• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The actual photo box Xbox Series S SSD 1TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about, I said there are more 120FPS games on XSS. than 8K games on PS5, wtf are you saying...
Dog Walk GIF

That's not what you said...
And if that's the win you want, take it by all means. :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

What are you talking about, I said there are more 120FPS games on XSS. than 8K games on PS5, wtf are you saying...

I don't know if it means anything to be honest. In either case.

You can't use the Touryst to prove that the PS5 is an 8K console and you can't use a list of 120FPS games to prove thet the XSS is more powerful than the PS5.

kiphalfton

Then again PS5 has 8K somewhere in the box, perhaps series x as well.

But yeah, lol.Now they only need to add a bluray drive option or solution for physical retrocompat with xbox 360 and One.

That's the main reason I'm not buying one. I don't need an Xbox Series X and can't justify the premium for it, but I would if I could play my existing library on Series S.

A solution should have happened years ago.

I'd take a add on drive for the XSS.

[Side tangent incoming]

However, that would likely result in a monkey paw wish being granted, as it would probably cost at least $100 for the disk drive by itself. Which would essentially make it pointless getting an XSS + disk drive (mainly because the total for those two would be a $100 difference in price between the XSS and XSX).

nial

Gold Member
If a digital-only PS5 Slim is $300, this really isn't going to look appealing at all. I mean, aren't most of the Series S demographics young or very casual people? Why would they care about this over the original SKU?

If a digital-only PS5 Slim is $300, this really isn't going to look appealing at all. I mean, aren't most of the Series S demographics young or very casual people? Why would they care about this over the original SKU?

People who cared about Series S already bought it....

I don't know how doubling the storage space for 50$ more can change anything

Actually the original SKU was on fire sale during last year's Holydays for $200-250

Why should people care about a $350 SKU now???

SenkiDala

I don't know if it means anything to be honest. In either case.

You can't use the Touryst to prove that the PS5 is an 8K console and you can't use a list of 120FPS games to prove thet the XSS is more powerful than the PS5.
Of course it means nothing. 8K games basically don't exist it's what I mean, and 120FPS are almost the same... The PS4 Pro too had a "4K" mention on the box, even though I don't even know if 1 native 4K game exists on PS4 Pro, and I still have one.

I don't even know why we're speaking about this in fact, those mentions on the box just means that the machines are CAPABLE of outputting it, that's all.

Of course it means nothing. 8K games basically don't exist it's what I mean, and 120FPS are almost the same... The PS4 Pro too had a "4K" mention on the box, even though I don't even know if 1 native 4K game exists on PS4 Pro, and I still have one.

I don't even know why we're speaking about this in fact, those mentions on the box just means that the machines are CAPABLE of outputting it, that's all.

THIS

HDMI Video Output resolution is not the same as the rendering resolution

The problem with Series S is that they sold it as:

"THE SAME AS SERIES X, just at 1440p/60 up to 120 fps"

We know now it was a blatant lie by MS

Time Stamped

Last edited:

SenkiDala

THIS

HDMI Video Output resolution is not the same as the rendering resolution

Time Stamped

Exactly. And at this moment do they know they're lying or not ? Did Kutaragi knew that 1080p120fps on PS3 was a lie ? I prefer not to care too much about the PR talks and judge a system on facts, on a game library, on how games actually run. Also reminds me when Penelo said "on Xbox One there won't be any loading screen anymore, never"... :D

DaGwaphics

@Bojji , I think 8K gaming is so far removed from these systems that it shouldn't be a concern. It would be good if they could add 8k output for video though, as long as they can support a decoding option supported by 8k netflix streams and things like that (if there is any such thing at this point).

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, instead of paying $350 for S, might as well grab X on sale for $450, used X for $400 (maybe less) or new PS5 DE for 400 (maybe less on sale now days).

$350 for XSS 1TB is a terrible deal.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yeah, instead of paying $350 for S, might as well grab X on sale for $450, used X for $400 (maybe less) or new PS5 DE for 400 (maybe less on sale now days).

$350 for XSS 1TB is a terrible deal.
Here is even how much more stupid the deal is. If Microsoft decided not to lock the internal SSD so you could replace it, you could get a PCIe gen4 2TB M.2 2230 SSD for $120 and replace the internal 512GB one. But of course, they locked it, so you have to buy the expansion card that is overpriced.

SSD.jpg

Specs: It is twice as fast as the internal SSD for both XSX and S
  • Form Factor: M.2 2230
  • Read Speed: Up to 4500 MB/s
  • Write Speed: Up to 4000 MB/s
  • 4KB Random Read: Up to 650,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Write: Up to 700,000 IOPS
  • TBW: 600TB
  • 3-year warranty

Last edited:

PeteBull

Such a terrible deal, series s was awful at 300$ which was even understood by casual console players(hence terrible xbox series x+s numbers vs ps5 worldwide), now at 350 it just got even worse compared to ps5 after price drop, standard doa.

The most weird shit is, that 1tb ssd costs now less than 500giga ssd from og xbox series s costed back at launch in november 2020, over 2,5 years ago, since ssd prices took crazy dive last years, so i cant even figure microsoft strategy here, they wanna make bucks on their entry lvl weaksauce console for casuals by upping its price coz of that additional superchheap 500gigs of ssd?

For comparision thats pcie gen4 ssd with same speeds as the ssd in xbox series x/s https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fn...-pcie-40-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-snv2s1000g and we talking individal users here, not bulk buys like big companies do.
So again 42$ for such ssd 1tb, yet microsoft gives 500gigs more vs previous series x and bumps price by 50usd somehow;P

Fucking hell this shit is 350 ? I thought this was 300 and wanted it to be 200 to fight against switch and ps5 de
This should be max 250 with 3 months gamepass for causal players

FingerBang

It looks nice, but with PS4 at $399 (currently for both versions, though I imagine the price will go back up), this is DOA.

PeteBull

Presumably they've done market research and found that Series S users want more storage and are prepared to pay a bit more for it.

That would be my wild guess.
Its really stupid then, already coz of 2:1 worldwide sales xbox console version is never lead platform for those multiplat games, so best strategy would be to lower series s price to 200$ and shovel them all into ppl throats so they can catch up in terms of instal base, if trend continues sony wont only keep current ratio but even can increase it with inevitable ps5 slim and ps5pr0 next year, so easier time for them and harder for ms(more expensive to make exclusive deals, cheaper for sony).

MS knows instal base and mindshare is big in favour of sony(and games sales too, often 80/20 or 70/30) so if they dont fix that, even by taking some loss on the hardware or at least not make profit, i expect some srs graping happening, market/customers is merciless, especially casual console players, they dont have strong feelings towards any brand and just follow the flock... ;/

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Its really stupid then, already coz of 2:1 worldwide sales xbox console version is never lead platform for those multiplat games, so best strategy would be to lower series s price to 200$ and shovel them all into ppl throats so they can catch up in terms of instal base, if trend continues sony wont only keep current ratio but even can increase it with inevitable ps5 slim and ps5pr0 next year, so easier time for them and harder for ms(more expensive to make exclusive deals, cheaper for sony).

MS knows instal base and mindshare is big in favour of sony(and games sales too, often 80/20 or 70/30) so if they dont fix that, even by taking some loss on the hardware or at least not make profit, i expect some srs graping happening, market/customers is merciless, especially casual console players, they dont have strong feelings towards any brand and just follow the flock... ;/
What the fuck am I reading?

PeteBull

What the fuck am I reading?
Just me critiquing stupid microsoft move of baseless price hike of a product that doesnt get much sales anyways.
If u dont call out stupid shit like that u will have platform holder keep repeating mistakes like this one, then we will get those staged interviews with phil crying xbox cant beat playstation even if starfield is amazing, aka 0 selfawarness and responsibility for their own stupid strategy.

I'd take a add on drive for the XSS.

[Side tangent incoming]

However, that would likely result in a monkey paw wish being granted, as it would probably cost at least $100 for the disk drive by itself. Which would essentially make it pointless getting an XSS + disk drive (mainly because the total for those two would be a $100 difference in price between the XSS and XSX).
Yeah, external drive should be cheaper than that. $50 is what it's worth tbh.

That or a retail version with drive and charging $50 extra. Anything more than that, not worth it. (unless they add extra storage with it, like $100 for 1TB slot SSD+disk drive)
I'm surprised the new Series S isn't a Baldur's Gate 3 special edition.
With 2 controllers for co-op?

The price should include a second controller for sure. Super expensive price hike for the current price of memory. 2TB with two 1TB nand chips are cheaper now per GB than 1TB (with 2 chips), so even in the small m.2 nvme form factor with 1 memory chip they're using, 1 Tb chips are quite cheap/feasible right now.

2TB single chips admittedly not as much as of yet.
Just me critiquing stupid microsoft move of baseless price hike of a product that doesnt get much sales anyways.
If u dont call out stupid shit like that u will have platform holder keep repeating mistakes like this one, then we will get those staged interviews with phil crying xbox cant beat playstation even if starfield is amazing, aka 0 selfawarness and responsibility for their own stupid strategy.
Intuition tells me Series S probably sells more than Series X, but I'd say not at this price.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Intuition tells me Series S probably sells more than Series X, but I'd say not at this price.
Thats a given but its in microsofts best interest to have by now not 21m combined x+s but 50m+, that would increase gamepass subs by a lot, so lets say we got currently 5m X and 16m S , and they bumping S price by 50 instead of lowering it by 100.
Goal should be at least to stay on pair with ps5 instalbase wise, not to move ratio in sony's favour even more .

poodaddy

Don't say that, Xbox is dead silent. Tbh, give it some service with SSD upgrade
? Not gonna lie, I'm a bit confused about this. Are you saying I should replace the internal hard drive with an SSD? If so, nah, I remember finding that annoying with the PS4, so I just don't wanna dick with it, and I figure it'd just be easier to replace the One X with a Series S. It used to be pretty quiet though, yeah, but these days it's disturbingly loud. Even my daughter was perturbed by it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I wouldn't really get to excited about it personally, there are games on Series X that run at 1080p/60 - I'm thinking of Evil West - if the Series S played that game at 1440p/60 up to 120fps, then it'd be some kind of physics defying machine from the future, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom