• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for Taboo, FX original series from Tom Hardy & Ridley Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9QvSry2-CM

TABOO follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and come back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa in 1814 to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But when his father's legacy is revealed to be a poisoned chalice and enemies lurk in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder, and betrayal – a dark family mystery unfolds in an explosively colourful tale of love and treachery.

This looks ambitious. And good.

Looks good, though it does look like it'll be filling that same grimy England niche that "The Bastard Executioner" was in. Hopefully, this doesn't mean doom for the ratings much like that show,

In it for hardy and actually being able to understand him clearly for once.

But I can't deal with variations of 'I'm very dangerous' lines, makes me cringe now.

berzeli

Banned
For some reason it reminded me of Peaky Blinders in tone but that might just be the combination of Tom Hardy in a period piece with the contemporary music at the end.

Looking forward to it.

Looks goddamn amazing!!!!!!!!!

It will air on the BBC in the UK apparently, hopefully simulcast and not delayed on either side of the pond

Its 8 episodes total.

Why is Tom Hardy at FX tho
It's a co-production with BBC and Hardy wrote the script with his dad. Teaming with FX was presumably a way to get some of the funding they needed to produce the show, plus he apparently had a good time doing Peaky Blinders.

JeTmAn81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9QvSry2-CM

TABOO follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and come back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa in 1814 to inherit what is left of his father's shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But when his father's legacy is revealed to be a poisoned chalice and enemies lurk in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder, and betrayal – a dark family mystery unfolds in an explosively colourful tale of love and treachery.

This looks ambitious. And good.

Lulz at choice of metaphor here. Or is it literal? More lulz then.

jett

D-Member
One of the co-creators of this show, Steven Knight, also created Peaky Blinders. He also worked with Hardy on Locke.

It's a co-production with BBC and Hardy wrote the script with his dad. Teaming with FX was presumably a way to get some of the funding they needed to produce the show, plus he apparently had a good time doing Peaky Blinders.

I see.

FX is the best channel.

Honestly I don't know which channel I would consider "best" at this point. The only FX show I watch is The Americans, anyway. I think I like Netflix's original programming the best, but that's not really a TV channel.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Psyched.

Steven Knight is a hundred times more involved with this than Ridley Scott, damned marketing nonsense.

SJRB

Gold Member
Most random guitar rif ever at that title screen, but otherwise this looks awesome. Hardy looks intense.

Walpurgis

Banned
Honestly I don't know which channel I would consider "best" at this point. The only FX show I watch is The Americans, anyway. I think I like Netflix's original programming the best, but that's not really a TV channel.
Top tier FX shows (including those I haven't seen):
The Shield
Fargo
Justified
Longhorn or Longmere or whatever it's called
The People vs OJ
The Americans

Probably some that I am missing but I would like to emphasise Fargo. It is a modern classic.

Looks amazing. Can't wait.

Lol at the comparison to The Bastard Executioner. Couldn't make it through 15 minutes of that nonsense. And I loved SoA!

-griffy-

Banned
The Shield
Fargo
Justified
The People vs OJ
The Americans

Probably some that I am missing but I would like to emphasise Fargo. It is a modern classic.

To add to that list:
Archer
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Baskets
Man Seeking Woman
You're the Worst
Louie

(also I don't believe Longmire is a FX show)

SFenton

To add to that list:
Archer
Baskets
Man Seeking Woman
You're the Worst
Louie

And those comedies are moving to FXX, and they continue to bring great new shows.

Really digging FX/FXX. Very happy to support them and their shows by buying them digitally- don't feel like waiting a year for them to hit Hulu/Netflix. :)

Hardy doing TV is odd especially since I can't tell if this is a miniseries or not. Looks great though.

FX (and I'm also counting FXX) is the best network on TV and that includes Netflix.

Walpurgis

Banned
To add to that list:
Archer
Baskets
Man Seeking Woman
You're the Worst
Louie

I can't believe I forgot Louie since I actually watch that. Definitely need to make time for the others, especially It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. FX really is the best channel.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hardy doing TV is odd especially since I can't tell if this is a miniseries or not. Looks great though.
It's a miniseries.

The Shield
Fargo
Justified
The People vs OJ
The Americans

Terriers!

Also, Longmire wasn't from FX. That was A&E, now Netflix.

jett

D-Member
The Shield
Fargo
Justified
The People vs OJ
The Americans

Well if we're going to be including shows that are no longer on air then HBO wins for me easily.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh, Ridley Scott isn't directing this. He's just an executive producers.

Still looks really good so I'll definitely check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom