• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
We wont know how true that is until 2012 when Titanic 3D and Episode 1 3D are released.

I can't speak for George, but if Cameron thinks he can properly convert a movie with enough time and money, then I'd wager he knows what he is doing.

Well I won't find out because I sure as hell am not paying to see either of those movies again. :p

And I'm gonna throw behind RealD glasses too. Super comfy and big, and I already use prescription glasses and there's no alteration in the color of the movies either. Dolby3D on the other hand is an abomination.

Monocle

Amir0x said:
Well you wanted to act like we were cutting off our sense of wonder, and I wanted to act like you're goddamn blind for settling for the inferior picture of 3D films.
I watched Avatar twice on an excellent IMAX screen and had no issues with the picture quality. YMMV, naturally.

I invite you to recall that most people had an agreeable relationship with SD until relatively recently, since that was all there was. Now that we have HD, there is a vocal subset of viewers who treat resolution like it makes or breaks a film. Well, not for me. If a little detail and brightness have to be sacrificed for 3D, whose effect can be equally compelling as a flawless high-def image, why is that so wrong? It's a drastically different way to enjoy movies—one that can really enhance the texture and scope and impact of certain kinds of imagery. If you don't like it, fine, but don't flatter yourself by thinking that our difference of opinion exalts your emotional equipment or indicts me for ignorance or bad taste.

If you'd rather we return to on-topic discussion, this conversation can be resumed in a more appropriate setting. I didn't intend to derail the thread.

Monocle said:
I watched Avatar twice on an excellent IMAX screen and had no issues with the picture quality. YMMV, naturally.

I invite you to recall that most people had an agreeable relationship with SD until relatively recently, since that was all there was. Now that we have HD, there is a vocal subset of viewers who treat resolution like it makes or breaks a film. Well, not for me. If a little detail and brightness have to be sacrificed for 3D, whose effect can be equally compelling as a flawless high-def image, why is that so wrong? It's a drastically different way to enjoy movies—one that can really enhance the texture and scope and impact of certain kinds of imagery. If you don't like it, fine, but don't flatter yourself by thinking that our difference of opinion exalts your emotional equipment or indicts me for ignorance or bad taste.

If you'd rather we return to on-topic discussion, this conversation can be resumed in a more appropriate setting. I didn't intend to derail the thread.

I like this man. Very well reasoned and not held ransom to his e-motions.

Monocle said:

Personally I thought it was one of the best looking movies I've ever seen (saw it on a LieMAX screen). Whatever shortcomings the picture may have had on a technical level were easily outweighed by the 3D image.

Anyway back on topic:

Leonard Nimony's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

Amir0x

Banned
Monocle said:

I invite you to recall that most people had an agreeable relationship with SD until relatively recently, since that was all there was. Now that we have HD, there is a vocal subset of viewers who treat resolution like it makes or breaks a film. Well, not for me. If a little detail and brightness have to be sacrificed for 3D, whose effect can be equally compelling as a flawless high-def image, why is that so wrong? It's a drastically different way to enjoy movies—one that can really enhance the texture and scope and impact of certain kinds of imagery.

Different, but inferior. Like Kinect. Or any gesture based Wii game. I have yet to see a 3D movie that has improved anything in a single way. And until the day I do, all I'm going to see is the ways it detracts from the experience - since it has, on every single occasion I've seen 3D films. And I saw Avatar twice too, on an IMAX screen and in RealD 3D and otherwise.

A shit film, made no difference whether it was 3D or not. A shit film is a shit film is a shit film.

Monocle said:
If you don't like it, fine, but don't flatter yourself by thinking that our difference of opinion exalts your emotional equipment or indicts me for ignorance or bad taste.

You should have thought of that before acting like people who disliked 3D were all imagination impaired, duder. Now I'll just settle on you having shit taste and low standards instead.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Not that it's going to happen, but I'd love it if getting the backing for The Hobbit necessitates making it one longer movie instead of two filled out with Gandalf's side adventures.

That's the mature response I expected from Amirox.

Anyway, I want these films if only to hear Howard Shore pump out another outstanding score.

Amir0x

Banned
Scullibundo said:
That's the mature response I expected from Amirox.

The conversation started just so, with Monocle specifically implying that those who don't like 3D somehow lack for imagination, they want to 'deaden their sense of wonder.'

If that was the 'mature' start to a conversation, then I'm going to end it in kind. And in terms of poster expectations, I mean aside from you being an embarrassing Avatar fanboy coloring your view of anyone who agrees with you, this type of double standard accusatory finger pointing wherein one side is worse than the other for calling people out is pretty much what I'd expect from the lower shit end of GAF too.

Amir0x said:
Different, but inferior. Like Kinect. Or any gesture based Wii game. I have yet to see a 3D movie that has improved anything in a single way. And until the day I do, all I'm going to see is the ways it detracts from the experience - since it has, on every single occasion I've seen 3D films. And I saw Avatar twice too, on an IMAX screen and in RealD 3D and otherwise.

A shit film, made no difference whether it was 3D or not. A shit film is a shit film is a shit film.

You should have thought of that before acting like people who disliked 3D were all imagination impaired, duder. Now I'll just settle on you having shit taste and low standards instead.
Just out of curiosity why did you see it twice?

Amir0x

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Just out of curiosity why did you see it twice?

Said this before. First time I went to see it myself with a friend, we both hated it. But before I knew I would hate it, I had promised I was taking my family and my sister and her brother-in-law to see the film, so obviously I wasn't going to just go back on my promise after I hated the film.

My sisters even ridiculously dressed up as Na'vi for the showing.

NaviSmall.jpg

Amir0x said:
Said this before. First time I went to see it myself with a friend, we both hated it. But before I knew I would hate it, I had promised I was taking my family and my sister and her brother-in-law to see the film, so obviously I wasn't going to just go back on my promise after I hated the film.

My sisters even ridiculously dressed up as Na'vi for the showing.

NaviSmall.jpg
Oh wow :D

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Could B.C. be the new Middle Earth for next Lord of the Rings movie?

We've got forbidding forests and majestic mountains. There are mighty rivers galore, as well as sweeping plains and quaint country villages where humble folk work the land.

We've got more bears and wolves than anywhere else in the world, plus foggy marshes, towering waterfalls and just about every other natural phenomenon with the exceptions, perhaps, of goblin-filled caves and cliff-dwelling dragons that novelist J.R.R. Tolkien or filmmaker Peter Jackson could have ever imagined.

So could British Columbia become the new Middle Earth?

Canada has been identified as one of five nations angling to become the new setting for the blockbuster Lord of the Rings film franchise.

The once-unthinkable opportunity has emerged after a bitter labour dispute flared last week between actors' unions and the producers behind a planned two-part prequel based on Tolkien's The Hobbit, leading to threats this week of shooting the films outside of New Zealand.

The LOTR series has become so crucial to New Zealand's international image, economy and tourist trade that the country's prime minister, John Key, has personally offered to mediate negotiations between union leaders and Jackson's production team.

But with the controversy still at full boil and the future of the mega-budget project in doubt in New Zealand, vulturous rivals — including Australia, Scotland, Ireland and the U.S. — have joined Canada in a feeding frenzy to host the filming of the movies, Hobbit co-writer and co-producer Philippa Boyens told New Zealand Radio on Monday.

"The dispute over job security and working conditions, in which New Zealand film workers have been backed by actors' unions in Canada, Australia and elsewhere, has thrown doubt on how stable our industry is in terms of industrial relations," Boyens said. "That is what is being put in jeopardy, not whether the production goes forward, but whether it's made here."

She also noted that the film-promotion agencies from other countries that are now contending for to be Middle Earth are dangling lucrative incentive packages in front of Hobbit filmmakers that could save them tens of millions of dollars in production costs.

"Warner Brothers' studios are running the numbers on five to six different locations," Boyens warned the unions. "That's very real and that has put at risk the livelihoods of countless thousands of New Zealand industry workers."

An official with Telefilm Canada, the federal body that promotes moviemaking in this country, told Postmedia News on Tuesday that the agency has not been in discussion with The Hobbit's filmmakers.

But she confirmed that provincial film agencies can and will directly approach foreign producers to tout the merits of moviemaking in Manitoba, for example, or here in B.C.

Telefilm itself trumpets Canada's spectacular and remarkably nuanced geography and climate in its online bid to lure out-of-country filmmakers to shoot movies here.

And provincial agencies, as well as various city and regional film-development bureaus, are similarly marketing the physical attributes of their slice of Canada's geography.

"Nova Scotia is a place where stories come to life," president Ann MacKenzie boasts in an introductory video on Film Nova Scotia's website. "Located on the east coast of Canada, our province has a diverse landscape that can fill in for anywhere or look like no place else on Earth."

She also highlights the tax breaks offered to film producers who choose Halifax over Hollywood.

A quick reading of The Hobbit does yield plenty of descriptive passages showing Tolkien's imagination fired by Canada-like landscapes.

The book recounts the epic quest of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he gives up the pastoral comforts of The Shire to endure the unknown dangers of Wilderland, including the perilous Misty Mountains and the spookily dark Mirkwood Forest.

In one scene, the adventurous hobbit is chilled by the shuddering howl of wolves gathering in a dense forest, a common occurrence for Canadians visiting Quebec's Laurentians or Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park, but an impossibility in the virtually mammal-less New Zealand.

"Gaze as much as he might," Tolkien writes of Bilbo, in another scene that could be straight out of New Brunswick, "he could see no end to the trees and the leaves in any direction."

And elsewhere in the novel, at a place where Mirkwood seems to give way to southern Manitoba or Saskatchewan, Bilbo and his companions "travelled for days and all the while they saw nothing save grass and flowers and birds and scattered trees."

If Canada is keen to snag The Hobbit from New Zealand, it appears likely to face a stiff challenge from Scotland, where wolves are absent but craggy landscapes abound and, just maybe, a mysterious loch is home to a Tolkienesque monster.

"Scotland is an attractive and highly competitive film location with stunning scenery and a skilled workforce," a Scottish government spokesman said this week, amid growing concerns in New Zealand over the fate of the film. "If there are any opportunities regarding The Hobbit, we would want to see Scotland benefit."

Please come to Vancouver :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dnbbg/iama_person_currently_working_on_the_hobbit/

Someone over at Reddit is working on the project and has revealed shit load of stuff that some may or may not know (Release date for the first two movies: December 19 2012 and December 18 2013. Movie will be shot entirely on 3D and not 2D-converted-to-3D, Martin Freeman still part of The Hobbit, etc etc).

Good read (or good fake hype if you believe it ain't true).

BobLoblaw said:
It's about to go down! :D

Edit: Can't wait to see
Battle+of+Five+Armies+boardgame.jpg

Elves, Men, Dwarves, Wargs, Goblins, etc. It's gonna be glorious.

It'll probably look like that dumb fight in Narnia. Just with idiotic 3D thrown in (maybe someone dodges an arrow that flies toward the audience *gasp*). Fuck 3D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
BobLoblaw said:
It's about to go down! :D

Edit: Can't wait to see
Battle+of+Five+Armies+boardgame.jpg

Elves, Men, Dwarves, Wargs, Goblins, etc. It's gonna be glorious.
Battle of Five Armies and Smaug!

I'm really interested if they kept the design work for Smaug while Del Toro was still attached. He mentioned how it was pretty different that what we typically see of dragons.

RustyNails said:
Had Del Toro stayed on the project for a wee bit longer...
He was good alternative to PJ but I'd rather see him do Mountains of Madness.

I never read mountain of madness so I'm not terribly excited for it. But since its Del Toro I have no doubt it will be fuck amazing. I was hoping we could see what Del Toro would have done with The Hobbit. Pete Jackson is cool and all, but you know it would have been a nice change for Del Toro to take on the LOTR universe (so Peter Jackson can go back reviving Halo goddamit).

Monocle

RustyNails said:
I never read mountain of madness so I'm not terribly excited for it. But since its Del Toro I have no doubt it will be fuck amazing. I was hoping we could see what Del Toro would have done with The Hobbit. Pete Jackson is cool and all, but you know it would have been a nice change for Del Toro to take on the LOTR universe (so Peter Jackson can go back reviving Halo goddamit).
Fix this now. It's incredible.

Dead

well not really...yet
Here is the PR, taken from Onering.net

OSCAR WINNER PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT “THE HOBBIT” IN TWO INSTALLMENTS
Peter Jackson Set to Direct J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” In a Two-Part 3D Production of Extraordinary Scope

(Los Angeles, October 15, 2010) The two films based on “The Hobbit” are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc..

“Exploring Tolkien’s Middle-earth goes way beyond a normal film-making experience” Jackson says, “It’s an all-immersive journey into a very special place of imagination, beauty and drama. We’re looking forward to re-entering this wondrous world with Gandalf and Bilbo – and our friends at New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers and MGM”.

“Peter is a filmmaker of incomparable ability; having him return to Middle-earth to produce and direct is a dream come true. A true original, Peter is a gifted story-teller, visionary director and pioneer in film technology,” said Emmerich. “Reuniting with Peter, Fran and Philippa truly makes it feel like we are going ‘there and back again.’”

“There is no human being on the planet as qualified as Peter Jackson to direct these films,” said Horn. “Peter is incredibly talented and has the creative vision and experience to bring this beloved property to life in a way that no other filmmaker could. And the team of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens has proven through their work on the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy that no one is more skilled at transforming Tolkien’s written words into a vibrant, living language that makes the audience believe they are not merely visiting Middle-earth, but actually living in it. We couldn’t be more thrilled and look forward to seeing ‘The Hobbit’ take shape under Peter’s stewardship and the team he is putting together.”

“MGM is excited to move forward and add to the successful ‘Lord of the Rings’ franchise,” said Cooper. “Under Peter’s direction, the films will undoubtedly appeal to fans of the original ‘LOTR’ trilogy and also bring the stories to a new generation of fans.”

Jackson, who directed all three “Lord of the Rings” films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of “The Hobbit” in two parts. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable story-telling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel to the big screen. Both Hobbit movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience. Jackson also co-wrote the screenplays with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.

“The Hobbit” is being co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production, Warner Bros Pictures handling domestic distribution and MGM distributing internationally. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham are producing the films, with Phillipa Boyens as co-producer and Ken Kamins as executive producer.

The Oscar-winning, critically acclaimed LOTR trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box office. In 2003, “Return of the King” swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the 11 categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The trilogy’s production was also unprecedented at the time.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think we definitely got the best case scenario. Jackson helms the film, and Del Toro is making his dream film (while still having co-writer credit on The Hobbit)

Dead said:
I think we definitely got the best case scenario. Jackson helms the film, and Del Toro is making his dream film (while still having co-writer credit on The Hobbit)
And most likely heavy Del Toro influence on creature design in Hobbit as well.

Now who the hell is playing Bilbo?

Scullibundo said:
Yep, when Del Toro was attached, I was still always wishing it was Jackson.

Same here.

It helps that I don't like Del Toro much, but it's mostly due to the fact that he did so good with LOTR. Like no matter how lame Lovely Bones was I'm sure he can return to Middle Earth and make something great again. Shore better be back too.

Still bummed about the 3D thing though, but at least it's native.

Announce Howard Shore.

Announce Howard Shore.

If Howard Shore is so out of work that he would score the last Twilight movie, he better fucking do this.

Howard Shore better be on this. Apparently him and Jackson had a big fight before King Kong though...:/

He still better bring Shore back.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
brandonh83 said:
Announce Howard Shore.

Announce Howard Shore.

If Howard Shore is so out of work that he would score the last Twilight movie, he better fucking do this.

Really? Wow

And yes. Shore in please. He's amazing

apana

Amir0x said:
i have a sense of wonder bigger than most people i know and more than likely you will ever know
one, Avatar didn't transcend shit. It was a terrible movie. neither its world nor its story compelled me, and yes, that is necessary for a sense of goddamned wonder.

and second, until we get glasses-less 3D, 3D as it stands now only serves to worsen the picture. Deadens color, changes many scenes into gimmicky, pop-up shit, etc. It makes the image quality WORSE thanks to the nature of the technology in theaters right now, and that also hurts any sense of wonder.

:lol Not hating, this just made me laugh.

Dead

well not really...yet
Discotheque said:
Howard Shore better be on this. Apparently him and Jackson had a big fight before King Kong though...:/

He still better bring Shore back.
Im pretty sure Jackson and Shore had an amicable split in regards to King Kong.

Shore is still very involved with LOTR music, I have no reason to doubt he won't come back...

Dead said:
Im pretty sure Jackson and Shore had an amicable split in regards to King Kong.

Shore is still very involved with LOTR music, I have no reason to doubt he won't come back...
Agreed. It would be like making a Star Wars movie without Williams.

And Shore is not so out of work he did Twilight, he just likes to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom