• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy 13 thread.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The graphics were amazing at the time. The music is still amazing as well. The only thing about the first game that I didn’t like was when you have to fight the summons to earn them as part of the story…. Those fights weee HARD

Krathoon

The graphics were amazing at the time. The music is still amazing as well. The only thing about the first game that I didn’t like was when you have to fight the summons to earn them as part of the story…. Those fights weee HARD
I liked that. The summons were boss battles. They were testing you.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll spell out what is happening in plain English for everyone. The FFXIII trilogy is amazing and is one of the most criminally underrated series in gaming. Every year that passes since its release you will see more threads from people finally catching up to where they were at a decade ago.

The series isn't 100% flawless, but it blows away most stuff at the time and today.

Just try to wrap your head around the layering of notes harmonizing in this track. Youre now 0.00001% on your way to appreciating this trilogy.

Last edited:
This thread makes me legitimately wonder if I would like FF13 better if I tried it out again many many moons later.

I recalled hating FF12 upon release, but replayed it many years later and found myself enjoying it a lot more.

Maybe I should give FF13 a try again when it's on a steep sale on steam.

Think it's probably on sale now, I'll see what's up.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This thread makes me legitimately wonder if I would like FF13 better if I tried it out again many many moons later.

I recalled hating FF12 upon release, but replayed it many years later and found myself enjoying it a lot more.

Maybe I should give FF13 a try again when it's on a steep sale on steam.

Think it's probably on sale now, I'll see what's up.
Top tier art design and music compared to all games ever made. Flawed but interesting story. Good battle system. Bad level design. Each entry gets better in the trilogy, and weirder.

Krathoon

The first game has essentially a chain of dungeons until you get to an overworld. It is kind of a weird design.
Did the second game have an overworld throughout the game?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm actually replaying XIII right now. 42 hours in and right in front of the boss of chapter nine, just got my full party, and they're maxed out to level 3 on the Crystarium (as high as you can go right now)

This battle system gets more and more addictive each time I play. I've been five starring like 94% of battles, and some of these enemy configurations get TRICKY, but it's so fucking rewarding thinking to a battle I played and lost seven times in a row in 2009 and how I beat it in 47 seconds now. There's a pretty steep learning curve to the Paradigm system, but it's basic rules are really easy to grasp, which makes a lot of people write it off as "playing itself," and "boring," when the reality is it gets more fluid the better mastery you have over it. The fact that you can spam auto battle and win 70% of trash mob fights isn't a testament to the mindlessness of the gameplay, but instead to how well the battle system is designed, if you ask me. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The first game has essentially a chain of dungeons until you get to an overworld. It is kind of a weird design.
Did the second game have an overworld throughout the game?
2nd game has semi-open worlds and a few complicated cities. 3rd game goes more open than the 2nd.

Krathoon

That is kind of the problem with the FF13 games. The game mechanics become kind of daunting. It think that it why FF15 went towards more of an MMO style of gameplay.

ssringo

The music is good and the art design and direction is nice. Don't necessarily have a problem with the linearity or overall story.

But my hatred for Hope and Snow overrides everything else. Each time I've tried to play through the game those two fucktards irritate me until I quit.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
lost-odyssey-2.jpg

What in the Fal'Cie Focus fuck is this nonsense?!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Still the best battle music of any FF and the visuals were insane, at least to me, at the time. But I feel like they never quite got the mechanics of pretty much anything right, and the first ten hours feel like one long tutorial a person has to brute force their way through to get to the better parts.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Still the best battle music of any FF and the visuals were insane, at least to me, at the time. But I feel like they never quite got the mechanics of pretty much anything right, and the first ten hours feel like one long tutorial a person has to brute force their way through to get to the better parts.

I didn't mind waiting until like chapter 11 for everything to open up so much. The only thing really "held back," until that point was having a full party and being able to choose members. Everyone could only use three of the six roles, but they were the three that that character specialized in anyway, so that wasn't a major loss for me. The only bit that felt superfluous to me was having two full chapters without the Paradigm or Cryatarium systems. One would have been enough of a tutorial for stagger mechanics and basic combat functions. Two was boring.

Neff

Great world and atmosphere, fantastic battle system. Production values through the roof for its time and honestly it still looks impressive.

If it had the usual staples of towns, mini-games (fuck you Nautilus) and exploration it would be up there with the all-time greats. But what it does, it does well.

I actually have to find were I put Lost Odesssy. Is that backwards compatible on Xbox One?

Yes, and with better load times.

Last edited:

Xeaker

I just remember I did not like the level up system, there was zero freedom in choice. Also no town or NPC to talk to.
Never played it again. The battle system was cool though and I liked the music.

SkylineRKR

FFXIII is extremely polished actually. The game plays and looks fine still, but there just isn't much to see. Corridor, combat, corridor. Story takes a nosedive and is already convoluted to begin with, Fal cie, l'cie, cie'th. Whatever.

I think vanilla is better than 2 though. 2 had more downtime but it felt like a B-game they scraped together. Combat also took a hit since there is 2 members and a monster. Its also siginificantly easier. XIII 2 was really haphazard. There wasnt a world, but rather fragments that served as levels. Never played LR.

Wonder what that user thinks now after all these years and with Sony's woke BS these days?

Well he certainly has more than enough to time to think things over, during soap collecting gigs.

Ah, its already being explained.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its a real shame that its harder to re-edit games than movies, because my opinion remains that the single biggest issue with XIII is its pacing and structure. All the fundamentals are solid, it just doesn't land as well as it should because its so over-extended. Especially in the first-half.

One of the reasons why XIII-2 is a lot more entertaining is that although its structure is scrappy and piecemeal, it simply flows better.

I never thought that XIII was bad per se, its just a game that for a variety of reasons just keeps getting in its own way. The story is good but its so obfuscated by jargon its hard to follow, characterization isn't bad but the beats are so spread apart by the number of threads being advanced simultaneously and with long gaps inbetween its hard to care. Even the battle system, which is generally a high-point, is let down by glacial progression at the start.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FFXIII is extremely polished actually. The game plays and looks fine still, but there just isn't much to see. Corridor, combat, corridor. Story takes a nosedive and is already convoluted to begin with, Fal cie, l'cie, cie'th. Whatever.

I think vanilla is better than 2 though. 2 had more downtime but it felt like a B-game they scraped together. Combat also took a hit since there is 2 members and a monster. Its also siginificantly easier. XIII 2 was really haphazard. There wasnt a world, but rather fragments that served as levels. Never played LR.

Well he certainly has more than enough to time to think things over, during soap collecting gigs.

Ah, its already being explained.
Agreed, XIII, for all its faults, at least felt like a complete game with lots of content and lack of bugs. Something that’s almost unheard of for a AAA game nowadays.

Also agree about XIII-2. What made XIII’s combat interesting is how well balanced it was. 2 gave you a lot more freedom in how you build your party (which is usually something I’d like), but as a result I never felt like I needed to learn and master everything it had to offer. Not like in XIII where every role, buff, debuff, status ailment etc was vital and had its uses even in non-boss battles.

base

Banned
The only problem with FFXIII was that Grand Pulse wasn't so big in the game. Mythology was OK yet not so good as in FFXV. Loved the battle system and music. The game's plot was great, only some characters were annoying.

Krathoon

The PC version of FF13-1 does this annoying thing where keyboard directions are in the tutorial.
Edit: It turns out that you can change it in the settings. Way to auto detect it, game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Is the Pulse L'Cie a false God? It seemed like a construct. I guess that may be revealed. It seemed like it was just testing them in that first fight.
I guess they flew the Pulse L'Cie into Cocoon?
I guess I need to read the strategy guide.

Top Bottom