• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johndoey

Banned
Goddamnit I'm sitting in my living room watching Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 at 1:30 in the morning.

Flint is a Jesus analogue. He was borne down the river by sentient marshmallows.

Wait holy shit he is literally their God. This is fantastic. The white man comes into food territory with his poisoned offerings.

Damn some soylent green shit about to go down.

A bunch of people died horrible deaths in this movie.

cdyhybrid

Civil War reviews starting to come in...

IXvcjwG.gif

Malyse

Where you're from - Detroit
Where you live - Detroit
What is your age? - 24
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - African American, with Puerto Rican in half of my dad’s side
Do you know your roots - No farther than my grand parents. Sorry LeVar Burton.
Favorite musical genre - Hip hop.
Your profession/major/career interest - Linguistics, and also IT.
Your religious affiliation - Christian
Hobbies - Games, photography, beer making
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - We don’t have Bojangles up here, so Popeye’s wins by default, though I like our local places much better.

Really glad we have this thread. This is my first time venturing out of Gaming-Discussion after being on GAF for years( a lurking for a decade at least), and I guess I assumed there were no black people on GAF, as this is still a part of that old 90s/00s face-less Internet. Why I assumed so is probably a deep subject in itself, but I am glad we have this.i

Sup everybody?
Marvel or DC?
Who's your favorite superhero?
Anime or nah?
What's your favorite Disney movie?
Glad I read this thread just for this gif.

full

Also, for this Instagram I'm beating Malyse to posting GOOD GOD DAMN HOLY FUCK(NSFW and not a scary page like last time).

Also, https://www.instagram.com/p/6waISqNxo1/.(NSFW)
Malyse is trying to stay in the top 500 on KHUX, so Malyse will be scarce

Johndoey

Banned
you think that shit is awkward, wait until the episode where the real woman comes on the ship

I have never cringed so hard at a TV show in my life

I love that the episode pulls back and acknowledges the situation is the creepiest thing ever.

harSon

Banned
I didn't know they cast Martin Freeman as Everett Ross... With such a big name attached to the character, my worst fears with the Black Panther movie are going to be realized.

jmood88

I didn't know they cast Martin Freeman as Everett Ross... With such a big name attached to the character, my worst fears with the Black Panther movie are going to be realized.
When did Martin Freeman become a big name? Even with the hobbit movies, I've seen very few people who actually know who he is.

harSon

Banned
When did Martin Freeman become a big name? Even with the hobbit movies, I've seen very few people who actually know who he is.

He's not MASSIVE, but he's a well known quantity - especially in Europe. He's more of a character actor than a leading man, but I doubt they'd put someone with lead roles in stuff like The Hobbit, Sherlock and Fargo under his belt in some minuscule role. Especially given the character's significance within the Priest run of BP.

akira28

its funny how some GAF threads are empathetic as fuck. Like they totally relate to the people in the OP.

and then other times they completely can't relate........

'I can totally relate to pretending to be a nazi.'
'hi we don't really have racism where I am from, what is this? can you explain racism to me?'

Goddamnit I'm sitting in my living room watching Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 at 1:30 in the morning.

Flint is a Jesus analogue. He was borne down the river by sentient marshmallows.

Wait holy shit he is literally their God. This is fantastic. The white man comes into food territory with his poisoned offerings.

Damn some soylent green shit about to go down.

A bunch of people died horrible deaths in this movie.

If he's being borne down the river, isn't that more of a Moses analogue?

In the end, yeah, he's God.

I'm not sure about /all/ the death. I suppose the bad guy had to kill some of the
sentient food
off camera in order to prove his method. But you're right about
the main villain getting offed

Overall, not as good as the first, but still a good time.

He's not any part of black in any way. He's a racist old white man who shows how racist he is the moment black people decide to step out of line.

Preach. I've always scratched my head at the whole "Bill Clinton was the first black President" shit that got tossed around a lot when I was kid. Like cause this dude played the saxophone on Arsenio Hall show? ...okay I guess.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Did I tell y'all about one time when I was in 5th grade and our teacher was gonna have us simulate a slave auction? I was the only black kid in class and the moment our teacher said slave auction literally the entire class looked at me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
guys, I think I love Guild Wars 2

like I can't remember another MMO that gave me such a sense of adventure and exploration, that is backed up by the game mechanics

like they reward you for exploring, and for taking part in events that just happen around you in the game world, and there's whole areas that they don't tell you about with NPC dialogue or quests or anything, and it actually feels like a multiplayer MMO because of the way they have things set up, instead of just a single player game where you occasionally see other people around

so I'm in GW2 this morning and I'm going around doing the equivalent of quests (which are really just areas where you kill enemies or complete small tasks to get xp and rewards), and events are happening all over the place

I'm at this huge volcano area, and I'm just messing with my inventory and these vendors, around this camp. Suddenly a bunch of crab enemies invade the camp (this has effects like contesting the waypoint so you can't travel to it, the enemies will knock out NPCs so you can't talk to them, etc) and the players in the area fight it off. this starts like an event chain where you're fighting around and inside the volcano, tons of enemies and players everywhere, good stuff.

Then as I reach the middle of the volcano crater and hit the waypoint, I see there are like 60 players just chilling. I ask what's up and apparently the event chain will lead to a world boss fight spawning in about 20 minutes. So that's cool. I leave and go do some more stuff, fight through the other side of the mountain, climb up to the very top to hit a viewpoint for some exploration progress and a nice view.I head back around to the waypoint, because it was contested and I had to fight my way to it instead of warping there. Then the boss spawns and dozens of people just do this full-on boss fight that you can just walk to and join in, it's not at the end of a dungeon or anything.

Get my loot, look at my map, see there's an area in the unexplored section of the map where a scout I talked to said there was stuff to do. As I'm walking around the mountain I see another event pop up because I'm close to it, saying "defeat the Keeper of Light". So I come around the northeast side of the volcano and there's a little area with a smaller elite demon thing. I figure "sure, why not?" and kill him. A portal opens up behind him. There's no event notification, no quest or anything. I just walk up to it and it asks if I want to go in, even though it's dangerous.

I say yes, it teleports me to this hidden garden area that's not accessible normally but is totally on the world map. I want to be clear here, at no point is there a hint anywhere that this is an area that you can get to. It's not part of the listed exploration goals for the region, there's no overt quest to get there, there's no waypoint for me to get back if I die. The game is just set up to let you explore, come across this fight in your travels if you happen to be close and use the portal to get in there.

There's a big tree up a sort of broken up hill in the middle of the area. I jump/climb my way up there and there's an NPC telling me I can open this sweet chest behind her if I collect these four orbs or whatever. Sky, sea, earth, sun, whatever. This involves me going to different areas and platforming around , beating the occasional enemy while I get these keys. Some of the jumping puzzles are really precarious, too. Like you're jumping from outcropping to outcropping along the side of a cliff, and if you fuck up you're done.

Dierdre%27s_Steps.jpg

It was an amazing change of pace from the non-stop fighting I'd been doing, and it felt like I had actually discovered something instead of being led there by the hand. It helped that I was the only one in there the whole time, even though I could see multiple portals into the place and anybody could have theoretically showed up. I felt like I had done something even though the gear that dropped from the chest wasn't even for my class. I wasn't even mad because the experience was so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom