• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiredhand

Academy does seem to get it wrong quite often when it comes to best picture looking at the history, general consensus and which films are remembered. But sometimes they do get it right and it can be argued that some of those times are.

Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Some may say Jaws, but not really typical Oscar movie), Unforgiven, The Silence of the Lambs (Personally close one with JFK), Schindler's List, No Country for Old Men (Even though some like myself prefer There Will be Blood, but I still think No Country is the best Oscar winner in the past 10 years.)
I actually think OFOTCN is the weakest of the nominated films that year. Then again 1976 had maybe the best "best picture" category ever.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Barry Lyndon
Dog Day Afternoon
Jaws
Nashville

For me OFOTCN is only a 9/10 whereas everything else listed is a straight up 10/10.

Mad Max basically won all the tech awards, sans 2, which makes sense.

I didn't think it had a legit shot at Best Picture, even though I loved the movie. Best Director probably should've been Miller, but he probably gives exactly zero fucks about it since he already has one Oscar and got a SHITLOAD of them for his crew.

I actually think OFOTCN is the weakest of the nominated films that year. Then again 1976 had maybe the best "best picture" category ever.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Barry Lyndon
Dog Day Afternoon
Jaws
Nashville

For me OFOTCN is only a 9/10 whereas everything else listed is a straight up 10/10.

That's a valid opinion for sure and I actually thought about the great lineup in 76's Oscars myself. I just chose some universally loved movies without thinking too much and Cuckoo's Nest usually ranks fairly high on most best movies of all time list but so does Jaws and Barry Lyndon as well. Barry Lyndon has maybe always been one of the less known and loved Kubrick classics, but it really seems to have gained a much respect and popularity in the past few years. Cuckoo's Nest also has maybe the most legendary performance by Nicholson.

I just chose some films that people don't usually consider a total failure by Academy like not giving the Oscar to Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now or Raging Bull and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom