• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier |OT| Cap's Best Friends

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
He at least gave him a chance.
John’s been thrown to the wolves from the get-go. His only support was Lemar.
...and the entire United States Government and Military, the press, the people, and perks like the ability to freely use a get out of jail free card for anyone he pleases.

Thrown to the wolves? The man has been coddled like a baby ever since being given the mantle, especially since he's exactly what the U.S. Government wanted, a yes man. He would have gladly left Bucky in a maximum security prison during Civil War and Zemo would have gotten away scott free.

Since you seem to like and defend his character so much, why not like a better former-soldier, gray-area, anti-hero like The Punisher? Not this fool.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You're missing the point of who each of the 3 characters are.

Sam wasn't a wingman. He was Cap's equal in bravery, morality and heart. He hangs with superheroes MUCH stronger than himself. And he doesn't become corrupted. They're both empathetic and try to use reason first if they can. They take the time to listen and think before acting.

Bucky is Cap's equal in physicality and they grew up together. Bucky matches Cap in almost every physical and mental ability.

John Walker is a man suffering from PTSD and the WEIGHT of the mantle of Captain America. From the first episode, there's inklings of him coming untethered... He's tempted to get, and eventually use, the super soldier serum. Before that, he constantly wants to flex his authority (like the flag smasher hideout in ep 2) and his being condescending to others whom he sees as beneath him. That's not how Steve was... That's now how he was Cap.

Wingmen don't have agency or hold their own and stand tall with the hero. Equals do. And that's what Sam and Bucky are: His Equals.

Edit: also something to note... Like the theme of grief in WandaVision, FATWS is about legacy, trauma of soldiers and finding your place.
It's fine to feel that way about Sam and Bucky, but John clearly meant no offense, so for Sam and the audience to brush him off, when context shows he is trying to live up to Cap's ideals, seems overactive.
I'm not negating, or rather, misunderstanding Sam and Bucky by saying that. I just think the reaction is blown out of proportion.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
...and the entire United States Government and Military, the press, the people, and perks like the ability to freely use a get out of jail free card for anyone he pleases.

Thrown to the wolves? The man has been coddled like a baby ever since being given the mantle, especially since he's exactly what the U.S. Government wanted, a yes man. He would have gladly left Bucky in a maximum security prison during Civil War and Zemo would have gotten away scott free.

Since you seem to like and defend his character so much, why not like a better former-soldier, gray-area, anti-hero like The Punisher? Not this fool.
Maybe you’ve read the comics and are expecting that stuff to go on behind the scenes. As a non-reader it looks like he’s been treated as a joke by everyone the entire time.

The Punisher isn’t in the MCU yet.

MrMephistoX

Okay this show officially became awesome in the last 60 seconds of ep 4. It was a slow burn but now it all makes sense. Kind of like how I wasn’t that into Wandavision the first 2 episodes but now I love them dearly.

KO7

Goodness me, what an episode! Florence Kasumba was great in this too. Loved the opening scene, the middle fight scene, and the ending of course. Spectacular stuff. I must have paused and then rewatched that opening scene at least 4 times before continuing the rest of the episode; so beautifully done, with multiple emotions conveyed perfectly over just a few minutes.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I read a comment on youtube:

"It's amazing how we watched Sam fight Hyrdra, other Avengers, aliens and Thanos, but we never felt scared for his life until he got confronted by cops. That says so much about the times we live in"

I can't even......FFS...
giphy.gif

Why are you scouring youtube for comments to make you upset? Why are you even looking at youtube comments at all?

pramod

Banned
The show is ok, but i feel like its trying to do way too much. So many charactera and subplots being thrown at us. Whereas Wandavision was like the opposite sort of like a slow burn. I still dont know what is the ultimate goal of the Flag Smashers or how they are going to accomplish it. I think Sam is right in that their goal is noble but violence isnt the way to get you there. They need to organize politically not try to blow up buildings.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
The show is ok, but i feel like its trying to do way too much. So many charactera and subplots being thrown at us. Whereas Wandavision was like the opposite sort of like a slow burn. I still dont know what is the ultimate goal of the Flag Smashers or how they are going to accomplish it. I think Sam is right in that their goal is noble but violence isnt the way to get you there. They need to organize politically not try to blow up buildings.
Yeah, agree about the flag smashers. (Stupid name too) The red head seems more like a child than a leader that has no idea what she’s doing.

1. Steal Super Soldier Serum
2. Create Super Strong Army
3. Burn People Alive For Attention
4. ...
5. Profit!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like you are the upset one.

This is just like how the only ones upset about the Red Skull and Jordan Peterson are activists who know it all backfired.
No you misunderstand, I'm not upset lol. I'm trying to help you. Don't bother reading youtube comments unless you're actively trying to anger yourself. It would be like going to twitter and searching up hashtags you dislike. Who would do that? It's not worth the trouble.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yeah, agree about the flag smashers. (Stupid name too) The red head seems more like a child than a leader that has no idea what she’s doing.

4. ...
5. Profit!

Still an upgrade from the comic book Flag-Smasher:
Rda0b33f6361c46dc35c3ea6aa6b40f5b

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Evil red eyes, big mace, big dick.

Definitely better than little Annie with her hockey mask.
Both can be bad. He looks like one of those knockoff toys you see sometimes that kind of looks like a character you might know, but something is off and cheap.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: KO7

pel1300

Have to say Sharon Carter feels like a different character. I feel like if the Russo brothers were in charge of this she would have been more likable.

It's almost kind of 4th wall breaking - Marvel failed to include her in Infinity War and Endgame.....so they just come up with this whole "Uh yeah all the Avengers just forgot about her and let her become a fugitive and she's pissed off".

Zemo also feels different. Like comic relief. It's like they are trying to make him into Loki 2.0.

Hate to be negative but I'm just not feeling it. The Winter Soldier and Civil War had me at the edge of my seat. This show is just.....mediocre. Tonally all over the places - at times it feels really Disney, at others a bit dark. I feel that Daredevil netflix puts it to shame.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Have to say Sharon Carter feels like a different character. I feel like if the Russo brothers were in charge of this she would have been more likable.

It's almost kind of 4th wall breaking - Marvel failed to include her in Infinity War and Endgame.....so they just come up with this whole "Uh yeah all the Avengers just forgot about her and let her become a fugitive and she's pissed off".

Zemo also feels different. Like comic relief. It's like they are trying to make him into Loki 2.0.

Hate to be negative but I'm just not feeling it. The Winter Soldier and Civil War had me at the edge of my seat. This show is just.....mediocre. Tonally all over the places - at times it feels really Disney, at others a bit dark. I feel that Daredevil netflix puts it to shame.

To be fair... the show doesn't have the same writers as WS, CW, Infinity War and Endgame... neither do they have the same directors. And that's ok. I'm actually looking forward to each episode. I get that you and others aren't. And that's perfectly valid.

sol_bad

To be fair... the show doesn't have the same writers as WS, CW, Infinity War and Endgame... neither do they have the same directors. And that's ok. I'm actually looking forward to each episode. I get that you and others aren't. And that's perfectly valid.

Sharon and Zemo didn't really have any characterisation in the movies either so we didn't know them. Most of Zemo's time on screen in Civil War was either him scheming or carrying out a task, it wasn't until he talked to Black Panther at the end that we started to learn a bit about him. Add to that the 7 year gap between Civil War and this show.

People change over time.
Sharon has been on the run for life so it make sense for her to harden up. And Zemo has had 7 years to come to grips with what happened to his family and accept it. He obviously still has issues as he doesn't hesitate to kill Nagel for example and his intelligence still shines through via him withholding info from Sam and Bucky as an example but he is a changed man.

Last edited:

Filth

I agree about zemo and sharon. i think the show is good but those two characters are not at all the same from the originals ones we watched.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I agree about zemo and sharon. i think the show is good but those two characters are not at all the same from the originals ones we watched.
I'm curious, what did you know about Zemo's personality in Civil War? His likes and dislikes? Did that movie even tell you that he's a baron? Did you watch some cut of the movie that others didn't?

fjfgoijiebz.jpeg

The show is fine, still prefer Wandavision. The two main leads are so boring. Zemo and Walker are my favorite parts of the show. Oh, and the freckled lady is incredible boring, zero charisma and presence as a villain. Terrible.
Kinda wish Walker goes all Homelander (from The Boys) and goes batshit insane.

Laieon

This is how I feel too. I was really into Wandavision from the get go and while I don't think it stuck the landing, I think overall it was really good. Falcon and the Winter Soldier has yet to grab me the same way, I absolutely agree with you that the biggest reason for that is that it's tonally all over the place. It almost feels like there's 2 different writing teams. The writing around flag smasher girl and friends has been especially bad, and what ever happened to Sam's friend from the first episode? They set him up like he was going to be playing a bigger part. For being one of the two title characters, Bucky just kind of feels like he's along for the ride and doesn't actually matter as far as the plot goes.

Last edited:

pel1300

This is how I feel too. I was really into Wandavision from the get go and while I don't think it stuck the landing, I think overall it was really good. Falcon and the Winter Soldier has yet to grab me the same way, I absolutely agree with you that the biggest reason for that is that it's tonally all over the place. It almost feels like there's 2 different writing teams. The writing around flag smasher girl and friends has been especially bad, and what ever happened to Sam's friend from the first episode? They set him up like he was going to be playing a bigger part. For being one of the two title characters, Bucky just kind of feels like he's along for the ride and doesn't actually matter as far as the plot goes.
Yeah I agree about Bucky. I think the Russo bros and Feige had big plans for him that for whatever reason they decided not to go through with.

Filth

I'm curious, what did you know about Zemo's personality in Civil War? His likes and dislikes? Did that movie even tell you that he's a baron? Did you watch some cut of the movie that others didn't?

fjfgoijiebz.jpeg
Im talking more about the acting / way he speaks. Not his history. For sharron she stole the shield and wings. The blip happened and all this time went by and she coudnt come back home? Thats not believable to me but this is a comic book show. It is what it is.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Im talking more about the acting / way he speaks. Not his history. For sharron she stole the shield and wings. The blip happened and all this time went by and she coudnt come back home? Thats not believable to me but this is a comic book show. It is what it is.
I thought she had close ties to Nick Fury as well who could easily bail her out but maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

Filth

I thought she had close ties to Nick Fury as well who could easily bail her out but maybe I’m just remembering wrong.
Yeah its just a weird take on her side story. But ever since captain marvel i think everyone is a skrull so maybe she is as well.

4. ...
5. Profit!

Hard to blame the writers too much when the original script had them basically stealing a virus to cause a pandemic which would reduce the population back to the blip levels. After coronavirus Disney forced them to to delay and re-work that with the now random terror attacks for no reason.

sol_bad

Bucky helped get Zemo out of jail.
He is also the connection between Zemo and Wakanda, if Bucky wasn't there the Dora Milaje would have taken Zemo back asap and he wouldn't have helped track down Nagel etc.
<__<

Fury did personally assign her to guarding Steve but SHIELD collapsed and Sharon changed to working for the CIA. No more contact with Fury.
When she stole Steve and Sam's gear she went against the Sokovian Accords and went on the run for 2 years just like Steve's team. Steve and co didn't have any backing from Fury either remember.
Then the snap happened.
And Fury he is currently up in space as far as we are aware dealing with bigger issues.

Dacon

Banned
This show is a boring mess of stupid writing and annoying characters.

I'm especially annoyed with the repeated focus on Sam's race(He's black so naturally we HAVE to make an issue of his race, bc that's all shit writers can think of when they see black people) , and the moronic way he keeps trying to fucking defend a cold blooded murderer, especially when he's had no problem killing terrorists in all of the movies leading up to this. Somehow he just all of a sudden sympathizes with this murdering psycho when he hadn't even met her outside of a fistfight.

The focus on this obnoxious redhead bitch has felt entirely forced, and the attempt to make viewers sympathize with her and her motives comes off as fake and empty. She's a fucking killer and a terrorist, there is no fucking excusing what she's done. None.

On the subject of Walker/Us Agent, this dudes story arc has been plain trash. He started out just wanting to do right by Cap and help people, and he's gotten nothing but disrespect from the main character, for doing literally nothing other than trying to live up to Cap's ideal. It wasn't until this episode that he did anything "wrong". He spent all his time trying to stop the terrorists and work with Sam and Bucky who absolutely REFUSED to play ball.

The Dora showing up like magic to possibly cause a massive international incident by murdering Captain America, in the name of their dead king who ironically SUPPORTED the Sokovia Accords is HILARIOUSLY stupid. They proclaim the entire world is their jurisdiction like true imperialists, and only serve to allow their target to literally just walk out of the room. So fucking dumb.

Still an upgrade from the comic book Flag-Smasher:
Rda0b33f6361c46dc35c3ea6aa6b40f5b

Flag Smasher may look fucking stupid but he's been in better stories than this dumbass show. WandaVision was way better than this garbage.

Last edited:
So let's predict the ending.

Sam has to defeat Psycho Walker / US Agent and becomes the true Captain America

White Wolf Bucky hunts down and captures Super Ginger but not before Zemo saves Bucky from certain death.

Zemo escapes and at the end credits scene delivers the final super soldier serum to Thunderbolt Ross!

Top Bottom