• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

Just saw Leo's speech. I thought it was a pretty great one, very gracious.
I didn't like the Revenant, I thought his performance was just so so compare to what he's done before. It's a shame he had to win for this movie but I'm glad he got one. He's had a pretty great body of work and has definitely deserved to win in the past. So im happy for him.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?

It's funny how he won for H8ful 8. When it was the least work he's probably done.
It was also the most unremarkable of all of this work.

Have the oscar's ever meant anything.

brau

Yesterday as i tried to stream from ABC websites i kept getting this issue.

7oITJn6.png

I missed the oscars because of it haha. I think a mod even brought it up and he is in the same area as i am. Portland OR. I can't even watch Leos speech from here. :(

GhaleonEB

Yesterday as i tried to stream from ABC websites i kept getting this issue.

7oITJn6.png

I missed the oscars because of it haha. I think a mod even brought it up and he is in the same area as i am. Portland OR. I can't even watch Leos speech from here. :(

Yup, that was me. I was like, WTF. I missed the entirety of the show, though I've now seen Leo's (classy) speech.

brau

Yup, that was me. I was like, WTF. I missed the entirety of the show, though I've now seen Leo's (classy) speech.

Yep.. i missed it too. I gues OR is not part of the US now.

I'll look for Leos speech. I felt like i missed out on a good show. Specially with Chris Rock and other comments throughout the show. What a time to miss the Oscars haha.

Cess007

That was the costume designer for Mad Max: Fury Road, walking down the aisle to get on stage to accept her award. I guess Iñárritu was starting to feel salty at that point with Fury Road winning in a lot of categories that The Revenant was also nominated for.

Ah.. for some reason i thought there was more to the story. That look from her and his stare down was pretty great.

I found that gif (and people reaction) funny cause, just after the gif ends, you can see Iñarritu looking at the back of her jacket (had the Mad Max logo) and pointing it to the people besides him and smiling on good nature.

His stare is hilarious tho

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I've said it before but I think Doubt was better than Spotlight on the subject and it didn't even receive any nominations the year it was eligible. Great performances from Streep, Philip Seymor Hoffman and Amy Adams.

Doubt and Spotlight arent dealing the issue from the same angle or on the same scale. Spotlight is getting criticized for purposefully keeping itself very grounded for a non documentary.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
How come Morricones Oscar history looks like this:

Code:
Year	Director	   Project	    Category	         Result
1979	Terrence Malick	   Days of Heaven   Best Original Score	 Nominated
1986	Roland Joffé	   The Mission	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
1987	Brian De Palma	   The Untouchables Best Original Score	 Nominated
1991	Barry Levinson	   Bugsy	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2000	Giuseppe Tornatore Malèna	    Best Original Score	 Nominated
2007	Honorary Academy Award	                                 Won
2016	Quentin Tarantino The Hateful Eight Best Original Score	 Won

where are all his Westerns? The Thing? Once upon a Time in America?

lol at thinking he'd getting nommed for The Thing. Critics shat on that movie and one of the things they pointed to the most was the "weak" score. The Thing is one of the ultimate cases for being saved by a cult fanbase which pushed the movie to its rightful place.

What John Carpenter used of Morricone's soundtrack for The Thing was literally just the the synth version of the title theme and that's it. There's likely more music from The Thing by Morricone in the Hateful 8 than in the thing itself, ironically enough

“[Morricone said] ‘I wrote a whole orchestra score [for The Thing], and I wrote a whole synthesizer score, because I knew that was what [John Carpenter] was used to’,” explained Tarantino, paraphrasing the composer. “’I gave him everything, and the only thing [Carpenter] used in the entire movie was the synthesizer main title [track].’ So basically, if you stay away from the synthesizer main title, all that music that’s on the soundtrack album has never been used in a movie ever. So, [Morricone] goes, ‘What I can do is I’ll write the theme… and with the other Thing pieces of music, now you have your original score that’s never been used in a movie before.’”

Morricone was originally set to compose a 10-minute theme track but ended up writing 25 minutes of new music for the film. “And so with that,” Tarantino said, “and the unused Thing portions that I used, [I’ve got] my original score.”

Not even the best kid actor this year.

Who would you rank before him?

There actually aren't that many good child performances in the history of cinema. Off the top of my head I can think the following: Dicaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Natalie Portman in Leon, Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun, The Young Christy Brown in My Left Foot, Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense, The cast of Stand by Me, The kids in Fanny and Alexander, Freddie Highmore Finding Neverland, The kids from The Exorcist and The Shining, The kids from Tree of Life and To Kill a Mockingbird and the boy from The Road.

I would rank Jacob Tremblay very high on a list of those I mentioned. I Was actually blown away how good he was. Completely believable and a perfect match for Brie Larsen.

Morricone is probably my all time favorite movie composer and I completely forgot he didn't have an Oscar before this. Really took me by a surprise considering how many classic scores he has. Also can't believe Cinema Paradiso , Once Upon a Time in the West and Good Bad and Ugly weren't nominated. Well he was in a good company considering Kubrick, Hitchcock, Bergman, Kurosawa and many others never won an Oscar.

Vice

Who would you rank before him?

There actually aren't that many good child performances in the history of cinema. Off the top of my head I can think the following: Dicaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Natalie Portman in Leon, Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun, The Young Christy Brown in My Left Foot, Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense, The cast of Stand by Me, The kids in Fanny and Alexander, Freddie Highmore Finding Neverland, The kids from The Exorcist and The Shining, The kids from Tree of Life and To Kill a Mockingbird and the boy from The Road.

I would rank Jacob Tremblay very high on a list of those I mentioned. I Was actually blown away how good he was. Completely believable and a perfect match for Brie Larsen.
He would probably put Abdraham Attah, from Beast of No Nation, up there.

Parch

A really good performance by both Tremblay and Attah this year.

Probably the most famous child actor would be Shirley Temple. A lot of that was song and dance, but still, she was something special. It's even more impressive that she started when she was 5 years old. Even that young, she "got it" and was able to take direction like a pro. There have been very few child actors capable of playing a lead role at the age of 5.

He would probably put Abdraham Attah, from Beast of No Nation, up there.

Ah, forgot about that one. Haven't seen it yet but I've heard lots of good things. Should check it out.

A really good performance by both Tremblay and Attah this year.

Probably the most famous child actor would be Shirley Temple. A lot of that was song and dance, but still, she was something special. It's even more impressive that she started when she was 5 years old. Even that young, she "got it" and was able to take direction like a pro. There have been very few child actors capable of playing a lead role at the age of 5.

Yes of course Shirley Temple. I've seen some of her movies but I don't think I'd really consider many of them a personal favorite. But she should also be taken into consideration and many others I forgot as well. I was listing above some films I like that came to mind with some good child performances.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
lol at thinking he'd getting nommed for The Thing. Critics shat on that movie and one of the things they pointed to the most was the "weak" score. The Thing is one of the ultimate cases for being saved by a cult fanbase which pushed the movie to its rightful place.
The music in hateful eight is the music he made for The Thing.

This is the crazy part.

Aurongel

I'm surprised there's not more talk about Sam Smith's speech, that was some genuinely heartfelt and historic shit right there.

I'm surprised there's not more talk about Sam Smith's speech, that was some genuinely heartfelt and historic shit right there.
Smith isn't the first gay person to win an Oscar, he ain't even the second, or even the first gay person to win one for a song. Also Smith built his image for trying to distance himself from being seen for his sexuality, so him bringing it up in his speech seemed a bit strange.

Ridley327

You know, the weird part about that gif is that I'm pretty sure that's Tom Hardy that's sitting behind Lou Gosset. Maybe Iñárritu slipped him a twenty before the ceremony started to join in on that solidarity for The Revenant.

I missed the Oscars (with sound) and I need some serious context for this. Like, I know she's wearing a leather jacket, but, really? No one's clapping? People just burning a hole through her with their eyes? What the hell?
Film snobbery. How DARE this crazy woman won for the stupid hour long action scene called fury road over Brooklyn?! HARRUMPH! I believe a rewatch of The Artist is in order to wash away this modernist, post apocalypse nonsense kids are into these days.

FTF

I missed the Oscars (with sound) and I need some serious context for this. Like, I know she's wearing a leather jacket, but, really? No one's clapping? People just burning a hole through her with their eyes? What the hell?

I think people were clapping before that but she took a little while to get to that point from where she started. It's an awkward looking clip but there was clapping from what I heard.

I think partly Innaritu was probably upset that if MM won costumes, it was going to sweep the design awards. Still shitty to have such a poopy face about it though.

Ah, forgot about that one. Haven't seen it yet but I've heard lots of good things. Should check it out.

Yeah. Attah was my favorite out of the two but both were great. Hopefully they can continue working on high quality films instead of going straight into the garbage dump.

Garlador

shade-oscars.gif

Stay classy Alejandro.

And now, 10 Theories from The Guardian:

Ten unproven and purely speculative theories

1. The bejeweled skull on Beavan’s leather jacket was modeled after Iñárritu’s dead grandmother.

2. Ten seconds before her name was announced, Beavan was seen strangling a homeless man for his loose change with her scarf.

3. Jenny Beavan is actually Donald Trump doing a weird Mrs Doubtfire turn.

4. The audience had heard a draft of Beavan’s controversial victory speech, and realized that they couldn’t possibly be seen condoning a message as aggressive as “it’s nice when people are nice to each other”.

5. They all thought that this was the ceremony where they had to clap people of colour, not women.

6. It was a simple case of jealously. Tom McCarthy was still bitter that Beavan had refused to dress Mark Ruffalo’s Spotlight character in a silver body armour made entirely of human pelvises.

7. They were reminded of the old nursery rhyme “If you publicly clap a woman named Beavan, none of your children will go to heaven”.

8. The men knew that their significant others were in attendance, and they realized that clapping Beavan would give away the torrid, decades-long affair that they’ve all been having with her.

9. This was approximately the 15th successive award won by Mad Max: Fury Road, and the directors were starting to worry that people might have preferred a fun film about some cool cars to their interminably worthy and hard-to-watch meditations on endless constant hardship.

10. The Oscars are really long and incredibly boring, and clapping Beavan would have distracted these people from the near-impossible task of remaining awake until the show reached its conclusion.

Innaritu just won bad blood with me, spanish speaker or not that stink eye is ridiculous lol. If I had been sitting there in a place filled with a bunch of plastic people in fancy dresses and saw that badass walk down with a bedazzled leather jacket I would have smiled and clapped even harder.

Film snobbery. How DARE this crazy woman won for the stupid hour long action scene called fury road over Brooklyn?! HARRUMPH! I believe a rewatch of The Artist is in order to wash away this modernist, post apocalypse nonsense kids are into these days.

Fury Road is the kind of film in its purest form that snobs love.

denx

I was holding out hope that George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road) and Drew Goddard (The Martian) could pull the upsets for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, but oh well.

Happy to see Bear Story winning Best Animated Short Film. You all ought to see that short asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom