• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok guys I sunk close to 100 hours in Oblivion vanilla for 360.

I just got done building a nice PC and guess what I picked up at Target for 20 bucks. Yep, Oblivion. I want to play with some mods. Now I've wandered through several Elder Scrolls boards looking for suggested mods but I usually just end up confused, and with an excel sheet with 100+ mods on it.

I want to know FROM GAF what mods I should be using to maximize my entertainment with the PC GOTY edition?

I know you won't let me down gaf. I haven't installed the game yet and it will stay that way until I get some kick ass mods.

So GAF what should I download?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The guild quests, outside of the Dark Brotherhood aren't great outside of a few highlights, but they're worth playing if you like the game and there is still a lot to do. Most of my fun came from just traveling across the map and stumbling across dungeons/temples or really any other random stuff. Some of the quests were weak or uninteresting, but if you ignore the fast travel option and just go on foot so you can take your time and explore and see Cyrodil, I think you'll enjoy the game a lot more. Oblvion's strong point isn't that it has "kewl quests", it's that it has a huge, open world for you to search and plunder.

bengraven

RbBrdMan said:
Ok guys I sunk close to 100 hours in Oblivion vanilla for 360.

I just got done building a nice PC and guess what I picked up at Target for 20 bucks. Yep, Oblivion. I want to play with some mods. Now I've wandered through several Elder Scrolls boards looking for suggested mods but I usually just end up confused, and with an excel sheet with 100+ mods on it.

I want to know FROM GAF what mods I should be using to maximize my entertainment with the PC GOTY edition?

I know you won't let me down gaf. I haven't installed the game yet and it will stay that way until I get some kick ass mods.

So GAF what should I download?

Fuck I wish I was at home. I'd tell you my list. That said, shorter grass is a must mod. It makes the grass short so it's not only such a drain on your FPS, but it makes finding gear that drops there much easier to find. And IMHO it looks better.

The higher rez textures mod is a must.

The ambient sounds one of course.

I get a few good "better looking characters" mods.

Again, wish I was home.

ACE 1991 said:
If that's true, why play anything else in the game? :lol

I am shocked and appalled to find out that Solo is an Oblivion hater. The Thieves Guild questline is great and has the best ending of any of the questlines. Definitely do that one!

Solo

Sorry bro, but if Ive got to back a Bethesda RPG, its Fallout 3. Feels good, man. I prefer Mass Effect to both, for what its worth.

bengraven

Solo said:
Sorry bro, but if Ive got to back a Bethesda RPG, its Fallout 3. Feels good, man. I prefer Mass Effect to both, for what its worth.

I do have to agree that Fallout 3 improved on Oblivion, but it was also 3-4 years down the road from Oblivion and learned from several mistakes. (in fact, I wouldn't cry if they changed the traditional stat system from the Oblivion one to the Fallout style).

That said, I loved nearly every quest in FO3 and can't say the same about Oblivion.

Oblivion was a great game from a competent team that went on to make something even better.

Solo said:
We are going to have serious issues if you prefer Oblivion to Mass Effect, Sculli. SERIOUS ISSUES!

Not only do I prefer Oblivion to Mass Effect, but you might even say that I disliked Mass Effect. For a game that had so much great writing put toward its backstory and side-quests, it isn't a good sign when even that involvement isn't strong enough to make you endure the buggy action elements. I think I stopped playing ME on the second planet that required you to deploy the geometry-challenged rover.

Oblivion on the other hand was a delight to play and I enjoyed all the sidequests and quirks. Oblivion is probably my GotG alongside HALO 3 though, so it might not be fair to compare.

Solo

Scullibundo said:
Not only do I prefer Oblivion to Mass Effect, but you might even say that I disliked Mass Effect. For a game that had so much great writing put toward its backstory and side-quests, it isn't a good sign when even that involvement isn't strong enough to make you endure the buggy action elements. I think I stopped playing ME on the second planet that required you to deploy the geometry-challenged rover.

Oblivion on the other hand was a delight to play and I enjoyed all the sidequests and quirks. Oblivion is probably my GotG alongside HALO 3 though, so it might not be fair to compare.

I think its safe to say that while we agree on a great many OT matters (movies), we might not share gaming tastes. Mass Effect is probably MY GotG, alongside Bioshock.

ACE 1991

I think I'm going to go tackle the Dark Brotherhood questline now. I'm sick home from school :lol

On a side note however, I'm surprised at how well Oblivion's environments hold up graphically.

Solo said:
I think its safe to say that while we agree on a great many OT matters (movies), we might not share gaming tastes. Mass Effect is probably MY GotG, alongside Bioshock.

Yeah that looks the case. I don't often venture into the gaming side unless I'm required to post up Sonic 2D physics diagrams or reminisce about Shenmue.

Aurora

ACE 1991 said:
I think I'm going to go tackle the Dark Brotherhood questline now. I'm sick home from school :lol

On a side note however, I'm surprised at how well Oblivion's environments hold up graphically.
Enjoy. DB was amazing. Thief's Guild is worth a look too. Pretty entertaining itself.

Solo

The best quest in the whole game for me was the Dark Brotherhood one where you end up
killing that annoying motherfucker who was heckling at you from the cell across from yours in prison
. That was some cathartic shit right there.

bjork

Playing the PC one with a couple of mods (textures, etc), but is there a way to fully map the controls to a 360 pad? Movement with a pad and looking with a mouse kind of defeats the purpose of a pad, and I'm not really big on WASD.

DietRob

bjork said:
It's partial. You can move and attack, etc. But if you want to look or turn, too bad.

Game Pad Functionality

Although the PC version of Oblivion handles best when played with a keyboard and mouse, it is possible to play the game with an assortment of game pads as well. Due to the variance in these game pads, it may be necessary to make a few changes to the Oblivion.ini file located in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion. Below is a list of the settings that can be changed to make a Xbox 360 controller attached to a PC, function better with Oblivion. It should be noted however, that because the PC version of the game was optimized to play with a keyboard and mouse, the experience will NOT be the same, as using a 360 controller on the Xbox 360 version of the game. Additionally, these settings can be applied to other game pads, but the values represented may need to be tweaked further. Finally, the mapping of the buttons will need to be determined when entering the game, and can be changed in Options - Controls, from the Main Menu - Do NOT map the directional controls (Forward, Backward, Left, Right), as this will overwrite certain changes made in the Oblivion.ini file.

These are the default settings in the Oblivion.ini:
;X = 1, Y = 2, Z = 3, XRot = 4, YRot = 5, ZRot = 6
iJoystickMoveFrontBack=2
iJoystickMoveLeftRight=1
fJoystickMoveFBMult=1.0000
fJoystickMoveLRMult=1.0000
iJoystickLookUpDown=6
iJoystickLookLeftRight=3
fJoystickLookUDMult=0.0020
fJoystickLookLRMult=0.0020

Change to these values to get better functionality from a 360 game pad connected to a PC.
;X = 1, Y = 2, Z = 3, XRot = 4, YRot = 5, ZRot = 6
iJoystickMoveFrontBack=2
iJoystickMoveLeftRight=1
fJoystickMoveFBMult=2.0000
fJoystickMoveLRMult=2.0000
iJoystickLookUpDown=5
iJoystickLookLeftRight=4
fJoystickLookUDMult=0.7500
fJoystickLookLRMult=0.7500

Make sure the settings are saved. Note, changes to the Oblivion.ini file will not be saved if Oblivion is running when the changes are made.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=274228

DietRob

bjork said:
Did that, it didn't change the right stick's function at all.

Sorry bro I haven't tried it myself. I use the kb/m. Are you using a usb 360 controller or something else?

Are you patched to 1.2 right? Just some googling and reading it seems that 1.2 update helped with controller functionality.

bjork

Yeah, usb 360 pad, everything is current. But if it doesn't work I guess it's ok, I just need to get used to the KB. :shrug

DietRob

bjork said:
Yeah, usb 360 pad, everything is current. But if it doesn't work I guess it's ok, I just need to get used to the KB. :shrug

Just think of it as playing on the Ultra Hard setting. :lol

I have been a console player for decades. Only recently started playing on PC. I admit there is a massive barrier to get over when adapting to the kb/m but the breakthrough is like an epiphany in gaming for me. Believe.

HBP

Ok so I got the PS3 GOTY edition the other day and so far I love it, I had played this game some when it came out but didn't make it too far.

I have done a little of the main quest but have been mostly doing the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest.

How do you do the Knight of the Nine and Shivering Isles quests? Which one is better?

OLyonnais10

Neo Member
^ for shivering isles u have to swim to the island which i believe is in the lake near imperial city (theres a building with 4 different heads on there).. i tried it.. its pretty trippy, difficult too .. very different

knight of the nine, i think temple in the sky all the way to the north .. though im not sure on this .. eventhough i completed all of them in the temple of the sky, never knew if it was the knight of the nine quests :S

still my favorite game of all time

If you've installed the GOTY content on the PS3, if you have the standard Oblivion disk will it run the GOTY content still?

I had the GOTY edition but traded it in, now I fancy playing it again but can only find the standard edition.

Effect

Considering ordering the GOTY edition soon for the PS3. Been putting it off for a while and it a purchase I meant to buy a few weeks ago. Is all the DLC avaliable for the PS3 or is it missing some things?

Also will any new DLC be going or is what is out now it and they are focusing on Elders Scroll 5?

Effect said:
Considering ordering the GOTY edition soon for the PS3. Been putting it off for a while and it a purchase I meant to buy a few weeks ago. Is all the DLC avaliable for the PS3 or is it missing some things?

Also will any new DLC be going or is what is out now it and they are focusing on Elders Scroll 5?

I don't think you will be seeing any more DLC for Oblivion. As for the PS3 version, I am pretty sure GOTY comes with both Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles. I think PC version is superior though, in terms of content as well. Correct me if I am wrong.

rataven

Effect said:

The PS3 GotY edition does come with the expansions as mentioned, which are pretty good and definitely worth playing through. The smaller add-on content, like Vile Lair and the Wizard's Tower, are only available on PC or 360 though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Effect said:

Just realize that if you do get the PS3 version and want to become a vampire, that you'll want to play as a vampire throughout the rest of your play through (you get a bunch of perks for being a vampire but the biggest annoying negative is having to feed constantly just to be able to walk around during the day. It isn't bad at first but it gets extremely annoying).

Effect

rataven said:
The PS3 GotY edition does come with the expansions as mentioned, which are pretty good and definitely worth playing through. The smaller add-on content, like Vile Lair and the Wizard's Tower, are only available on PC or 360 though.

That's what I was really wondering about. If those DLC were avaliable via the PSN store the way they are on the Xbox Live Marketplace. If not then I'll have to rethink things. I don't want to pick this up for the 360 as I have enough games on that system and my PS3 is the one where the library needs to be increased. If that content isn't there to be downloaded (the Wizard's Tower looked very interesting for example) though I guess I'll have to take a pass in the end.

Thanks.

bengraven

Holy lore-gasm.

I just read the first three pages of the Elder Scrolls novel, The Infernal City, on Amazon. In just those three pages we have references to:

* Niben
* Summerset Isles
* Morrowind
* Khajiit, Ne Quin-alian, Cathay Raht
* skooma
* Oblivion gates
* Leyawiin
* Martin
* Chorrol

Do NOT read this book unless you're serious about the Elder Scrolls.

I'm playing the PS3 GotY and I'm having a blast with my assassin.

A question - where can I find a nice dagger or a shortsword? I'm using a worthless piece of junk and would prefer something of dedric/epic origin. :lol

Saw this was bumped and wanted to stop in and let everyone know that I'm playing through the 360 GOTY version. It's so legit. Except for the fact that I got turned into a Vampire and now I have to go on this epic quest to heal myself. Fuck vampirism.

HBP

backflip10019 said:
Saw this was bumped and wanted to stop in and let everyone know that I'm playing through the 360 GOTY version. It's so legit. Except for the fact that I got turned into a Vampire and now I have to go on this epic quest to heal myself. Fuck vampirism.

If it hasn't been 3 days since you got the message you can take a potion to get rid of it or pray at an altar.

DCX

DCX
I just started playing this not to long ago ( trying to clear my backlog ) loving it this time around, i was overwhelmed the first go around that it put me off. I'm stuck in one of the fighter's guild quest trying to deliver ectoplasm :( I can't seem to find any of that shit, i bought one in some store. I need five i have like 2 :(

DCX

backflip10019 said:
Vampirism is fun for a minute, but then you look in a mirror and you see Robert Pattinson and you say "this shit is just out of hand."

Seriously now, I think it ought to make you uglier and more loathsome the longer you've gone w/o blood. Instead people just run away from you more.

But yeah, agreed, epic. I loved that game.

HBP

DCX said:
I just started playing this not to long ago ( trying to clear my backlog ) loving it this time around, i was overwhelmed the first go around that it put me off. I'm stuck in one of the fighter's guild quest trying to deliver ectoplasm :( I can't seem to find any of that shit, i bought one in some store. I need five i have like 2 :(

DCX

Use the Oblivion Wiki if you get stuck, it's pretty amazing.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

JoeBoy101

bengraven said:
Holy lore-gasm.

I just read the first three pages of the Elder Scrolls novel, The Infernal City, on Amazon. In just those three pages we have references to:

* Niben
* Summerset Isles
* Morrowind
* Khajiit, Ne Quin-alian, Cathay Raht
* skooma
* Oblivion gates
* Leyawiin
* Martin
* Chorrol

Do NOT read this book unless you're serious about the Elder Scrolls.

I am shamed that I know what all that is. :-(

Metiphis

Just started playing this again as I am trying to get my WoW addicted little sister (11 years old) to branch into console games. Seemed like a great icebreaker game as it is fantasy and free roaming.

MotherFan

Ceebs said:
Other than the FCOM stuff are there any other must have mods?

Start with these:
Qarl's texture Pack (there is a redimized version if this is too hard on your gpu. Looks good with minimal differences): http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=18498
OOO (in FCOM though)
Oblivion Stutter remover: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23208
Lost Spires: http://www.lostspires.com/
Supreme magika: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=12466
Mannimarco revisited: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14200
Frastcrag reborn: http://www.frostcragreborn.com/
OBSE: http://obse.silverlock.org/
Oblivion Mod Manager: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097
Lost Paladin's of the Divine: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10505
Low Poly Grass (so you can have better frame rates if gpu is stressed or so you can toss in more AA): http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5434

Those are some of the must haves imo

Also there is an explanation on mod load order as the order in which the game loads mods can be important.

http://devnull.sweetdanger.net/loadorder.html

The elder scroll nexus is a very good site to look around as it has TONS of good mods.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I've rolled a few characters (mages mostly) and played 2-3 hours, but I could never get past that point before putting the game down. I have the PS3 port, and using spells was not especially intuitive on a gamepad. What non-mage class would a veteran recommend? I think I want to focus on ranged combat because wildly swinging the sword didn't do it for me.

HiResDes

Guileless said:
I've rolled a few characters (mages mostly) and played 2-3 hours, but I could never get past that point before putting the game down. I have the PS3 port, and using spells was not especially intuitive on a gamepad. What non-mage class would a veteran recommend? I think I want to focus on ranged combat because wildly swinging the sword didn't do it for me.
Heavy armored melee guys are probably the easiest to play, but if you get your stealth up with any rogue type character you'll be truly unstoppable.

Ceebs said:
Other than the FCOM stuff are there any other must have mods?

Oblivion XP

turns oblivion's skill advancement system of "whack a mud crab 400 times to level blade skill" into a more classic system of getting xp for kills and quests, and discovering locations and then leveling up and assigning points to the skills/stats you want.

Top Bottom