• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grand Tour |OT| ...of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

Christmas episode was excellent.

Celeb thing needs to go, and it's only the Conversation Street intro that I'm sick of.

They need to actually have celebs on. It would be a nice distraction from the usual act of three.

Nice last episode though. Better than the last few. The nice dig at Top Gear driving past the Cenotaph made me smile.

Hasney

They need to actually have celebs on. It would be a nice distraction from the usual act of three.

Nice last episode though. Better than the last few. The nice dig at Top Gear driving past the Cenotaph made me smile.

Nah, fuck the celebs. Always the piss break time on Top Gear.

raindoc

The only thing old TG's celeb part was good for were the hotties in the audience the PA's placed in the background of clarkson & the guest.

Nah. Watching old Top Gear eps and the celeb segments are a total drag.

The celeb segments were fun when they had something to do with cars. Like, I remember they had one guy on who couldn't actually drive, and his was GREAT. Matt LeBlanc, there was this hip hop guy who was starting an auto company... all pretty fun.

RoKKeR

Another great episode this week – the studio Christmas segment was hilarious and May's mini-documentary was really damn good.

The celeb segments were fun when they had something to do with cars. Like, I remember they had one guy on who couldn't actually drive, and his was GREAT. Matt LeBlanc, there was this hip hop guy who was starting an auto company... all pretty fun.

They obviously are doing it the way they are doing it for legal reasons.

LoveCake

I did like Jezza when he was (trying to) sing "Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before",

I thought that the Ford v Ferrari at LeMans was very good, however I think it may have been better if Jezza had done the Ford parts and James had done the Ferrari, now I know Jezza cannot fit in that LeMans wining GT40, but what he said was not true about not being able to drive one before due to not being able to fit inside one, because he has driven one before and loved it, he drove one with a bubble in the roof on his 1998 video 'The Most Outrageous Jeremy Clarkson Video in the World... Ever! ' I have had a look for this online but everywhere it's blocked, I used to have this on VHS.

Donos

Good ep. Great segment about the GT40. Even liked the American puns.
giphy.gif

Snippets for the namibia two parter are looking good too.

AniHawk

still waiting for a good comedic segment from this show. it's been a draining experience, from the shitty writing, to the backwards political views, to what constitutes challenges. you know what would literally be better than killing off celebrities every week? no segment at all. it was a bad joke in one episode and they're going to carry it for an entire season. not sure who or what's to blame either, and i have to wonder if they received more pushback from the bbc at top gear which resulted in something better than total creative freedom (if that's what they have with amazon).

i think the ford vs. ferrari segment was excellent and genuinely interesting. if the show became informative instead of trying to force comedy, it would justify itself and separate it more fully from top gear. the car reviews are still good too, and i don't say that as a car fan. they're genuinely edited and shown in ways that someone like myself can appreciate and understand why car fans enjoy cars.

Is there a set way to watch the christmas special? on my fire tv stick all I see is episode 1-6 which I have already watched.

Or have I made a mistake and it was part of ep6?

Lima

Is there a set way to watch the christmas special? on my fire tv stick all I see is episode 1-6 which I have already watched.

Episode 6 is the Christmas one.

The two part Namibia special (which has nothing to do with Christmas) comes out on the 30th and 31st. One part a day.

Kathian

Banned
still waiting for a good comedic segment from this show. it's been a draining experience, from the shitty writing, to the backwards political views, to what constitutes challenges. you know what would literally be better than killing off celebrities every week? no segment at all. it was a bad joke in one episode and they're going to carry it for an entire season. not sure who or what's to blame either, and i have to wonder if they received more pushback from the bbc at top gear which resulted in something better than total creative freedom (if that's what they have with amazon).

i think the ford vs. ferrari segment was excellent and genuinely interesting. if the show became informative instead of trying to force comedy, it would justify itself and separate it more fully from top gear. the car reviews are still good too, and i don't say that as a car fan. they're genuinely edited and shown in ways that someone like myself can appreciate and understand why car fans enjoy cars.

This is where Top Gear worked. They filmed a fuck load and it was always informative but where they had some fun stuff theyd make that the focus.

I think the money has been spent a bit too early on with this show. There's a lot of filler (take the celeb and studio stuff) and the content is streeetched.

I get it's called the Grand Tour but I'd suggest ditching the studio stuff as it's not really necessary. Heck cut the studio entirely and just make time for talk to camera (which they did a lot in top gear as well) when shooting.

That gives what, a few days extra on location for each episode?

I don't mind the tent stuff much at all, it's best when they mess with a car or something instead of eating chocolate but I still like those parts, maybe rewatching the episodes later on will give me a different opinion.

Episode 6 is the Christmas one.

The two part Namibia special (which has nothing to do with Christmas) comes out on the 30th and 31st. One part a day.

ah ok I was thinking christmas was a special ep on top of what we had, fair enough!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are we going to get to see more of that bit in the intro where they were driving a Fisker Karma, Boxster and Saab 900?
I think that's just something neat they do for every intro, driving 3 cars that are either from or bear some relation to the country that episode's tent is pitched in.

I think the tent is a pretty awesome idea and mostly works in execution, but they could limit the number of non-Conversation Street sections where they do a bit of a gag or demonstration. Those segments were pretty infrequent in Top Gear and it worked better that way because there was more to them. When they brought the V8 back into the studio it felt like they were retreading old ground because they had used V8s to make smoothies and I think do one other thing before.

---

IMO, the reasonable changes I'd make going from Season 1 to Season 2:

1) Give The American different schtick or at least better writing. He's not going anywhere because he's the foundation for their lap board and throwing him under the bus would just look bad on everyone.

2) More track reviews (vs. driving about on locations). There's a certain comfort to seeing cars whipped around the same environment.

3) If Celebrity Braincrash will be kept, have the actors doing a bit more acting or be more participatory and car-centric. I think it's funny, and ultimately I agree with the above that it's ultimately time that could be spent elsewhere, BUT there are no hard limits on how long an episode can be and this takes a few minutes per episode at most, it's pretty innocuous TBH.

4) Add more actual challenges to their multi-car reviews/long or feature segments/challenges. This is probably the biggest thing that is upsetting people that isn't fixing The American. A lot of these challenges are just drive from point A to point B and it makes the scripted hijinks stand out a bit more than they do otherwise because the challenges within these segments are few and far between -if there at all. Imagine the limo or 17 year old car segments from Top Gear without most of the competitive challenges, for instance.

5) More dedicated segments to historical retrospective as well as having them more as a part of reviews would be nice, but it doesn't currently feel like this is lacking, in part because this is always dependent on what the actual cars they are reviewing are.

6) Limit the in-studio gags that are not Conversation Street (i.e. inflatable people, leg replacements).

Everything else is fine as-is in terms of format and content IMO.

EDIT: Namibia Special Episode Preview.

Not

Banned
Watched the first episode

So it's just Top Gear

I dunno. I'll give it another shot. What's the most enjoyable episode to come out so far?

RoKKeR

Great so far, felt like a vintage Top Gear special! Preview for next time looks like a little much but I really enjoyed this part.

Ash_69

Grand tour is exactly what I expected it to be. Very watchable, brilliant cinematography but long in the tooth with these three.

I was one of the few that thought new top gear was very good in places, for example the Reid and Harris montages were as good as anything I'd seen in old top gear. Now that Evans is gone, I'm looking forward to it more so than new episodes of the grand tour.

nOoblet16

Wait part 2 comes out tomorrow (Saturday) or today?

Because the posts here made yesterday said tomorrow (which would mean today) but the air date of episode on amazon seems to be 30th which is today.

Edit: Ah different timezones.

witness

Fuck, watched Part 1 and 2 and it was a pure epic tier road trip like my favorite episodes of Top Gear. Just great stuff, easily the best episodes of the new series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom