• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom is the biggest launch in UK this year, beating out Hogwarts Legacy, RE4, and Jedi Survivor

This game is going to be massive, the game is trending on tiktok and some people are already making mechas with lasers + massive media coverage + 125M user base + Nintendo is on fire due the Mario movie, is the perfect storm for ToK.

Last edited:

Kilau

Since this is boxed only, I look forward to the press release from Nintendo with the total sales.

Flutta

Banned
with modding they will buy it , game will have a long life , even longer than skyrim
Tbh i don’t believe Bethesda will have a Skyrim moment again. Those times are over. Even if you look at the social media traction Starfield is bringing in is abysmall compared to other games.

Not sure what it is, but that first reveal was shite.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Deserved. This Masterpiece should never lose to mediocre games like RE4R, Hogwarts and Jedi Survivor.
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Back to the topic, this shouldn't be a surprise.
Games like Zelda are an event for Nintendo Switch owners.
They rarely get games of this calibre which most of us take for granted.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Highly doubt it outsold Hogwarts when you factor in digital, though no complaints if it did, that game was no way near as good as its sales suggest.

RyRy93

The game probably shits from a great height on every game released on the Switch over the last few years so not much of a surprise.

Last edited:

Musashipan

I think there was a poll about sales between Totk and HL back then....
Beating HL in their own turf is something. Couldn't expect less from Zelda.
Good job Nintendo.

FunkMiller

They deserve every penny they get for creating such an amazing physics engine and stupidly huge open world on a six year old console slower than my phone.

Not surprising given that Hogwarts was limited to PS5/XSX which at the time of launch didn't have a ton of hardware sold.

Hogwarts will probably have better legs than Zelda though or at least it'll be closer.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprised. The game is an absolute joy to play. I can’t put it down! Been a while since I was this hooked to something.

200w.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Already with the success of the Mario movie and the sales of Zelda, Nintendo has no excuse for not launching F-Zero for Nintendo Switch.

Dutchy

Horizon 2 wasn't selling to the 140 million install base, for most people it's a PS5 game, and it will sell as a PS5 game. Sony especially pushes its games with the whole graphic and tech angle, meaning their audience is likelier to wait for the better version of a game. And Horizon, more than God of War or GT or Spiderman, was the cross gen Sony game that REALLY benefitted from the PS5 (where the other ones are more straightforward PS5 ports).
The average consumer (99.99%) is not going to hold out on a buying a hugely anticipated title for several months/years, only to purchase it and a brand new system in order to experience it on a slightly higher resolution. Get out that gaf bubble.

Horizon games are beautiful but the gameplay is not something to write home about. They should be happy with the amount they sold. And there's definitely not some extremely nuanced underlying reasons for why it didn't sell heaps more.

leo-j

Physical sales not including digital sales which are another half of hogwart’s sales or more.

Lasha

I'm unsurprised by it's success. Online video game culture differs vastly from reality. Nintendo's IP are in a completely different league from other publishers. Nintendo's franchises are as big if not bigger than any other in media.

lukilladog

Keyword here is "boxed", so this can be taken as confirmation that it didn't outsold Hogwart's Legacy in total numbers.

Top Bottom