• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
Did I tell y'all about one time when I was in 5th grade and our teacher was gonna have us simulate a slave auction? I was the only black kid in class and the moment our teacher said slave auction literally the entire class looked at me.
Did they go through with it?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
got damn.
Idk why I said 5th grade. I was a junior in high school. The worst part about it was that the BSU coordinator co-signed it

Did they go through with it?
Ma complained and wrote a few angry letters. I got into another class with the quickness which ironically was the class populated with like most of the black people in my graduating class. My friend who stayed in the class said they didn't go through with the auction.

Imm0rt4l

He's not any part of black in any way. He's a racist old white man who shows how racist he is the moment black people decide to step out of line.

Preach. I've always scratched my head at the whole "Bill Clinton was the first black President" shit that got tossed around a lot when I was kid. Like cause this dude played the saxophone on Arsenio Hall show? ...okay I guess.

"Bill Clinton "mastered the art of sending mixed cultural messages" -- warmly embracing black folks, singing in black churches and wearing shades while playing the saxophone, while at the same time signaling to whites who had defected from the Democratic Party that he could be trusted to be tougher on struggling black communities than the Republicans had been."

Michelle Alexander

"Bill Clinton "mastered the art of sending mixed cultural messages" -- warmly embracing black folks, singing in black churches and wearing shades while playing the saxophone, while at the same time signaling to whites who had defected from the Democratic Party that he could be trusted to be tougher on struggling black communities than the Republicans had been."

Michelle Alexander

Pretty much.

Did I tell y'all about one time when I was in 5th grade and our teacher was gonna have us simulate a slave auction? I was the only black kid in class and the moment our teacher said slave auction literally the entire class looked at me.

goddamn.

D i Z

guys, I think I love Guild Wars 2

like I can't remember another MMO that gave me such a sense of adventure and exploration, that is backed up by the game mechanics

like they reward you for exploring, and for taking part in events that just happen around you in the game world, and there's whole areas that they don't tell you about with NPC dialogue or quests or anything, and it actually feels like a multiplayer MMO because of the way they have things set up, instead of just a single player game where you occasionally see other people around

so I'm in GW2 this morning and I'm going around doing the equivalent of quests (which are really just areas where you kill enemies or complete small tasks to get xp and rewards), and events are happening all over the place

I'm at this huge volcano area, and I'm just messing with my inventory and these vendors, around this camp. Suddenly a bunch of crab enemies invade the camp (this has effects like contesting the waypoint so you can't travel to it, the enemies will knock out NPCs so you can't talk to them, etc) and the players in the area fight it off. this starts like an event chain where you're fighting around and inside the volcano, tons of enemies and players everywhere, good stuff.

Then as I reach the middle of the volcano crater and hit the waypoint, I see there are like 60 players just chilling. I ask what's up and apparently the event chain will lead to a world boss fight spawning in about 20 minutes. So that's cool. I leave and go do some more stuff, fight through the other side of the mountain, climb up to the very top to hit a viewpoint for some exploration progress and a nice view.I head back around to the waypoint, because it was contested and I had to fight my way to it instead of warping there. Then the boss spawns and dozens of people just do this full-on boss fight that you can just walk to and join in, it's not at the end of a dungeon or anything.

Get my loot, look at my map, see there's an area in the unexplored section of the map where a scout I talked to said there was stuff to do. As I'm walking around the mountain I see another event pop up because I'm close to it, saying "defeat the Keeper of Light". So I come around the northeast side of the volcano and there's a little area with a smaller elite demon thing. I figure "sure, why not?" and kill him. A portal opens up behind him. There's no event notification, no quest or anything. I just walk up to it and it asks if I want to go in, even though it's dangerous.

I say yes, it teleports me to this hidden garden area that's not accessible normally but is totally on the world map. I want to be clear here, at no point is there a hint anywhere that this is an area that you can get to. It's not part of the listed exploration goals for the region, there's no overt quest to get there, there's no waypoint for me to get back if I die. The game is just set up to let you explore, come across this fight in your travels if you happen to be close and use the portal to get in there.

There's a big tree up a sort of broken up hill in the middle of the area. I jump/climb my way up there and there's an NPC telling me I can open this sweet chest behind her if I collect these four orbs or whatever. Sky, sea, earth, sun, whatever. This involves me going to different areas and platforming around , beating the occasional enemy while I get these keys. Some of the jumping puzzles are really precarious, too. Like you're jumping from outcropping to outcropping along the side of a cliff, and if you fuck up you're done.

Dierdre%27s_Steps.jpg

It was an amazing change of pace from the non-stop fighting I'd been doing, and it felt like I had actually discovered something instead of being led there by the hand. It helped that I was the only one in there the whole time, even though I could see multiple portals into the place and anybody could have theoretically showed up. I felt like I had done something even though the gear that dropped from the chest wasn't even for my class. I wasn't even mad because the experience was so cool.

GW2 is crazy underrated. People were too quick to pass it by because it wasn't planning on draining wallets as some weird barometer of quality and longevity. It's still the only MMO that I ever look forward to jumping back in knowing full well that it's constantly evolving.

I think MMOs in general need more platforming. The few times it's popped up in WOW have been pretty fun.

GW2 has it, but admittedly it's not implemented in a way that isn't frustrating most of the time.

D i Z

I think most people passed on GW2 simply because there was no triangle and made group PVE content chaotic.

I honestly don't think most people looked that deeply into the content to make that judgement for themselves. If they had, it really wouldn't have mattered for quite a few. The holy trinity has always been a flawed underpinning that became way too much of a focus (and distraction imo) from thoughtful encounter design.

Trey

guys, I think I love Guild Wars 2

like I can't remember another MMO that gave me such a sense of adventure and exploration, that is backed up by the game mechanics

like they reward you for exploring, and for taking part in events that just happen around you in the game world, and there's whole areas that they don't tell you about with NPC dialogue or quests or anything, and it actually feels like a multiplayer MMO because of the way they have things set up, instead of just a single player game where you occasionally see other people around

so I'm in GW2 this morning and I'm going around doing the equivalent of quests (which are really just areas where you kill enemies or complete small tasks to get xp and rewards), and events are happening all over the place

I'm at this huge volcano area, and I'm just messing with my inventory and these vendors, around this camp. Suddenly a bunch of crab enemies invade the camp (this has effects like contesting the waypoint so you can't travel to it, the enemies will knock out NPCs so you can't talk to them, etc) and the players in the area fight it off. this starts like an event chain where you're fighting around and inside the volcano, tons of enemies and players everywhere, good stuff.

Then as I reach the middle of the volcano crater and hit the waypoint, I see there are like 60 players just chilling. I ask what's up and apparently the event chain will lead to a world boss fight spawning in about 20 minutes. So that's cool. I leave and go do some more stuff, fight through the other side of the mountain, climb up to the very top to hit a viewpoint for some exploration progress and a nice view.I head back around to the waypoint, because it was contested and I had to fight my way to it instead of warping there. Then the boss spawns and dozens of people just do this full-on boss fight that you can just walk to and join in, it's not at the end of a dungeon or anything.

Get my loot, look at my map, see there's an area in the unexplored section of the map where a scout I talked to said there was stuff to do. As I'm walking around the mountain I see another event pop up because I'm close to it, saying "defeat the Keeper of Light". So I come around the northeast side of the volcano and there's a little area with a smaller elite demon thing. I figure "sure, why not?" and kill him. A portal opens up behind him. There's no event notification, no quest or anything. I just walk up to it and it asks if I want to go in, even though it's dangerous.

I say yes, it teleports me to this hidden garden area that's not accessible normally but is totally on the world map. I want to be clear here, at no point is there a hint anywhere that this is an area that you can get to. It's not part of the listed exploration goals for the region, there's no overt quest to get there, there's no waypoint for me to get back if I die. The game is just set up to let you explore, come across this fight in your travels if you happen to be close and use the portal to get in there.

There's a big tree up a sort of broken up hill in the middle of the area. I jump/climb my way up there and there's an NPC telling me I can open this sweet chest behind her if I collect these four orbs or whatever. Sky, sea, earth, sun, whatever. This involves me going to different areas and platforming around , beating the occasional enemy while I get these keys. Some of the jumping puzzles are really precarious, too. Like you're jumping from outcropping to outcropping along the side of a cliff, and if you fuck up you're done.

Dierdre%27s_Steps.jpg

It was an amazing change of pace from the non-stop fighting I'd been doing, and it felt like I had actually discovered something instead of being led there by the hand. It helped that I was the only one in there the whole time, even though I could see multiple portals into the place and anybody could have theoretically showed up. I felt like I had done something even though the gear that dropped from the chest wasn't even for my class. I wasn't even mad because the experience was so cool.

weren't you the one asking for MMO recommendations a while back and I mentioned GW2? I feel responsible for this put on.

Either way, I'm glad to see you enjoying it. It's a finely crafted game from top to bottom, and it's utterly beautiful both art direction wise, and in how they make the maps to accessible and explorable in every axis. It's truly one of my favorite games of all time.

BigDes

Yeah Guild Wars 2 is fantastic

It had a bit of a slow first year which is what killed it for a lot of people I think but now it is amazing.

If my internet was faster and more stable here I would jump back in, that and The Secret World.

Slayven

Slay don't have time to remember what every one of his fans says.

Slay too Hollywood, I forgot.
Hahahahaha I didn't even see that, I skipped out on that when all the apologists started chiming in.
Hehehe😁

Manga?
It's super shonen. If you like book spell combat,wanting to be hokage,Sasuke like rival,being in guilds etc. Takes from other shonen but is surprisingly massacre happy

Sounds like what I am looking for.

Numb

giphy.gif
Hahahahaha I didn't even see that, I skipped out on that when all the apologists started chiming in.

Sounds like what I am looking for.
It ain't bad
Early for now so things haven't gotten out there yet

Shy

I didn't know they cast Martin Freeman as Everett Ross... With such a big name attached to the character, my worst fears with the Black Panther movie are going to be realized.
That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to have the standalone BP be through the eyes of Freeman, and have him be the main character.

FyreWulff

I am not even going to be on the net the week of the 19th

/r/sandersforpresident will just redirect to Fox News

actually that's a joke it already keeps posting advertisements for Fox News

also i like how they go on about bernie not needing pacs when his fucking subreddit is run by a pac lol

edit: and before someone jumps on me, I know they're not registered as a pac, but they basically operate as one, and if we had any legal sense they'd be regulated as one.

Slayven

/r/sandersforpresident will just redirect to Fox News

actually that's a joke it already keeps posting advertisements for Fox News

also i like how they go on about bernie not needing pacs when his fucking subreddit is run by a pac lol
They will jsut facebank harder

You haven't lived until you parsed down a 5000 line spreadsheet to 3700 lines.

Woo :\

and your eyes still work?

Who the fuck plays Nazi drinking games

Well, besides the obvious

I mean, I've played beer pong before. I've actually seen a picture and the rules of that game on the internet before. I may or may not have laughed and suggested trying it out to a group of like minded people.

I'm not a bad person

I mean, I've played beer pong before. I've actually seen a picture and the rules of that game on the internet before. I may or may not have laughed and suggested trying it out to a group of like minded people.

I'm not a bad person

I don't like drinking games that require cleanup afterward or defending photographic evidence

LionPride

Banned
Just dumb high school kids who are dumb kids
Dumb high school kids who are dumb kids smash pumpkins, blow the whole baseball/football team and brags about it, maces a girl in a fight, curbstomps someone on a lunch table at a fight, fighta security officers, not play beer pong with Swastikas and Jewish Stars

andthebeatgoeson

Matrix one vs die hard 3? Matrix. Just about to get to the good part. Movie is a goddamn goat.

Edit: these sound effects of these guns. Makes me want to support Bernie's pro gun stance.

Random question: Anyone know if the PS4 Battleborn beta ends when the one on the next console starts, or if it keeps going? Their messaging is mad vague.

I don't recall any multiplatform betas starting at different times. Usually it's exclusive to one console or another. I'd image with this it's just that PS4 users get a head start over PC and XB1 users, but they'd end at the same time. Could be wrong though since no end date is available on their website for any version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom