• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I've never read The Hobbit so I don't really know what to expect other than a dragon and that's already got my shit pumped

I have a dragon fetish

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I should really complete my readings of The Hobbit and LotR, I never got around to do it.

Anyway, really excited for this movie - every decade needs a movie that deals with the definitive beginning of modern fantasy: The Lord of the Rings.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
LegendofJoe said:
I guess they ended up deciding to completely drop the idea of a bridging movie between The Hobbit and LotR. It's probably a good decision, but I would have liked to see what Del Toro and Jackson could have done with a little more creative freedom.

As they should. The feel of the two books was completely and totally different.

StoOgE said:
As they should. The feel of the two books was completely and totally different.

It would have been very difficult to pull off for that very reason. But I'd still like to see it done at some point.

jaxword

LegendofJoe said:
I guess they ended up deciding to completely drop the idea of a bridging movie between The Hobbit and LotR. It's probably a good decision, but I would have liked to see what Del Toro and Jackson could have done with a little more creative freedom.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure The Hobbit has enough material to be stretched out over 2 movies and still capture people's imaginations like LOTR did.

jaxword said:
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure The Hobbit has enough material to be stretched out over 2 movies and still capture people's imaginations like LOTR did.

I'm assuming you mean 3 movies here, because the hobbit is going to encompass two films.

Helmholtz

Can't wait. After seeing Pan's Labyrinth, I have a lot of faith in Del Toro. I think he'll be able to pull this off quite nicely.

jaxword

LegendofJoe said:
I'm assuming you mean 3 movies here, because the hobbit is going to encompass two films.

No, I meant two films, I was referring to the Hobbit? I think you misunderstood, I was referencing LOTR as the previous Tolkien set that people were enraptured by.

GCX

This will be the most beautiful movie ever with Del Toro and John Howe/Alan Lee taking care of the art direction.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I have faith in Del Toro. Love his visual designs, but as a storyteller he's kinda meh. Loved the first Hellboy, Hellboy 2.. at least it was nice to look at, and Pan's Labyrinth had great visual design and a story that did nothing for me. But with Jackson aboard too, it should work out just fine.

As long as they don't use Thranduil's character design from the Hobbit cartoon.
250px-Thranduil.jpg

GCX

Combichristoffersen said:
As long as they don't use Thranduil's character design from the Hobbit cartoon.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/lotr/images/thumb/8/88/Thranduil.jpg/250px-Thranduil.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I don't think you need to worry about stuff like that since, like I said, the leading concept artists behind the LOTR trilogy aka [URL="http://www.eldar.org/artgallery/tolkien/alee/justpixs.html"]Alan Lee[/URL] and [URL="http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/"]John Howe[/URL] were pretty much the first people contracted for The Hobbit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I hate beyond hate David Tennant so i would be actively disturbed if he was anywhere near the film. This maybe because im an ardent hater of Dr. Who and what it does to british tv. This being said i heard strong rumours Brian Cox was in the film on aintitcool.com. That, in my opinion, would be an inspired piece of casting for a dwarf. Infact Brian Cox and Ian Mcshane as dwarfs would be all matter of awesome.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
GCX said:
I don't think you need to worry about stuff like that since, like I said, the leading concept artists behind the LOTR trilogy aka Alan Lee and John Howe were pretty much the first people contracted for The Hobbit.

I know, I was kidding :lol Lee and Howe are amazing btw.

My flatmate actually went to an audition for frodos mum, fairly sure she didn't get it though. Shame because she does look a bit like a hobbit.

legend166

I don't mind them spreading the Hobbit out over two films. Although the book is short, it does have quite a lot of exposition to get through. They could make it in one movie but it would probably have to be 3 hours and they'd have to cut quite a bit.

I hope they make a couple of tight, two hour films. Not that I didn't love the sprawling epic running times of the LotR trilogy, but I think a shorter runtime will work better for The Hobbit.

I support this thread, and have full confidence in Jackson and Del Toro. I don't like the idea of turning The Hobbit into LOTR (they're very different) and that will be a big temptation I'm guessing. But from what I've read Jackson and the writers understand this.

Amir0x said:
Preeeetty sure this is going to be one of my most anticipated movies of all time.

It feels like only yesterday (because it pretty much was!), after what seemed like forever, the movies finally started releasing and they were actually good. When they were gone, it felt like this immense movie experience was gone forever and would never return. I felt like I was leaving Middle Earth forever or some shit.
I know exactly how you feel. It was the feeling I had when I first finished the trilogy as a young kid. I was laid up out of school for a week, stuck in bed, fever, snotting and aching. But those books transported a city boy like me to places I literally could only imagine, until later in life when I got to walk through places like Yosemite and May Lake and tie actual experience to those words from long ago. I remember crying when the story was complete, knowing there wasn't any more to come. I still remember that feeling even now, because it was a potent one at that age.

The Hobbit is such a different tale to the LOTR trilogy, both in scope, character and fairy tale psose. I'm glad to see its a different vision bringing this story to light, but with the same "DNA" so to speak.

And yeah, keep Toby Macguire the fuck away from my Hobbit. He's no Bilbo. He's not even a decent Peter Parker.

Peru

People are OTM about del Toro's incredible sense of visuals and atmosphere but lesser talents for story and dialogue. LUCKILY this should be the best kind of project for him -- the story is already there, much of the dialogue is there, and he's got the LOTR folks writing the script with him.

Seeing who's involved in this it could be the modern fantasy film if everything works out. Del Toro's style is so unique and most certainly will fit the story.

selig

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Also, I've never read The Hobbit so I don't really know what to expect other than a dragon and that's already got my shit pumped

I have a dragon fetish

omg, read now! Hobbit > LotR

This indeed is my most anticipated movie, and it´ll be great if they capture the magic of the book. cant wait for a full-fleged bilbo-gollum encounter.

GCX

Btw I think I recently read some Del Toro interview where he said no more than 2-3 actors from LOTR will reprise their roles. I'd guess those will be Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and maybe Cate Blanchett.

OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Give me.
Great thread yo.

I am pumped like a monster truck tire for this movie. Yessss

Atlagev

Oh god oh god oh god... *So* excited about this! Sounds like everything is going as well as can be expected, and yeah, Christopher Lee voicing Smaug would be *awesome*!

Also, I think David Tennant as Bilbo would be great! He's already got "Elijah Wood" eyes, so he's got that going for him. :)

DavidTennant.jpg

GCX said:
Btw I think I recently read some Del Toro interview where he said no more than 2-3 actors from LOTR will reprise their roles. I'd guess those will be Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and maybe Cate Blanchett.
This is his exact quote;

"Gandalf, being a 2,000-year-old wizard, is still around and plays a major role in 'The Hobbit,' and we're having Ian McKellen reprise," explained the filmmaker, who is executive-producing the flick and writing the screenplay. "There's a couple of other characters: Elrond, who was played by Hugo Weaving [in the original films], and there's a possibility of Galadriel, who was played by Cate Blanchett."

I'd be very surprised if Andy Serkis wasn't to reprise his role as Gollum, even though Gollum's part in The Hobbit is quite small in comparison to LOTR, it's still an extremely important encounter that's key to both stories. It would be unthinkable to leave the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter out of the films.

PhoenixDark said:
I support this thread, and have full confidence in Jackson and Del Toro. I don't like the idea of turning The Hobbit into LOTR (they're very different) and that will be a big temptation I'm guessing. But from what I've read Jackson and the writers understand this.

There will be some continuation to link this with the trilogy, but it won't feel like the trilogy..

If anything, the tone of the movie will be more similar to FOTR (for obvious reasons).

As long as design wise, there is continuation, then I have 100% faith in everything, and just waiting for these to come out. John Howe and Alan Lee are back, pretty much most of the crew from the trilogy will return, it's just all perfect. I love Del Toro's style, and couldn't have picked a better alternative person to Direct this.

The only thing I'm not feeling is David Tenant as Bilbo..
I like the rumour of Martin Freeman being Bilbo much better.

A lot of the casting rumors in this thread are a bit out of date. I'm fully expecting relative unknowns for a lot of the roles in this duology, like LOTR.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
subzero9285 said:
This is his exact quote;

I'd be very surprised if Andy Serkis wasn't to reprise his role as Gollum, even though Gollum's part in The Hobbit is quite small in comparison to LOTR, it's still an extremely important encounter that's key to both stories. It would be unthinkable to leave the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter out of the films.
Serkis was on the radion yesterday in the uk promoting his new film, hes in the hobbit, he doesnt divulge but he said hes heading out next year to film.

WyndhamPrice said:
A lot of the casting rumors in this thread are a bit out of date. I'm fully expecting relative unknowns for a lot of the roles in this duology, like LOTR.

I read theonering.net quite often (jackson and del toro seem to love and tip this site, they are even active forum members from time to time) and apparently casting calls went out to find an unknown a month or two back.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
NOT TOBY MCGUIRE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

Raydeen

Ether_Snake said:
NOT TOBY MCGUIRE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!

Indeed - he killed Spiderman trilogy - doesn't need to do the same to Hobbit. Tennant is a far far better actor for this type of movie - someone with energy, not the narcolyptic delivery that McGuire gives.

GCX

subzero9285 said:
This is his exact quote;
This is an exact quote by Del Toro from last month:
So, now that PJ’s Lovely Bones tour is almost over, I thought it wise- seeing how some can whip up into a frenzy- to drop by and chat a bit.

A) About ONLY 3 actors returning: I think the emphasis on “only” is what slant the news the wrong way. I cannot imagine Gollum being played by anyone but Andy and in the second script there is still much in discussion to lock everything for now. Both PJ and I chime in on things “as they are at the moment” and, of course, things change.

I, for one, understand where Peter’s coming from since 30% of my STRAIN tour questions, HELLBOY II, ORPHANAGE promotion questions, etc, etc where about the Hobbit. At different time we have been closer in locking on a piece of casting or hoping to get a script delivered, etc and things simply changed as we went along. So, don’t etch this in stone or anything we both have said in the past, in stone since we communicate what we can when the window of exposure to the press and fans happens.

I still prefer to keep the dialogue open- inexact as it may get- that to remain mum or one-sided with the community that can really understand this project.

B) The target for production. Its simple: we may say what we want but until there are two scripts delivered and budgets and schedules to support them we will be all under a yellow light of development. THAT we have not stopped. As I have reported in the past, we are scouting, designing (my last 3 hour meeting with Weta was this morning) and will not stop. BUT the greenlight and thus commencement can only be granted by the studio. Pete as producer and me as director will do everything we can in the meantime.

C) Is there any trouble brewing with WB? Not at all. All I can say is that they reacted to our delivered script with great delight and we have been receiving strong support in our development.

Smaug is being animation tested, we are editing the previs, doing final selections on Dwarven War Artifacts and Gear and starting many fabrication tests for armies, prosthetics and wardrobes, etc

However, I do plan to be less and less in the public spotlight for two simple reasons: One: I am damn busy prepping this two Behemoths. Two: quite likely, I’ll have very limited, if any, promotional time for “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark” or “The Fall” (Second Strain book) myself but fear not- I will drop in as much as possible, as always.

Love

GDT
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/200...hobbit-for-a-very-reliable-source/#more-34615

McKellen is pretty much confirmed besides Serkis though since he's read the script already.

Mr Cola

i havent read the hobbit in many years, long enough to forget everything but the bare bones. I heard Christopher lee say hes too old to travel to do it a year back which was a real shame. How big is Sarumans role in the hobbit/appendices? I cant imagine another actor playing him in the film, t'would be a real shame

Mr Cola said:
i havent read the hobbit in many years, long enough to forget everything but the bare bones. I heard Christopher lee say hes too old to travel to do it a year back which was a real shame. How big is Sarumans role in the hobbit/appendices? I cant imagine another actor playing him in the film, t'would be a real shame

Eh? As I recall he was very excited for The Hobbit and stated several times that he would love to come back as Saruman if asked.

Aaron

Mr Cola said:
He's not in the actual book. He's referred to in a vague way as part of the White Council that joins Gandalf in confronting the Necromancer. Since they'll actually be filming these parts for the movie, he would have some role, but they could just as easily not have him involved.

Having him voice Smaug would be excellent, and likely to be a longer part anyway.

GCX

StormyTheRabbit said:
Eh? As I recall he was very excited for The Hobbit and stated several times that he would love to come back as Saruman if asked.
Apparently he's not in a good enough condition to go to shoot in New Zealand anymore. He'd love to do the voice of Smaug though.

GCX said:
Apparently he's not in a good enough condition to go to shoot in New Zealand anymore. He'd love to do the voice of Smaug though.

Aw thats a shame. I mean if he played a big enough role, I could honestly see Jackson building a set closer to him if possible. But then again, I think I recall friends saying that he's barely even a minor character in the book.

I love his voice though, could see it working for a Dragon that is Majestic yet All-Powerful very well.

Mr Cola

StormyTheRabbit said:
Aw thats a shame. I mean if he played a big enough role, I could honestly see Jackson building a set closer to him if possible. But then again, I think I recall friends saying that he's barely even a minor character in the book.

I love his voice though, could see it working for a Dragon that is Majestic yet All-Powerful very well.
I hope for this too, id also be cool with him voicing smaug, though eerily i still hold vague hopes itll be sean connery :lol :D

GCX

Christopher Lee will release a symphonic concept metal album called "Charlemagne" in March btw.

How many other 87-year-old guys are that badass?

methodman

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Fucking hell I hope it's not Tobey McGuire. Give us a fresh face, it's not that hard.

I dunno man. I think Maguire is going to go after the role hard now that he's dropped out of Spiderman 4.

KevinCow

Banned
Tobey McGuire would be fucking awful as Bilbo. He can't act. Just imagining him trying a British accent is painful.

I've only seen like one episode of Dr. Who, but I think David Tennant would be fantastic.

Or maybe they'll shock us all with someone completely unexpected or unknown.

I'm also really curious as to who they'll get to play all the dwarves.

methodman said:
I dunno man. I think Maguire is going to go after the role hard now that he's dropped out of Spiderman 4.
I'd rather not see Toby Maguire playing Bilbo, I personally think they'll cast someone not even mentioned so far.

McAvoy rules out Hobbit role

James McAvoy doesn't have plans to visit the world of Middle-earth, nor does he have any interest in creating iconic super spies. In other words, rumors that the "Wanted" star will have roles in the upcoming Ian Fleming biopic and Guillemo Del Toro's "The Hobbit" are exactly that — rumors.

While participating in press rounds for "The Last Station," McAvoy revealed to Collider that the word on the street about his possible turns as Bilbo Baggins and Ian Fleming are completely unfounded.

"I can squash the 'Hobbit' rumor right off the get-go," said McAvoy. "It's squashed, I promise you."

As for the rumored Ian Fleming biopic — a film in which McAvoy would play the mastermind and creator of James Bond, 007 — that news, too, is false.

"It's rumor," the actor confirmed. "Again, it's all a rumor. I've read the script — I read it a long time ago, though, and I never even spoke to the producers. I don't know where it's come from."

Despite the various falsehoods making the rounds about his future acting plans, McAvoy insisted that he wasn't upset by the rumors, mostly because the reports haven't been mean-spirited — but the fact that they are rumors and not facts does bother him a bit.

"It's kind of strange, it's not bad things you're hearing about yourself, but quite often you're just hearing things that aren't true," he said. "As much as they're not bad things, there's a part of you that goes, 'But it's not true!' It's like you're saying that I like coffee instead of tea. It's not that big of a deal — it's just not true!"

281x211.jpg
Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom