• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Boy Advance Was A Monster System

I still own my launch week bought GBA but not many games, sold the good ones ages ago like a fool but I still have a couple.

I loved my GBA player and still have it and it's boot up CD.

alf717

Lol I feel you. Also in retrospect the castlevania games on GBA were kinda shitty sans aria

Yeah the only series that was really worse on DS what happened? (mystery of emblem was okay I guess)

Some would argue Star Force as well. I only played the first one and I wasn't really thrilled with the battle system in the game. It was a step back in my mind. The 9x9 grids in the MMBN series felt better.

I would do almost anything to have the 3ds be compatible with GBA games legitimately. So many awesome games on the GBA... incredible little machine.

Man, this console really was pretty godlike. It was the first true backwards-compatible console, right?

I mean, IMO the GBC and GB were similar enough for that not to count. The GBA even had differently-shaped cartridges, but the old ones still ran just fine on it.

GBA is my favorite gaming device of all time. Has many of my all time favorite games on it, and contains basically my entire childhood. The reason I love gaming so much today is because of this little system. Also, SP>OG, that backlight was a godsend as a kid.

KingV

In retrospect, it is kind of shocking how great the library is considering the system only was really supported for a few years.

Nintendo was on fire I'm GBA development, and I think the relative ease of development for the system compared to PS2 and Gamecubr kept a fair number of third parties afloat.

I'm hoping switch can be a return to thst sort of system for Nintendo and the 3rd parties.

Madness

The SNES and the Game Boy Advance. The pinnacle of Nintendo gameplay. The era I love best and which holds up the best. Reminded me so much of the SNES. Loved all the GBA games.

Platy

Probably the biggest amount of awesome games per amount of total games.
it is like the entire life cycle was the last year of the snes.

The only sad thing is that it is the only nintendo console without a mainline mario

but Mario vs Dk 2 was AWESOME

I would do almost anything to have the 3ds be compatible with GBA games legitimately. So many awesome games on the GBA... incredible little machine.

Main reason why my DS is till up and running

HotHamBoy

Too many ports. I like my portable SNES games but it lacks the originality of the DS library

For those of you saying "too many ports," you have to remember that this was a huge step up from the GBC and pre-VC, portable SNES games was mind-blowing and highly desireable.

On top of that, it was the first time a lot of us had been able to play some of those SNES games.

Let's not forget, the DS also had a ton of retro ports/remakes. Damn thing launched with Mario 64.

It also had a shitty Warioware :p

And no Metroid or F-Zero!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
GBA was great you guys remember Warioware Twisted? That game was great.

HotHamBoy

As dumb as it sounds, playing THPS2 blew my mind when I bought mine near release. Sucks that was the same year my friends and I started high school and gave up on handhelds for whatever reason. I really should go back and start buying some games I missed. Sucks building the 3DS with GBA games playable wasn't the direction they went.

Not dumb, many of us were amazed by the polygonal skater. Plus, the game was so much better than it had any right to be.

Updated OP with a bit about the actual hardware

hampig

Two of the best Metroid games, some of the best Zelda games, some great Pokemon games, Fire Emblem, the best Harvest Moon, Mother 3, Pokemon Pinball, Tactics Ogre.

I don't play my Micro much, but I will never get ride of it due to just how many amazing games the system has.

HotHamBoy

Man, this console really was pretty godlike. It was the first true backwards-compatible console, right?

I mean, IMO the GBC and GB were similar enough for that not to count. The GBA even had differently-shaped cartridges, but the old ones still ran just fine on it.

Technically the GBC still counts, it's a completely different chip.

Either way, no. The PS2 was released a year earlier in Japan and played PS1 games.

nordique

Such a great system

It introduced me to the best side scrolling action series ever in Metroid (imo it's the best)

I would never have known super Metroid were it not for Fusion and zero mission.

It also introduced me to the Metroid vania Castlevania games. Oh they were beautiful as well. This made me discover symphony of the night as well

Advance wars, fire emblem, Mario advance, castlevania, iTony hawk, golden Sun, final Fantasy, mega man, pokemon, portable fifa, Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart, f zero, GTA, heck even Jackie Chan adventures lol.

Such a great system with great games.

NMFried

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the GBA, though the DS and 3DS libraries really are something to behold as well.

I'm so close to complete first party 3DS collection, yet part of me wants to start on GBA and DS now.

Madness

A piece of shit junkie had broken into our home and had stolen all my gba games along with my Xbox. Luckily he hadn't seen my gamecube. But I lost my original GBA purple and the light shield cover I had, all my games like Mario Kart super circuit, Metroid Fusion, Pokemon Sapphire, SMB2, so many more. Couldn't rebuy as much as insurance only covered a fraction and I felt I had already beat those and to get others instead. Just sucked. While I liked the frontlight of the SP. I never was used to how it felt as much as the original purple. By time Micro came I had moved on and didn't feel like buying another.

Just a few days ago I bought a bunch of GBA games and on the WiiU estoppel. They play great on the WiiU tablet.

Most of the games in the OP are available, highly recommend grabbing a few

ghibli99

I actually prefer the DS (Lite) since it has GBA BC, headphone jack, better screen, form factor, etc., but yeah, the GBA was my dream: basically a portable SNES, my all-time favorite console.

HotHamBoy

I just dropped $80 for an AGS-101 panel to mod my OG GBA

ex.
G7aEwhL.jpg

I really, really want this.

Did you do-it-yourself?

Is there any light bleed through the shell?

They sell them on Ebay for that price but I wonder how reliable a random seller is.

You're making me want to buy an SP again dammit.

I specifically made the thread because I've been looking to buy an Onyx SP. Used to have a Silver back in the day. Love my Micro but the screen is just a tad too small for these eyes (which sucks because I love the d-pad and face buttons).

I think I want a DS Lite, too. I can't remember how good the screen is, though. Used to have one butnthe hinge cracked, the triggers yellowed. Got rid of it.

I *was* eyeing one of those gorgeous powder blue DSi's until I remembered that they removed the GBA slot. So dumb. And of course, the DSi Ware shop is closed for good.

My GBA SP 101 is my favourite system ever. I wonder if there will ever be a handheld with a better collection of games. Crazy how many fantastic games were released. Also... the GBA graphics never seem to get old.

Hydrus

Gamewise it's the greatest portable system of all time imo. A lot claim that the DS is better, but I feel like the DS mostly had shovelware and the best games on the DS are nothing compared to the best on the GBA.

I'm sorry man, but no. Just a few DS games off the top of my head:

Pokemn DPPt
Pokemon HGSS
Pokemon BW
Pokemon BW2
World ends with you
Elite Beat Agents
Dragon Quest 5: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Chrono Trigger
List goes on and on...

Not to take away from the GBA, which I love, but the DS library is insane. The top ten Gba don't come close to the top 10 DS titles.

HotHamBoy

Pokemn DPPt
Pokemon HGSS
Pokemon BW
Pokemon BW2
World ends with you
Elite Beat Agents
Chrono Trigger
List goes on and on...

Not to take away from the GBA, which I love, but the DS library is insane. The top ten Gba don't come close to the top 10 DS titles.

Mother 3 is better than anything on the DS.

Also, who puts Portrait of Ruin over Dawn of Sorrow?

Pokemn DPPt
Pokemon HGSS
Pokemon BW
Pokemon BW2
World ends with you
Elite Beat Agents
Chrono Trigger
List goes on and on...

Quite a bold statement. Not saying the DS isn't great but the library of the GBA tops it for me personally. No 2D Metroid on DS is my main reason.

Hydrus

Mother 3 is better than anything on the DS.

Also, who puts Portrait of Ruin over Dawn of Sorrow?

Mother 3 was great if you played the translated ROM, but it was never officially released outside of Japan. I dont think it's fair since most of the world cant play it legally.

Dawn of Sorrow is just another great title in the insane DS library. I don't have time to sit here and make a greatest DS games list. That would take hours.

Dingotech

Nice topic OP.

I've been bitten by the GBA nostalgia bug recently myself. I ended up ordering myself a slightly used Red GBA Micro.

Currently I'm still waiting on it to arrive in the post and I'm hoping I haven't been screwed over... waiting for packages to ship during Christmas is tough!

Neonep

About a 2 months or so ago I went and picked up MMBN3 & MMBN5 and played through them. Even though I had already beat 3 YEARS ago and I've beat 5 about 3 times, still fantastic to play through. GBA is my favorite handheld and behind PS2 as my favorite system ever.

Hydrus

Quite a bold statement. Not saying the DS isn't great but the library of the GBA tops it for me personally. No 2D Metroid on DS is my main reason.

The fact alone that GBA had the worst mainline pokemon games, and the DS had the best, is a reason enough to put DS over the top. Cant be the GOAT handheld without amazing Pokemon games. Fire Red and Leaf green were great, but not enough to wash out the bad taste of RSE.

Neonep

The fact alone that GBA had the worst mainline pokemon games, and the DS had the best, is a reason enough to put DS over the top. Cant be the GOAT handheld without amazing Pokemon games. Fire Red and Leaf green were great, but not enough to wash out the bad taste of RSE.
Megaman negates that.

For beat'em up fans who own a GBA, I cannot recommend Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and TMNT enough. Seriously, two of the very best brawlers on any system.

Velcro Fly

The only downfall with the GBA is the propensity for fake carts. I know there are fake DS carts out there too but it seems like the GBA is just so rampant. Wanting to play both GBA FE games on original hardware is basically like dodging around a minefield. Amazon Warehouse Deals is generally reliable but sometimes they price things way too high for what you are getting.

But just thinking about my GBA collection I think I've played and beaten just about every game I own and I loved most of them all the way through.

Top Bottom