• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

Usobuko

Banned
Bought the prestige edition day one ;)

You know what happened? Mediocre reviews. You want to know why the reviews were mediocre? You had a bunch of reviewers that didn't know anything about fighting games reviewing it and saying it was too difficult.

Common sign for some of the genres. Fighting game and Hack-and-Slash etc.

NEO0MJ

Me and mah brahs bought the game at launch and are still playing it. Game was well worth the asking price but I'm angry with it because we never play anything else now XI

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
This was the last Tekken I never actually played. Pre-ordered it, opened it and played it once. Dunno what happened. Maybe it's too similar to T5 and T6.

Same thing happened to me... I don't know just felt more of the same. Kind of tired of the 3d fighting genre. Tekken is not at fault...I m also tired of games like DOA and Soul Caliber.

Deps

Glad I gave TTT2 a chance. I used to be a big Tekken hater during the t5/t6 days and just played SF/Marvel. Now Tekken is the only thing still keeping me in gaming. I still somewhat enjoy SF/Marvel, but the games got way too stale for me. The better I became at fighting games, the less I started to enjoy marvel 3/sf4, while with Tekken it was the complete opposite.

So what platform should I go with. Ps3 or 360?

I loved TTT on PS2 so I'm willing to give this a shot a a discounted price...

Also, is this a fighter I should play with a stick?

I bought it at launch and had fun, but the game is very hard to learn and play well like a lot of people here are saying. Theres a lot of memorization for some combos and in some of them you need to be REALLY fast, something thats easier to do in SCV. Also doesnt help that the game is so ugly. Sold it a couple of weeks ago.

LowParry

So what platform should I go with. Ps3 or 360?

I loved TTT on PS2 so I'm willing to give this a shot a a discounted price...

Also, is this a fighter I should play with a stick?

I think the PS3 has the more players. Any fighter is great with an arcade stick but it all comes down to preference. Tekken can be played just as effectively on a controller or stick.

Ghazi

You should. And experience not just a great fighting game, but a game with a damn fine soundtrack.
The last Tekken I ever played was Tekken 4 on my PS2, it'll be fun to revisit it. It's $30 on Amazon so I think I will pick it up, I may even pop in the OT from time to time if I enjoy it enough.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Bought it day one, Platinum'ed it, sold it. Great game, but I just get so easily frustrated playing fighters online that by the time TTT2 came around, I realized that playing online and trying to be competitive just isn't worth the stress and frustration. And I'm sure someone is going to try to say "well, you've just got to stick with it and get better and not get frustrated when you lose" etc etc, but that's just not something I can do, as much as I hate to admit it. I've played and invested significant time into just about every fighter released this gen, and I've come to the conclusion that being competitive just isn't something I'm cut out for. And once you take the online stuff out of TTT2, there isn't a whole lot else to do. I love Ghost Mode, but even that gets boring after a while (having to reach Tekken Lord for the platinum trophy certainly didn't help there).

The biggest stumbling block for me, as far as "getting better" goes, is the ridiculous time investment required. I don't find winning online in fighters any more fun than playing a good single player game, so why should I invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game just to get to a point where I'm having just as much fun with it as I am with a game like Dark Souls or Vanquish?

So with that in mind, I've decided to just stick with stuff like GGXXAC+ and KOFXIII, since they have the most/best single-player content. Stuff I can turn on and just have a lot of fun with without having to worry about the stress of fighting real people. I'm just not the type of person who's cut out for the FGC.

Lumine

Well to be honest, it probably is the least accessible Tekken game yet. The game lacks some more singleplayer content for the more casual fighting game fan and the training mode is a little too limited. It's really a Tekken game for Tekken fans. That said, I bought it day 1 (something I rarely do these days for any game) and loved it. I defenitly urge anyone even remotely interested to give it a shot. It has lots of content and it plays great. Just don't expect to master everything instantly, its mechanics go pretty deep.

vg260

I bought it, but alas it's in my backlog probably never to be actually played. I just enjoy 2D fighters more.

Glad I gave TTT2 a chance. I used to be a big Tekken hater during the t5/t6 days and just played SF/Marvel. Now Tekken is the only thing still keeping me in gaming. I still somewhat enjoy SF/Marvel, but the games got way too stale for me. The better I became at fighting games, the less I started to enjoy marvel 3/sf4, while with Tekken it was the complete opposite.

So why did you hate tekken in the first place?

Same thing happened to me... I don't know just felt more of the same. Kind of tired of the 3d fighting genre. Tekken is not at fault...I m also tired of games like DOA and Soul Caliber.
Messages trying to convince you that it's totally different and you're wrong are inbound. Fans cannot understand that subtle changes to strategy and high level play means nothing to people who don't have the time or don't want to put in the time to play all of that out.

Dahbomb

Most people don't want to start spending a month on a game just to get to grips with the mechanics, the characters and moves. TTT2 is probably the best fighter to come out this gen, at the very least it was the best one of last year but it's still one of the most difficult fighters to get into.

.la1n

Tekken probably is one of the more complicated fighters to get a grasp of the machanics, especially for someone picking it up as their first purchase and no prior history of the franchise. I think adopting some concepts to make the game accessible to old and new players would not hurt anything.

DR2K

Banned
Lets be honest ever since SFIV came back fighting games have just done their best to be as dumb as possible and still be a fighter. Tekken stayed the same mostly, which hurt since everyones fighting game IQ hit near mental retardation levels.

Messages trying to convince you that it's totally different and you're wrong are inbound. Fans cannot understand that subtle changes to strategy and high level play means nothing to people who don't have the time or don't want to put in the time to play all of that out.

actually the OP is trying to reach out to those who didn't buy/try the game; hence the title of this thread

people that actually tried the game and then dumped it give a lot reasons on why they didn't like the game. most of them are completely understandable and it's really great to hear all of them out.

thank God that this game have the best netcode in a fighting game ever. I'm old now and such are my friends. it's hard for us to gather like we used to and play game decently without the high latency crap. that's why I couldn't play a lot of the psp port of T5 on the ps3 nor T6.

.la1n

Lets be honest ever since SFIV came back fighting games have just done their best to be as dumb as possible and still be a fighter. Tekken stayed the same mostly, which hurt since everyones fighting game IQ hit near mental retardation levels.

No reason developers can't create something capable of making both casual and hardcore fighting game fans happy, they have just chosen not to.

joeblow

I did my part - bought the PS3 version day one along wig the music DLC, and I ended up buying the digital version too since It is convenient to be able to fire it up whenever without the disc.

It's he best 3D fighter in years, but I think it needed a much larger single player adventure component to snag more casuals.

Mileena

Banned
Did my part and played for a couple months but it was just too hard and involving to learn the game. So many options for every situation and the ridiculous inputs that I will never do like iSW. Plus blocking lows is impossible. It was fun while it lasted :)

Khezu

I wanted to suppport TTT2, and honestly planned on picking it up.

Thing is, I was going to get it on Wii U for all the fun extras, but then I never bought a Wii U:(

Same boat, was going to go with the WiiU version so I could have a fun WiiU game to play, but then the WiiU kinda turned out to not be a thing I wanted, then I sorta forgot it existed for awhile.

OceanBlue

The game seemed way too overwhelming for me, and most of the 3D players I know are into Soul Calibur. I'd feel more comfortable getting into Virtua Fighter. Maybe I'll get into Tekken 7 if I feel like trying out a Tekken game.

alstein

You know what happened? Mediocre reviews. You want to know why the reviews were mediocre? You had a bunch of reviewers that didn't know anything about fighting games reviewing it and saying it was too difficult.

Not many reviewers know fighters. For Skullgirls, I remember one game journo saying that the LZ (then Reverge) folks said she was the only one who knew how to throw a fireball.

It's also hard to give a fighter the proper attention when you have 10 other projects and a diversity of genres you like.

Just look at Tom Chick's reviews of fighters to see how skewed a casual's opinion is compared to a hardcore (he loves Single-player story modes in fighters and Peacock, that's about it)

LowParry

The game seemed way too overwhelming for me, and most of the 3D players I know are into Soul Calibur. I'd feel more comfortable getting into Virtua Fighter. Maybe I'll get into Tekken 7 if I feel like trying out a Tekken game.

What? If you can get into VF, you most certainly can get into Tekken.

OceanBlue

What? If you can get into VF, you most certainly can get into Tekken.

I don't know. Maybe VF is way harder to get into than I thought it'd be. I was just giving my impressions based on some of the matches I tried to watch. TTT2 just seems more complex and there are more characters to keep track of.

Are there guides to help understand the flow of the game for people who only know how to play 2D fighters? When I try to watch TTT2 videos to see if I might enjoy the game, I have no idea what's going on.

Does the wiiu version have enhancements over the ps3/360?

Personally didn't even know it was on wiiu until this thread.

Would think about getting that version if so...not intersted really in a large online community too much. Would mainly play offline/single player

neither

Why does tekken get a bed rep here??

like yes it's complicated and rage inducing, but those seem to be the only complaints.
i've grown up watching my brothers play tekken so i've always liked it but
not that i'm that good. it's really fun playing 4 player local co op
and TT2 is truly the best tekken yet.

i wonder if namco can take away that bad taste in peoples mouths
once tekken x street fighter comes out

Got this for Wii U, at least once a week will have a good hour to 2 hour session with my mates. Really great fighter, shame about its sales.

I will feel a little bad when i decide to but it for less then $20 from a store.

i was tempted at the wii u launch but i bought zombiu, NSMB wii u and sonic all stars

sorry Namco, but dat king on off tv play will be awesome B^)

Mileena

Banned
I'm also gonna say the damage is too high, and rage is a completely terrible idea that should never have made it in a final game. It's like X factor but you don't even need to hit buttons. Less comeback mechanics, plz new fighting games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't know. Maybe VF is way harder to get into than I thought it'd be. I was just giving my impressions based on some of the matches I tried to watch. TTT2 just seems more complex and there are more characters to keep track of.

Are there guides to help understand the flow of the game for people who only know how to play 2D fighters? When I try to watch TTT2 videos to see if I might enjoy the game, I have no idea what's going on.
VF is much easier to learn than Tekken.

actually the OP is trying to reach out to those who didn't buy/try the game; hence the title of this thread

people that actually tried the game and then dumped it give a lot reasons on why they didn't like the game. most of them are completely understandable and it's really great to hear all of them out.

thank God that this game have the best netcode in a fighting game ever. I'm old now and such are my friends. it's hard for us to gather like we used to and play game decently without the high latency crap. that's why I couldn't play a lot of the psp port of T5 on the ps3 nor T6.
What are you talking about, who are you talking to? The OP is what it is, doesn't say anything about the responses I've seen.

VariantX

Does the wiiu version have enhancements over the ps3/360?

Personally didn't even know it was on wiiu until this thread.

Would think about getting that version if so...not intersted really in a large online community too much. Would mainly play offline/single player

has tekken ball mode exclusive, some other mode involving power ups popping up on screen during the battle, nintendo themed costumes, and I think some touchpad functionality on customizing characters.

Top Bottom