• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
If Fury Road had gotten best picture, you could've made a compelling case to me that the Oscars were still relevant.

But whatever. Good that it got the recognition it did. Still won't see Spotlight anytime soon, though

denx

If Fury Road had gotten best picture, you could've made a compelling case to me that the Oscars were still relevant.

But whatever. Good that it got the recognition it did. Still won't see Spotlight anytime soon, though

Spotlight is good tho.

Tesseract

Banned

yup, and that beavan snub

DEAD TO ME

duckroll

"I care so little about this totally irrelevant awards show that I will post in two different threads about how if my favorite movie had won Best Picture at this totally irrelevant awards show which I totally don't care about, it would suddenly have become relevant and I would care about it. Hey did I mention how little I care about this irrelevant awards show and how I'm totally not going to bother watching the movie which I know nothing about which had the audacity to beat my favorite movie for Best Picture?"

That's how some people sound right now. :)

The Mad Max fanboyism around here is hilarious.

It's an entertaining movie that will stand the test of time unlike many other movies whose sole purpose was oscar bait. And it also happens to have won 6 technical awards, so I'm happy.

I'll watch Grand Budapest Hotel and this for years to come. Fantastic movies. I'm starting to realize that maybe I'll stick with movies that sweep technical awards.

Not

Banned
"I care so little about this totally irrelevant awards show that I will post in two different threads about how if my favorite movie had won Best Picture at this totally irrelevant awards show which I totally don't care about, it would suddenly have become relevant and I would care about it. Hey did I mention how little I care about this irrelevant awards show and how I'm totally not going to bother watching the movie which I know nothing about which had the audacity to beat my favorite movie for Best Picture?"

Yeah, ok, I suck.

I'm trying to reconcile the fact that I really do care about and invest in pointless entertainment-related shit with my passionate distaste for exclusionary representation in films and TV. What you're witnessing is the pathetic and laughable emotional fallout from that quandary.

So... I admit it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
shade-oscars.gif

Stay classy Alejandro.

I hate how this is becoming a thing.

In the full clip he starts clapping when she's on the sets for the stage. He wasn't giving her a nasty look at all. Hell, in that gif you can see only 2 people clapping out of probably +20 plus. They all started clapping once she got closer to the stage.

Note to self: If ever at the Oscars never stop smiling and clapping otherwise Twitter will accuse me of being a sexist asshole.

Not

Banned
Hey, I would have loved to see Mad Max win Best Picture or Best Director too!

I probably will like Spotlight, even with the premise being about people in Boston discovering a scandal within the Irish Catholic church.

I'm just not excited about it. More of the same.

I hate how this is becoming a thing.

In the full clip he starts clapping when she's on the sets for the stage. He wasn't giving her a nasty look at all. Hell, in that gif you can see only 2 people clapping out of probably +20 plus. They all started clapping once she got closer to the stage.

Note to self: If ever at the Oscars never stop smiling and clapping otherwise Twitter will accuse me of being a sexist asshole.

He just looks mad or bored, maybe he wasn't and we will never know. I don't assume I know him and know what he was thinking, he was however caught with his arms crosed flat out pouting when his movie lost an award. If that isn't enough for people on the internet to speculate or joke that he's a sore loser well I don't know what is.

Look at Tom McCarthy, he's right behind him and he isn't clapping as well but he has a smile on his face being happy and shit. At the very least you know seeing that glorious jacket makes him want to listen to some Van Halen. That and being in The Wire mean people will never be able to mock him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He just looks mad or bored, maybe he wasn't and we will never know. I don't assume I know him and know what he was thinking, he was however caught with his arms crosed flat out pouting when his movie lost an award. If that isn't enough for people on the internet to speculate or joke that he's a sore loser well I don't know what is.

Look at Tom McCarthy, he's right behind him and he isn't clapping as well but he has a smile on his face being happy and shit. At the very least you know seeing that glorious jacket makes him want to listen to some Van Halen. That and being in The Wire mean people will never be able to mock him.

Just poking fun at him looking mad that he didn't win is fine, even if it's incorrect, it's not too bad. What I dislike is people accusing him of being sexist because a woman won the award which is what I was seeing on the Twitter. I can't find the tweet anymore since it was either deleted or un-retweeted but it said something along the lines of, "sad to see men not clapping when a woman wins an award". Followed by tons of people saying how they're sexist and yada yada yada, most of it directed towards Iñárritu.

Just poking fun at him looking mad that he didn't win is fine, even if it's incorrect, it's not too bad. What I dislike is people accusing him of being sexist because a woman won the award which is what I was seeing on the Twitter. I can't find the tweet anymore since it was either deleted or un-retweeted but it said something along the lines of, "sad to see men not clapping when a woman wins an award". Followed by tons of people saying how they're sexist and yada yada yada, most of it directed towards Iñárritu.

Really? This is the first time I'm hearing about it and I don't get any sexist vibes from him. This is particularly pointless because in the same category that Jenny won, Jacqueline West was nominated for The Revenant. I bet my left nut Iñarritu would clap her win with way more enthusiasm.

I think it's very much possible he's a bad loser, but I never saw anything that indicated sexism.

Yagharek

Anyone else thinking that the Academy is probably going to overcompensate for next year and just give a token award to a leading Black male? From the looks of it, Don Cheadle's biopic on Miles Davis looks alright. He's most likely already a lock for 2016 awards for best leading male.

If you can expect anything from the academy it's probably hypocrisy or something that papers over their collective failings. I mean, look at Spotlight. Fantastic to see a film about uncovering child abuse by the Catholic Church get more recognition. But they are still covering for Roman Polanski.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
shade-oscars.gif

Stay classy Alejandro.

Bird Man was atrocious, and I couldn't finish watching the revenant.
Everyone in his movies overacts. And the camera work is dizzying with horrible zoom ups on everyone's face. It's like watching a whole movie shot with a fish lens.

Bird Man was atrocious, and I couldn't finish watching the revenant.
Everyone in his movies overacts. And the camera work is dizzying with horrible zoom ups on everyone's face. It's like watching a whole movie shot with a fish lens.

Jesus. I checked this thread to see if FilmGAF is cool.

Y'all are dorks with icky taste.

Peace

Fury Road was not deserving for best picture. I might hear someone make case for best director but not best picture. Would be unheard of a film winning best picture while not even being nominated for screenplay or a single acting award. Usually winners of best picture have some substance and meaning and while Fury Road was technically masterful it wasn't very deep, it was basically one long well made action sequence. In my opinion Spotlight is actually the best film of the year so far, but I've yet to see The Revenant and Son of Saul which I'm really looking forward to.

In my opinion If any recent genre film would've been deserving for best picture a case could be made for The Dark Knight. It elevated the usually crappy comic book genre and changed the Oscar system for the best picture. Also it featured some great performances and mainly the Oscar winning Heath Ledger which still remains one of the best performances this century and it actually concentrated on the characters. But of course a film that is based on a comic book could never win, no matter how great a film.

It really is. I mean like I said in my previous post it's technically masterful and a very well made action film, but personally nothing really memorable. I saw it few months ago and barely remember anything substantial from it. Just some action scenes here and there. It was fun and thrilling to watch but personally doesn't make my top 10 movies of the year. But maybe I'll watch it again some day and like it more, but I don't get how some people say it was robbed and so on, it did better than expected in Oscars and won the awards it deserved. I mean if a classics films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars didn't win best picture there's no way Mad Max should

Oersted

Fury Road was not deserving for best picture. I might hear someone make case for best director but not best picture. Would be unheard of a film winning best picture while not even being nominated for screenplay or a single acting award. Usually winners of best picture have some substance and meaning and while Fury Road was technically masterful it wasn't very deep, it was basically one long well made action sequence. In my opinion Spotlight is actually the best film of the year so far, but I've yet to see The Revenant and Son of Saul which I'm really looking forward to.

In my opinion If any recent genre film would've been deserving for best picture a case could be made for The Dark Knight. It elevated the usually crappy comic book genre and changed the Oscar system for the best picture. Also it featured some great performances and mainly the Oscar winning Heath Ledger which still remains one of the best performances this century and it actually concentrated on the characters. But of course a film that is based on a comic book could never win, no matter how great a film.

Saying Mad Max isn't deep is shortsighted.
Why do you say Spotlight is so far best movie of the year? 2015 is over and you haven't seen the best ones.

What kind of genre do you refer to? Any film belongs to a genre and the Oscar dominating genre is drama.

Saying Mad Max isn't deep is shortsighted.
Why do you say Spotlight is so far best movie of the year?

What kind of genre do you refer to? Any film belongs to a genre and the Oscar dominating genre is drama.

Well it can be said that Mad Max has some insights and references to our modern culture but I still wouldn't personally call it deep. I'm also not saying a film has to be deep to be great. I mean Raiders of the Lost Ark is among my all time favorites and it's not especially deep. But I seriously have nothing against Mad Max, I just personally didn't have much of emotional or intellectual connection with the film. It's a fun and intense film, but I'm not sure if it's the classic some people are making it out to be. Maybe it will be and I've nothing against it. Some people still go crazy over The Matrix and I had pretty much same reaction to it as for Mad Max.

I was exactly referring to a genre that is not the "typical Oscar drama". Like Birdman which had plenty of comedy elements and satire, No Country for Old Men with some crime thriller elements and The Silence of the Lambs a thriller with some horror elements. Also Rebecca came to mind that has some suspense and mystery elements and it's not typical drama. I'm sure there were some others as well.

2015 is over and you haven't seen the best ones.

This was a bit strange comment and I don't quite understand what you mean. So you're supposed to see films only during the year of their release. That can get bit tricky I imagine. I mean I often find some little films after years of their release and they might make my top 10 of their respective years.

EDIT: Thought of The Apartment and American Beauty Oscar winners which are also heavy on comedy and satire. But in case of Mad Max it's purely an action film and they almost never win the best picture, even sometimes when they would deserve to.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I should tweet this to Narag.

Well it can be said that Mad Max has some insights and references to our modern culture but I still wouldn't personally call it deep. I'm also not saying a film has to be deep to be great. I mean Raiders of the Lost Ark is among my all time favorites and it's not especially deep. But I seriously have nothing against Mad Max, I just personally didn't have much of emotional or intellectual connection with the film. It's a fun and intense film, but I'm not sure if it's the classic some people are making it out to be. Maybe it will be and I've nothing against it. Some people still go crazy over The Matrix and I had pretty much same reaction to it as for Mad Max.

I was exactly referring to a genre that is not the "typical Oscar drama". Like Birdman which had plenty of comedy elements and satire, No Country for Old Men with some crime thriller elements and The Silence of the Lambs a thriller with some horror elements. Also Rebecca came to mind that has some suspense and mystery elements and it's not typical drama. I'm sure there were some others as well.
I guess the question is what you are thinking about when you say "Best Film". Because since Mad Max won all the technical awards, you can quite literally say that technically it's the best film of the year - as agreed on by the various guilds that vote on the technical awards.

samn

watched Spotlight last night.

Good movie but I find it hard to follow all the plot points and it never really engrossed me. Same with All The President's Men. I'd probably enjoy a book/novel more as I could follow all the names and events without losing track of what's happening.

Revolver

Who would you rank before him?

There actually aren't that many good child performances in the history of cinema. Off the top of my head I can think the following: Dicaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Natalie Portman in Leon, Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun, The Young Christy Brown in My Left Foot, Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense, The cast of Stand by Me, The kids in Fanny and Alexander, Freddie Highmore Finding Neverland, The kids from The Exorcist and The Shining, The kids from Tree of Life and To Kill a Mockingbird and the boy from The Road.

I would rank Jacob Tremblay very high on a list of those I mentioned. I Was actually blown away how good he was. Completely believable and a perfect match for Brie Larsen.

Don't forget Tatum O'Neal for Paper Moon. She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the age of 9 or 10. I think to this day she's still the youngest ever Oscar winner.

It's a shame Tremblay didn't get a nom. As great as Brie was, he really carried that film.

Parch

It's a shame Tremblay didn't get a nom. As great as Brie was, he really carried that film.
I think a lot of credit should go to Lenny Abrahamson as well. If Miller wasn't going to win best director, then Abrahamson should have.

Room is a subject matter without much history. How many people would be familiar with long term abduction? To not only direct this, but to get such a good performance out of a little kid was exceptional.

Tremblay should have been nominated. Abrahamson should have won.

Revolver

I think a lot of credit should go to Lenny Abrahamson as well. If Miller wasn't going to win best director, then Abrahamson should have.

Yep. If it wasn't going to be Miller, I hoped Abrahamson would sneak in and take it. Really interested to see what he does next. After Frank and Room he's definitely got my attention.

Oersted

This was a bit strange comment and I don't quite understand what you mean. So you're supposed to see films only during the year of their release. That can get bit tricky I imagine. I mean I often find some little films after years of their release and they might make my top 10 of their respective years.

EDIT: Thought of The Apartment and American Beauty Oscar winners which are also heavy on comedy and satire. But in case of Mad Max it's purely an action film and they almost never win the best picture, even sometimes when they would deserve to.

That wasn't clearly formulated.

Another phrasing problem. It read like either is Spotlight the best of year 2016, in which it was not released in or 2015, which is over. But you meant that based on movies you watched in 2016, not based on their release date. Which is a little bit odd to say giving how old the year is, but hey^^

Don't forget Tatum O'Neal for Paper Moon. She won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress at the age of 9 or 10. I think to this day she's still the youngest ever Oscar winner.

Good call, can't believe I forgot her. I think she was 10 at the time. Really should see the movie again since its been ages and barely remember anything about it.

I also agree that Trembley really carried the film and I thought he and Brie had a great chemistry together.

That wasn't clearly formulated.

Another phrasing problem. It read like either is Spotlight the best of year 2016, in which it was not released in or 2015, which is over. But you meant that based on movies you watched in 2016, not based on their release date. Which is a little bit odd to say giving how old the year is, but hey^^

I agree I could have stated it clearer, but I assumed it was quite obvious since I was referring to movies from 2015 in the text. But what I meant was that I've now seen 42 movies from last year (2015) and Spotlight is my favorite out of those. My list might change later when I finally see The Revenant, Son of Saul and some other movies I'm still looking forward to.

Fevaweva

The hoops Mad Max fanboys will jump through to twist the film into seeming like a Best Picture winner is entertaining and not a little worrying.

I mean, yes genre films have won in the past (just look at Avatar and Lord of the Rings) but they are anomalies in an otherwise very Serious Drama-focused set of awards.

Saying that, I would've loved to have seen it win.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't see what Mad Max lacks that, say, The Artist or Chicago has. I would say Gladiator but that was 16 years ago. Anyway, not every winner is King's Speech.

It's an amazing movie, probably the best of the year. But, let's not pretend that the Academy gives the award to the best movie of the year.

Thing is, Spotlight is a fine film. It's no Crash.

The hoops Mad Max fanboys will jump through to twist the film into seeming like a Best Picture winner is entertaining and not a little worrying.

I mean, yes genre films have won in the past (just look at Avatar and Lord of the Rings) but they are anomalies in an otherwise very Serious Drama-focused set of awards.

Some mediocre films have won best picture Oscar, but luckily Avatar wasn't one of them. The Hurt Locker won that year best picture and director.

Avatar did win cinematography, visual effects and some third one.

It's an amazing movie, probably the best of the year. But, let's not pretend that the Academy gives the award to the best movie of the year.

Thing is, Spotlight is a fine film. It's no Crash.

Academy does seem to get it wrong quite often when it comes to best picture looking at the history, general consensus and which films are remembered. But sometimes they do get it right and it can be argued that some of those times are.

Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Some may say Jaws, but not really typical Oscar movie), Unforgiven, The Silence of the Lambs (Personally close one with JFK), Schindler's List, No Country for Old Men (Even though some like myself prefer There Will be Blood, but I still think No Country is the best Oscar winner in the past 10 years.)

rashbeep

Banned

Is this the kind of attitude FR fans have on here? Good grief

denx

Academy does seem to get it wrong quite often when it comes to best picture looking at the history, general consensus and which films are remembered. But sometimes they do get it right and it can be argued that some of those times are.

Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Some may say Jaws, but not really typical Oscar movie), Unforgiven, The Silence of the Lambs (Personally close one with JFK), Schindler's List, No Country for Old Men (Even though some like myself prefer There Will be Blood, but I still think No Country is the best Oscar winner in the past 10 years.)

I'm gonna be totally honest: I still don't get what the fuss about No Country For Old Men is about. I watched that movie twice and both times I was bored out of my mind. Perhaps watching it now would change my perspective on it, but it's not something I would do anytime soon considering my experience with the movie before.

There Will Be Blood is great though, that movie got me hooked from beginning to end.

Oersted

You do notice that Drama is a genre, right?

I'm gonna be totally honest: I still don't get what the fuss about No Country For Old Men is about. I watched that movie twice and both times I was bored out of my mind. Perhaps watching it now would change my perspective on it, but it's not something I would do anytime soon considering my experience with the movie before.

There Will Be Blood is great though, that movie got me hooked from beginning to end.

I personally love both and they're both in my top 10 movies of the century so far. There Will Be Blood as #3 and No Country as #10. So I also prefer TWBB and I'd rank the performance by Day Lewis among my all time favorites.

In my opinion No Country is a perfect mix of strong storytelling, great performances, intense action and thoughtful script with some interesting philosophical dialogue. I think the movie shows understanding about the times we live in and manages to be both surprising and melancholy experience. The film has also some great characters like Anton Chigurh and The Sheriff. But I also do understand that the movie is not everyone's cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom