes his band of misfits to a new world, thanks to FX and the BBC, partners who could not be more suited to collaborating in ground breaking work.”

Exec producer Scott also chimed in, “We’re thrilled people want to know what happens next and that the BBC and FX are up for more adventures with the devil Delaney and the league of the damned. Along with our international distributors, Sonar Entertainment, the BBC and FX have been great partners, supporting Taboo at every stage so it could be the dark, dirty brute of a drama that it is.”

The new eight-part season was commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content and Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama. It will be produced by Scott Free London and Hardy Son & Baker for BBC One and FX with Sonar Entertainment distributing worldwide outside the UK. Executive producers are Scott and Kate Crowe for Scott Free, Tom Hardy and Dean Baker for Hardy Son & Baker, and Knight.

Hmm... With a S2 confirmed maybe I'll finish those last few episodes on my DVR. Really found this show to be a slog, though a beautiful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom