• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The E3 2006 Meetup Thread - Now with bar meet-up details!!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
No E3 for me - last minute project whack-a-mole. :(

Have fun CK, Wasabi...save my booze vouchers for next year, would ya?

Link

The Autumn Wind
bishoptl said:
No E3 for me - last minute project whack-a-mole. :(

Have fun CK, Wasabi...save my booze vouchers for next year, would ya?
It just won't be the same without you there, slowly getting us loaded.

Teddman

OK, last ditch effort to schedule some kind of cocktail meet-up. Which is better, Monday or Tuesday?

Monday I have a meeting until 10PM, Tuesday I have eFocus until around 9 or 10 PM, so I'm in the same boat both days. I will show up fashionably late, but I will make it. Like Kobun Heat style last year.

Actually, on second thought, let's NOT do the Cabo Cantina again. They're only open until midnight. :/

We could try the Corona Cantina, which is just east up the Strip from the Cabo Cantina, and is very similar in that's it's a Mexican dive bar (even moreso) but features a six-hour happy hour from 4PM to 10PM with 2-for-1 drinks. And it's open until 2AM. :D

It's right across the Strip from the famous Chateau Marmont hotel.

Vark

Teddman said:
OK, last ditch effort to schedule some kind of cocktail meet-up. Which is better, Monday or Tuesday?

Monday I have a meeting until 10PM, Tuesday I have eFocus until around 9 or 10 PM, so I'm in the same boat both days. I will show up fashionably late, but I will make it. Like Kobun Heat style last year.

Actually, on second thought, let's NOT do the Cabo Cantina again. They're only open until midnight. :/

We could try the Corona Cantina, which is just east up the Strip from the Cabo Cantina, and is very similar in that's it's a Mexican dive bar (even moreso) but features a six-hour happy hour from 4PM to 10PM with 2-for-1 drinks. And it's open until 2AM. :D

It's right across the Strip from the famous Chateau Marmont hotel.

I'm good for Tuesday. Monday I won't be in town.

Teddman

Alright! Now we just need to settle on Monday or Tuesday. I could go either way... Monday might be better tho becase I won't be coming from eFocus downtown.

Let's do it Monday? If enough people pull for Tuesday though, I'll go with majority rule.

State your preference! :)

Teddman

Also found this for all you party crashers! Good luck next week bargining into a different club each night... I mean, of course we're all on the lists! ;)

E3 2006 Party Listing

I see that this open party (means pay for your own booze) has been moved to Monday. It's open to everyone and is aimed at game writers or forum hounds. Should we just lump our meet in with it?

UPDATE: 5/1/06 NEW DATE AND TIME To better avoid conflicting with other events at the show, we have decided to move the second Annual Not an E3 Party to Monday, May 10, 2006, starting at 8 p.m. (when the bar opens) and going until as long as people want (or 2 a.m., when the bar closes). This information has been updated below. The location is still the same: The Golden Gopher Bar on Eight Street, just blocks from the convention center and a quick jaunt down Route 10 from Sony’s Monday press conference.

Hopefully this doesn’t mess with your pre-conference plans and hopefully you’ll be ready to get drunk in advance of the official unveiling for the Wii on Tuesday morning. If you know someone who is planning on going, please make sure they get this information — I don’t want anyone showing up on Wednesday night asking “where’s the party?” Thanks for bearing with us, and we hope to see you there.

Teddman

OK, informally I will say let's do the Corona Cantina GA Cocktail Meetup on TUESDAY.

Corona Cantina
8210 Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Around 8PM (I will show up between 10-11PM most likely due to an evening meeting)

NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE CABO CANTINA WE WENT TO LAST YEAR.
But it's very close nearby, a couple blocks east on the Sunset Strip, across from the Chateau Marmont Hotel.

And then there is the Golden Gopher "Not an E3 Party Party" thing listed above on MONDAY.

Golden Gopher
417 W Eighth St
Los Angeles, CA 90014-3000

Can't make one of them? Then make the other! This should be a good solution to accomodate everyone.

Odds are I may make both. :D

Mods, can we get a thread title edit to reflect something like "Now with bar meet-up details"?

El Papa

Hey, I don't mean to confuse things but I was thinking that if you want to get a place closer to Downtown there there's a place in Chinatown called Mountain Bar. It's supposed to be hip and chill, I'm actually gonna go there right now to check it out. It's open till 2AM and it's right down the street from a Metro Rail station (the Chinatown station). So if enough people pull for a Tuesday, here's an alternate place for you to keep in mind. Not sure if it's the kind of scene you're looking for, but here's the link so you can check it out.

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/37949123#editorialreview

I would have PMed this but you inbox if full. :D

Teddman

Cool, yeah if everyone wants to meet downtown instead, I understand. I just thought this way, we're keeping it in the same spot and type of place we did it last year, so it's easy to find if you were at the Cabo Cantina during E3 2005.

The only problem with the Mountain Bar is that it seems a little more swanky and reserved than the Corona Cantina, which on the othe hand will be a really loud, crazy scene with good drink prices. That was the best part of last year's meet, the place got really raucous.

Everybody post and state your preference so we can figure this out for Tuesday.

The Golden Gopher thing is what we can fall back on since it's all set in stone for Monday.

Cleared out a few PM's. :)

Thanks for the title edit!

Teddman

CORONA'S CANTINA Y'ALL POST IF YOU"RE GOING!

So, to sum up:

1. FIRST, there is the Golden Gopher "Not an E3 Party Party" thing on MONDAY.

Golden Gopher
417 W Eighth St
Los Angeles, CA 90014-3000
8:00PM

2. THEN, there is the Corona's Cantina GA Cocktail Meetup on TUESDAY.

Corona's Cantina
8210 Sunset Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Around 8PM (I will show up between 10-11PM most likely due to an evening meeting)

NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT THE CABO CANTINA WE WENT TO LAST YEAR.
But it's very close nearby, a couple blocks east on the Sunset Strip, across from the Chateau Marmont Hotel.

3. LAST, there is the Traditional GA E3 Meet inside the Convention Center on WEDNESDAY
(note: you can still make this even if you don't have an E3 badge. They don't check it unless you try to enter a hall, and this is in the outside hallway upstairs)

When: Wednesday, May 10th, 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM or so.

Where: Near the Media Hospitality Room (RM 515) on the 2nd floor of West Hall. Just take the escalators outside the main West Hall entrance and make a right. (thanks to BuddyC for the description)

Can't make one of them? Then make the other! This should be a good solution to accomodate everyone.

YOU CAN ATTEND ALL OF THESE EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO E3 ITSELF BUT ARE IN THE L.A. AREA.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Though I will be in town Monday, 24 takes greater precedence! Tuesday I will probably hit up the Cantina. Thanks for all the effort Ted!

And yes, you can attend the media hospitality Wednesday meetup even WITHOUT an E3 badge, so LA GAFfers, hop to it.

yeah im down. either night works for me. i obviously went ahead and scheduled nothing for next week.

anyways, BuddyC, you're 2 for 2 with picking bars on the west side, what's up with that?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'll be there ... don't know about the bar night though, but I'll try.

Someone call me to remind me about Tues night.

Edit: If you have my number.

BuddyC

phantomile co. said:
anyways, BuddyC, you're 2 for 2 with picking bars on the west side, what's up with that?
I had nothing to do with the bar selection this time around. Blame Teddman, he's the one that keeps suggesting them!

As for Tuesday, I'll try my best to be there. It's gonna be a pretty packed day though (Nintendo -> Microsoft -> Konami), so I may be a bit late, what with my newfound "get the work done before partying" attitude.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
bobbyconover said:
The bar meet-up is gonna be on the same night as two kick-ass game music shows? (Nintendo Rock Night and Bleep Bloop.)

:(

Oh fuck, that's right.

I gotta go to Bleep Bloop cuz it's my homeboy Jason.

boo7z

Damnit!!! I was planning on going to see the NBA and NHL playoffs. Lakers lost and Anaheim isn't playing until Sunday night (after E3). You guys are going to have to get me into some of these invite only parties.

:)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm just hoping no one changes the schedule between tonight and the rest of the week -- I leave soon, and I'll be netless for most of e3!

Kimi

eXxy said:
Wish I could be there. :(

Thanks to finals, I won't be arriving until Wednesday night. If anyone's at the ZD party, though, throw a beer at me. I'll be wandering the last two days.

Maybe I'll show up with a picture of exxy's hair.

ethelred

I'm not sure if I'll manage to get away to attend either of these things (the NGAF meetup or bar meet), but I'd certainly like to. I'll have the info written down so I can try to get there.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Alright, final headcount! Who's attending what?

Well and co. will be attending the noon GAF meetup, and we may or may not be hitting up the bar on Tuesday, depends what time Miguel gets in!

Maybe we could set up potential meetups on Thursday or Friday night. E3 is the only time so many Gaffers are together, might as well make the most of it. :D

Diablos

robertsan21 said:
just spent my first night in LA :)
You guys woulndt even wanna know where I am staying as its like a crackhous in hermosa beach haha

its´s crazy never been in a shitty hostel like this ever in fact its my first time in a hostel!

but today I am going to change place to a hotel on santa monica BLVD

so far I have enjoyed my stay but I was a bit afriad last night while sleeping in this hostel, there where people walking in the halls on drugs and looked really scary!

I aint used to see stuff like that so I and the twins where a bit afraid.

but I will be at E3 so count me in to the GAF meetup!

I am going to change hotels asoon as the twins wake up, its like 6am here and I am jetlaged
oh my god

:lol

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
robertsan21 said:
just spent my first night in LA :)
You guys woulndt even wanna know where I am staying as its like a crackhous in hermosa beach haha

its´s crazy never been in a shitty hostel like this ever in fact its my first time in a hostel!

but today I am going to change place to a hotel on santa monica BLVD

so far I have enjoyed my stay but I was a bit afriad last night while sleeping in this hostel, there where people walking in the halls on drugs and looked really scary!

I aint used to see stuff like that so I and the twins where a bit afraid.

but I will be at E3 so count me in to the GAF meetup!

I am going to change hotels asoon as the twins wake up, its like 6am here and I am jetlaged

:lol
Watch those twins of yours. Pimps love them some 'snow bunnies'.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dammit, it's a mini GAF Sports league meetup :/

I expect a mini-Madden Tournament with video/pictures. Fisticuffs are a necessary.

BuddyC

Hey Teddman, you hitting Square Enix in a few hours? I know some other GAF folk will be in attendance...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Oh God. 27th birthday plus E3 week = hell.

Where you bitches at tonight? If any of you Ziff / ex-Ziff lot are about, phone me or Kazdal and get yer arses down to Santa Monica for some free booze and party goodness.

Teddman

BuddyC said:
Hey Teddman, you hitting Square Enix in a few hours? I know some other GAF folk will be in attendance...
I wish. I'm actually working until Wednesday this year and ghosting all the press conferences. I can't be taking five vacation days every E3 any more. :(

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Aw, it's a shame I have to miss all you guys again :(

I won't be at E3 this year (too much stuff going on) and last year I had to miss the GAF meetup because I was stupid and forgot to take my medication. I have the worst luck :lol

Have fun, all of you that are at the show. :) I'll see you all next year, I promise!

boo7z

I'll be getting in around 5pm on Tuesday. Send me a PM if you want to hang out (I'm staying at the Omni).

bootz

Top Bottom