• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2020 |OT| Boring, but still bigger than E3 (18:30 ET // 15:30 PT // 23:30 GMT)

Kev Kev

Is it? The awkward moments during the show were kinda fun, but what's going on now is just sad. People bickering over a game awards show that doesn't even matter.
eh, i wouldnt call it bickering. most of us are just fucking around. its the ones who are coming in to point and laugh and get all heated that are really shitting the place up

the rest of us are at least enjoying ourselves

DonJorginho

Banned
Yeezus and Rodeo are fire
Two of my favourite albums of all time, some would call that bad taste but I just call it an ear for amazing music!

Travis Scott and Kanye West make the best playlist for Cyberpunk, I can't put into words how it feels driving through Night City listening to The Ends, Stargazing, Astrothunder, Hold My Liquor, Guilt Trip or FML

Game of the Year - The Last of Us Part II - I can agree with this one due to the sheer technical quality of the game.
Best Game Direction - The Last of Us Part II - Didn't half the studio really didn't like the direction he was taking the project ? Didn't half the fanbase hate the game ? Weren't they under scrutiny and publicly condemned for their crunch culture ? Isn't there a card in TLOU2 that describes Neil D "Once a well-respected researcher, Doctor Uckmann's questionable experiments in the realm of pushing human limits saw him ostracized from the scientific community " Guess it makes sense to glorify this...
Best Action Adventure Game - The Last of Us Part II - Think Ghost of Tsuchima should have won that one... C'mon it's not like ppl play TLOU2 for it's stealth and combat, they play for the story.
Best Narrative - The Last of Us Part II - Well it's a revenge flick with decisions half the community hates, but I would still give it to them, due to how strong of a narrative journey it goes through.
Best Performance - Laura Bailey as Abby in The Last of Us Part II - Think Ellie should have won that one. She had more range of acting, she sang ,etc...
Best Audio Design - The Last of Us Part II - Can't argue much with that one, there's some great sound design and great music in there.
Innovation in Accessibility - The Last of Us Part II - Still think the game designed solely for disabled people should have won... Instead of giving yet another award to TLOU2.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Game of the Year - The Last of Us Part II - I can agree with this one due to the sheer technical quality of the game.
Best Game Direction - The Last of Us Part II - Didn't half the studio really didn't like the direction he was taking the project ? Didn't half the fanbase hate the game ? Weren't they under scrutiny and publicly condemned for their crunch culture ? Isn't there a card in TLOU2 that describes Neil D "Once a well-respected researcher, Doctor Uckmann's questionable experiments in the realm of pushing human limits saw him ostracized from the scientific community " Guess it makes sense to glorify this...
Best Action Adventure Game - The Last of Us Part II - Think Ghost of Tsuchima should have won that one... C'mon it's not like ppl play TLOU2 for it's stealth and combat, they play for the story.
Best Narrative - The Last of Us Part II - Well it's a revenge flick with decisions half the community hates, but I would still give it to them, due to how strong of a narrative journey it goes on.
Best Performance - Laura Bailey as Abby in The Last of Us Part II - Think Ellie should have won that one. She had more range of acting, she sang ,etc...
Best Audio Design - The Last of Us Part II - Can't argue with that one.
Innovation in Accessibility - The Last of Us Part II - Still think the game designed solely for disabled people should have won...
what did you type up a log of the whole show? gonna put it under your pillow tonite and hope the druckman fairy cums all over it? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

im kidding obviously

Last edited:
It matters if you're a last of us fan. Imagine if it hadn't won. They'd be calling this show shit lol
They'd probably call the show misogynist, transphobic, and racist. For real though, when Keighley announced that Ghost won the fan vote, a lot of the replies were claiming that the vote was rigged by 4chan and misognists lmao. So yeah, you're right - no matter what, it would have been a shit show of reactions

More like there are plenty of mature people out there who want to play a great game. Not everyone is an immature little baby on the internet.
spoilers

Imagine if Thanos survived the snap, and then went on a killing spree and spared some of the avengers. That's about as silly and mature as tlous2.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You'd like that. Hiring someone like me that doesn't know how to make games would guarantee that they wouldn't win another GOTY award. They'd fall to the level of a lot of other mediocre game developers.
Are you multiple man? You would single handedly bring the studio down? That's impressive.

Naked Lunch

I keep sitting thru this shit but I guess modern gaming just aint for me. 99% trash.
The worst offender to me was the Ghouls n Ghosts cheapo flash graphics. The Genesis original looks 1000x better.

Woggleman

They should hire me for ideas. I already have an idea of how TLOU3 should go.

It should be ten years in to the future and Ellie is a hardened recluse living in a town similar to Bill. She doesn't like getting close to anybody. She gets word one day that Jackson was attacked by bandits so she goes to see what happened and she feels guilt for being away so long. Tommy is one of the survivors and by his leg has healed and can walk fine but wears an eye patch for the rest of his life. Tommy gets word that out in Mexica they are can develop a vaccine without killing the host but they need more immune people to help donate blood and plasma so her and Tommy set off to Mexica after they both get Dina and the baby to safety.

Her and Tommy end up bonding because they are both hardened and bitter survivors destroyed by the need for vengeance so they can relate to each other. They both see this as a chance at redemption and to make a positive mark in this world. Ellie actually told Tommy that she killed Abby and he believes her so it is a shock when they get to Mexico and Abby is involved with the group working on the cure. Her and Ellie will never be friends but they both realize that this is bigger than both of them so they work together. The vaccine works but everybody realizes humanity has a long way towards fully recovering.

This would be a way to end the trilogy on sort of a hopeful note. They should continue the series but with other characters.

Ol'Scratch

Sephiroth announcement was fantastic, from the announcement itself to the presentation.
Ghouls n Ghosts, depending on the price I am always up for it and it looked good and the Capcom arcade bits has me interested.
Dragon Age looks good and will be following.
Master chief and map for Fortnite? I am not the biggest Halo or Fortnite fan but this is fucking great.
New successor to L4D? Fucking great give me more fun horror to just enjoy without having to have some great angsty story.
I thought I would be a bit more excited for the Evil Dead movie since the franchise is a huge part of my life. Maybe because it came soon after the L4D thing is why I was not so excited. The character choices seemed kind of shit. Will still be right for it.
The Dead Space successor has potential, and I look forward to seeing more.
Crimson Desert may have potential but so far seems like a korean spooge of various open world games already out there.
The Bandai game Crimson Thread or whatever also felt kind of generic to me, but from what I saw it only had Xbox and Steam listed so it could be a fast Xbox grab to get some JRPG legs.
Perfect Dark, very much looking forward to.
That Vin Diesel garbage was seriously jarring and I think totally crashed the momentum of the night and it never recovered.

As far as award winners and losers, it went pretty much as I expected. I think their esports eye is very narrow though and should also look toward the FGC but they never do.
I have no love for Mass Effect so that did nothing for me, but I would think some will be hyped. It is hard to say these days because it is much easier and cooler to hate on everything.

Lupingosei

Banned
It's funny to me that the gaming industry so desperately wants to be hollywood with their "deep" stories but 95% of the games still end up with you as a murder machine shooting everything.

If they want to be as irrelevant as Hollywood and their award shows they have to continue like this.

Lupingosei

Banned

Isn't it curious how outside the sony digital store tlous2 is nowhere to be seen in the top 20 for october.

Even more curious, that you can get 2-3 Last of Us Part 2 copies for the same price of 1 copy of Ghost of Tsushima

Dabaus

Banned
Last we heard about last of us 2 sales is that it crossed 4 million and hasn’t been in the sales charts since. They can give it all the awards they want, promote druckmann to ceo of Sony if they want, call of us bigots and nazis all they want, this game under performed big time. God bless the leaker.

noise36

Why is GOT featured so heavily in the nominations when there are other games with much higher review scores that have been ignored? i.e. who decides what is nominated

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks God I missed it.
So boring with nothing interesting reveled.

I miss the old big E3 days.

BTW one more award to the masterpiece :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Last we heard about last of us 2 sales is that it crossed 4 million and hasn’t been in the sales charts since. They can give it all the awards they want, promote druckmann to ceo of Sony if they want, call of us bigots and nazis all they want, this game under performed big time. God bless the leaker.
It crossed 4 million at the very launch.
It is a record for any Sony exclusive.

Last edited:
It crossed 4 million at the very launch.
It is a record for any Sony exclusive.
It would be probably past 8-9million without the controversy by now.
?

Both have close prices... $30 and $40.
Must depend on location.

I've also seen the photos tlous2 unsold.

edit:
The Last of Us is one of the best-selling PlayStation 3 games, and Remastered is among the best-selling PlayStation 4 games. By August 2014, the game had sold eight million copies: seven million on PlayStation 3 and one million on PlayStation 4. By April 2018, the game sold 17 million copies across both consoles. -wiki

Let's see if the game reaches 10 Million. It'd probably be past 20 Million eventually without the controversy.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
s
Abby is a he who became a she or a she who became a he ?
smh the ignorance
Gotcha thx for clarifying, must be the post apocalyptic elk meat
EcIQRpmUYAAYO59.jpg

ss32gsvzg2751.jpg

Top Bottom