• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tears of the Kingdom is the biggest launch in UK this year, beating out Hogwarts Legacy, RE4, and Jedi Survivor

Gambit2483

I don't understand why people get so worked up by the success of Nintendo first party games. They are simply really good plus Nintendo just has that history of making great games over several decades now and you are seeing a similar type of enthusiasm for Sony first party the more hits they release. When you look at any top 100 games of all time it is basically Nintendo's back catalogue. They deserve it. When Harry Potty is $20 in 5 years time. TOTK will be still $70.
I think some people get "triggered" by a company that doesn't "play by the rules" (i.e. pushing for cutting edge tech, favors innovation, focuses on games for everyone instead of hardcore mature audience) seeing so much success and sales....this is especially true when their company of choice is perceived to not be as successful.

In other words, the same reason as it's always been, fanboyism.

John Wick

Oh so being around longer means you sell more, so right now if they make a Pong game it should sell 25 trillion copies, those are all flawed arguments, I compare Zelda and Horizon because they are both first party open world games on very popular system.
Except one of these games is a well known and beloved series that's been around since the 80's. It has built a huge following. But you already knew that.............fanboing at it's worst.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Except one of these games is a well known and beloved series that's been around since the 80's. It has built a huge following. But you already knew that.............fanboing at it's worst.
And Horizon is a flagship $200 million from the biggest gaming company in the world, on two of the most popular consoles of all time, seems like really even odds to me.

Yeah, the game's sales will be very front-loaded. The vast majority of people that will ever own a Switch already have one, and if you really enjoyed BotW you are likely to buy TotK in quick order. Whereas with BotW in 2017, the game was a system seller because it was the first major first-party headline title that justified buying new hardware for, and the game grew along with the Switch and helped greatly with console adoption.

In order for TotK to have a similar long tail, it would need to re-release on new hardware at some point in the future.

Last edited:

John Wick

And Horizon is a flagship $200 million from the biggest gaming company in the world, on two of the most popular consoles of all time, seems like really even odds to me.
Tencent is the biggest gaming company in the world not Sony.
You sound a bit desperate to prove that Horizon is a rival to Zelda when any idiot could tell you that it's not. Why don't you compare the first two Zelda games released to the first two Horizon games released in sales?

blacktout

Do UK sales matter in general? I've always wondered why they are highlighted vs Europe sales as a whole.

I could be wrong, but I think it's just because the turnaround time on UK sales data is so fast, meaning it's usually one of the earliest indicators we get of a game's sales performance.

Woopah

Do UK sales matter in general? I've always wondered why they are highlighted vs Europe sales as a whole.

I could be wrong, but I think it's just because the turnaround time on UK sales data is so fast, meaning it's usually one of the earliest indicators we get of a game's sales performance.
UK is the country we get the most data from in Europe (that and Spain) which is why it has more threads. We simply don't as much data as regularly from France or Germany.

Disco Dave

About 8 years ago, Nintendo were on the ropes.

Proof that great game's can increase your market share.

Who would have thought.

Top Bottom