• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taboo |OT| TV miniseries starring Tom Hardy, Tuesdays on FX / Saturdays on BBC One

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
It was the funnel toxin part that really disturbed me. Shows want to make funnels nefarious now, with that scene and the Mr Robot season two scene.

Rymuth

Really liked the second episode.

But the East India Company are coming off as hilariously weak. Their leaders are inept and dopey and it took them like...a week(?) to commission a single assassin. So much for the God-like powers...

kevin1025

Banned
Yep, that finale was real damn good.

Although, (and this is REAL SPOILERS)
killing off 80% of the cast was disappointing. So many great actors!
But it makes sense, with how things play out.

To another great season ahead!

Lorna Bow better pull through, she's fantastic.

kevin1025

Banned
Great finale but something doesn't make sense.
If they can nurse Chumley back to health, what do they need him for
?

And what justice?

Given how burned he is, Tom Hollander being in severe burn make-up for a second season is a stretch, I suspect.

For the justice,
Delaney and Godfrey gave their testimony in writing on what happened to the Influence, though I don't know how much weight it hold as enemies of the country now.

Are we getting a second season

Incredibly likely, given how well it's done, but it may be a little while from now, waiting for Hardy.

Great finale but something doesn't make sense.
If they can nurse Chumley back to health, what do they need him for
?

And what justice?

Delaney mentions it right before the attack,
chumley is the only doctor

Finale was great, entire show was very unexpected for me - I was going in expecting a crazy psuedo-voodoo Count of Monte Cristo revenge story of a simple man against rich aristocrats. Instead it really was sort of a micro story of the East India Company vs the King of England with Delaney as the proxy combatant.

I wouldn't quite call the show great yet, a lot of scenes that moved slow and its hard to tell the difference between Delaney getting superbly lucky and him actually having a plan. If it gets renewed and the next season can amp the pace a little it could be a fantastic 3 season/series show, depending on where exactly we go to next and who the enemy is.

the sister
was just an odd bit of the episode, I ... think? she's dead, but its a bit ambiguous and I thought the whole Taboo aspect of the show was gonna be the kid being their child and all that jazz, but not sure if that thread is dead or not.

kevin1025

Banned
I probably forgot, but why are Atticus and co so loyal to James?

He likely is paying incredibly well, with his (increasingly smaller) supply of diamonds. Plus he's a boss, haha.

Finale was great, entire show was very unexpected for me - I was going in expecting a crazy psuedo-voodoo Count of Monte Cristo revenge story of a simple man against rich aristocrats. Instead it really was sort of a micro story of the East India Company vs the King of England with Delaney as the proxy combatant.

I wouldn't quite call the show great yet, a lot of scenes that moved slow and its hard to tell the difference between Delaney getting superbly lucky and him actually having a plan. If it gets renewed and the next season can amp the pace a little it could be a fantastic 3 season/series show, depending on where exactly we go to next and who the enemy is.

the sister
was just an odd bit of the episode, I ... think? she's dead, but its a bit ambiguous and I thought the whole Taboo aspect of the show was gonna be the kid being their child and all that jazz, but not sure if that thread is dead or not.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The kid will likely be a product of his sister's relationship. It will tie into the second season somehow, as they travel the sea and America, where he likely grows closer to the child and also reflects on the "songs" his dead sister provides.

For the justice,
Delaney and Godfrey gave their testimony in writing on what happened to the Influence, though I don't know how much weight it hold as enemies of the country now.
Strange
appears to be dead and Delaney bailed, the prince regent will give no fuck, so there's really no one to bring to justice.
The
enemy of the crown thing gets me with how he left his inheritance as if it wouldn't be confiscated by the crown.
That's why I said they don't need him
if they can treat him, it means they don't really need a doctor.

Daffy Duck

That was a brilliant ending to the series.

I really enjoyed the show. Shame it will likely be ages before we get season 2.

kevin1025

Banned
Strange
appears to be dead and Delaney bailed, the prince regent will give no fuck, so there's really no one to bring to justice.
The
enemy of the crown thing gets me with how he left his inheritance as if it wouldn't be confiscated by the crown.

That's why I said they don't need him
if they can treat him, it means they don't really need a doctor.

The way the final moments played out, I think everything happened fairly quickly to one another. So the bombing of Strange and the disappearance of his two lackeys won't be immediate until Chichester hears about it.

Falchion

I'm halfway through right now and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's definitely a slow burn but I like most of the characters and where the plot is going. Only thing I hate so far is
James' sister because she's almost one dimensional in the sense that she just stands there with her eyes wide open and a look of horror on her face 90% of the time.

the sister

About the Taboo title: Delaney speaks with the dead, uses black magic rituals, eats human flesh multiple times, and has sex with his sister in both dreams and reality. I think we've got the title covered.

Rymuth

Finished. That was a fun series with a lot of great acting.

My one gripe was how Delaney was far too powerful and the EIC were far, far too inept. Only the Crown and the Americans posed any real threat.

Well, where to go from here? I'm still not sure why this series is going.
What's driving him?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Dish keeps cutting out because it's storming so might not be able to catch this til later.

IronRinn

Beginning to think Zilpha's leap at the beginning was just another part of James' "plan" because everything is a part of James' plan at this point.

kevin1025

Banned
Why did he reject his sister? It seems like a dick move to basically seduce her then dump her.

He took it as a bad omen during coitus that he had images of his mother drowning him, I suspect. Feelings of his mother and sister being somewhat the same, given how the husband met his untimely end to a sewing needle, haha.

kevin1025

Banned
The rest of the year tho...

True! FX is quite easily my favorite channel at this point. But outside of Better Things, and The Strain's final season, I'm curious what's ahead for them. Murphy's stuff is all next year, I believe, outside of Horror Story.

Maybe Sutter's Mayans show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom