• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

methodman said:
I dunno man. I think Maguire is going to go after the role hard now that he's dropped out of Spiderman 4.
He just flat out doesn't fit the role, while Lord of the Rings had almost perfect casting. He's not getting it.

Is this going to have the same look and feel to it as The Lord of the Rings? So much so that you could watch all 5 in order and there isn't a radical difference?

I surely hope so anyway.

bengraven

MarkMclovin said:
Is this going to have the same look and feel to it as The Lord of the Rings? So much so that you could watch all 5 in order and there isn't a radical difference?

I surely hope so anyway.

There will be enough similarities for them to feel cohesive; for example they've noted that Rivendell and the Shire will look just like the in the trilogy. However, it will be lighter in tone, due to The Hobbit being less a "fantasy novel" and more a fairy tale. Del Toro has said there will be a lot more color.

If that causes you dismay, think of it like this: if you watch them in order, they will get progressively darker, so it works fine.

JonnyBrad

madara said:
Have they signed Ian? No Ian, no sale!

They haven't signed ANYONE yet apparently. (according to PJ) but the fact that they flew the script out it him in the UK to let him read then had it shredded might tell you something.

bengraven

madara said:
Have they signed Ian? No Ian, no sale!

They've said that Ian, Hugo and Andy are basically shoe ins and have flown to New Zealand (from what I remember).

These, to me, are the three most important characters to get right to help the cohesiveness with the Trilogy.

MarkMclovin said:

I surely hope so anyway.

Think of how different Two Towers looks compared to FOTR.

I would imagine the difference will be the same with Hobbit and FOTR. But more towards the lighter side. Which makes sense.

Ceres

Banned
After the last thread about casting rumors, I still stand by one poster's suggestion of Martin Freeman.

Hopefully whoever it is it's of a higher age range than Daniel Radcliffe. Bilbo is not supposed to be that young.

andycapps

Really excited for the Hobbit and to see Del Toro's take on it. But yeah, I'm not sold on Tobey Mcguire, I don't think he's a good fit for Bilbo at all. For one thing, I'd rather have an actor that I don't really recognize that may have been a theater actor or something be brought in for this. Having Mcguire in this would just make me think of Emo Spidey the whole time. Bleh.

KevinCow

Banned
MarkMclovin said:

I surely hope so anyway.

From what I understand, it'll start out much lighter and kinda move towards the tone of the trilogy.

For those of you seriously worried that Toby Maguire may be casted as Bilbo they confirmed in the OneRing.net interview with Ian McKellen that he is not in the running to play the part. So you can breathe a sigh of relief.

LegendofJoe said:
For those of you seriously worried that Maguire may be casted as Bilbo they confirmed in the OneRing.net interview with Ian McKellen that Maguire is not in the running to play the part. So you can breathe a sigh of relief.
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

no emo bilbo confirmed

Another fun tidbit from the interview was that McKellen said that he is planning to persuade del Torro to let him have a singing part in the movie. I have a hard time imaging that but with his talent I'm sure it would turn out pretty good.

There are a lot of other interesting Hobbit production nuggets in that interview as well, if any of you have yet to listen to it you should.

Ceres

Banned
LegendofJoe said:
Another fun tidbit from the interview was that McKellen said that he is planning to persuade del Torro to let him have a singing part in the movie. I have a hard time imaging that but with his talent I'm sure it would turn out pretty good.

There are a lot of other interesting Hobbit production nuggets in that interview as well, if any of you have yet to listen to it you should.

He's probably more of a real singer than he is a real wizard.

my obligatory Extras reference any time I can use one

andycapps

LegendofJoe said:
For those of you seriously worried that Toby Maguire may be casted as Bilbo they confirmed in the OneRing.net interview with Ian McKellen that he is not in the running to play the part. So you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Best news of the day as far as I'm concerned.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Man, Spiderman 3 destroyed Maguire's rep. How quickly people forget that he used to be a respected young actor.

This is Neogaf.

Were you not around for Heath Ledger/Joker?

KevinCow

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Man, Spiderman 3 destroyed Maguire's rep. How quickly people forget that he used to be a respected young actor.

He was a respected actor? I've thought he was a terrible actor since Spidey 1.

KevinCow said:
He was a respected actor? I've thought he was a terrible actor since Spidey 1.

He was in a bunch of stuff before that, and he was fairly well-respected. I like him. He's not great, but he's the type of actor that you can tell has a lot going on under the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom