• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Jackson Will Direct 'The Hobbit' Films

In what was the most inevitable (and correct) conclusion to the Hobbit director fiasco, Deadline is reporting Lord of the Rings trilogy helmer Peter Jackson has "decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit." His deal is currently in negotation "right now with Warner Bros and MGM."

Guillermo Del Toro dropped out late May of this year and since there has been rumors of Neill Blomkamp and David Yates taking over but deep down we all know Jackson is the man for the job.

Currently Jackson is "trying to get MGM’s owners to do what is needed to make the back-to-back films possible for an end of the year shoot." This certainly isn't the end of The Hobbit pre-production story and we will keep you updated with more details as they come.
:D

Yes!! :) After the departure of Guillermo this is the best possible outcome, I think. :D The two have worked on a vision so it's only natural for him to realize it.

The problem I have here though is whether his heart is in it. It sounded like he really didn't want to do this film at all, so it might possibly show on screen.

Didn't he say earlier "I'd direct it, to protect the investment"? That doesn't sound too good.

But then again, he was really enthusiastic about Lovely Bones and that was shit, so...still good news I guess :lol

Discotheque said:
The problem I have here though is whether his heart is in it. It sounded like he really didn't want to do this film at all, so it might possibly show on screen.

Didn't he say earlier "I'd direct it, to protect the investment"? That doesn't sound too good.

But then again, he was really enthusiastic about Lovely Bones and that was shit, so...still good news I guess :lol
Well, first of all, I thought he didn't want to direct because he would be busy with a lot of other projects. To film both movies probably means being on site for 5-6 months in a row on top of being involved with the rest of the process. That's a huge chunk of time.

Amir0x

Banned
Lovely Bones was so awful it almost made me retroactively reconsider the Lord of the Rings trilogy being the greatest film trilogy of all time.

I hope he does not bring any of that horrible side with him to The Hobbit.

Amir0x said:
Lovely Bones was so awful it almost made me retroactively reconsider the Lord of the Rings trilogy being the greatest film trilogy of all time.

How much of that was because of the source material though? I tried to read the Lovely Bones and had to stop, I just couldn't get into it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was more interested with Guillermo del Toro in the director's seat.

Still, I have a hard time caring about these at all considering they're turning The Hobbit into a bloated two films with tons of extraneous stuff that will take us away from Bilbo's point of view, which destroys so much of what made the novel great. I don't want to see Gandalf's side adventures, at least at the same time, I just want to be on a wild fantasy journey with Bilbo.

Dan said:

Still, I have a hard time caring about these at all considering they're turning The Hobbit into a bloated two films with tons of extraneous stuff that will take us away from Bilbo's point of view, which destroys so much of what made the novel great. I don't want to see Gandalf's side adventures, at least at the same time, I just want to be on a wild fantasy journey with Bilbo.
Hey at least they're not just blatantly making up an entire movie worth of events, like they were originally planning. But no, I agree with you.

Lakitu

st5fu
I think Peter Jackson is the right man for the job. I'm also glad Guillermo del Toro is focusing on a original project next, great :)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Dan said:

Not much point in showing Gandalf if you have a director that thinks magic should never be depicted onscreen. (Maybe Gandalf should be a cloud...)

Dan

Neuromancer said:
Hey at least they're not just blatantly making up an entire movie worth of events, like they were originally planning. But no, I agree with you.
At least I could simply ignore that second film.

Solo

Amir0x said:

TTT and ROTK already make LOTR unable to be the best trilogy ever.

GhaleonEB

I'm merely okay with this. Jackson did a lot right with the LotR movies, but I wasn't a big fan of the directing in them. But I suppose it will enable a certain consistency through the prequels.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Solo said:

LOTR Trilogy >> Star Wars. Just to stir the flames of war.

The fact that they changed a few things from the books don't mean a thing, the movie worked perfectly on screen. If you want to follow the book, read the book. The movie is just an adaptation... and trust me adapting Tolkien's work like it was done for the LOTR movies is a monumental task.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Solo said:
The turd from my anus > Star Wars. Leone's Dollars trilogy is the best trilogy.

No. Just... no.

my dislike of Western movies causes a bias though!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Neuromancer said:
If they follow the book it should be pretty action packed. A lot of crazy shit goes down in the Hobbit.

They are dividing it into two movies am I right?

Darklord

Banned
Relix said:

I may be wrong but isn't the first most of the book, the second is a whole new written thing linking the Hobbit and LotR together. That's what I heard off a podcast.

Relix said:
I believe so, yes

Darklord said:
I may be wrong but isn't the first most of the book, the second is a whole new written thing linking the Hobbit and LotR together. That's what I heard off a podcast.
I think that was the original plan and it sounded kind of terrible

Edit: now I'm not so sure what the plan is, this whole thing has gotten pretty confusing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wouldn't be surprised if the fact that TLB was a huge disappointment-ton also played a role in him deciding to direct this.

I'd be more excited if Del Toro were still directing, but I suppose this is the best possible outcome

Solo said:

You're right. LOTR is just one big movie. And the greatest one at that. It was only split into three because you know.. people would complain about it being too long.

Dan

Neuromancer said:
I believe so, yes

I think that was the original plan and it sounded kind of terrible

Edit: now I'm not so sure what the plan is, this whole thing has gotten pretty confusing.
The current plan is for The Hobbit to be spread across two films, filled in with other source material. It's definitely no longer going to be The Hobbit and a LOTR bridge film. That was scrapped sometime around Guillermo del Toro coming on board, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom