• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol First Gameplay Revealed

Y9SjJ33.png

This is so God damn got I'm ready to kick my bitch out so I ain't gotta hear nothing about her heart problems.

Edit: she doesn't have a heart problem. She will after I make her homeless though........kidding

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
It's not that simple. The GPU is not the only hardware. Even if you can crank up some setting later, you are basicly constrained by the lower version of the game, that's why people are demanding games to be next-gen (current-gen) only and ditch last-gen. Then you have another whole different story on PC alone, with a dozen of different gpu's and cpu's from at least 2 different brands. If it were that easy... why does it take a huge brand like Sony so much time to make just PC ports, and even when they come out they have many problems still?
This graphical fidelity should be easily achieved with the Series X, PS5 and PC. The game looks pretty linear and seems to be in tightly packed environments. Its not an open world game and the DEV team has a good track record. I would bet it looks that good on high end systems and next-gen consoles.

Neff

This right here is why I like 3rd person survival horror games waaaaay more than first person.

Yep. Seeing the distance between your character and the enemy slowly shrink and watching them lay their horrible gooey paws on you is so much more horrifying than it just getting bigger until it fills the screen with polygons. I think first person horror games work well but third person is always the definitive way to do it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yep. Seeing the distance between your character and the enemy slowly shrink and watching them lay their horrible gooey paws on you is so much more horrifying than it just getting bigger until it fills the screen with polygons. I think first person horror games work well but third person is always the definitive way to do it.
Not only that, you see your character move and fight in the world with detail animation which to me is way more impactful than seeing camera and pair of hands hovering in first person horror.....it just not the same for me.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Not only that, you see your character move and fight in the world with detail animation which to me is way more impactful than seeing camera and pair of hands hovering in first person horror.....it just the same for me.
Both have their strengths. 1st person can amplify the claustrophobic environments. The Baker mansion in RE7 is so damn spooky because it's tight and in first person. The Spencer mansion in first person would be amazingly atmospheric.

And at the same time, watching Isaac's Jacob's armored body move around and his reaction to hits and attacks also gives you an amazing sense of awesomeness and dread at the same time. Plus, it's always tremendously gory to see a monster literally nomnoming your head instead of a shaky cam accompanied by a red screen and your character's scream.

Danjin44

Both have their strengths. 1st person can amplify the claustrophobic environments. The Baker mansion in RE7 is so damn spooky because it's tight and in first person. The Spencer mansion in first person would be amazingly atmospheric.

And at the same time, watching Isaac's Jacob's armored body move around and his reaction to hits and attacks also gives you an amazing sense of awesomeness and dread at the same time. Plus, it's always tremendously gory to see a monster literally nomnoming your head instead of a shaky cam accompanied by a red screen and your character's scream.
I understand were you coming from but for me personally 3rd person in survival horror miles better.

I hope to god Silent Hill or its spiritual successor won’t go FPS route like RE7&8.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I understand were you coming from but for me personally 3rd person in survival horror miles better.

I hope to god Silent Hill or its spiritual successor dont got FPS route like RE7&8.
I get it. Ironically, SH the Room's scariest segments were the 1st person ones in the apartment for me. I think the Room and PT must have been the last Survival Horror games that really made me want to turn off the game because my heart was racing. While I love, love, LOVE Dead Space, it never really scared me. Isaac was too damn powerful.
RE7 was really scary until you got a gun. That first hour was amazing though.
For me it stopped being scary after I 'killed' Jack with the chainsaw. Still fun as hell, though.

Nickolaidas

BTW, there are weird jumpcuts in this video, like here , where it goes from this frame:

h5bOLew.png

to this supposedly next one:

RVMMyKG.png

:pie_thinking:

I don't think they're trying to deceive us, they probably cropped the video either due to a bug that ruined the gameplay's seemlessness, or the player fucked up and they wanted to re-shoot it.

But yeah, the video is definitely cropped at that point. I just don't think it's because of something malicious.

Stuart360

Wow, its the complete opposite for me. I have zero problems playing 3rd person horror games, but i',m a wreck with some first person ones lol. For me playing a horror game where you are seeing through the eyes, well its way scarier than simply controlling a character on screen.

Danjin44

Wow, its the complete opposite for me. I have zero problems playing 3rd person horror games, but i',m a wreck with some first person ones lol. For me playing a horror game where you are seeing through the eyes, well its way scarier than simply controlling a character on screen.
Maybe little hard to explain but for me I get much intense and horror feeling when I see the character I'm controlling gets brutally killed.
onZrEhy.gif

b3BDCRT.gif

You just dont get that in most first person horror games.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Despite being less unique than the Necromorphs, I appreciate they at least seem to be going to the gym more often. That undead is JACKED.

Plus, honestly all that continuously makes me forget we're also going to be fighting MOTHERFUCKING ROBOTS!!!

x2Tzi7E.png

Nickolaidas

Honestly the enemy designs is not bad at all, they can look disturbing as fuck.
callistoprotocol.jpg

FTjDD81XEAYPB5a
Oh they are - but I just think that their anatomy is less unique, based on what we've seen so far - of course.

I mean, you see the above and you think 'umm ... Carpenter's The Thing? A new zombie game? Umm ...'

And you see this ...

4E126Es.png
rVEYQIQ.png

And you immediately say 'Dead Space'. As enemies, they are a LOT more identifiable and unique than the basic grunt of Callisto, who looks like he was taken out of the newest Doom game.

Vaelka

To me it’s basically similar to how Dark Souls is spiritual successor to Demons Souls even tho they considered different IP.

Yeah that's true, I didn't mean it in a negative way it just kinda took me by surprise and made me confused at first.

I thought it was a Dead Space sequel or spin-off at first.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Oh they are - but I just think that their anatomy is less unique, based on what we've seen so far - of course.

I mean, you see the above and you think 'umm ... Carpenter's The Thing? A new zombie game? Umm ...'

And you see this ...

4E126Es.png
rVEYQIQ.png

And you immediately say 'Dead Space'. As enemies, they are a LOT more identifiable and unique than the basic grunt of Callisto, who looks like he was taken out of the newest Doom game.

Yeah the Necromorphs are great creature design. I still hope EA continues Dead Space and gives it to a quality developer.

Last edited:

Rambone

The cover should be the monster biting the

Yeah the Necromorphs are great creature design. I still hope EA continues Dead Space and gives it to a quality developer.

They are doing a remake of the first game. I can only assume if it does well that they will continue to invest in the series.

Danjin44

I quickly made a few alternate ones just for fun.

The great thing about original Dead Space's cover is its simple but super effective telling you what type of game it is and its setting and more importantly showing you its horror game.

If I never saw any trailer from Callisto and just looking at cover, I would mistaken the game to a marine shooter. The cover tells me nothing about true nature of the game.

The problem is these days marketing people trying too hard to make the covers look as neutral and inoffensive as possible which result is the cover looking suuuuuper dull.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

The great thing about original Dead Space's cover is its simple but super effective telling you what type of game it is and its setting and more importantly showing you its horror game.

If I never saw any trailer from Callisto and just looking at cover, I would mistaken the game to a marine shooter. The cover tells me nothing about true nature of the game.

The problem is these days marketing people trying too hard to make the covers look as neutral and inoffensive as possible which result is the cover looking suuuuuper dull.
If it was released in the nineties and it was a magazine ad (the Dead Space 1 cover, that is), there would a slogan on the bottom ... "CAN YOU GIVE HIM A HAND?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom