• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent |OT| As Above, So Below

MC is at 75...
Frustrated World Cup GIF

It still looks fun, and I'll probably play this on PC, IDGAF.

mxbison

The PC review version seems to have quite a lot of technical difficulties, hope they fixed that with a day 1 patch.

noise36

Have it pre-loaded on gamepass so unless it gets really bad reviews will give it a go due to the nostalgia vibes I get from the videos of the game play.

Markio128

Just read the Eurogamer review - seems like the setting is cool, but the gameplay sounds a little rinse and repeat. Tbh, my next Indie will be Deaths Door, which I know isn’t on Gamepass, however, looks far more up my street and I’m always happy to stump up the dough for quality games.

Just read the Eurogamer review - seems like the setting is cool, but the gameplay sounds a little rinse and repeat. Tbh, my next Indie will be Deaths Door, which I know isn’t on Gamepass, however, looks far more up my street and I’m always happy to stump up the dough for quality games.

Deaths Door is great . Highly recommended

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeap, this seems to have some legit issues but overall will be fun for a blast with a friend. I will give it a go thanks to gamepass but my money will be on Deaths door outside of this weekends Halo action!

Such a shame, in some ways. I was really excited for this.

mxbison

Was anyone really expecting a 90+ Metacritic score for twin-stick shooter from a new studio with like 10 people?

76 average is fine, I'm looking forward to this.

Karak

Yeap, this seems to have some legit issues but overall will be fun for a blast with a friend. I will give it a go thanks to gamepass but my money will be on Deaths door outside of this weekends Halo action!

Such a shame, in some ways. I was really excited for this.
There is with dx12 for sure. But they said patches were incoming. Other than that and 2 matchmaking crashes, I didn't have much of an issue.

Karak

I'll watch Skillup and ACG videos, both reviewers lineup with my expectations. Reading some of the posts concerned about the difficulty spike , as if it is only designed with co-op in mind to mitigate it. We will see. Might just load it up anyways.
Diff spikes? Like that...reduced points for a review? Cause while some combat was hard, you would have to have just...2 left thumbs and no idea how to play to not be able to get passed them.

Also about reviews
If someone gives a game a 1 out of 10, as long as they can explain it in the context of the review why a game got a 1 2 or 3 out of a total of 10 entire points than that review is valid from their standpoint.
I haven't watched other reviews, I most likely won't as the game is, what it is to me. But if the context is NOT delivered to explain whatever review someone gives, then that is an issue.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
7.5 is a really good score even if some of the reviews are mixed. I'm still looking forward to playing it.

Edit:

I'm looking at the PC meteoritic reviews. Xbox reviews are janked up because of that 3/10 from metro.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Diff spikes? Like that...reduced points for a review? Cause while some combat was hard, you would have to have just...2 left thumbs and no idea how to play to not be able to get passed them.

Also about reviews
If someone gives a game a 1 out of 10, as long as they can explain it in the context of the review why a game got a 1 2 or 3 out of a total of 10 entire points than that review is valid from their standpoint.
I haven't watched other reviews, I most likely won't as the game is, what it is to me. But if the context is NOT delivered to explain whatever review someone gives, then that is an issue.
Is the footage mostly form the PC version in your review?, the graphics look ridiculously good.

noise36

MC at 64??!!

Ouch, that must hurt...

Maybe a few better scores to come though?

PC is 75 https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-ascent

XBOX got bombed by a 3/10 review

Cant see any reason not to give it a go if you already have GP as looks very interesting.

I know people bang on about this but its why GP is so awesome, if this was a PS5 game charging me $125 AUD to try it I would pass. i.e. returnal.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
MC at 64??!!

Ouch, that must hurt...

Maybe a few better scores to come though?
Yeah there was so much hype about this game. It was on every list wars the past few weeks. Are you guys going to make a review thread or just let it go quietly?

I'll play tonight but I'm glad they got that GP check because it seems like another Day1 flop ala Dark Alliance.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gamepass makes it a no brainer for me, ACG make it sound good so gonna try on my day off.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Metro GameCentral 3/10

Praises the visuals but left very frustrated overall. Think I’m going to stick to Deaths Door and Hades
3/10 isn’t good. That ranks amongst some of the lowest review scores that I’ve ever seen. Game must be borderline unplayable.

Stuart360

Yeah there was so much fake hype about this game. It was on every list wars the past few weeks. Are you guys going to make a review thread or just let it go quietly?

I'll play tonight but I'm glad they got that GP check because it seems like another Day1 flop ala Dark Alliance.
What are you trying to say?, that people were lying about looking forward to it?. I saw you do the same in another thread about Flight Simulator, acting like people are faking liking it or somehting.
Just cut the bullshit.

j0hnnix

Also about reviews
I agree. That's why I'm shocked at one of the reviews. 3/10 it's too hard. I was curious as to what is the reasoning behind it but there isn't much explanation in that specific review.

Edit: read the 3/10 review, and have more clarity. I'll stick to my normal video reviewers i.e. ACG and Skillup and so far it is positive. The below snippet is the con from the 3/10. Contradicts Skillups AI opinion during his review.
Cons: Horribly shallow and repetitive action, with terrible mission design and unengaging storytelling. Awful artificial intelligence and in-game map. No online matchmaking and lots of bugs.

Last edited:

Stuart360

PC is the home for these kind of games., There are tons of them. If the PC version is getting a very solid score by PC reviewers then thats a good sign.

GymWolf

No, in this day and age when the review scale is practically from 7-10 I can only imagine that a 3 can be given for an actual broken game.

If the game isn’t broken, which it doesn’t appear to be, then I’d suggest the reviewer from the Metro is a massive cunt.
Well at least you know why the cunt gave the game a 3.

Top Bottom