• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Freshmaker said:
Nope. Strider's still kissing his horse, there are still elves at Helm's Deep, the Ents are still morons, and Denethor's still completely mis-characterized.
Why is Strider kissing his horse out of character?

TheFury

Salazar said:
An entire nation is not to blame. Selfish parochial motherfuckers bitter about their irrelevance - yes - but not Australia in general.
I'm from Australia haha. I wasn't blaming the nation, but it probably sounded like that. I'm just annoyed that it's one problem after another with these movies.

Freshmaker said:
Nope. Strider's still kissing his horse, there are still elves at Helm's Deep, the Ents are still morons, and Denethor's still completely mis-characterized.
And those few issues overshadow the rest of the great accomplishments the films had? I would be more mad about how they handled Farimir.

Also: It is good to see Solo rocking a proper avatar again.
213kff8.jpg

Yeah I don't think I recognised any of Solo's posts recently (unless he hasn't been posting?) as I haven't seen his Connery likeness accompanying it.

Scullibundo said:
Yeah I don't think I recognised any of Solo's posts recently (unless he hasn't been posting?) as I haven't seen his Connery likeness accompanying it.
He got back from a long ban not too long ago, and was rocking a Don Draper avatar. Don is cool, but he is no Connery.

Rickard

Hey StoOgE, I'm happy that you've come to terms with Godfather 3, and I'mma let chu finish, but Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy was the greatest trilogy of ALL TIME.

StoOgE said:
I don't care if Godfather 3 was 3 hours of Sophia Coppola shitting herself, Godfather and especially Godfather 2 are so much better than every other movie out there it is the defacto best trilogy of all time.
While I agree that the first two are in a class of their own, the final one does ruin the set. Best sequel ever? Possibly. But the third movie immediately invalidates its status as a great trilogy. More like a near flawless first two acts, with a shit ending.

Toy Story Trilogy? That is up near the top now.

apana

I remember reading this in the fourth grade. We did a play version of it where I played some guy with a black beard. How much has film tech progressed since the lotr trilogy? Are they gonna be able to do stuff that they couldnt do in those three films?

Dead

well not really...yet
apana said:
I remember reading this in the fourth grade. We did a play version of it where I played some guy with a black beard. How much has film tech progressed since the lotr trilogy? Are they gonna be able to do stuff that they couldnt do in those three films?
Considering what Weta achieved in Avatar, they have advanced a hell of a lot since the original LOTR films. There's no question The Hobbit would be more impressive than LOTR in terms of visual effects.

Dead said:
Considering what Weta achieved in Avatar, they have advanced a hell of a lot since the original LOTR films. There's no question The Hobbit would be more impressive than LOTR in terms of visual effects.

I get incredibly giddy simply thinking about the possibilities. I will probably have an authentic nerdgasm when I see Bilbo and Smaug conversing on screen together.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
PhoncipleBone said:
And those few issues overshadow the rest of the great accomplishments the films had?

Yes. If they ruin the story, I don't really care if they introduced a CG Gollum or not.

I would be more mad about how they handled Farimir.

Part and parcel with how they failed with Denethor in the first place.

apana

LegendofJoe said:
I get incredibly giddy simply thinking about the possibilities. I will probably have an authentic nerdgasm when I see Bilbo and Smaug conversing on screen together.

Yeah I've been reading up on these guys and some of the stuff they are talking about is just insane. The fact that it's going to be a sure fire hit means that there wont be a whole lot of budget constraints either. I suppose 3D is a given as well. I dont ever shell out money for that kind of thing, excluding a few park rides when I was younger, but I guess this will be an exception.

Cheerilee

I'm opposed to unionizing for the sake of having Unions. They're just another magnet for corruption. They're supposed to form to fight oppression, then go away after the threat does, not invent new battles to fight simply to justify their own existence.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
ruby_onix said:
I'm opposed to unionizing for the sake of having Unions. They're just another magnet for corruption. They're supposed to form to fight oppression, then go away after the threat does, not invent new battles to fight simply to justify their own existence.
Oppression and greed vanish once a union resolves one problem?

ruby_onix said:

This problem is common to all bodies mobilized for collective action, but I wholeheartedly agree with you here. If you don't serve a pivotal or important purpose you have no reason to exist as an organizing body, or in other words "find a real job losers!"

Dead

well not really...yet
News:

'The Hobbit' finally close to getting greenlight from Warner Bros., New Line and MGM

The studios have nearly finalized a deal with director, producer and co-writer Peter Jackson to make the two movies and have resolved most other key issues that have long held up the project, including those related to underlying rights from the estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien.

The one remaining hurdle is getting an official go-ahead from MGM, which is set to co-finance the movies because under a long-standing agreement it owns half the rights and controls international distribution.

The two "Hobbit" films, which will be shot together, are expected to cost close to $500 million to produce.

Jackson has long planned to shoot the movies in his home country of New Zealand, but this week he ran afoul of various performer unions, including the Screen Actors Guild, which are advising their members not to work on what they allege is a non-union production. One person close to the situation said that dispute is close to being resolved as well, further clearing the way for a greenlight.

NY Times: 'The Hobbit' WILL be in 3D

As “The Hobbit” now nears a green light, with the director Peter Jackson, after months of behind-the-scenes dealmaking, it emerges, according to a person briefed on the plans (but speaking anonymously, as the deal is not yet closed), with the inevitable third dimension.

It looks as if the first “Hobbit” film will have something else in common with “Avatar.” The plan is for a release on or about Dec. 19, 2012, approximating the Dec. 18 release date that was good to “Avatar” last year. Then again, the makers of “Avatar” probably noticed that Mr. Jackson pretty much owned that slot with his three “Lord of the Rings” films, in 2001, 2002 and 2003.
Not a surprise, as Jackson is in the 3D camp and wanted to do King Kong in 3D in the first place.

Dead

well not really...yet
500 Million for 2 Hobbit movies. In comparison all 3 LOTR films cost 300 Mil all together IIRC.

Depending on the budget allocation for both movies, one of them could end up being the most expensive movie ever made, alongside Pirates of the Caribbean 3

Dead

well not really...yet
Salazar said:
It has no meaningful bearing on the film. It is a junk issue.
Except for how the film is shot and planned, lit, finished in post prod, etc

Yeah, that sounds like it has no bearing on how a film is made.

Salazar

Dead said:
Except for how the film is shot and planned, lit, finished in post prod, etc

Yeah, that sounds like it has no bearing on how a film is made.

Sure, it will influence the creation of the film. But it is supposed to matter to audiences - and I don't give a shit. I err on the side of thinking it's a childlike anti-piracy gimmick.

Dead

well not really...yet
By December 2012 I doubt there will be much choice in 2D and 3D for blockbuster movies that are natively planned and shot as 3D features. Releasing 2D prints by then would be a waste.

Though im sure there will still be an obligatory 1 or 2 showings per day for the visually impaired in the morning or something.

Salazar

Dead said:
By December 2012 I doubt there will be much choice in 2D and 3D for blockbuster movies that are natively planned and shot as 3D features. Releasing 2D prints by then would be a waste.

Though im sure there will still be an obligatory 1 or 2 showings per day for the visually impaired in the morning or something.

Or 3D will be back in theme parks where it belongs.

Preferably the latter. Hopefully Cameron goes in hiding again and the format dies down. Too bad studios caught on to the higher ticket price thing though. They won't let go now...:lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah, im sure the movie and theater industry will throw away all the money they spent on expanding and upgrading screens

KHarvey16

Dead said:
Yeah, im sure the movie and theater industry will throw away all the money they spent on expanding and upgrading screens

This was happening before 3D and is not rendered useless by its absence. 3D is not sticking around.

linkboy

I don't care if they're 3d or 2d, I just want these movies filmed. Good to see things are on a positive note for once.

Yeah I know you're right...doesn't mean we have to like it. All the flagpole releases for this format are either gimmicky or just shitty converted 3D: Tron for the former, Alice in Wonderland for the latter.

And don't give me stuff like Scorcese, I doubt he'll be willing to shoot Silence and Frankie Machine in 3D. Only for that stupid robot film.

Dead

well not really...yet
Either way, its not a done deal. It could still be 2D. But considering how Peter Jackson didn't get his way with making King Kong in 3D (not enough time to plan for shooting, not enough time to convert) then I can easily see him using the Hobbit as his 3D debut, rather than Mortal Engines.

KHarvey16 said:
This was happening before 3D and is not rendered useless by its absence. 3D is not sticking around.
Ok

Salazar said:
Sure, it will influence the creation of the film. But it is supposed to matter to audiences - and I don't give a shit. I err on the side of thinking it's a childlike anti-piracy gimmick.
You=/=everyone else

Personally I think well-done 3D (the only kind Peter Jackson would bother with) would be awesome for this movie.

Fuck 3D. It doesn't make a film better in terms of quality. Avatar is more enjoyable in 3D, but as a film it's still quite average and relies solely on 3D to create the world (something that was not accomplished by the poor screenplay and lazy storytelling/characters/etc).

Not sure I want a huge big budget 3D Hobbit. All this behind the scenes drama is probably going to produce an average to bad movie. I love Jackson but still.

Cheerilee

I doubt I'd watch the 3D version. If there's no 2D theater version, I'll probably just rent the DVD/Blu-Ray. If there's no 2D home release, I'll just read a damn book.

Dead

well not really...yet
PhoenixDark said:
Fuck 3D. It doesn't make a film better in terms of quality. Avatar is more enjoyable in 3D, but as a film it's still quite average and relies solely on 3D to create the world (something that was not accomplished by the poor screenplay and lazy storytelling/characters/etc).

Not sure I want a huge big budget 3D Hobbit. All this behind the scenes drama is probably going to produce an average to bad movie. I love Jackson but still.
I like how you dismiss 3D and then spin using it as an actual filmmaking tool (using it to create a world, as hilariously innacurate as that is) as a bad thing.

Its just another means to an end. It should go hand in hand with sound design, production design, etc. Its just another in the list of tools that can be used to further immerse moviegoers into the world being put on screen, and Peter Jackson is exactly the type of filmmaker who would use it to that end.

Dead said:
I like how you dismiss 3D and then spin using it as an actual filmmaking tool (using it to create a world, as hilariously innacurate as that is) as a bad thing.

Its just another means to an end. It should go hand in hand with sound design, production design, etc. Its just another in the list of tools that can be used to further immerse moviegoers into the world being put on screen, and Peter Jackson is exactly the type of filmmaker who would use it to that end.

It's not a bad thing when it's not the only means of creating said world. Avatar relies entirely on the 3D because the actual worldbuilding is so pedestrian; Dancing With Wolves in Space is a lot more interesting when you through hundreds of millions of 3D effects into it to make people forget how shitty the actual movie is.

In short, it's a crutch. I'm sure it can be used effectively, but right now it's not much more than a distraction from bad film-making.

Salazar

Dead said:
No it doesn't. At all.

Trash. Embarrassing bullshit.

A film maker thinking 'I want to use 3D' is an order of magnitude more artistically legitimate and interesting than a film maker using 3D at the commercially-minded behest of a studio.

It takes life-threatening ignorance to suppose differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom