• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Finals- true next gen multiplayer arrives

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Whelp, it's official everyone.

It's NextGen™.

certified-rubber-stamp-icon-business-certification-verification-approval-green-ink-transparent-background-213239383.jpg
He ain't wrong though. Coming from vanguard, 2042 and infinite, this looks like Mario 64

Raven77

I'd play this but still at 420 resolution here. My TV is busted and still haven't gotten a new one. I'm actually starting to like it next gen gaming on my CRT.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Should have just called the game Bullshot

A lot of this looks prerendered. No way it looks like that in real time.
People got to see it actually running.
The footage was captured from Alpha 1 Playtest.

Its also Unreal Engine, i dont know why people still look at Unreal Engine and think yeah this aint gonna look that good.
Unreal Engine rivals offline renders at this point.

As for the destruction.....the devs who are ex-DICE have finally hit the holy grail of destruction and managed to put all that destro server-side.

You wont even have to wait that long to give the game a go by the smell of things.
4J953gC.jpg

coffinbirth

Lol. What makes you think this is pre-rendered? This is as close to gameplay as its gonna get. It even has a disclaimer saying it's Alpha Footage. Have some faith dude jesus...
People got to see it actually running.
The footage was captured from Alpha 1 Playtest.

Its also Unreal Engine, i dont know why people still look at Unreal Engine and think yeah this aint gonna look that good.
Unreal Engine rivals offline renders at this point.

As for the destruction.....the devs who are ex-DICE have finally hit the holy grail of destruction and managed to put all that destro server-side.

You wont even have to wait that long to give the game a go by the smell of things.
4J953gC.jpg
brooklyn-bridge-prank-conmen-joey-skaggs.jpg

coffinbirth

I think it looks that good. They are ex-DICE devs. Remember how good BF3/BF4 looked like and played back years ago. They are really talented and well PC nowdays(PS5/XsX without last gen obstacles) are pretty powerful to produce this kind of destruction/physics..
I think what we are seeing here is not what an actual player would see. From camera angles to graphics and, arguably most importantly, the fluidity of the destruction. With all the destruction being server side, one assumes this is running across LAN, and not the internet, and this undoubtedly running on a $20K+ rendering rig, not a mortals toy, plus the aforementioned questionable camera angles and perfectly crisp graphics....it smells fishy, is all I'm saying.

Time will reveal the truth, until the actual gameplay, from actual gaming rigs, and actual networks handling this data is seen, I remain skeptical. Don't get the wrong idea, I'd love for this to be as amazing as they make it look, but this isn't my first bullshot rodeo.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m getting a seizure watching that trailer..

Looks OK, I need to see an actual match or something though.

clarky

Gold Member
Hopefully I get in the Alpha or some leaks gameplay, curious to see if this is as good as it looks.

Arachnid

Just found out the CEO of this new dev team that's making this game is Patrick Soderlund. That's the retard who said "If you don't like it, don't buy it" in regards to the whole ultra-woke BFV debacle. I'm all for a bit of wokeness, but fuck this guy lmao. Of course he took all of DICEs talent with him when EA kicked him. Never spending a dime on this game. Thank god it's F2P.

Last edited:
One thing I love is when I'm able to notice something is the 2.0 version of a past favorite. Look at the way they render destruction, it's eerily similar to BF3/4, they are definitely the same dudes

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't care about the fidelity of the graphics just keep that destruction.

It will definitely come to consoles. IIRC, this is their F2P game while Arc Raider is their big budget game.

That's incorrect.

Arc Raider is also F2P. Here is the quote from the official website - "ARC Raiders® is a free-to-play cooperative third-person shooter where you and your squad of Raiders unite to resist the onslaught of ARC – "

Last edited:
That trailer makes me sad. I wish we had these graphics and destruction for a good battlefield game/war game, not for another generic, whacky, cosmetics-driven (I assume) F2P Overwatch clone.
Just imagine this tech used for Bad Company 3!

Bleh more bland military shooters? No thanks

This is visually so much more interesting than any battlefield game. I’d be fine with CoD becoming the sole big military shooter from this point forward. Leave taht shit in the ps3/360 era

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Very reminiscent to how BF's destruction used to be like. I like the look of it.

lol...no its not.

I love the BF series, but dear god stop spreading this myth. I didn't spend a few hours in those games, try a few thousand hours and the destruction of this is on pair to beyond with what we saw from BFV and 2042.

For example, the floors being destructible while the building is intact was a feature from BFV, continued in 2042 where it got even more complex with physics based destruction as oppose to the pre-baked stuff in the past titles. So....some elements might see similar at first glance, but what this is showing is close to what the current BF does, not the past ones ie "used to be like" as that is completely false.

For example, you could not drive a tank 100% completely thru a structure in those older titles, you can in the newer titles.

So I think people exaggerate or get in their heads what they "think" that was back then and proceed to do this weird myth thing of pretend THAT was what it "used to be", but I've found no evidence to support this as I wasn't casually playing BF series, I would literally playing those games for 1000s of hours and still remember what was and wasn't supported in terms of destruction.

So I'd say, what we are seeing from this game fits the physics based stuff from 2042, not the baked stuff from those past titles.

FPS games need more destruction. FULL destruction.
Like, the game becomes increasingly chaotic the longer the match is.
By the end of the match half the map if not the entire map is leveled.
I want a full fucking bonkers extremely fast-paced free for all death match.

doubt.

The reason why DICE never allowed that is the same reason why Embark won't allow that either, so.....unlikely.
I think what we are seeing here is not what an actual player would see. From camera angles to graphics and, arguably most importantly, the fluidity of the destruction. With all the destruction being server side, one assumes this is running across LAN, and not the internet, and this undoubtedly running on a $20K+ rendering rig, not a mortals toy, plus the aforementioned questionable camera angles and perfectly crisp graphics....it smells fishy, is all I'm saying.

Time will reveal the truth, until the actual gameplay, from actual gaming rigs, and actual networks handling this data is seen, I remain skeptical. Don't get the wrong idea, I'd love for this to be as amazing as they make it look, but this isn't my first bullshot rodeo.

Agreed. With multiplayers, its hard to tell what will be a hit and what won't. I expect heavy downgrades, but I wonder more about how the game will play then anything else.

Just found out the CEO of this new dev team that's making this game is Patrick Soderlund. That's the retard who said "If you don't like it, don't buy it" in regards to the whole ultra-woke BFV debacle. I'm all for a bit of wokeness, but fuck this guy lmao. Of course he took all of DICEs talent with him when EA kicked him. Never spending a dime on this game. Thank god it's F2P.

Trust me, they will backpaddle, goal post and find a reason to pretend they hate it as soon as they find out, he is the wokeness from BFV lol

With this being Free to Play, its easy to check it out to see if its a hit or miss, but I suspect many are just trying to give fake praise now cause they don't know he is indeed the one who made those comments from BFV.

So this whole "THIS IS DA REAL DICE" will quickly change when they see who made this. I think maybe they though praising out of spite or something would some how make it seem as if one team's ideas was bad and this one has all the goodness or something lol They can both have issues, who knows.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Whoa that destruction is amazing

This.

The physics based destruction with being under the rubble as the roof comes down or the floor below you is very BF, but the structure of the game seems more like Overwatch or TF2, like small team based stuff with people with abilities

MCplayer

That is absolutely the TikTok of game trailers. I don't think that editor could have spliced in more footage if he tried!

I've had it on my wishlist for a little bit, I'll give it a shot on the 29th! Maybe make a TikTok or two... shoot me a follow, I'm "MyUncleWorks4Nintendo69"
It was probably the same editing tesm who made bf3 trailers

OZ9000

Banned
Graphics look insane. I'm also glad they haven't copied the garbage cartoon style that plagues most multiplayer games.

I'm very interested.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

You should probably post script that with he was EA GAMES head when DICE made Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 1.
Also, greenlit TitanFall, TitanFall 2, Star Wars Battlefront, Unravel and Mirrors Edge Catalyst.

He wasnt CEO of DICE when Battlefield V came out.......but Ill preface that BFV was actually awesome to play.
No one shouted woke at Battlefield 1, which also had women, black people and weird customization but the trailers werent "messy" so people who dont actually play Battlefield didnt have anything to bitch about.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Have people not realised that there is an opening in a game designed to try and emulate Team Fortress 2 in terms of genre rather than just try and create the exact same title that releases every other month in an oversaturated market of F2P competitive shooters with a WHACKY twist.

If the best the former Battlefield devs can come up with is Apex Legends mixed with Hyperscape I'm pretty sure the market is due anouther crash right about now.

Top Bottom