• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier |OT| Cap's Best Friends

Spoog

Banned
HUH?
Please explain what you mean?

It literally doesn't matter anymore, these people are just so desperate to be oppressed and offended they watch entire 40 minute shows just waiting for something to show up they can spin into something to cry about online. I can't imagine how sad a life that must be.

Anyway, I still haven't seen episode three yet. Seems like it ups the pace a little which kinda sucks as I prefer the TV shows to mostly explore the character moments more with the movies doing the reverse.

e&e

Banned
tumblr_o6y0umXJZE1qire1qo1_500.gif
Was wondering what that scene in the Latest episode was referencing! 🤣🤣😂

Edit: And my take on the bank scene I saw could be taken 2 ways: Vets having a bad shake at life after the military or less likely giving POC loans especially during after big events happen that may have destroyed the economy like the Blip!

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

The last episode foreshadowed a lot of storyline by introducing new(old) characters and location.

That small taste of old money brought to mind DOOM. Saw him being talked about in a couple articles too.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Show is having a really hard time selling me that Falcon is going to be the next Cap. To be fair, his whole MCU appearances hardly manages do it either.
If he actually takes on the mantle then it'll be the most forced thing ever. I'm fine with Mackie and the Falcon character but he just doesn't have the required charisma.

Maybe I just don't like the idea of anyone replacing Cap. I wouldn't want Bucky in that role either.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
If he actually takes on the mantle then it'll be the most forced thing ever. I'm fine with Mackie and the Falcon character but he just doesn't have the required charisma.

Maybe I just don't like the idea of anyone replacing Cap. I wouldn't want Bucky in that role either.
Yeah, I expect many to sweep it under the rug of him being the bad guy when taking it from good guy John Walker. People are only against John because he’s not a main character.

Lupingosei

Banned
How is it possible that the Falcon is the worst character on his own show. It is not like the Witcher where they had to push the female characters (because Netflix duh), even every male character is more interesting than the Falcon.

Zemo and the Winter Soldier are way more interesting and fun characters than the Falcon. Actually, it should be a Zemo and Soldier show, how Soldier has to protect Zemo from everybody (even himself) wanting revenge on him while they have this very important mission together.

Falcon feels like a third wheel, not just in the last episode but in general.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
After reading your comments I'll give it a shot.

I enjoyed WandaVision but I wasn't initially interested in another "B-sides" characters series.

On that note I'm still waiting for "Porkins: A Star Wars Story".

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I like John too. It feels like either the show or the audience wants to hate him, but I don't have any reason to. Seems like a good dude to me. At least three episodes in. We will see if he takes a turn.

But you're going to need more than him calling Buck and Sam "Wingmen." Are we really supposed to be offended by that? They were Cap's wingmen, big deal.

Toons

Holy cow, episode 4 turned things up to eleven. John is following in his comic book routes. Sebastians acting is on point and Wyatt is killing it. Every episode ramps things up from the last and I am here for it.

Finally the real John Walker has arrived. About damn time. Shame about Battlestar but since they didn't show Walker's parents it was obvious Lemar's death would be the tipping point for him. I wanna see a solo US Agent show. Preferably R rated.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

SafeOrAlone

Banned
- Hell of a last shot

- Much better episode than the last one

- I'm really enjoying John and Lamar characters

- Action is a step below Winter Soldier, but there are some great shots, like Falcon breaking in through the ceiling glass

- The show is inconsistent so far, but the highs are great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupingosei

Banned
They could just rename the show in "Zemo is right". And he was the only one who was able to do, what Falcon and the others should have done, destroying the serum.

Everybody who wanted the serum is corrupted by it. Steve did not know what the serum was and never craved for it, that is why he was never corrupted by it, maybe that is also why Bucky might not getting corrupted by its power because he never wanted it either. He was not the Winter Soldier by choice.

Btw how many more people does she have to kill until they see her as the villain she is. Power corrupts the self-righteous revolutionary just as much as anybody else.

Halcyon

That was the first episode that made me want to see more of the show. I'm actually excited for next week now.

McCheese

Great episode, so glad they didn't neuter Zemo from villain super-genius to a weak sidekick - was expecting it to be like when you unlock a boss character in a game and they get nerfed.

#teamzemo

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the fact that Sam was trying to do things peacefully.... before hothead Agent walked into the room.

It's unfortunate that Bucky's core values are still so shaken that he allowed it to happen.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I like John too. It feels like either the show or the audience wants to hate him, but I don't have any reason to. Seems like a good dude to me. At least three episodes in. We will see if he takes a turn.

But you're going to need more than him calling Buck and Sam "Wingmen." Are we really supposed to be offended by that? They were Cap's wingmen, big deal.

You're missing the point of who each of the 3 characters are.

Sam wasn't a wingman. He was Cap's equal in bravery, morality and heart. He hangs with superheroes MUCH stronger than himself. And he doesn't become corrupted. They're both empathetic and try to use reason first if they can. They take the time to listen and think before acting.

Bucky is Cap's equal in physicality and they grew up together. Bucky matches Cap in almost every physical and mental ability.

John Walker is a man suffering from PTSD and the WEIGHT of the mantle of Captain America. From the first episode, there's inklings of him coming untethered... He's tempted to get, and eventually use, the super soldier serum. Before that, he constantly wants to flex his authority (like the flag smasher hideout in ep 2) and his being condescending to others whom he sees as beneath him. That's not how Steve was... That's now how he was Cap.

Wingmen don't have agency or hold their own and stand tall with the hero. Equals do. And that's what Sam and Bucky are: His Equals.

Edit: also something to note... Like the theme of grief in WandaVision, FATWS is about legacy, trauma of soldiers and finding your place.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
That's not how Steve was... That's now how he was Cap.
Different circumstances, Steve was paraded around as a champ from day one. John can’t even get support from Sam.

If the roles were reversed and Peggy was killed in front of Steve, there is no doubt he would have gone ape shit too and killed the terrorist responsible.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Different circumstances, Steve was paraded around as a champ from day one. John can’t even get support from Sam.

If the roles were reversed and Peggy was killed in front of Steve, there is no doubt he would have gone ape shit too and killed the terrorist responsible.

Bucky was his best friend who 'died' in Captain America 1. You didn't see Cap go ballistic and want to cave Red Skull's head in. Your argument is a bit flawed.

sol_bad

Cap was a show monkey from day 1 paraded around by a company selling war bonds. Steve has no support from the military or the government to start with, they didn't take him seriously.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Cap was a show monkey from day 1 paraded around by a company selling war bonds. Steve has no support from the military or the government to start with, they didn't take him seriously.
He was paraded but he was heavily supported by the military (Tommy Lee Jones in particular) and got to go on missions. John isn’t given anything but a title.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Tommy Lee Jones kicked him out of the military as soon as Dr Erskine was murdered. Cap was a stage show monkey until he took things into his own hands and proved himself.

Right. He wasn't allowed to go on missions or anything until after he freed 1000 soldiers from Hydra. An unsanctioned mission. He was just a propaganda tool until he did that

Last edited:
Top Bottom