• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Act Man - The Decline of Xbox

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Xbox used to be a magical platform, yet ever since the Xbox One Reveal in 2013, the console has struggled to find it’s lost identity. Today we are looking back at the history of the Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and how Microsoft needs to change their priorities if they want to win the next console war with the Xbox Series X. I’ll also discuss how the Xbox has declined as a console.

_____TIME STAMPS_____ 0:00 - Introduction 2:57 - Original Xbox Was Dope 5:26 - Xbox 360 Was Super Dope 7:01 - Xbox One: The Day of Reckoning 10:33 - What Happened? 15:10 - Competition & More 17:20 - User Experience, Lack of Focus 18:59 Emphasis on Technology 20:08 - Conclusion

Vawn

Banned
The original Xbox was never very popular. The 360 stormed ahead with a year head-start, but really lost a ton of traction after RROD and when the exclusives dried up a few years in. Xbox One never really got going and was starved for games.

I guess I'm saying I don't know if Xbox was ever high enough to warrant a "decline of" story.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean I had the Xbox one x for over 5 days and I just went back to my PS4 pro. I think gamepass is overrated. You can say good value but it’s subjective. I’ll be sticking to my 9tflops ps5 next gen
You mean like games on there are overrated, what does this even mean? Why buying X1X if you are not interested in game line-up? Besides, I hope you played at least FH4, sadly no FH3 which is probably even better. I personally like Xbox ecosystem more and my PS4 Pro...it's not used very often, but that does not make a bad console. It's just is not my "daily driver" and that's fine. But I would not have it, if I would not be interested in exlusive games.

The original Xbox was never very popular. The 360 stormed ahead with a year head-start, but really lost a ton of traction after RROD and when the exclusives dried up a few years in. Xbox One never really got going and was starved for games.

I guess I'm saying I don't know if Xbox was ever high enough to warrant a "decline of" story.

Quality and sales are different metrics with some crossover in instances, but not always. However you already know this.

You just come into any Xbox-related thread to let people know you don't like the platform because you mistake everyone else for having as short an attention span as yourself. It's almost as bad as longdi's trolling posts aimed at PS/Sony fans.

It's embarrassing and pretty much validates everything I was saying about fanboys.

Night.Ninja

Banned
giphy.gif

This forum is starting to get ridiculous

Last edited:
You mean like games on there are overrated, what does this even mean? Why buying X1X if you are not interested in game line-up? Besides, I hope you played at least FH4, sadly no FH3 which is probably even better. I personally like Xbox ecosystem more and my PS4 Pro...it's not used very often, but that does not make a bad console. It's just is not my "daily driver" and that's fine. But I would not have it, if I would not be interested in exlusive games.

It’s great value for someone who doesn’t already have a games library but at this stage my PS4 library has more games than game pass. So it’s why I said subjective. I think it’s going to be an hard sell for people like me who are heavily invested in the PlayStation eco system.

Last edited:

M1chl

I suppose for me it’s overrated considering

It’s

It’s great value for someone who doesn’t already have a games library but at this stage my PS4 library has more games than game pass. So it’s why I said subjective. I think it’s going to be an hard sell for people like me who are heavily invested in the PlayStation eco system.
Well that one I understand. I was heavily invested to Xbox 360. Bought a PS4 for obvious reasons, then FH2 give me nightmares, that I cannot play it (it's a long story, why I like the series so much), so I bought it and well then BC came in and I like XB1 way more and it was even hard for me to buy the better versions of multiplat games on PS4. Human brain sucks in these situations. But at least I will admit that's all on me. Nothing to do with Sony.

Last edited:

GHG

Nah the the first couple of years of the 360 generation were amazing, some of the best times you could ever have on a console. It all felt new, modern and cohesive while the onslaught of great games was relentless. They really fucked the job after that though and haven't recovered since.

The "highs" of the Xbox platform were very high but the lows (this gen) are as bad as anything I can remember.

Last edited:
Well that one I understand. I was heavily invested to Xbox 360. Bought a PS4 for obvious reasons, then FH2 give me nightmares, that I cannot play it (it's a long story, why I like the series so much), so I bought it and well then BC came in and I like XB1 way more and it was even hard for me to buy the better versions of multiplat games on PS4. Human brain sucks in these situations. But at least I will admit that's all on me. Nothing to do with Sony.
Plus with MS commitment to PC I’ll just pick up the great exclusives on there. Don’t get me wrong gamepass is amazing value to newcomers or those on a budget. But at this stage you need to convince gamers already invested in the PS4 eco system and convince them why the SX is worth investing in. Xbox have a good shot if Sony mess up. But time will tell.

That said I don’t agree with the video. Xbox have a great opportunity this gen considering arrogant Sony is back.

Last edited:

M1chl

Plus with MS commitment to PC I’ll just pick up the great exclusives on there. Don’t get me wrong gamepass is amazing value to newcomers or those on a budget. But at this stage you need to convince gamers already invested in the PS4 eco system and convince them why the SX is worth investing in. Xbox have a good shot if Sony mess up. But time will tell.

That said I don’t agree with the video. Xbox have a great opportunity this gem considering arrogant Sony is back.
I am not sure if that's only good value for newcomers, I am not a newcomer and it brings a lot of value to me too. I just bought Control last year and that's about it. Or maybe more games, I don't know now, because it was a pretty rough year. But that's what I remember, everything else I got from GP.

The special factor with Xbox for me was always Xbox Live. It has shit on PSN ever since it was introduced. And as someone who never cared for most of what either side offered, the lack of first party exclusives versus PS4 never bothered me.

But I gotta ask how 360 was “super dope” or whatever. It was plagued early on by RRoD. The last few years were a joke with almost nothing from MS but Halo, Gears, and Forza. They abandoned core gamers to chase after the Kinect fad and it sucked. I’d say the 360 was a good console but I’d rate the Xbone and OG Xbox above it.

Wow was Mattrick really gone before the console even launched? Seems like forever ago.

Vawn

Banned
Nah the the first couple of years of the 360 generation were amazing, some of the best times you could ever have on a console. It all felt new, modern and cohesive while the onslaught of great games was relentless. They really fucked the job after that though and haven't recovered since.

The "highs" of the Xbox platform were very high but the lows (this gen) are as bad as anything I can remember.

I don't disagree, I loved 360 those first couple years. I guess my point, that was such a short period of time. Those 2 to 3 years seem to be the outlier - not the other 16-17 more down years.

But..... ain't this video like, 7 years too late?? Xbox got all the momentum going on right now. Z fuck even is dis?
What momentum? all they have are tweets and interviews... the FF VII demo is better than any game released on the xbox one over all its lifetime!

My story with the xbox systems:
OG - this machine was pretty amazing, loved many games on it (however I was never a fan of Halo, especially on consoles)
360 - never got one, by the time I had a PS3 the whole RRoD issue was well known, so as a responsible adult I got the PS3 (mainly for media at first, as I was more of a PC gamer at this point in my life), however the indie games on it, and a couple more I can't bother to recall, picked my interest enough that I cane close a couple of times, the machine had a good reputation. I even told some people they should get one, especially if they planned on playing online.
One - Never even thought about it as a serious contender to the PS4, never recommended it to a friend/family, etc.

It's hard to claim real momentum when you come off of such a disappointment and never did anything important to recover (make amazing games, you will barely need any hardware at all to convince people to buy your machine)... sony did screw up on the PS3, they had a two level recovery plan:

1 - Create GREAT software to showcase your system
2 - Make your platform and services enticing to clients (PS+ offered great games, the OS was streamlined, I don't really care that much about these aspects honestly, but it may have tipped the scale)

Ms is only doing the platform and technology side, this is useless if the games don't follow.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
yeah kingdom hearts III, yakuza 0, the outer worlds, final fantasy XV all overrated trash games.

Compare those to

- Dreams (just out)
- The Last of Us Two
- Ghost Of Thusima
- Nioh 2
- Final Fantasy 8-1RE
- MLB2020
- Yakuza 7
- Yakuza Collection
- other JRPGs like Ys or Persona 5 Royale

Y0 came out years ago and FF15 was and still is utter trash, no matter your platform of choice. But those other games are old or not as good as the original, predecessor.

Birdo

Banned

Here in the UK, the 360 was HUGE. It stomped the PS3 all the way to the end of the gen. Everyone and his dog had one.

MS were in a great position to start this gen on a high................ Only for Don Mattrick to fuck it all up.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I watched the video last night, and i do agree with him.

The OG and the 360 were such great consoles, they had exclusives that made me want to get them, games that i enjoy playing to this day, they had great third party support too, with the 360 having some great exclusives from japanese studios. Compared to those, the one does nothing for me.

Mediocre first party output outside of forza, lower support from smaller jap devs, too much focus on the online experience.

"oh, but the X is the most powerful console atm and XSX will be the most powerful console next-gen" And? Having the most powerful console never meant that you're gonna get the best games, if that was the case, the OG xbox would have cleared the floor with the ps2 carcass.

"what about gamepass?" I prefer to buy my games so i still have them when i decide to stop paying for the service.

In my opinion, BC is legitemely the best thing about the xbox one, but that alone wont make me buy one, when i can just turn on my 360 and OG xbox and have a good time with those games.

MS needs to stop focusing on services alone and more in providing good gaming exclusives, that make people want to buy their console. Power alone never dictated the success of a console, no matter how much some people want to belive it does.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The only Xbox system I really liked was the original, because that was the only one that had some sort of unique identity to it. Lots of really good exclusives, and games felt a lot more polished than they did on the 360, where seemingly every game chugged along at 25fps. Probably helps that they used some expensive-ass hardware in it.

I have an Xbone X, and it's cool for the few games that are best on it (which... there aren't a lot of, if you have a capable PC). I wouldn't describe it, or the current direction of Xbox, to be exciting, though.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I watched the video last night, and i do agree with him.

The OG and the 360 were such great consoles, they had exclusives that made me want to get them, games that i enjoy playing to this day, they had great third party support too, with the 360 having some great exclusives from japanese studios. Compared to those, the one does nothing for me.

Mediocre first party output outside of forza, lower support from smaller jap devs, too much focus on the online experience.

"oh, but the X is the most powerful console atm and XSX will be the most powerful console next-gen" And? Having the most powerful console never meant that you're gonna get the best games, if that was the case, the OG xbox would have cleared the floor with the ps2 carcass.

"what about gamepass?" I prefer to buy my games so i still have them when i decide to stop paying for the service.

In my opinion, BC is legitemely the best thing about the xbox one, but that alone wont make me buy one, when i can just turn on my 360 and OG xbox and have a good time with those games.

MS needs to stop focusing on services alone and more in providing good gaming exclusives, that make people want to buy their console. Power alone never dictated the success of a console, no matter how much some people want to belive it does.
this post is so out dated, I'm looking for afros and bell bottoms.

Bruh...

1st) Your whole schtick about GP is irrelevant as you can actually buy the games you like from the same service at a discounted price.

2nd) XGS has 15 studios and counting. The "Xbox has no Games" mantra is as old as Jesus by now. Yet, forumites like yourself keep peddling this lame bullshit.

3rd) Power CLEARLY is relevant as I bet every singel Sony fanboy here is hoping like hell the PS5 is at least close to an equivalent in power as the Series X. Power was never THE reason any console ever won a generation. It is definitely a factor though. I'll be able to push this point home more clearly when the PS5 comes in at a whopping 9tf later this year -- IF it makes that deadline.

4th) Microsoft is focusing on services and Cloud gaming (...along with exclusives and hardware. How its so hard for some of you to grasp they have all of this covered is beyond me...) because thats where the gaming climate is heading and they have an edge in both! Whereas Sony and Nintendo cant hold a candle to either. Not fanboy shit. Them just the facts, yoski!

5th) The video is even more out dated than your post as the both of you sound like you've been living under a rock for the last 7-8 years. To even suggest Xbox is still struggling to meet any of the other players in todays gaming community is deluding yourself and a healthy endorsement in playing willfully dense.

We are no longer back in 2012-2013. Some of you would do much better to remember that. I mean, it's only in your face damn near every day for crying out loud.. Like, really! Some of you kats act legit frightened of Xbox and what it could potentially mean for Sony.

As long as Sony keeps putting out bangers (and hopefully a competent console against the competition) they'll continue to make a healthy profit this generation as well. I'm simply saying they wont be the only ones. And right now Microsoft is clearly running the narrative while Sony hides behind a virus. They couldnt even bother to do a digital video of their presentation for GDC. And we STILL aint heard shit about that changing any time soon.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Xbox used to be the shit. They turned their backs on the people who were with them since the beginning. Stick with 360.. lol. No, I'll just buy a PS4, thank you very much.

I hope they do better next gen. Competition is always a good thing for us.

I like most of Act mans videos but this one seemed to be all over the place. The 1st one being the original xbox the original xbox was not again not popular at all. Pretty much if you had a pc at the time you could play 85% of the games on the OG xbox the og xbox got japanese game support for games that couldnt run on the ps2 even if they tried DOA3,NG black,Jet set ect.
The 360 was popular for 2 reasons 1. it was way cheaper then a $599 ps3 the everything the ps3 had and offered was expensive Controllers were $70 if you wanted one with more storage that added up to $100 to $200 more blue rays were $100 a pop, Games never went on sale and if they did they never dropped. Compared that to the 360 you could pick up games,controllers what ever for $50 and below.
2nd. It was the dude bro console MS spent tons of money on cod and other timed exclusives that was what gave them the other edge. Also the fact that the system was easy to make games for thats why 90% of the multiplats on 360 played and ran better and its why the Fighting game community pretty muched played on xbox and pc exclusively till 2016.

The reason the xbox one failed is because of its insane DRM and FBI/NSA spycam that what required to be used at launch. And them pretty much trying to get rid of used games if either of those two things never happened xbox would of been fine. Xbox has had exclusives of multiple genres the only people saying xbox doesn't have exclusives are the people who are in the sony camp that want ever game to be some cinematic walkie talkie experience. Current sony has made almost nothing but cinematic walkie talkie games from there western studios. And if they arent doing that there censoring the japanese devs "The only ones bring some sort of variety" to the ground. The only benfit the ps4 had was no stupid drm out the gate and no NSA spy cam . I would of got an xbox one at launch if it didnt have those things I would of much rather played Forza 5 and K.i 2013 over KZ shadowfall and knack.

ManaByte

The reason the xbox one failed is because of its insane DRM and FBI/NSA spycam that what required to be used at launch. And them pretty much trying to get rid of used games if either of those two things never happened xbox would of been fine. Xbox has had exclusives of multiple genres the only people saying xbox doesn't have exclusives are the people who are in the sony camp that want ever game to be some cinematic walkie talkie experience. Current sony has made almost nothing but cinematic walkie talkie games from there western studios. And if they arent doing that there censoring the japanese devs "The only ones bring some sort of variety" to the ground. The only benfit the ps4 had was no stupid drm out the gate and no NSA spy cam . I would of got an xbox one at launch if it didnt have those things I would of much rather played Forza 5 and K.i 2013 over KZ shadowfall and knack.

But the Xbox didn't have that DRM at launch.

The special factor with Xbox for me was always Xbox Live. It has shit on PSN ever since it was introduced. And as someone who never cared for most of what either side offered, the lack of first party exclusives versus PS4 never bothered me.

But I gotta ask how 360 was “super dope” or whatever. It was plagued early on by RRoD. The last few years were a joke with almost nothing from MS but Halo, Gears, and Forza. They abandoned core gamers to chase after the Kinect fad and it sucked. I’d say the 360 was a good console but I’d rate the Xbone and OG Xbox above it.

Wow was Mattrick really gone before the console even launched? Seems like forever ago.
It was dope in the sense that it goes games from all over varying genres multiple jp games were exclusive to it even games that were region locked to japan. The online on the xbox was super smove which benefited any and all online based games thats why UT3 and games like that lasted years on xbox. The RROD sucked and there were multiple wiki pages on which models to buy to avoid stuff like that MS had always made games based off of there 3 flag ship titles. Xbox had Forza, Project gothem racing, Sega rally, outrun and burnout and Need for speed. MS will always make gameplay based games I think the people who want MS to start pumping out some walkie talki games will never like the line up MS offers.

Top Bottom